Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 19:14   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2020 Austrian Grand Prix (July 3 - 5, 2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think Hamilton is in a different league all together even though personally I do not like him. But ability wise, he is just brilliant. And Bottas was sitting duck for him if not for those team orders. He was knocking off almost a second per lap at one point. That is insane by F1 standards.
Not saying that you are wrong, but F1 has long stopped being a comparison of drivers. A lifetime fan of Michael Schumacher, I always felt Mika Hakkenin was better than him during those legendary races between them, but MS came up top overall due to a lot of factors. Similar is the case here; on a one-to-one Hamilton would beat Bottas by a mile.

But it ain't being the best, but making the best of the situation. On that note, Bottas doesn't get the credit he deserves.
Old 6th July 2020, 20:04   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Not saying that you are wrong, but F1 has long stopped being a comparison of drivers. A lifetime fan of Michael Schumacher, I always felt Mika Hakkenin was better than him during those legendary races between them, but MS came up top overall due to a lot of factors. Similar is the case here; on a one-to-one Hamilton would beat Bottas by a mile.
Oh yes. I completely agree with you. F1 is actually a very dull sport if you ask me. And over the years they have just kept on making it more about the cars and associated technology rather than the driver. The only legitimate driver comparison can be solely done by comparing the drivers of the same team. Hamilton is a better driver than Bottas. Similarly Schumacher was a better driver than Barichello.

It has to be a sad day overall for the sport when safety car and penalties are what make a race interesting.
Old 6th July 2020, 20:19   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
And even with such a shitty car, I can't believe that Binotto has the face to tell Seb didn't drive his best. Binotto is probably embarrassed that now the whole world knows that Ferrari lied about Seb's contract negotiation and is taking it out at Seb at every opportunity he gets.
Sadly this is how Ferrari operates. They have a history of throwing their drivers under the bus, once they have decided to get rid of someone. Kimi (2009), Fernando (2014) and now Seb.
Old 6th July 2020, 20:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And even with such a shitty car, I can't believe that Binotto has the face to tell Seb didn't drive his best. Binotto is probably embarrassed that now the whole world knows that Ferrari lied about Seb's contract negotiation and is taking it out at Seb at every opportunity he gets.
To be fair, Leclerc managed to keep the same car pointing the right way and finished second.

I think both Ferrari and Vettel are doing poorly. The car is uncompetitive and the driver keeps dropping the ball. It isn't a grand prix highlights reel anymore without a clip of Vettel facing the wrong way. Add in the way Ferrari handled the contract ending and it's just an all round disaster on that side of the garage.
Old 6th July 2020, 20:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
To be fair, Leclerc managed to keep the same car pointing the right way and finished second.
Actually, the cars are never the same. That's why they have number 1 and number 2 drivers. It is pretty clear that Ferrari favours Leclerc over Vettel and that's totally fine but to blame Vettel for the car's fault is unprofessional.

https://twitter.com/deadlinex/status...25624719392768

Look at the way Vettel's car is so off balance for one lap in the above video. He had to correct it 3 times in 3 corners. If you compare it with Leclerc's onboard, it is pretty stable. And more over Vettel said that the car was pretty good on Friday practice. He felt that in the race the car was slower by 1.5 seconds.

Last edited by prasathlr : 6th July 2020 at 20:56.
Old 6th July 2020, 21:41   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Look at the way Vettel's car is so off balance for one lap in the above video. He had to correct it 3 times in 3 corners. If you compare it with Leclerc's onboard, it is pretty stable. And more over Vettel said that the car was pretty good on Friday practice. He felt that in the race the car was slower by 1.5 seconds.
Its a ruthless sport for the drivers. You are only as good as last 2/3 races. It dosen't look like Merc will ditch Bottas for Seb. So he might retire at the end of this season.

Last edited by motor_breathing : 6th July 2020 at 21:41. Reason: typo
Old 7th July 2020, 00:33   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
So he might retire at the end of this season.
Yes, and that's the best case scenario for him sans Mercedes drive. I hope he has some good races this year and retires on a high and doesn't hang around in a mid-runner team to fight for scraps.
Old 7th July 2020, 05:39   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, the cars are never the same.....Look at the way Vettel's car is so off balance for one lap in the above video. He had to correct it 3 times in 3 corners. If you compare it with Leclerc's onboard, it is pretty stable.
Okay. I will bite since this is making it look like Charles had a much better Ferrari under him compared to Vettel. That is simply not true.

To know more, we have to understand how each driver works with the car. There are some drivers who can adapt to a car. And some who needs the car setup in a certain way. Vettel is a bit one dimensional in that aspect and falls in the latter category. He needs the rear end to be fully planted and stable. That's how he won those 4 titles back to back. That Red Bull with its blown diffuser had its rear wheels on rails and Vettel could come on throttle early in a corner and the car wouldn't budge. But sadly, he never evolved from there! That is why he is struggling and consistently making those spins nowadays.

Charles on the other hand is a quick learner. He was struggling with the Ferrari on Friday free practice. And became progressively better as the weekend advanced.

In F1, there is a saying you are only as good as the car! But that is not to say great drivers cannot make a difference. They surely can and will put a car where it doesn't belong at times. It is not wonder Charles said that it was one of his best races ever!

Quote:
....And Bottas was sitting duck for him if not for those team orders. He was knocking off almost a second per lap at one point. That is insane by F1 standards.
I think this is simply wrong! Bottas was no sitting duck on Sunday. And he didn't put a wheel wrong. Sure, Lewis with DRS could get close to him. But Bottas always had a measure of him during the race and could open that gap back up at will without DRS. He also had to deal with 3 restarts and nailed it every single time.

That is not to say Lewis isn't in a different league all together as a driver. But there is something about Bottas at Austria. That's why next weekend will be so interesting. Let's see how much Lewis can learn in a week's time to close that gap.

And this is true for other drivers and teams too. They have never been given such a second chance in a season ever since I started watching F1. No matter how the final results come across, the margins are very very thin at the top. A small decision could have a significant role in changing the course.

And next week will be like going to the race with a crystal ball - weather permitting. The only problem is that everyone will have access to that ball. And I think Red Bull is stronger in race trim at Austria and the race is for their taking if that Honda PU doesn't give up its ghost again!

Quote:
F1 is actually a very dull sport if you ask me. And over the years they have just kept on making it more about the cars and associated technology rather than the driver.
Yes, it is at times boring when you look at the driver alone. This will always be the case with F1. To appreciate the sport, one has to follow both the drivers and the cars. And by the car, I mean the technical aspects and reasons for for its pace and lack of. My main bugbear is the fact that they don't let the cars take full advantage of that speed during the race nowadays. The cars in front have to decimate the field and put daylight to the next best. Like the good old days! Every lap from everyone has to be like a qualifying lap. But short sighted rules of no refueling, fuel flow etc. have ruined it a bit.

Anyways, it is what it is and one needs to evolve with the sport! Every sport changes with time.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:11   #69
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Sure, Lewis with DRS could get close to him. But Bottas always had a measure of him during the race and could open that gap back up at will without DRS. He also had to deal with 3 restarts and nailed it every single time.
The actual threat to Bottas was when Albon with soft rubber almost crossed Hamilton. The rest is history.
Old 7th July 2020, 09:27   #70
BHPian

What the heck was "Urgent Chassis Default 2-1" setting instructed to BOT in the closing stages? Was it another "Multi 21"? The word "2-1" strongly suggests that. Though Mercedes denied that

My guess is probably the softest rebound setting to manage aching tyres (and possibly suspension as well?) which led to them lapping much slowly. Which is strange as the circuit stress level on tyres is classified as 2/5 as it is mostly a front limited layout. Though the lateral loads reach very high levels due to down hill fast corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1: The 2020 Austrian Grand Prix (July 3 - 5, 2020)-red-bull-ringpreviewat2020en.jpg  

Old 7th July 2020, 10:50   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

I think this is simply wrong! Bottas was no sitting duck on Sunday. And he didn't put a wheel wrong. Sure, Lewis with DRS could get close to him. But Bottas always had a measure of him during the race and could open that gap back up at will without DRS. He also had to deal with 3 restarts and nailed it every single time.
The restarts happened much later. Also the time of the race I am referring to when Hamilton knocked off a second per lap from 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 seconds, was before the DRS zone. Hence it is wrong to say he used DRS to come so close. The team indeed kept issuing orders during those 5-6 laps and eventually made Hamilton slow down and settle for 2nd position for the time being.

After a safety car start, the guy at P1 always has an advantage and it isn't similar to starting from the grid.
Old 7th July 2020, 14:32   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat095 View Post

You gotta feel bad for Albon though, he had a good strategy of switching to softer tyres while Hamilton and Valtteri had hard profile tyres, he could’ve finished 2nd if he hadn’t been so impatient. But indeed a great race!
It was a really good step to change to soft tyres and Albon stood a strong chance at winning. But Brazil last year yet again!

Also kudos to Bottas for keeping the position all through. Its not easy when there are multiple yellow flags and restarts. As much as Hamilton did push, Bottas kept a cool head and I was so happy to see him win

And Leclerc continues to amaze me! He kept a steady pace all race & when the opportunity fell he took it up to finish a cool 2nd, probably unimaginable for Ferrari given their pace.

Max-Albon pair looks strong to push the Mercs! Also love the Mclaren start - Sainz is a really good driver along with Norris.
Old 7th July 2020, 17:10   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer23 View Post
Also kudos to Bottas for keeping the position all through. Its not easy when there are multiple yellow flags and restarts. As much as Hamilton did push, Bottas kept a cool head and I was so happy to see him win

And Leclerc continues to amaze me! He kept a steady pace all race & when the opportunity fell he took it up to finish a cool 2nd, probably unimaginable for Ferrari given their pace.

Max-Albon pair looks strong to push the Mercs! Also love the Mclaren start - Sainz is a really good driver along with Norris.

It's good that they have 2 races in Austria, this time hopefully we'll see the Red Bulls give Mercedes a better competition. Looking forward to the race this weekend!
Old 8th July 2020, 01:47   #74
BHPian

Quote:
After a safety car start, the guy at P1 always has an advantage and it isn't similar to starting from the grid.
Its not actually true. In the starting grid, P1 does have an advantage as all other things (mostly) stand equal. Not so much during restarts when others behind could and usually have fresher tires.

The appreciation for Bottas is because whatever advantage he had built over P2 and rest was nullified and he had to build it up all over again, 3 times. No driver in P1 likes a safety car, its advantage others behind him who get to catch up free of cost and anyone with fresher tires can seriously threaten for lead.
Old 8th July 2020, 07:07   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
Was it another "Multi 21"? The word "2-1" strongly suggests that....Which is strange as the circuit stress level on tyres is classified as 2/5 as it is mostly a front limited layout.
Don't think Mercedes pulled rank last weekend. Team orders aren't banned anyways. So, they could have let Lewis through if they wanted it without making it that convoluted. And it wasn't the tyres, they really hit trouble with the gearbox - due to the pounding the car took from those kerbs! Let's see how they are going to manage that this weekend.

Quote:
Also the time of the race I am referring to when Hamilton knocked off a second per lap from 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 seconds, was before the DRS zone. Hence it is wrong to say he used DRS to come so close.
I am not able to understand what you are trying to state here. Are you saying the time gained on the DRS zone doesn't have an impact on the overall lap time and the gap? Austria got three DRS zones by the way!

Also, there is something called managing the gap. The leading driver doesn't have set a lap on fire. He just needs to manage the gap and respond to the drivers behind. And I felt Bottas did that beautifully.

Quote:
That is a misconception! Ask any driver leading a race, no one wants a restart. Especially when the guy behind is Lewis on that Merc. It is far easier to maintain status quo and manage the gap than being a high pressure situation like a restart where one is prone to mistakes as well. But Bottas nailed it in Austria - all three times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverift View Post
The appreciation for Bottas is because whatever advantage he had built over P2 and rest was nullified and he had to build it up all over again, 3 times.
+1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks