Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2022, 19:28   #46
BHPian

Re: Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan

For me the G11 has to be the best looking generation of the 7 series.
Also, this has to be the worst generation of BMW designs, not one car has managed to look good from this generation. I always liked the Bangle era BMWs and this makes them look like masterpieces
DIV17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 19:37   #47
BHPian

Re: Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How on earth did a weird, strange, awkward & ugly design pass the many layers of approvals?
Aftermarket companies like Hamman and Dinan could or rather, should make bumpers and lights which are sold as aftermarket parts that make it look better.
Old 22nd April 2022, 21:20   #48
BHPian

While the exteriors can be somewhat digested over time, the interior bits like the dashboard are painful to look at with that crystalline strip and asymmetrical design bits.

Considering that's what owners will be viewing most of the time, it's very amateurish and screams cheap rather than classy!
Old 22nd April 2022, 22:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Official sketches of the 7-Series!

Attachment 2299409
Just from the front 3 quarter view, I can make out that the silhouette is aping a Rolls Royce Phantom. With BMW owning the majority stake in RR, maybe the brief for the design team was to make it a mini-Phantom so that the clientele could be kept under the same "umbrella"
sharkashwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 23:14   #50
BHPian

IMHO, the only sore point in the design of the 7 series is its god aweful grill. Barring that, I think it looks a mean machine.
Old 22nd April 2022, 23:43   #51
BHPian

After reading all this, I still wouldn’t be surprised if the car is sold out within minutes of launch.
Remember the iX ? It sold out so soon that people didn’t even get time to react.

I think post Covid, many people are having FOMO and are willing to lap up anything at any price.

Not only cars, i am taking about everything….like NFT, expensive wines, Ola scooters, the Maybach GLS, the New S class..list is endless.

People are just throwing caution in the wind and going all out.
drjaygoyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 23:55   #52
BHPian

There's no denying that the best part of the pictures is the background. And as for the car, it looks out of the world. but hey, so are aliens.
Old 23rd April 2022, 06:34   #53
BHPian

Have to totally agree about the ugliness of this new BMW. Especially after seeing this impeccably maintained/restored 1975 beauty during a walk in Houston.

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-img_1865a.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-img_1866.jpg

I have a gripe against Tata too on how they "spoilt" the looks of the Defender totally.
mr.sinha is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 07:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkashwa View Post
Just from the front 3 quarter view, I can make out that the silhouette is aping a Rolls Royce Phantom. With BMW owning the majority stake in RR, maybe the brief for the design team was to make it a mini-Phantom so that the clientele could be kept under the same "umbrella"
Rather than the Phantom, it feels like BMW designers have decided to mimic the new RR Ghost. The Ghost was always based on a modified 7 series platform, if I'm not wrong. Now they have started sharing design too.
Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-picsart_042307.28.02.jpg
GKR9900 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:27   #55
BHPian

I saw this car in person, parked inconspicuously, in the same shade of grey. And could not look away! It really creates tremendous impact with its bonnet length, clean silhouette and yeah, that grill. No debate in my head at least to give this styling a thumbs up.
Old 23rd April 2022, 11:39   #56
BHPian

I personally love the new design. It is so striking when you compare it to the boring designs from Mercedes & Audi, which look plain lazy in comparison. Its like Mercedes & Audi don't even want to try anymore. Cannot wait to see the new 7-Series in person.
CalmConquests is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 14:48   #57
BHPian

Second year of college, 2008-09 I went through a phase, inspired by the bad boys of English music. I decided to grow my hair out, brought a bunch of black T-shirt’s and started to learn the guitar. Unlike my Caucasian idols, I had curly hair, ended up with an Afro, the general 80-85% humidity coupled with the 33 degree Celsius temperatures meant I was getting baked in my black tee's and my complete lack of music talent meant that my attempts at being Jimmy Page was sadly cut short.

I sincerely hope this version of the BMW 7 series is them going through such a phase. A car is an emotion. An extension of the owners personality. All bling and loud is unfortunately what the world seems to be demanding. Hopefully this too shall pass. In the meantime, congratulations Mercedes, you have this era of luxury barges all to yourself.
Air_Kerala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 17:13   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Rather than the Phantom, it feels like BMW designers have decided to mimic the new RR Ghost.
+1 surely looks so.

Lot is being said about the new BMW designs and I too belong to the group of people being left extremely disappointed by the "New Age" BMW designs.

Sure these might turn to be just as livable as the current-gen 7-series and X7 available in India (surely not lookers in any sense) over a period of time but it is still hard to let it sink in.

I believe BMW has gone a bit too over the top with the 7 and has given it the Rolls-Royce kind of design language (look at the front 3 quarter) with the slab-sided front and high shoulder line.

I believe they are targeting the Maybach / Rolls-Royce customers with the 7 and this is where it loses its character. IMO they should have kept the inherent sporty spirit of the BMWs for the current range and should have gone for a sub-brand for a more comfort-oriented chauffer-driven class (read India and China) to compete with the super luxurious Maybachs and Rolls Royces.

I had recently started fearing the extinction of the ICE cars and not being able to possess some of the best marvels of engineering as far as the ICE cars are concerned (read BMWs), however now seeing the current design language of the BMW cars I have also started fearing if it would be even possible to possess a sporty, classic and legendary BMW design which are being endangered by the hideous, disproportionate designs of the current age.

Evolutionary designs are still understood and welcomed but out of the world, revolutionary disconnected designs are certainly not! Why does everyone have to go for split headlamp designs? - that too in a sedan? - a luxury sedan?

I gave it a try to make these designs "likable" and below are the comparisons for reference. If I had a choice - this is the one which looks the best of the lot. For consolation, if any, the dechromed darker shades might still look livable in comparison to the 'chrome full' lighter shades.

Name:  20220420063215_7er_760i_xdrive_85112.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  103.8 KB

More comparisons with the original

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6099compare.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-xdrivecompare1.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-xdrivecompare2.jpg
BoxBox is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 22:31   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW i7 or Mercedes-EQS?

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  102.2 KB

Link
Old 24th April 2022, 06:28   #60
BHPian

Mandate in team bhp is loud and clear : the car looks ugly.
'What if' the car sales proves us wrong ??

1. No more polls and discussions in Team Bhp on upcoming cars looks and designs

2. Bhpians flocking BMW showroom to see the car in flesh and rub our eyes.

3. Checking with the new owners what is so appealing in this ugly design? Are we so outdated on NextGen likes and dislikes?

4. Try to sketch an 'ugly' version of our own possession and start a new thread

5. Try to find other reasons that attracted buyers to make this ugly car a superhit

6. Just chuck it, must be a fluke, it happens sometimes

7. Any other...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks