Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2014, 15:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
One should also consider trying to maintain a stable team when the chips are low. Retaining Alonso would have made things easier. Vettel starts in Jan 2015 and has to start from step 1.

Also no doubt we are soon to be Vettel fans.! Its just sad to see Alonso go because he gives the hope of grabbing those points and creating an overtake out of nowhere. Looking at Sebs and Kimi's current season, there is very little hope for things getting better.
Alonso would retire soon anyway but Vettel is here to stay. With the engine change regulations going to be more restrictive over the next couple of years, they are better off getting their long term driver in place earlier when they have luxury of more changes to make a car that suits Vettel. If they wait till Alonso retires and then hires Vettel, it might be too late to make any worthwhile changes and Ferrari might end up with a car that doesn't suit anyone else other than Alonso.
Old 23rd November 2014, 15:59   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Well, my Ferrari supporting days are over. Its been a long time since I have supported them and loved them to bits even when they were not winning and part of the reason was good drivers to look up to. Alonso was a good driver and his performances and his motivation kept my support for Ferrari going. I will miss him and most probably will be supporting Mclaren if he moves there. This is the first time my loyality will shift from Ferrari because of a driver otherwise my loyalties always shifted drivers because of Ferrari.

And there is only one reason for that, my dislike towards Vettel. For me the first sign of greatness is humilty and Vettel is everything but humble.

I dont think I will be able to overcome my dislike for him to support Ferrari. I still like Kimi and would hope for the best for him.

But its an emitional good bye to Ferrari, F1 from me, atleast till the Vettel is with them.

I will always lust for their Road Cars though.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit .. My sentiments EXACTLY ! You have taken the words right outta my mouth. It's great to know I'm not the only one who dislikes Vettel's haughtiness ! Especially the way he behaved with his teammate Webber. I hope Kimi out drives him somehow.
revvhed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 18:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There isnt a comparison between Massa and Vettel. The former spent atleast 3 years with Ferrari in their factory. He was already part of the family when he joined Schumacher in 2006 unlike Vettel. Massa was part of the Ferrari family when he was driving for sauber doing numerous tests for them in 2004 and a full testing year with scuderia in 2003. Primarily, Massa wasnt even brought in to lead the team.
Massa being part of Ferrari family didn't amount to anything, did it? What has Massa achieved with Ferrari? It was a waste of a top seat with him driving for Ferrari last few years. He was in the team only because it suited Alonso's interest well as he played his role of lap dog to perfection.

Quote:
One should also consider trying to maintain a stable team when the chips are low. Retaining Alonso would have made things easier. Vettel starts in Jan 2015 and has to start from step 1.
Retaining Alonso was hardly the best option. It is quite clear now that Alonso had harbored thoughts of getting out for Ferrari since last year as he was fed up with lack of success at Ferrari. That basically means his motivation level was no longer the same as you would want from someone expected to lead the team. It's no coincidence that Luca di Montezemolo re-hired Kimi around the same time (Sep 2013), as Ferrari couldn't afford to be left without a top driver when Alonso left.

This reaction from Alonso towards Mattiacci is a clear indication that all was not well between Alonso and the team.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116899
Old 23rd November 2014, 19:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Massa being part of Ferrari family didn't amount to anything, did it? What has Massa achieved with Ferrari? It was a waste of a top seat with him driving for Ferrari last few years. He was in the team only because it suited Alonso's interest well as he played his role of lap dog to perfection.
Massa had done extremely well until his accident in 2009. Even in 2009 until the qualifying session in Hungary he had really stuck it up close to Kimi Raikkonen who was the world champ in the team. He just never came back to his own after the head injury. Looks like he is finding pace again with Williams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren
Alonso would retire soon anyway but Vettel is here to stay.
They were talking about a contract extension till 2019 zenren. Alonso was there to stay for a while. Ofcourse that may be a different scenario now.
Old 24th November 2014, 02:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Alonso would retire soon anyway but Vettel is here to stay.
Ferrari are not in a position to choose are they? If they were thinking on that angle, they'd replace Kimi who is couple of years elder to Alonso (and if am not mistaken is the eldest in the grid).

Quote:
Next season for some Ferrari fans 😄
I wonder how it'll feel if Hamilton at some point in future joins Ferrari
Old 24th November 2014, 08:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If they were thinking on that angle, they'd replace Kimi who is couple of years elder to Alonso (and if am not mistaken is the eldest in the grid).
Opening up a seat by getting rid of Kimi is one thing but getting Vettel into that seat is a totally different thing. There is no way Vettel is going to accept an offer where all the best guys in the garage belongs to Alonso and he gets whoever Kimi was left with. Vettel would have wanted the best engineers available in Ferrari, who were with Michael and then assigned to Kimi and then Alonso.

In the current scenario, it would be interesting to see how Vettel's team would shape up. If rumours are to be believed, Alonso is not going alone. He is taking an entire entourage with him making Vettel's side of the garage crippled for next year, unless Vettel can bring some from Red Bull.
Old 24th November 2014, 12:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Firstly I think Ferrari need to sort out who will head the team. Latest rumours are linking Maurizio Arrivabene (marlboro boss) to replace Mattiaci with Ross Brawn returning as Technical boss and Aldo Costa returning as chief designer. Valterri Bottas is linked to a race seat in 2016 when Kimi's contract runs out.

Source: Motorsport.com
Old 24th November 2014, 13:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Well, so long Alonso. My support for you started with Ferrari and ends with your association with Ferrari.

I guess now I have to start supporting Vettel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Rachit .. My sentiments EXACTLY ! You have taken the words right outta my mouth. It's great to know I'm not the only one who dislikes Vettel's haughtiness ! Especially the way he behaved with his teammate Webber. I hope Kimi out drives him somehow.
If Kimi outdrives Vettel - great! no problem!

But to dislike Vettel because of how he treated Webber & at the same time being an Alonso fan? Have you forgotten Singapore 2008 (race fixing)? Or USA 2012 (Massa's gear box seal broken to benefit Alonso)?
Old 24th November 2014, 13:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Valterri Bottas is linked to a race seat in 2016 when Kimi's contract runs out.
Given the state of Ferrari currently, I seriously hope they don't lure Bottas so early into the team before they are ready to fight for championships. He is currently in a very good team and would enjoy #1 driver status next year. Till he wins a championship, I hope he wouldn't join Ferrari and destroy his future.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post

But to dislike Vettel because of how he treated Webber & at the same time being an Alonso fan? Have you forgotten Singapore 2008 (race fixing)? Or USA 2012 (Massa's gear box seal broken to benefit Alonso)?
Err .. Where have I said that I'm an Alonso fan ???
Old 24th November 2014, 16:01   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sure? Kimi Raikkonen has more than proven Felipe's real abilities this year. Felipe was always there & thereabouts with the beard man over the 4 years. Kimi is nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Opening up a seat by getting rid of Kimi is one thing but getting Vettel into that seat is a totally different thing. There is no way Vettel is going to accept an offer where all the best guys in the garage belongs to Alonso and he gets whoever Kimi was left with.
Are we assuming that Kimi had no say at all? I don't think so. He is an equally demanding person when it comes to getting things right. I'm pretty sure Kimi got the same/equal resources as Alonso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just wondering why Vettel would leave Red Bull which was a dominating force till only a year back? I can't think of any other reason than Newey pursuing other interests.

It's going to be tough for Vettel, but beating Kimi is probably easier than Daniel . Plus, everyone lambasted Hamilton for leaving McLaren. Just look where it took him. ...
It was THE right time for Sebastian. Daniel -The smileman- Ricciardo has totally outraced the fingerboy this year. Still, he was a 4 time champion just an year ago. So? A hot, salable commodity. What if the same happened next year? If he was outraced again by Ricciardo (And all logic says the same would have happened) next year, who would pay Vettel what Ferrari will be paying him now? The time was right for him. Alonso couldn't leave at a better time for Vettel.

Quote:
Well, so long Alonso. My support for you started with Ferrari and ends with your association with Ferrari.

I guess now I have to start supporting Vettel.
Same here!!

Quote:
You forgot the coup-de-gras! Hockenheimring 2010!! Okay... so... Fernando is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?

Last edited by aah78 : 24th November 2014 at 19:58. Reason: Posts merged on request.
Old 24th November 2014, 18:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Latest rumours are linking Maurizio Arrivabene (marlboro boss) to replace Mattiaci
This has become official now: http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/fer...tione-sportiva

Am skeptical on Ross Brawn return, lets see
Old 24th November 2014, 19:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't update my previous post. But here's a counter news to the topic in discussion

Alonso not ruling out Ferrari return
Old 24th November 2014, 20:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Are we assuming that Kimi had no say at all? I don't think so. He is an equally demanding person when it comes to getting things right. I'm pretty sure Kimi got the same/equal resources as Alonso.
Kimi's priority last year was getting out of Lotus and getting paid on time more than getting into Ferrari. His decision to move to Ferrari is still justified considering where Lotus is currently. He managed to finish ahead of both Lotus drivers and actually got paid this season for the position! He was willing to compromise on his demands since he was not in a very good position to bargain due to the financial woes of Lotus.

Kimi needs some incentive to perform. When he returned to F1, Lotus put it in his contract that he would get a variable pay based on the points he earned and he made them almost bankrupt by finishing in points and podium consistently for 2 seasons. Ferrari probably didn't put that clause in their contract

Last edited by zenren : 24th November 2014 at 20:31.
Old 25th November 2014, 00:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This has become official now: http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/fer...tione-sportiva

Am skeptical on Ross Brawn return, lets see
Utter chaos at Ferrari I would say. Mattiaci has left Ferrari after 15 years of service. All this is happening at such a crucial time when the team is trying to get back to the front. All this fresh change is going to slow them down a year or two.Atleast...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks