Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2017, 18:29   #16
BHPian

Re: Next-generation Renault / Dacia Duster caught testing

IMHO, Duster is in it's own league. It's perfectly positioned between Sub-4 meter SUV's ( Brezza, Ecosport, TUV 300 ) and Premium C-SUV's like Jeep Compass. For people who prefer premium feel, Duster is not the choice! It has it's own customer base & will continue to do so
RAHS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 22:44   #17
BHPian

I hope they are not using the same Logan platform after all these years.
I like that it is still quite utilitarian, relatively simple and handsome, rear looks much better now. Hope the pricing is also "Utilitarian", gets 5 star safety and retains the current Dusters USP like ride and handling combo, then this would be my pick over the Creta.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 23:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I am looking for the people who misunderstood the all-new Verna to be a face-lift !

Come on Renault (and Dacia) I am ok with an evolutionary design - as long as it addresses the key issues, like say the flap type door handles.

I only hope they have taken the interiors a big step ahead, without which I see no point in a all-new Duster at all.
Agree totally. The swift retained it's shape over two generations,as did the Honda City, the Verna, and a handful of other cars which came with stunning, well accepted designs. Same holds true with the Duster. It was and it still remains a handsome SUV with strong basics. So why bash it.

It was the interiors that were a huge let down after a couple of years since launch. Bare essential interiors just don't cut it any more. The customer is very clear that a lakh or two extra does not matter if a car is loaded to the gills, amply proven by some Huyndais that are largely perceived as overpriced. Even if "premiumness" is absent, India wants features, which is Maruti's forte. This is where the fundamentally sound Duster needs to deliver.

Looking at the interiors, It is clear that the "premiumness" has not been dialed up substantially. The plastics are hard and Vitara Brezza quality.

But features are I think, acceptable.

I can make out Rain sensing wipers ( thick IRVM attachment assembly gives it away), Toggle switch like central console switches show Hill descent control, so Hill hold also should be present. Signs of a smart MID with steering mounted MID controls. Separate digital displays in each of the climate control dials. How much of this makes it to India, is anybody's guess though.

The interiors also look like they are preliminary prototypes, with only the feature list finalized. The ICE design and even the units are substantially different in both the pictures

Last edited by igp_79 : 1st September 2017 at 00:07.
igp_79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 06:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
All blink and miss. Surely they've kept it that way as the Dacia Duster is going strong as a cheap entry level offering in European markets.

But I don't see any future for the 'premium' Renault Duster in India, with such small changes only. The game has really moved on!
Why fix when it isn't broken? Duster is very strong for Dacia in Europe with its honest price tag. It is cheaper than the Fiesta in the UK! And if Duster moves upmarket, the Dacia badge isn't strong enough for it to compete with others. So, it is a very sensible move. But I do think they should have changed the door handle.

Coming to India, I am not even sure whether we will get the new Duster. From what I see, the Captur is going to replace it. Unless Renault plays with the positioning of both models. And in that case, the Captur may find it incredibly hard to crack the market. The Duster is too expensive here and there isn't a great deal of room left for Captur.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 15:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Dacia Duster interiors,

Attachment 1671102

source- Ferdfan
Not a huge fan of the AC vents being in the eye-level rather than the infotainment system. In the age of touchscreens, it is the media screen that should be placed as high as possible to avoid the driver taking their eye off the road for too long. Good example of this design is the Polo VI-gen. The AC vents can be lower and can always be adjusted.
Old 1st September 2017, 16:01   #21
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Even though the body shell is quite similar, I find it to be very smart looking. It has a certain elegant and understated look to it. Though yes, they could have made changes to the flap type door handle. Inspite of that I really like the way this car looks. It looks better than the cars like Creta and the Ecosport.

Edit- Just saw the interior pics. It looks quite elegant. Though the quality remains to be seen.
Old 1st September 2017, 16:06   #22
Team-BHP Support

I agree. I have no issues with external. Baring a few changes:

- Would love to see more evolutionary grill design. The current one is a chrome overdose.
- Would love to see a stronger body shell. Today it does not inspire any confidence.
- The current design in my opinion looks great from a read three quarter viewing angle.
- The grill is a big element of the front side view. I think they should work on it to make it more modern.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 12:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled

The second-generation Dacia Duster has been unveiled. The car is set to make its first public appearance at the Frankfurt Motor Show on September 12, 2017.

Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled-duster4.jpg

The current-generation Dacia Duster is sold as the Renault Duster in India. The new model is based on the same platform, but gets a redesigned exterior.

Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled-duster3.jpg

The profile of the second-generation Duster is similar to its predecessor. The front grille is wider and gets chrome inserts and while the headlight design is similar to the current model, it gets new LED daytime running lights. The car also gets redesigned bumpers with skid plates and more prominent roof rails. The mirror housings, roof rails and skid plates on the bumpers are finished in silver. The tailgate has been redesigned and the tail lights are now square in shape with LEDs. The car gets a new body colour - Atacama Orange and it rides on redesigned 17-inch alloy wheels.

Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled-duster2.jpg

Although the dimensions of the car haven't changed, Renault claims that its cabin space has been increased due to the front windshield being moved forward by 100 mm. The company also claims to have redesigned the interior of the Duster and added new features.

Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled-duster1.jpg

The new Duster is expected to retain the engines and transmissions that are used in the current model. That said, Renault has not revealed any plan to introduce the car in India.
TusharK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 12:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled

This is a minor facelift at best, really and they call it the next generation? Such a disappointing launch from Renault. The sheet metal is the same and so are the mechanicals. Seriously, there's nothing 'next-gen' about this package or perhaps, this is Renault's definition of 'next-gen' which is a shame. Sad treatment for Dacia; quite unlike the treatment Skoda receives from VW.
Old 2nd September 2017, 13:24   #25
BHPian

This upcoming model looks the same dimension wise compared to the outgoing model.
The orange shade makes it resemble the XUV 500 available in similar shade. Also the car in the middle in the wide angle shot, is the color shade deep green? Could someone throw some light regarding the color shade?
The tailgate design looks to be protruding outwards and hence looks much more chic. The tailgate design of the outgoing gen Duster is much more understated and clean and hence look much better in my opinion.
What stands out as an eyesore is the gaudy chrome designed grill with the rectangular frames! It looks completely out of the place and no where near close to the grill design on the current gen Duster.
Hope Renault keeps this new grill as an optional add on accessory and not a default grill.
Old 3rd September 2017, 07:03   #26
Team-BHP Support

Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 12th September 2017, 15:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

2018 Dacia Duster unveiled at the Frankfurt motor show.

Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled-0.jpg
Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled-1.jpg
Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled-3.jpg
Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled-imageuploadedfromios1_6.jpg
Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled-imageuploadedfromios2_7.jpg
Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled-autohomecar__wkgh0fm3rbuafrisaaa3a34liqw826.jpg
Next-gen Renault Duster unveiled-autohomecar__wkgh0fm3rbeaq_yaaacoo4hsvhe789.jpg

Quote:
the revamped SUV represents an evolutionary generation jump. It will retain tweaked versions of the same 1.5-litre diesel and 1.2 petrol motors as the outgoing model. It sits on the same platform as the old car, too, and is near-identical in terms of dimensions. But according to the brand’s design boss, every body panel is new.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th September 2017 at 15:43.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 13:09   #28
BHPian

johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 14:21   #29
BHPian

Wow... even after a missing an opportunity last year with the facelift, Renault continues with bland and not at all premium interiors in the second generation model as well!
I don't know why Renault is in love with that old touch screen unit, which they are offering in their mini-Duster a.k.a. Kwid.

That unit feels premium when you find it inside the cabin of 4.5 Lakh rupee car but the same look out of place in a car costing thrice that of Kwid.

Or is it because Renault is willing to create a space for their Capture (Kapture) in India and across the world?
Old 13th September 2017, 14:23   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Or is it because Renault is willing to create a space for their Capture (Kapture) in India and across the world?
Looks like Captur will be getting the same head unit in India. So no system differentiation on that front!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks