Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2012, 17:15   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Believe it or not, I got my Indian license after a driving test & NJ license after just an online test
Hehe that kinda figures, given that NJ is filled with Indians
Old 30th November 2012, 20:50   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hehe. Here in New Hampshire, no one adheres to the speed limit. Even if you are driving 20 above, you will find people driving faster than you. Important thing is to find the middle ground, and the middle lane!
As for tailgaters, the rules are pretty clear about what to do with such people. Move over! Or even take an exit if that does not work.
Isn't that more true for the areas closer to Boston in NH? I would think the rustic old NH up state would be far more law abiding and people would stick to speed limits more diligently there. Just my feeling.. I have seen the same in urban Texas vs rural Texas.
Old 30th November 2012, 21:05   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Isn't that more true for the areas closer to Boston in NH? I would think the rustic old NH up state would be far more law abiding and people would stick to speed limits more diligently there. Just my feeling.. I have seen the same in urban Texas vs rural Texas.
I have not really seen any difference between drivers upstate and closer to Boston. Maybe because Boston is not that big a city anyway.
Old 30th November 2012, 22:28   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I am not very picky about area. Would have preferred Toronto Downtown but obviously that is somewhat beyond my budget. Missisauga looks like a good tradeoff. And its not as if its a village either!!
You are better off in Mississauga! Downtown is nice but just driving in/out will be a major pain especially when you have family in Mississauga/Brampton.

Drive to downtown during off peak hours, see the sites and drive back after everyone has left .
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 02:36   #1520
BHPian

NORTH AMERICANS: Driving plans for the coming year end holiday season

Hi all
just curious to hear from fellow North Americans what their plans are for the coming year-end holiday season.

I just got roped into a trip to Gatlinburg in the Smokey Mountains in TN for Dec 20th thru 25th.

Before that I may make a quick trip to NY/NJ in the second week of December, and another probable trip to Peoria and Champaign Urbana on the first weekend of December.

Basically starting this thread to map who will be where in the coming few days. If I happen to cross paths with some fellow BHP-ians over the next few weeks, it will be a welcome bonus before the rut of domestic and work life resumes in January.

Cheers!

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 1st December 2012 at 02:58.
NinadJoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 02:47   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Re: NORTH AMERICANS: Driving plans for the coming year end holiday season

Neat idea!
I will be driving from Nashua, NH to Brampton ON tomorrow. Will remain in that area for next two weeks and then drive back on 12/15. Return journey will have a night halt to let the kids get a break.
Old 1st December 2012, 03:18   #1522
BHPian

I'm planning a 4-5 days trip to LA + San Diego with wife. Will be starting on 22nd (or 21st evening) and coming back on 25th or 26th. We've already been on highway 1 till big sur, so mostly will not go via that route again to save some time.

Any suggestions on things to do and places to stay are most welcome.
Old 2nd December 2012, 00:18   #1523
Senior - BHPian

We should be in Chicagoland throughout. Both long weekends are not long weekends for wifey. She has 24th and 31st working days. We are going to enjoy the sights and sounds of Chicagoland.
Old 2nd December 2012, 00:54   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi
Hi all
just curious to hear from fellow North Americans what their plans are for the coming year-end holiday season.

Before that I may make a quick trip to NY/NJ in the second week of December

Cheers!
Ping me once you are in NY/NJ, would love to meet up
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 02:17   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I'm planning a 4-5 days trip to LA + San Diego with wife. Will be starting on 22nd (or 21st evening) and coming back on 25th or 26th. We've already been on highway 1 till big sur, so mostly will not go via that route again to save some time.

If you have only been till Big Sur on the PCH from the North, I assume, you haven't even begun to see the beauty. It's south of Big Sur that's really worth seeing.

Was in LA last weekend. Just stuck to the coast. Stayed at Marina Del Rey. Hung around Santa Monica, Malibu and Long Beach. There is always Disneyland and other such attractions although, you typically need a dedicated day for each one of these if you want to fully explore them. Besides, waiting 40 minutes at every ride is simply not my cup of tea.

I stick to the La Jolla area in San Diego. Took the whale watching boat trip. Awesome. Again, you have the Zoo and Sea World etc., the popular attractions.

We tend to visit Jazz bars and varied cuisines and stuff and tend to skip thru the crowded local attractions. That may not be what you want to do though.

Last edited by VLOCT : 2nd December 2012 at 02:22.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:54   #1526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Depends a bit what you would like to do/see. But there is so much you can't go wrong. Do try Disneyland and make sure you make optimal use of your fast pass. It's free and it means you don't spend hours in line. See http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gue...ces/fast-pass/

Try and get on some of the cruises, whale/dolphin watching or just nice to be out on the water and relax. Along the coast you rent some bicycles and explore. Venice beach is worth a visit, if anything just for people watching.

Here's what we did when we were in California:
http://jeroendorrestein.com/Frances%...alifornia.html
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:16   #1527
BHPian

I might be In Indianapolis Itself. Our testing facility is shut down from 21 Dec to 1 st Jan.

If it gets too boring, I might pack up and drive to TX, FL , New Orleans etc.

If somebody droves by Indianapolis, Feel free for a quick pit stop with some coffee.
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:39   #1528
BHPian

I have a shutdown at work, planning to solo drive from LA to Salt Lake city, I had planned this last year, I hope I can make it this time around. tentatively this is my route

LA-Zion-Bryce-Torrey-Arches-SLC and back

Quote:

Like everyone says, there is a lot to see and do around LA. Depends on how much time you want to spend.
Beaches are an option, but be prepared for a cold day out there. Fog is also something you need to consider during mornings at the beach. I'm sure you know how the Pacific gets during this time of the year. Venice Beach is unique and a must if you haven't been there before. The beaches south are nicer like Huntington Beach or Newport.

If you visiting Disney or Universal, its an easy one day. And like Jeroen mentioned do get the Front of the line Pass, for sure its going to be crowded.

If you are into hiking there are umpteen number of trails around here, let me know if you are interested I can give you some nice trails.

You can visit Big Bear lake, for snow activities around there(Man made snow though)

Visit Griffith Observatory, you get a good view of the city and Hollywood Sign from here.

La Brea Tar Pits, is not a very popular place but I like it. Its a cluster of tar pits, and Over many centuries, animals that were trapped in the tar are being removed even today. These fossils are kept in the museum and still many of the pits are regularly excavated by researchers.

If you are a foodie, I can list some nice spots.

I'm not sure if I will be around during the time, but will PM my number you can call me for any help around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Was in LA last weekend. Just stuck to the coast. Stayed at Marina Del Rey. Hung around Santa Monica, Malibu and Long Beach.
Next time you let me know when you are around, would have been nice to meet up.

BTW any BHPians around Boston area??

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 3rd December 2012 at 20:44.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:05   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post

Next time you let me know when you are around, would have been nice to meet up.
Sorry kraft. Was compeletely last minute and unplanned, as usual. Being the Thanksgiving weekend, we didn't want to intrude, seeing that usually everyone is entertaining some family or friends.

Will definitely hook-up when I'm in LA next.
Old 4th December 2012, 03:09   #1530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For LA, there are many things to do. Some are listed below

- Universal Studios (1 day)
- DisneyLand (1+ day)
- Griffith Observatory
- Beaches (Venice, Santa Monica, Malibu)
- Hollywood Sign
- Mullholand Drive (Don't miss the Hollywood Lookout which last spot before 101 starts)
- Rodeo Drive
- China Town
- Petersen Auto Museum
- Hollywood walk of fame, Kodak theater, madam Tussaud's
- Beverley Hills tour of star's house

There are many more things to do, may be local members can put in more.

For San Diego, here are some options

- Sea World (1 day)
- Mission Beach
- Downtown
- USS Midway Museum (Don't miss this)
- San Diego Zoo
- Point Loma
- Coronado Island
- Gondola Ride in the backwaters (Hidden Gem which not many people know)

I stayed in ABVI near LAX. It was a great location, cheap price, good quality hotel. Beds were comfortable, quiet and good breakfast. In San Diego, we stayed at Comfort Inn in National City. Again Beds were comfortable, quiet and good breakfast.

If you need more info, PM me.
Thanks

Last edited by chevelle : 4th December 2012 at 03:24.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks