Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 18:10   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-sclassevolution_mini-copy-copy.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Did you get to keep any of those t-bhp plates with you?
Yes... in JPG format. See Sheel's post after yours.

cya
R
Old 30th August 2013, 20:29   #107
BHPian

Re: LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Finally, if the S-Class is at a standstill and another vehicle rapidly approaches it from behind, the indicators will flash repeatedly. The car will also pre-tighten the seat belts and apply the brakes automatically in order to prevent it from being pushed into an intersection...and to reduce whiplash.
Rehaan, I am sure MB is smarter about this but I am, but by applying the brakes automatically in anticipation of being rear ended, wouldn't the car end up getting impacted more? That is, if the car is allowed to move forward because of the impact wouldn't the force be dissipated to some extent? It would be worse if the occupants are sitting in the car without seat belts on!
Old 31st August 2013, 19:22   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
I am sure MB is smarter about this but I am, but by applying the brakes automatically in anticipation of being rear ended, wouldn't the car end up getting impacted more? That is, if the car is allowed to move forward because of the impact wouldn't the force be dissipated to some extent? It would be worse if the occupants are sitting in the car without seat belts on!
Yes, you are absolutely correct. But you must consider the following scenarios too:

1. Say, your car is standing at the mouth of a cliff and you are sitting in the rear seat, with your girl sitting next to you (I know it sounds ridiculous, but yeah, it may happen ). Now, if you are hit from behind, would you rather be at the bottom of the cliff or have a car that has its tail all bashed up??

2. The car is standing at a junction, waiting for the lights to turn green. Suddenly, the truck comes from behind and rear-ends you. Would you like to be pushed right into the middle of the junction, right where all the action is happening??

Since the car cannot anticipate what EXACTLY lies in the front, it relies on its own sophisticated systems (multiple airbags, seatbelt pretensioners, crumple zones, et al..) to protect the occupants from damage. You also need to take into account the possibility of whiplash, or the fact that the passengers may hit something inside the car if the car suddenly lurches forward.

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st August 2013 at 19:57.
mohitk1993 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 20:54   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Incredible review of an incredible car. You guys are making the auto magazines redundant - even when it comes to the quality of the pictures et al. The amazing thing is that lots of these features will probably trickle down to the Superb class cars in the next 10-15 years, so more of us will get to enjoy them. Agree with what lots of people have said about the intelligent lights on Indian roads. Also think Distronic would not work here even if the GOI issue was resolved, given our road conditions, and absence of lame markings. Agree with what some people have said about the looks of the S Class, but I do t think people have ever bought the S Class for its looks.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 11:15   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitk1993 View Post

Yes, you are absolutely correct. But you must consider the following scenarios too:

1. Say, your car is standing at the mouth of a cliff and you are sitting in the rear seat, with your girl sitting next to you (I know it sounds ridiculous, but yeah, it may happen ). Now, if you are hit from behind, would you rather be at the bottom of the cliff or have a car that has its tail all bashed up??

2. The car is standing at a junction, waiting for the lights to turn green. Suddenly, the truck comes from behind and rear-ends you. Would you like to be pushed right into the middle of the junction, right where all the action is happening??

Since the car cannot anticipate what EXACTLY lies in the front, it relies on its own sophisticated systems (multiple airbags, seatbelt pretensioners, crumple zones, et al..) to protect the occupants from damage. You also need to take into account the possibility of whiplash, or the fact that the passengers may hit something inside the car if the car suddenly lurches forward.
Point taken, Mohit! You've explained it very well!
Old 1st September 2013, 15:45   #111
BANNED

What a Mindblowing review Rehaan, so many WOW moments while reading it, very detailed one. Liked the Mobile app technology (Not sure if any other cars already have this ?) and ofcourse the ABC, way to go Mercedes.

This will surely do very well in the Indian market.
Old 1st September 2013, 19:36   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
Oh My God!! What a car!! Great review. Thanks.

Motivated me to work double hard for the upcoming CAT exam. Clear CAT. Do MBA. Get a great JOB. BUY THIS CAR.
Looks like I have competition
Great review and an amazing car. Scary too.
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:30   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
Oh My God!! What a car!! Great review. Thanks.

Motivated me to work double hard for the upcoming CAT exam. Clear CAT. Do MBA. Get a great JOB. BUY THIS CAR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimix View Post
Looks like I have competition
MBA types won't get this car - Only people who employ MBAs will get this car!!

Beautiful review. Spent the latter half of the morning in my office reading something that's, absolutely, of no value to me
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:07   #114
BHPian

Brilliant review of an almost unbelievable car...great to see MB once again pushing the tech envelope, almost approaching sci-fi levels of gadgetry. Would love to see this kind of tech trickle down to other cars in the years to come. Thread rated 5 stars, smashing review.
Old 2nd September 2013, 20:26   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
MBA types won't get this car - Only people who employ MBAs will get this car!!
Good one, mallumowgli! (interesting handle...I can picture you in the jungles of Kerala roaming around in your.... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Beautiful review. Spent the latter half of the morning in my office reading something that's, absolutely, of no value to me
It's like admiring the Taj Mahal or a gorgeous woman- admiring just because it's beautiful, not because you'll get it some day!
Top-Gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:48   #116
BHPian

Video: 2014 Mercedes S65 AMG Spotted

Looks good from some angles, bad from some. What do our fellow members think about it?
searchingheaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 23:11   #117
BHPian

Re: Video: 2014 Mercedes S65 AMG Spotted

Wow, simply wow!! I'm sure I will be getting S65 dreams tonight!!!

Even though it does not look as spectacular as the new S (I mean the normal versions such as the S500, etc.), it is still beautiful in its own right. However, what I really seem to miss are those subtle but noticeable touches that indicated the powerful nature of the beast. This gen seems to have everything toned down, everything from those quad-exhausts, the diffusers to the very-ordinary alloy design.

Also, that over-abundance of chrome at the front is also not to my liking, IMO.

But then, with a 6.0 V12 under the hood, does it matter anyways??
Old 3rd September 2013, 00:06   #118
BHPian

Re: Video: 2014 Mercedes S65 AMG Spotted

I guess Autogespot or GTSpirit (don't remember which one) even posted a pic from the shooting location.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:40   #119
Team-BHP Support

Re: LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
That is, if the car is allowed to move forward because of the impact wouldn't the force be dissipated to some extent?
TG - my explanation was within the part of the original post you quoted itself! ie. being pushed into junctions / whiplash (is worse than a slower dissipation of force).

Like others have explained in more detail: getting T-Boned at a junction is a lot more dangerous than getting rear-ended (which is probably the 'safest' type of hit you can take in a car, provided the basics of seat-belts and head restraints are in place).

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:52   #120
BHPian

Rehaan,
Nice review there! Just noticed that in the 2nd pic of this thread, the design of the front bumper on the right-most maroon S is different compared to the silver S standing next to it. Why is that so?
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks