Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 10:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Stunning 2012 Hyundai Azera caught

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
I agree to your first part, but in second part i found it as DUD. I do own an i20 and 'living' with it.
Hey there... I just need some elaboration on the 'living' aspect with your i20. Everyone I see ..think the i20 as the 'class factor' 'premium segment' car...which I too tend to believe a little bit. But to say the least, I have seen endless threads of air condemner issues, is that in majority or in some rare cases? The interiors too look upmarket , so its hard to believe people using the term 'living' with it which indicates probably you're unhappy

My cousin owns an i20 (remote boot release..n all) and I own an Astar, so I feel very little in front of him (ofcourse i20 costs more) but should I be happy with what I have (I have no complaints with Astar except for the space)

So all this 'class' 'ubercool' ads...is it all a dream? Or i20 really delivers? Because we do see them in lots, really confusing!
Old 28th July 2011, 10:41   #17
BHPian

I appreciate the growth Hyundai has shown and me thinks its more to do with the aggressive nature of the Koreans. Its always better to aim higher and fall short than limit(ing) oneself.

These learnings would never go waste and the company will grow more stronger and focused. Looking at the recent launches, I do feel there will be a overkill of the fluidic concept. No sure if they are trying to replicate a la BMW snout here.
Old 28th July 2011, 10:41   #18
BHPian

Boring. Utter Boring.

Even when the new 'Fluidic' Verna was launched in India and the entire country went crazy over it, I never cared a bit for a first look, forget about the second.

If you look at the new Verna for more than 1 second, you can immediately spot the old one right underneath. Its like a couple of plasticky muscles lifted into the assembly line and forged on the older body directly.

This one feels the same. Too gaudy.

Last edited by SankalpDesai : 28th July 2011 at 10:44.
Old 28th July 2011, 10:48   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Boring. Utter Boring.

If you look at the new Verna for more than 1 second, you can immediately spot the old one right underneath. Its like a couple of plasticky muscles lifted into the assembly line and forged on the older body directly.
ummm, this here is with context to the fluidic verna, and the previous gen verna?
or previous gen original one vs the facelifted one?
Old 28th July 2011, 14:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ah, I never knew that there were so many Hyundai-haters in this forum until today. Maybe, we at Team BHP are turning out like Top Gear presenters, who are perenially Hyundai-haters.

Come on guys, lets give credit to a company which has grown astonishingly in the last decade with improvements in all aspects of car-making, be it in style, be it in engineering, be it in technology, anything you take about their cars, you see improvement. This happens with each of their models in each of their generations.

They started making cars with a license from Ford. Last year, they overtook Ford in global sales and ranking. IIRC, they got their first engine technology from Mitsubishi and now I hear that they supply engines to Mitsubishi. Lets not bash Hyundai for no particular reason. Instead, let's have a healthy discussion about their handling, which is the only negative aspect of Hyundais currently and one, that is literally blown out of proportion by everybody.
arvi86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 16:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Ah, I never knew that there were so many Hyundai-haters in this forum until today. Maybe, we at Team BHP are turning out like Top Gear presenters, who are perenially Hyundai-haters.

Come on guys, lets give credit to a company which has grown astonishingly in the last decade with improvements in all aspects of car-making, be it in style, be it in engineering, be it in technology, anything you take about their cars, you see improvement. This happens with each of their models in each of their generations.

They started making cars with a license from Ford. Last year, they overtook Ford in global sales and ranking. IIRC, they got their first engine technology from Mitsubishi and now I hear that they supply engines to Mitsubishi. Lets not bash Hyundai for no particular reason. Instead, let's have a healthy discussion about their handling, which is the only negative aspect of Hyundais currently and one, that is literally blown out of proportion by everybody.

I agree to every point there buddy! These guys make reliable cars which are definitely fun to drive, they are next best to Maruti when it comes to service quality and consistency! Yes, it is indeed true that these cars are not great handlers, but by no means are they unsafe until one wants to drive on a race track! Let's just put it this way - You should get used to handling your Hyundai!

When we see some of the giants making "great" cars with a lot of sensors which are breaking down every now and then, I don't see a reason why a reliable car maker has to be bashed for just a ugly looking car! (that's again subjective). For the record, yes I am a satisfied Hyundai owner!

Last edited by Added_flavor : 28th July 2011 at 16:51. Reason: Content addition
Old 28th July 2011, 17:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

They have most definitely got a very good hang of how to make the car work very well as a machine. Nobody is bashing them on that front, and congrats to them on becoming the 4th largest car manufacturer in the world.

But some people look for more than just a well oiled machine in their cars. For some people, their cars are not just something that get's them from point A to point B in slightly more comfort than other transport mediums.
Old 28th July 2011, 17:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

Sorry, why so much of noise – looks plastic , no soul, boring, handles like titanic!!!

Our personal preferences are alright, but we have a huge group of Hyundai lovers in the forum, and spare a thought for their sentiments. These are almost like hate mails.

I personally am no fan of Hyundai, and I may never choose to buy a Hyundai. But that’s my personal choice, and it does not mean that all others who buy a Hyundai are acting with no-mind.

Saw a comparison with Tata. Look the improvements from the two companies in past 10 years. IMHO, Hyundai have grown a great deal in comparison, globally as a company, and the product portfolio (as Hyundai brand) is much more impressive.

Note: I think car mentioned here is launching in the US market only, and they have not announced the plans for Europe or other markets.
Old 28th July 2011, 17:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I was waiting for somebody to write this. This thread has become more Hyundai bashing than the discussion about a particular international model.
This discussion is not going anywhere.

Last edited by A350XWB : 28th July 2011 at 17:40.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I agree to every point there buddy! You should get used to handling your Hyundai!
Rightly said. The present day Hyundais do so many things well that handling is not a deal-breaker for many. Know the car's limitations and drive accordingly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
But some people look for more than just a well oiled machine in their cars. For some people, their cars are not just something that get's them from point A to point B in slightly more comfort than other transport mediums.
. Those people have so many interesting options to choose from. There are Fiats, Fords, BMWs and Volkswagens of this world if all they want is the fun-to-drive factor. What I can't understand is that why is this statement "After all, it's a Hyundai and I will never put my money in a Hyundai costing so much" coming every time when Hyundai launches a new model. Every car company goes through a growth phase before becoming a global challenger. I am afraid Tata and Mahindra are going to go through the same kind of bashing internationally in the next decade or so until they up their game significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I was waiting for somebody to write this. This thread has become more Hyundai bashing than the discussion about a particular international model.
This discussion is not going anywhere.
Tell me about it and this is not the first time this is happening either.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:16   #26
BHPian

And till date, i think only Hyundai launches their cars fully loaded, with affordable price bracket. No other manufacturer has beaten that yet..

And do not forget that they are the ones who brought in the CRDI for us to taste first..

Last edited by Ford_madhan : 28th July 2011 at 20:17.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:37   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As somebody who has seen Hyundai Excel when it was still selling, I never would have dreamed that the same company would make such giant strides in quality and style.

This logic has grown stale and even obsolete now. The current generation of i10, i20, Verna can put most other brands in their segment to shame in quality and style. Hyundai cars do have soul, you have to live with one to discover it. They are silent souls, not boisterous ones.
Thanks chevelle for the input. The Azera looks stunning! Its a splendid effort by an Asian manufacturer to make its imprint in the developed markets.
Based on June 2011 sales, Hyundai is placed seventh in the US market, ahead of many other biggies who have been making automobiles since many light years! The Hyundai Elantra is the tenth best selling car in the US market (June 2011 sales) has sold more units than the VW Jetta, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and even the once best selling Honda Accord!
And the Hyundai Sonata is the 13th best selling car in the US market (June 2011 sales) ahead of the Honda Civic, VW Jetta and even the Honda Accord!
The first Hyundai Pony to go to the US market (import) in 1986, gave the brand nicknames like "cheap Asian imports" and "unreliable"in the US. Hyundai was forced to take a sabbatical from the US market and it was only in the late 1990's that it bounced back and gave many of the established manufacturers who had a long history, sleepless nights.
The new Azera will again prove that Hyundai is here to stay in the most competitive market of the world.
Please also have a look at this new thread to authenticate sales figures discussed here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post2447618

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th July 2011 at 20:56.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilanjar View Post
For a moment I thought the word 'caught' was used to say 'caught testing in India' ..how is it 'caught' if its displayed publicly in a auto show. Its misleading!

As far as looks go, very soon all cars will tend to look the same.

Skoda superb is one such example, a classy car at half the price ..so this car would be on the similar lines. But I guess this is a case of another Kizashi in the making....
Sirji, it is to be revealed in Los Angeles Auto Show which is later in the year. This one is caught on road, i don't know the location, but its in NA.

So it is not misleading.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
At the end of the day, it is still a Hyundai. Would you REALLY pay equivalent of a C-Class for a Hyundai in India?? Really? Also, I think it looks dated already. dont like it one bit. And Did I mention it was a Hyundai! Eek!

Will this come to India or not is a big question mark since we still don't have the Sonata here.

But as far as global cars are concerned, they have genesis at par with c-class and 3-series with space of 7-series. I have driven one and it is really a great car for its price. Its dynamics are way superior than its lesser priced siblings since it is RWD. The azera is more of a tourer that is going to be compared against avalon since it will be fwd. Azera is said to have quality, features of 5 series and space of 7 series. It is going to be priced between sonata and genesis. The starting price for Azera would be around $25000, compare that to sonata which starts at $19k and Genesis at $33k and you have a product right in the middle.

@vb-san, cyrus43

If you get an opportunity, please do drive the following from Hyundai stable.

Tiburon, Veloster, Genesis coupe, genesis sedan, Equus.

Your opinion will change about Hyundai after you drive the above cars.

Last edited by chevelle : 28th July 2011 at 21:02.
chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 21:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
IMHO once they adapted the fluidic styling - all thier cars are looking kind of the same. I dont find any diff between the new Azera and current Sonata, except in the size and few curves.

its boring IMHO.
While you are right that the fluidic designs make most of them look Similar, the Azera was always based on the Sonata of a particular generation. Search for a 2007 Azera & Sonata & you will know what I mean

Infact its very difficult to distinguish between the ANHV(in India), New Accent(in US) & the new Elantra (in US)

I know we have lot of bashers of Hyundai but I have started respecting them a lot as a company, they have grown by leaps & bounds. From a maker of Copied design cars to bringing fresh products.

They offer a lot VFM packaging which people are appreciating. Heck design & growth wise they are much better than some of the old Japanese brands like Suzuki who have never managed to gain foothold in anything beyond the small cars or Mitsubishi who aren't doing any worthy numbers anywhere.

I know of many folks shifting from a 3 series & C Class to the likes of Genesis & Eqqus happily.

They are already a threat to the Civic/Accord/Corolla/Camry in US.

Having said that they still have to create a brand i.e. the one word for themselves but I am sure that will happen too.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks