Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2012, 05:25   #31
J.B
BHPian

Re: 2012-13 Silly Season is here !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
I think we are going off a tangent here,

Firstly you were asking for proof about Senna being a pay driver, which I gave you. So that is out of the way atleast.
Yes and no. I wanted to know if Senna is also widely criticized in the media as Maldonado is, with rants like "He made it only because of his money or name". Your links surely helped to get some insight.

Quote:
Now, you're comparing Bruno Sennas early breaks in F1 to the likes of Niki Lauda, Alain Prost and Michael Schumacher....
I guess you got me wrong here. It was not to compare Bruno's breaks with the other legends. It was merely a reply to your previous comment -

"However, the fact that these drivers have to pay for their seats is because there are other, more talented drivers out there that dont get a chance because they dont have big name sponsors backing them or because their sponsors cant pay enough."

I am just saying if the teams can be 100% sure on a rookie that he would for sure take their performance to a new level, they would put the money on him, does'nt matter if they bring money or not. Sadly, it is not the case and that is why even MS had to pay to get his first drive. So, in reality, the teams would obviously go for the safest bet. But, if you look at the recent past the top 4 or 5 drivers from GP2 have all found a test driver position or a racing seat in F1.

If Bruno does'nt shine this season he will be replaced for sure and I think Williams has gone with the safest bet possible for them this year, someone who has been in F1 for the past two years and has shown some promise (runner up in GP2, after starting his racing career just 4 yrs back is no easy feat) and of course, the money. If Sutil was available, he would have been the preferred choice.
Old 10th July 2012, 15:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Mark Webber signs new Red Bull deal | Red Bull | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

It will make Massa very happy!
Old 10th July 2012, 16:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Looks like there will largely be stability at Ferrari, Red Bull and Mclaren for atleast one more season. Mercedes depends on the team and Schumacher's decision. I can see Paul Di Resta joining them in case MS decides to call it quits (which I hope he wont do)

Vettel will be a free agent in 2014, so I think that is where the potential for some real ruffling up of the order exists. Not to mention the all new regulations that come into place for '14.
Old 10th July 2012, 18:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like there will largely be stability at Ferrari, Red Bull and Mclaren for atleast one more season. Mercedes depends on the team and Schumacher's decision. I can see Paul Di Resta joining them in case MS decides to call it quits (which I hope he wont do)

Vettel will be a free agent in 2014, so I think that is where the potential for some real ruffling up of the order exists. Not to mention the all new regulations that come into place for '14.
I think MS still has a point to prove, he should want to set that straight in 2013.
In Silverstone it was very clear that MS has not lost any of his skill in the wet. He was supreme. Pity about him having to change tires right before his Q3 flying lap which did not allow him to push.

For Vettel I see his commitment to Red Bull being a partnership with Adrian Newey. He will stay if Newey does. (A lot like MS & the old Ferrari technical team) Seb wlll probably consider Ferrari again 3-5 years later, depending on performance ofcourse. Ferrari's historical status in F1 and unique position as a global brand is undeniable.

One reason for Webber not to shift was that 1 year would have been too short a time to get on top of his game at a new team. No point moving and then being blown away by Alonso. A long term scenario is a separate case altogether.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 20:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Great news for Webber. He has been in fine nick this year, hence the logical decision to stick with him for 2013. I still think Ferrari need to replace Massa, despite his recent form. Ferrari have not won a constructors trophy in 4 years. And Massa won his last race in 2008. No coincidence that. Time for some new blood at the scuderia.
Old 10th July 2012, 21:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Ferrari have not won a constructors trophy in 4 years. And Massa won his last race in 2008. No coincidence that. Time for some new blood at the scuderia.
I second that thought. Massa really need to give some magical numbers for Ferrari to consider him anymore. I am not very optimistic about that.
But who will fill in the spot? (especially after Mark confirmed another year with RedBull)

Last edited by punto_ : 10th July 2012 at 21:52.
Old 10th July 2012, 21:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Here's why Massa is still with Ferrari.
CERN makes another breakthrough « Sniff Petrol
Old 11th July 2012, 11:07   #38
BHPian

Webber confirmed for Red Bull in 2013James Allen on F1

This link gives us some very interesting insights from a very reliable source. If you read the comments below the article, James Allen has mentioned a lot of stuff

1. Vettel has apparently signed a contract with Ferrari for 2014 already, however his joining depends on a 'performance clause' which means that for Ferrari to get hold of Vettel, they have to be satisfy some performance requirements in 2013, that are in the contract.

2. Schumacher has already signed a one year extension with Mercedes

3. Massa's place is still very much up in the air, there are many contenders for the seat including Kovalainen, Di Resta and Perez ! However, it would again only be for a one year contract

4. Hamilton is going nowhere and will sign a one year extension to his Mclaren contract, waiting for 2014 when seats will possibly be vacant at Red Bull (Webber / Vettel ), Mercedes (Schumacher) and Ferrari (Massa or whoever his replacement is)

Fascinating stuff ! However I think 2013 will largely remain the same for the top teams.
Old 29th July 2012, 13:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Would you believe it or not, Raikkonen is being considered to replace Massa for 2013

Ferrari have let their option on Massa's contract to lapse, which means if he doesn't improve his form dramatically, he is most likely on his way out.

Raikkonen on Ferrari's radar for 2013, despite also nearing extension to Lotus deal - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

According to this even Button is on their list.
Button and Raikkonen in the loop for Ferrari in 2013
Old 29th July 2012, 17:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Well, this is news. A big name second driver at Ferrari is not very common. But if it were to happen, I reckon Button would be the best fit at Ferrari. Alonso has made the team his own and that would be further cemented if he were to win the championship this year, his first with Ferrari.

The likelihood of Raikkonen returning to Ferrari is very slim. He is best suited to a team that lets him drive and nothing much else. He has next next to no promotional and sponsor assignments at Lotus. That and his fat pay cheque point to him not coming back to the Scuderia.

Webber and Hamilton have signed fresh contracts with their respective teams and we can safely rule out Schumacher going back to Ferrari as well.

That leaves Button as a likely big name driver. At least on the surface he has had good working relationships with his co-drivers over the years, Barrichello and Hamilton to name a couple. He has the experience, the race craft and the media savvy to be a Ferrari driver.

The other options are Perez, Grosjean, Hulkenberg and maybe even Adrian Sutil. Di Resta has close ties with Mercedes, so that might rule him out too.
Old 30th July 2012, 10:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Kimi to Ferrari? Only in dreams IMO.

Button is also contracted for 2013 unless of course he wants to leave (very unlikely) and Ferrari are willing to pay the extra dough for that. Unlikely.

Only real option for Ferrari is to look at young blood. Grojean was on a 1 year contract, I think - though Lotus will not want to lose him and his sponsors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Webber and Hamilton have signed fresh contracts with their respective teams
When did Hamilton confirm his contract?
Old 30th July 2012, 11:09   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
When did Hamilton confirm his contract?
Thats right. From what I read around, his contract discussions are expected to happen this week.
Old 31st July 2012, 14:22   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thats right. From what I read around, his contract discussions are expected to happen this week.
Hearing the soundbytes so far, Ron Dennis is at his usual self, bargaining hard.

He knows Lewis wont come cheap.

Bruno Senna might have trouble later this year. Totto Wolff has a stake in his trainee's career (Bottas).

Felipe, I think will quit F1 for good.
Old 5th August 2012, 19:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

I think Ferrari's problem is that there isn't anyone available who, they can safely assume, is going to be better than Massa. Webber was their best bet, but he isn't available anymore.

The argument for Perez or Hulkenberg or Di Riesta is that they can't possibly be any worse than Massa. While that may be true, I guess that's not good enough for Ferrari. In the current setup where there is very limited testing time available, why should they replace a driver that is well-integrated with the team with another who may take the best part of half a season to be comfortable with the car/team, while ultimately being only as fast as the guy he replaced?
Old 5th August 2012, 22:17   #45
BHPian

Perez at Ferrari in 13 seems unlikely. With the team hoping for a Vettel and Alonso partnership, they won't want to waste an upcoming driver from their own stable like this.
If they do let Massa go, given they can find a rich sponsor to overcome their Brazilian deficiency, they might get another flyer like they did with Fishicella, that could be good news for DLR. The current line up seems too tight to disturb atleast for 13, but retaining Massa is like giving up and hoping the tooth fairy would guide them. Don't see that happening.
Also, kind of a long shot, but Adrian Sutil was highly rated on the circuit and his suspension gets over this year-end. Wouldn't that be good for him!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks