Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2019, 14:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chinese researchers using pigs during crash tests?

This is very disturbing and if this is true, we should boycott Chinese cars (unless they specifically denounce that such practice is not followed, like some of the cosmetic companies do).
This practice is not only inhuman, it is unscientific as well.

Quote:
A recent case study of crash test simulations in China has shown that some researchers are involved in extremely inhumane animal testing. Images released with the case study show live pigs being used as crash test dummies.

The study highlighted the case of one test that involved 15 young pigs, who were strapped into car seats and used as dummies for high-speed simulations. Many of these pigs were still very young, having only been alive for 70 or 80 days before they were used in the tests. In the tests, the animals were strapped into various different seatbelts for impact testing.

Half of the animals died in the tests, and the others were badly injured and likely traumatized from the experience.

The researchers said that it was necessary to use the young pigs because their bodies are very similar to that of a human child, and they were hoping to actually see what these crashes would do to ... ...
Continue reading

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2020 at 13:42. Reason: Adding an excerpt from the article.
Guna is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 14:45   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Chinese researchers using pigs during crash tests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is very disturbing and if this is true, we should boycott Chinese cars (unless they specifically denounce that such practice is not followed, like some of the cosmetic companies do) .
https://themindunleashed.com/2019/11...TxMo7EA4RaUFFM
Then Chinese are absolutely a law unto themselves. There are no Human Rights and Animal Rights and Copyright and Trademark laws or any such thing there that can be officially enforced by anyone else in the World. They are also in general a very alienist and cruel sort of ethnic type, when viewed from an external standpoint.

Just look at that horrible Yulin festival. Look at the blatant copies of all sorts of goods, cars, handbags, watches and pretty much anything. Including but not limited to fake Starbucks, fake Apple Store and what have you.

I dont think that there is any sense of “ethics” per se in that country. And nor are they easy to deal with.
shankar.balan is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 14:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is very disturbing and if this is true, we should boycott Chinese cars (unless they specifically denounce that such practice is not followed, like some of the cosmetic companies do).
This practice is not only inhuman, it is unscientific as well.
https://themindunleashed.com/2019/11...TxMo7EA4RaUFFM
Unfortunately the masses do not care and many will be ill informed and unaware of this practice.
What matters to them is bling and some flashy features to show off.
If this wasn't the case then Maruti would have been struggling to sell their tin cans and Tata would've topped the sales charts and cars across different segments would have been priced competitively.
Storm2.0 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 14:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It’s rather gruesome. But then again it is only a little over 25 years that live animal testing in crash testing more or less came to a stop in most of the west

https://www.peta.org/blog/25-year-an...ts-on-animals/
Jeroen is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 15:04   #5
BHPian

The Chinese foreign office spokesman said this about the news article :

"Well, the west did send a dog and then a few monkeys into space before sending one of their own. What we eat , who we copy and who dies in a crash test is entirely our business".

So case closed.

Last edited by srini1785 : 30th December 2019 at 15:08.
srini1785 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 15:11   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
The Chinese foreign office spokesman said this about the news article :

"Well, the west did send a dog and then a few monkeys into space before sending one of their own. What we eat , who we copy and who dies in a crash test is entirely our business".

So case closed.
Laika the poor Moscow stray dog that the Russians first sent off - it s frightening and disheartening and unutterably sad to think the poor animal would have literally starved to death all alone.

Humans are truly a wicked species.
shankar.balan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 15:31   #7
BHPian

This is madness! I'm so outraged that I'm gonna go drive my MG Hector into a river. Then maybe later, I could go home and have some yummy fried bacon for dinner.

Seriously, how is it different if the pig died as a crash test dummy or for bacon? How is this different from the countless number of other animals still being killed (for whatever purpose) in the U.S or every other country?

"..because..because..China man bad!"

I guess at this point, you don't really need a reason to boycott 'Chinese' products, do you?

(BTW, did you know that human cadavers have long been used as crash test dummies - Link)
jailbird_fynix is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 15:50   #8
BHPian

That's cruel.

IMO it would be a bias to blame a country or a specific population. Those who have visited biological labs such as toxicology, neuro-biology they would have witnessed how cruel man-kind becomes when it comes to our survival and comfort. Starting from dissection of a live frog in school education, millions of animals are killed all over the world every year.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 30th December 2019 at 15:52.
Thermodynamics is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 16:07   #9
KMT
BHPian

Quote:

Seriously, how is it different if the pig died as a crash test dummy or for bacon? How is this different from the countless number of other animals still being killed (for whatever purpose) in the U.S or every other country?

I guess at this point, you don't really need a reason to boycott 'Chinese' products,
My thoughts exactly, humans have long taken lives of other creatures for research and food, this is no different.
At least its not for recreation like hunting for sport or sport fishing etc.

The Chinese also are believed to extract human organs from condemned prisoners, at least some one else gets a new lease of life.

Anyway, I guess pigs that buy cars now know they can crash safely.

Last edited by SmartCat : 30th December 2019 at 21:41. Reason: :-)
KMT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 16:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
This is madness! I'm so outraged that I'm gonna go drive my MG Hector into a river. Then maybe later, I could go home and have some yummy fried bacon for dinner.

Well at least for non-vegetarians from Kerala there is a difference. We have already thought about this argument and wisely created a saying to absolve ourselves. There is a saying in malayalam - Konnal papam thinnal theerum. Which means the sin of killing something is absolved, if you eat it.

Jokes apart, Agree with the point. Human beings are hypocrites by nature. What makes us unique is not only creativity but also the ability to justify the deeds that we do and finding faults with what others do.
padmrajravi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 17:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post

I guess at this point, you don't really need a reason to boycott 'Chinese' products, do you?

(BTW, did you know that human cadavers have long been used as crash test dummies - Link)
Agree, this may not be a reason enough for boycotting. After all we have been using the medicines which are probably a result of years of testing on 'animals'. Humans are known to exploit animals in variety of ways, including in agriculture. It is a sad world we live in.
Guna is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 17:11   #12
BHPian

Well the question is why are Chinese manufacturers using pigs? Are crash test dummies not available or are they not reliable?

If a viable alternative is available and they still insist on using young pigs then that is reason enough to boycott them.
Relax&Cruise is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 17:54   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax&Cruise View Post
Well the question is why are Chinese manufacturers using pigs? Are crash test dummies not available or are they not reliable?
The cost of pigs versus the cost of dummies, might be one reason. Dummies are quite expensive!
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 18:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

Meanwhile, Indian companies (Except for a few products) continue to use us as guinea pigs when it comes to crash safety.

The Chinese are at least a step ahead of us, and we call for their boycott. The irony!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (85) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 18:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
That's cruel.

IMO it would be a bias to blame a country or a specific population. Those who have visited biological labs such as toxicology, neuro-biology they would have witnessed how cruel man-kind becomes when it comes to our survival and comfort. Starting from dissection of a live frog in school education, millions of animals are killed all over the world every year.
Live animal dissection was one reason I decided to stay clear of the medicine field.
pseudo_coder is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks