Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should Jeep sue Mahindra in India for copying the Wrangler?
Yes 358 72.32%
No 137 27.68%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2021, 15:18   #16
BANNED

Re: Australia: Jeep drags Mahindra to court over Thar design

In all honesty, the Thar does have more than a passing resemblance with JEEP Wrangler.
I really wonder, they designed this vehicle from a clean sheet of paper, why choose a resemblance even?
Surely they would have known what they were going to face, as they already were battling in USA for ROXOR.
They could have easily made the front look more like XUVish or something. Also, they do own design studios in Europe, UK so not having good aesthetic designers in the company is surely not the reason.

Am I missing something or some design philosophy!!!

Seems to me they wanted this situation to happen.
Old 12th May 2021, 16:03   #17
BANNED

And Mahindra is also preparing a 5 door Thar

I have been imagining that it will look like a 5 door Wrangler only any way, now the bigger car means bigger profits and more injury to the insult of Jeep! Call me whatever you wish, but I am liking these developments. We will have something look like a Wrangller at 30% the price, and have it sell like hot cakes, while the Jeep will be struggling to sell even in 2 digits.

No wonder, they will want Mahindra to pay some royalty, and that makes sense too. Better let Mahindra copy the design and Jeep earn the royalty.

Mahindra and Jeep, both are giving you a Jeep, it's just that the Jeep being given by Mahindra is more Jeep per rupee/dollar as compared to the Jeep being given by the Jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryaj View Post
Unless FCA have active Patent/ design Patents surrounding the Wrangler they can't do anything with respect to alleged design copy.
Two points here, they have two channels of rescue:
  • Patent Co-operation Treaty
  • Uncle Biden and his phone

First one can directly impact Mahindra, but they don't offer the seven slat grille any more on the Thar.

Second one is an indirect way which starts from Washington, then to Delhi and, then to Nashik. This requires a lot of pressure, and is extremely hard to implement.

Last edited by VKumar : 12th May 2021 at 16:09.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 16:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi2un View Post
We are used to seeing the Chinese pull this kind of design rip offs, now Mahindra is doing the same in India. It brings a bad name to our industry on the whole. Considering they even had Pinnanfarina under their wing but still had to make a fake wrangler is disappointing. This will get more interesting when they release the 4 door Thar.
Rightly said, we have seen replica of Range Rovers, Rolls Royce and many other cars but I think they are all home based (i.e. China) and not sold outside. Now Thar cannot be compared to Jeep Wrangler because of various points -

1. Price. Thar is under 15 Lakhs and Jeep Wrangler even after localization is close to 60 Lakhs, that is 4 times the price. Then since its sales are limited so are the Repair shops and then getting the parts on the go will not be easy.
2. Mechanically both cars are different too. Not just Engine wise but if you look at the Off-road capability of the Jeep, with all the diff locks, low-ratio and sway-bar.

I know from outside they look identical in a lot many ways but so did the other Jeeps that were made by Mahindra. What I feel is that FCA does fear that Thar at this price, if launched in other countries will cannibalize sales for Jeep (whatever is left of it).
I know that Australia is not their strong-hold for sure but given that XUV500 is being sold their, FCA feared that selling Jeep will not be easy. Maybe this was a way of FCA wanting to be in the NEWS, telling the World that "We are also making sales and want to protect our IP".

And you have also made a very valid point about the 5 Door Thar, the 3 door is making so much money for them (You can say there is overbooking and under-delivery as of now). I am sure we'll see good numbers for the 5 Door too, whenever it is launched in the nearing future.
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 16:50   #19
BHPian

As much as I see a valid claim behind this, this is definitely not the first time something like this has happened. As we speak there are Chinese companies that are freely selling cars that are quite evidently copied from the Western markets including the likes of Jeep.

Jeep also has a presence in India and from a legal point of view, I fail to understand why couldn't FCA drag Mahindra to court if they were so confident about the 'copying' aspect since the Thar is eating local sales of Jeep and not Australian. Seems more of a cheap intimidation tactic to me over anything else.
Old 12th May 2021, 17:26   #20
BHPian

In India, I believe Mahindra has some legal backing due to old contracts with Jeep to use their designs.

In my opinion, Mahindra should gracefully stop copying Jeep designs since they are not working together anymore. Especially when the Wrangler design they copied is not from the era when they had collaboration with Jeep.
pradeep_mvpa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 17:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

The Federal Court of Australia today, legal representatives for Jeep and Mahindra went head-to-head to dispute the terms of an agreement which would effectively ban the Mahindra Thar – a Jeep Wrangler look-a-like – from being marketed and sold in Australia.

Quote:
In addition to Jeep commencing Australian Consumer Law proceedings against Mahindra for alleged “misleading and deceptive conduct”, “passing off”, and “infringement of registered designs”, the US car giant is seeking an undertaking Mahindra will not launch the Thar in Australia – and provide at least 90 days written notice if ever there was an intention to do so.
Mahindra had published an expressions of interest page on its Australian website (pictured below).
Australia: Jeep drags Mahindra to court over Thar design-1.jpg

Quote:
Although the page has since been taken down, respondents to the email list were advised by Mahindra: “Thank you for your enquiry on the all-new Mahindra Thar. As we get closer to launching this exciting new vehicle in Australia, we will communicate with you via this email address.
The direct marketing email from Mahindra then listed links to Mahindra’s Australian website and social media pages.

Quote:
The court heard one Mahindra Thar vehicle “has been imported into Australia for testing,” however the certification process known as homologation “has not commenced and no vehicles are available (for sale) … in Australia”.
John Hennessy (SC), representing Mahindra, told the court that before today’s hearing, Jeep was “provided with a letter that informed them … that Mahindra had no present intention to import and sell the Thar vehicle in Australia”.

The Mahindra representative repeated claims his client currently has no intention of introducing the Mahindra Thar vehicle in Australia. This is despite a recent – but since discontinued – promotion on Mahindra’s Australian website.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 17:50   #22
BHPian

If Mahindra should have entered into a JV with anyone in the world it should have been Jeep. If it was so, then we would have seen a lot of awesome 4x4s and SUVs jointly developed by Jeep and M&M which they can also sell in markets around the world, especially Europe, Australia and African markets.

Although with M&Ms anti-Midas touch I wonder how it would ever have progressed.

M&M has a good market in Australia. They have decent sales of Scorpio 4x4 and 4x2 Pick-up versions and to a lesser extend XUV500s too there in Australia where many consider the Scorpio pik-up as a cheaper but capable alternative to Toyota Hilux.

Mahindra would have been legitimately planning to launch the Thar in Australia and FCA would have got wind of it hence this swift and aggresive action from their side.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 12th May 2021 at 17:51. Reason: Typo
ZenMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 18:35   #23
AZT
BHPian

I like the Thar, would probably buy the 5 door version when it comes out. But I wish the design team had done a better job of "not plagarizing" so much of the Wrangler.

The reason we like the Thar is because it's a great design, problem is they didn't make it from scratch and just slightly modded an existing looker.
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 18:47   #24
BHPian

It seems like Mahindra doesn't have faith in its own design and engineering prowess.
When will they realise putting an O at the end or copying jeeps is not what's selling their units.
Tata were copying Mercedes initially but they got away from it when they matured in terms of design.
Turbo yoda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 19:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thar is of-course a blatant copy, Mahindra should be taken to court by FCA. Why cant they come up with something on their own even after so many years and even after owning a design company somewhere in Europe (Pinafirinna, if I am not mistaken)

It gives India a bad name and shows how unimaginative Mahindra really is. Imagine someone doing this kind of plagiarism to you and you will realize how un-ethical this practice is.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 20:54   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Why was this not a problem when Thar CRDe released? Perhaps these Wrangler fans were too young 10 years back or just plain it did not matter.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 22:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Cartoq also has an article on this issue, seems like Mahindra had posted a teaser for Thar in the Australian papers or digital media. Link to the Cartoq article below:

https://www.cartoq.com/new-thar-teas...ahindra-court/
Old 12th May 2021, 22:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Why was this not a problem when Thar CRDe released? Perhaps these Wrangler fans were too young 10 years back or just plain it did not matter.
I'm guessing the Americans were too busy collecting government handouts, so spending money on high price lawyers to defend a design wouldn't be good publicity. The thar operates in the segment that jeep abandoned, bare bones function with style, instead of lifestyle-poser cringe.

Great that FCA has money for this while paying for a new tesla factory. https://europe.autonews.com/automake...ment-bank-says
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 23:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Thar looks so close to the Wrangler. Wrangler buyer looks like an idiot in front of common Indians! Who pays 65 Lakhs for a car that looks like our Thar!
Fun fact, people don't only buy cars for their looks. And if you've seen them in person, the Thar looks like the small, ugly cousin of the Wrangler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Mahindra and Jeep, both are giving you a Jeep, it's just that the Jeep being given by Mahindra is more Jeep per rupee/dollar as compared to the Jeep being given by the Jeep!
To think that Mahindra and Jeep are selling the same product (a jeep) at different prices is wrong.

The Thar might be similar (but still much worse) in the looks department, but cannot hold a candle to the Wrangler in any other department, be it performance, comfort, luxury, reliability or durability.

They are probably giving you the same jeep per rupee/dollar. What one will choose depends on how much you can/would spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The Thar CRDe is not a copy of either the current or even previous generation Wrangler. It looks more like a modified Wrangler CJ. Jeep obviously wouldn't care about Mahindra selling a CJ lookalike since it's a 75 year old design. It's also much closer to the jeep that Mahindra had the license to build in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The thar operates in the segment that jeep abandoned, bare bones function with style, instead of lifestyle-poser cringe.
Funny since Mahindra abandoned that segment too with the new Thar, which is the embodiment of lifestyle-poser cringe. At least the Wrangler never lost or sacrificed capability over the years, and in fact only got better in those aspects.

The new Thar throws capability and durability out the window for looks and comfort in a perfect 'lifestyle-poser cringe' pivot

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2021 at 08:22. Reason: Please be calm, polite & respectful even in debate. STRICTLY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or rude posts on Team-BHP
imranstael is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 00:00   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
Fun fact, people don't only buy cars for their looks.

And if you've seen them in person, the Thar looks like the small, ugly cousin of the Wrangler.

Quite a hatefully, borderline mocking toned post, this.

Anyways, here is a pic of a Thar and a Wrangler side-by-side. Doesnt really look that ugly to me.
https://gaadiwaadi.com/wp-content/up...5-1068x534.jpg

And for a person who says that people dont buy a vehicle just for looks, you sure did bring the looks up plenty of times. Anyways, you are indeed correct, people dont buy a vehicle just for looks. Some people buy it because it is the cheapest ladder-on-frame 4x4 in the country, and is costs about 1/3 of a fortuner.

Funny that you bring up reliability, given FCA's notoriety for it. FCA makes the most unreliable vehicles on the planet, barring (maybe) Maserati(which 5-starBHP-ian Jeroen believes doesnt exist) and Alfa Romeo. But dont take my word for it, read for yourself. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-jee...-cars-of-2020/

This is what the owner of the forum, GTO has to say about the Thar, after owning a Jeep classic for 24 years.

Quote:
My God, the Thar looks astonishingly handsome & screams style! I have fallen for it hook, line & sinker. The “Jeep” styling & proportions are spot on (Jeep Wrangler xerox copy notwithstanding). It attracted as much attention as a yellow Porsche or red Mustang in Bombay and is an absolute head-turner. Kids young, citizens old & everyone else in between admire the Thar with glee. My sole complaint is with the front grille design, which can thankfully be swapped for a 7-slot Jeep-style unit in the after-market easily. The Thar has terrific presence. People move out of your way and never cross hairs at junctions or roundabouts. On the expressway, little hatchbacks & sedans moved out of the way as they saw me approach them (in their mirror) with the headlights on.

Just like my 1997 Mahindra Classic, I decided to buy the 2020 Thar without a test-drive. Within the first km of driving it last weekend, I knew this is the Jeep for me.

The build quality is tough, will withstand offroading abuse and it felt like I’m driving a “tank” in the city. Huge on the feel-good factor. Cruising around town and then Bandra, I felt like a King. This Jeep just makes you feel real, real special.
Looks like you're wrong about the build quality as well.

And the sheer number of times the word "cringe" was used, made me question if I'm on a teen meme sharing sub-reddit.

PS: Credit where its due, the italicized part of the post is spot on. And something I totally agree with.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2021 at 07:49. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts
turbo is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks