Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2020, 21:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1: The 2020 Austrian Grand Prix (July 3 - 5, 2020)

That was absolutely Crazy! I was almost getting bored in the first 20 laps and the last 10 more than made up for it! I think the results of the race were unexpected. Most people forecasted Verstappen or Hamilton winning. But Bottas did what he is supposed to do when you start from pole, just kept the lead through the race. To his credit, he didn't put a wheel wrong, even when under pressure from Hamilton.

On the other hand, it must have been a terrible shock for RBR, they thought they had this race in their hand since Verstappen was starting on the mediums, but they were unlucky with both drivers. I just felt Albon could have taken his time to attack Hamilton, he had around 3 laps to get past him.

Was so crushed to see Ferrari literally defending their position from all midfield teams, racing point, Renault, McLaren were all so close to them. And the thing is, all Ferrari powered cars looked really slow. They just didn't seem to have the pace.

Lastly, although I was a huge fan of Seb all these years when he drove for Ferrari, I must say his mistake was very amateurish. Very similar to the ones he made last year. Just see what Leclerc did, he took his risks, but got the moves done in a clean manner. And I feel Leclerc was indirectly rewarded for being balanced in risk taking and also biding his time in certain stages of the race.

Overall, a great race, but also a indicator that Mercedes will thoroughly dominate this season yet again, and occasionally we just might get some crazy races like this!

Last edited by ampere : 6th July 2020 at 13:58. Reason: typo fixed
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 21:03   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
So Hamilton is someone who doesn’t take penalties lightly and if he felt it was undue - he would have made his displeasure shown, with out a doubt. However, in his interview just now; he mentioned that he feels it should have been race incident but i will take whatever penalty they think I deserve and move on.

In that case why was Vettel not penalised ? Just because he lost places instead of the one he banged into? Does not justify.

Not racism but the stewards were too quick to give a penalty. It could have easily been investigated after the race with all evidence and driver justification. Usually when an incident happens in final stages of a race it is investigated post race.

Last edited by ampere : 6th July 2020 at 13:58. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 5th July 2020, 21:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

McLaren podium!!!!!! Lannnddddoooooooo
Hatari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 21:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
In that case why was Vettel not penalised ? Just because he lost places instead of the one he banged into? Does not justify.

Not racism but the stewards were too quick to give a penalty. It could have easily been investigated after the race with all evidence and driver justification. Usually when an incident happens in final stages of a race it is investigated post race.

I dont think anyone felt that the penalty was too harsh. And in the past, stewards have been criticised for being too late in their decisions, at times even robbing someone of a potential podium. Remember the first podium that Sainz got last year? He had to literally pose alone on the podium later since stewards delayed the decision.

And in this case I felt Hamilton could have left Albon a bit more room, he knew the RBR was ahead in the corner, but he still kept his line. Well, thats racing some may say, but then in this case what wrong did Albon do? He had every right to put his car in that place and get ahead. Also, I think a lot of times penalties are also based on when the other car came off worse, it may not be so on paper, but does play a role.
Old 5th July 2020, 21:14   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I dont think anyone felt that the penalty was too harsh. And in the past, stewards have been criticised for being too late in their decisions, at times even robbing someone of a potential podium. Remember the first podium that Sainz got last year? He had to literally pose alone on the podium later since stewards delayed the decision.

And in this case I felt Hamilton could have left Albon a bit more room, he knew the RBR was ahead in the corner, but he still kept his line. Well, thats racing some may say, but then in this case what wrong did Albon do? He had every right to put his car in that place and get ahead. Also, I think a lot of times penalties are also based on when the other car came off worse, it may not be so on paper, but does play a role.

My question still stands why was Vettel not penalised ?

If we are going to take racing and competition out of F1 might as well see trains racing on single track. There are lot of Hamilton haters, I was a fan of him but not anymore. I am more for Vestrappen.

Last edited by tazmaan : 5th July 2020 at 21:18.
Old 5th July 2020, 21:23   #36
BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2020 Austrian Grand Prix (July 3 - 5, 2020)

Quote:
Two wrongs don’t make it right. Also, Vettle was not penalized not because he lost position. That was a clear racing incident where he saw an opening and dived inside.

Also, if you see Hamilton’s car - he kept going straight out of corner and didn’t turn his car at all choosing to run wide deliberately. Also, you didn’t reply to my point of Hamilton not contenting or at-least showing displeasure if he himself felt that he wasn’t at fault.

Quote:
You mentioned #weraceone and questioned that directly hinting to racism only. Also, circumstances are different and merely questioning timing of investigation is unjust.

Also, if I think - timing was in favor of Hamilton. They have penalty when there were two laps to go. It gave opportunity to Mercedes/Hamilton to push and come out clear of -5 seconds from 4th place Norris. Mercedes didn’t do it.
Nitrous Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 21:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

That was one roller coaster race! At one point, it was dull with a commanding lead for the Mercedes pack and there was no action on the track. And then it was all over the place!

That Ferrari had no right to finish second today! The team can thank the stars and the feisty Charles for that P2. What a weekend for the young chap!

Binotto said a few days back that the team has gone majorly wrong with the design aspect of the car this year and a big rework is on. That's the reason why the next upgrade has to wait till Hungary. Even with that BIG upgrade, I honestly do not think much can be done this year. The car was really off pace on Saturday. I was expecting the Ferrari to struggle but hadn't expected the gap to the top to be this much. The engine even sounds awful on TV, it's definitely not singing that well at full pelt like the Mercedes.

And it was all Charles' grit which got the car there today! While Vettel did it again! Out of Q3 as well. It looks like every few races, he has to do a full spin and face the circuit the wrong way while making a move. He surely isn't learning from his mistakes and is very consistent at that! And I wonder what pressure he is under this year when the car is so much off the pace!

Bottas didn't put a foot wrong apart from the excursion after claiming pole yesterday. And I am glad the car was alright in the race today after that. On Albon - Lewis incident, I felt the former could have been a bit more patient. Then again, Lewis left the door open and Albon was on soft tyres. So, the timing was right! I also think Lewis could have left a bit more room once the Red Bull was ahead. He didn't open the steering for sure, but the line could have been a little tighter. Anyways, I need to watch it again to make a call! Glad for Norris by the way. That fastest lap was great to steal the podium. Good to see the next generation making it count on the track.

And the good thing is everyone gets to do this again in a week's time. Let's see how each team learns.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 21:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Two wrongs don’t make it right. Also, Vettle was not penalized not because he lost position. That was a clear racing incident where he saw an opening and dived inside.
I am going to agree to disagree with you.

It is just the first race may be Merc will appeal or may they wont let us enjoy the season it is good to watch something live again. Fact that it was exciting makes it better.

Last edited by ampere : 6th July 2020 at 13:58. Reason: Compacted quoted post
Old 5th July 2020, 21:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to agree to disagree with you.

It is just the first race may be Merc will appeal or may they wont let us enjoy the season it is good to watch something live again. Fact that it was exciting makes it better.
I believe there are two reasons why Hamilton was given the penalty
1. Albon was clearly in front when Hamilton tangled with him
2. He was supposed to leave a car's width for Albon.

Maybe he understeered, maybe he did not try to steer away but either way his actions impacted the race of a competitor negatively.

Coming to Vettel's case, he did not damage to anybody's race but himself. The stewards I am sure are not going to penalise anyone for diving down the inside but for the impact that move makes on the people around you. It is upto the driver to pull off whatever moves that they make without infringing on rules.

If Hamilton has contacted Albon but Albon was still able to pull off the move, I don't think we would have been seeing any penalties at all.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 5th July 2020, 21:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
If Hamilton has contacted Albon but Albon was still able to pull off the move, I don't think we would have been seeing any penalties at all.

Drive on,

Shibu.

This is my only disagreement. It is like saying I will speed at 120 in 40 zone and as long as I only injure myself I should not be penalised.

Last edited by tazmaan : 5th July 2020 at 21:55.
Old 5th July 2020, 22:02   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is my only disagreement. It is like saying I will speed at 120 in 40 zone and as long as I only injure myself I should not be penalised.
You are confusing racing rules with rules that are meant to make racing go on. The rule that governs Hamilton’s incident with Albon, is the latter. Those rules can be worked around depending on racing circumstances, which is why investigations are necessary. In a 120/40 zone rule,no investigation is necessary. Like the Perez overspeeding in the pit straight on exit. Penalty on, no investigation.

Last edited by Red Liner : 5th July 2020 at 22:03.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 22:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the point of racing is to encourage drivers to speed isn't it? And to pull off the moves taking the risk. The rules are there to ensure that the race is fair. What Hamilton did was not fair to the opposition and for that he was penalised.

And the context of Vettel's move and Hamilton's move is different. Vettel was the one making the move and Hamilton was the one on whom the move was being made on. So the context of the situation plays a lot in the final verdict.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 09:27   #43
BHPian

Late post here, but that was an epic race! Bottas held his nerve and LeClerc was excellent in what is probably the 5th fastest car. Norris was amazing, even challenged a much quicker VER at the start! Fastest lap at the end to snatch 3rd off HAM. Good ol' McLaren is finally back, was happy to see Zak Brown punching his fist in the air.

Also a race of tremendous attrition, the kerbs, especially the sausage kerb simply clattered the gearbox of every car which took advantage over it. The Mercs almost had a gearbox failure, was interesting to see James Vowles give equal instructions to HAM and BOT. Kimi was again unfortunate to pit just before the SC due to MAG's brake failure and ended up behind GIO even though he had passed them and was 3 sec up the road. This guy can't get a break from bad luck. Front wheel not tethered as well, probably a penalty for next weekend by the FIA surely.

Can't help but feel for Albon who could've challenged BOT for the lead easily in the closing stages but was yet again punted off by HAM, who normally makes it very hard but gives space, probably felt he is entitled to hold the line even if the other car is ahead of him. This reminded me of the way ROS had punted HAM's rear right when he was clearly ahead at the 2016 Austrian and 2014 Belgian GPs.

Can't wait for the next weekend's race, I just know it will be anything but a repeat of this weekend's race. Red Bull should easily get a podium, may be a win.

Last edited by ds.raikkonen : 6th July 2020 at 09:41.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 09:50   #44
BHPian

That was a great start to the season, and a thoroughly enjoyable race.

Mercedes should have issued orders to let Hamilton overtake Bottas when he was clearly the faster car.

Racing Point made a blunder by staying out when Albon pitted. That might be a cause for the later incident which cost Perez a penalty.

Ferrari and Red Bull are no match for Mercedes. We have to be prepared for a season where everyone else might fighting for third place barring any penalties or mistakes. That is not good for the sport, and it is time FIA took some solid steps to reduce costs, and make cars more equal, so that driver skills play a more important role.
Old 6th July 2020, 10:00   #45
BHPian

Can someone please tell me how and where to live stream or watch F1. I am in Bengaluru.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks