Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:09   #361
BHPian

Google Maps
Albert park View from Google earth, With all the discussion of points the plan of the first race and comments from Safety driver of F1, It has some nice details in terms of Speed, gears and Amount of G's On the driver at different parts of the circuit
Attached Thumbnails
F1-2009...All your Discussions here....!-albertparkmelbournecircuit2009.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2009, 15:23   #362
BHPian

Can you please update the TV timings for the Race and qualifiers. Thanks
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:32   #363
Senior - BHPian

The most up to date timings can be found out from the website of the TV channel which is broadcasting the race.
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:39   #364
Senior - BHPian

"Countercheck at Melbourne"

Raikkonen: "Countercheck at Melbourne"

I enjoyed this winter break more than usual. I spent most of the time with my family and friends in Switzerland and Finland, but I mainly trained very hard and in a different way to be ready for a very demanding season. Amongst other things I've taken part in two rallies in Finland with Fiat's Grande Punto S200: I really had a lot of fun, but it also was a good training for the upcoming races. And now it's time to get serious.

It's difficult making predictions, considering the many rule changes this year. Ferrari was very competitive during the tests; but we'll do the F60's countercheck at Melbourne, when we'll all meet in the race with the same fuel at the same time. Only then we'll see how strong we are and maybe we've got to wait for a couple of races to have a clearer situation. Albert Park is a very particular circuit, just like the city itself is very special: maybe we've got to wait until Malaysia to see which teams will be ahead.

As usual I can't wait to start a new season. Putting on the helmet and racing is something worth living for. The number of tests has been limited, but I had fun anyway to work on a completely new car. It seems that a really long time has passed since the last race in Brazil, also considering all the changes of the car: it will be really interesting to see how its development will evolve. When things go well you're having more fun, but we still haven't raced this year, so it's really a bit too early to say anything. We hope that everything will be the way we expect it to be. There's a lot less of aerodynamic downforce than last year, so we'll be slower in the fast corners, but the car will have much more grip in the slow ones, due to the slicks. Therefore the lap times haven't changed a lot. I can confirm that I like the F60 more than last year's car. It's much more fun to drive and it reminds me more of the cars I was used to some year ago. The KERS is something very interesting and easy to use: I hope that it will make overtaking easier. From the first test the whole Team was positively surprised by how well the KERS works. Everybody is expecting more overtaking now, but I think it's still a bit too early to say what will happen and if the lower downforce will help when you're in a slipstream. It's always a good thing for a driver and a team to have a good start into the season, especially when we remember how the last two seasons ended as far as the Drivers' Championship is concerned: I won with one point in 2007 and my teammate was one point short in 2008. That means that every point counts. Two years ago I won in Australia, while we had several problems last year. Our goal is to immediately gain some good points.

Source: Atlas F1
Old 24th March 2009, 08:26   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
For Australian race :::
Saturday 1030 am is Practice
Sunday 1130 am is Race
Old 24th March 2009, 11:05   #366
Senior - BHPian

Update:

The new points system where the championship would be handed to the driver who wins the most races wont come into place this season. The new system will start come the 2010 season.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:13   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Update:

The new points system where the championship would be handed to the driver who wins the most races wont come into place this season. The new system will start come the 2010 season.
Thats some breaking news, not sure what FIA is upto

By the way can the KERS be used during the qualifying, does anybody has any clue or clarity on the same.

Last edited by Bubby : 24th March 2009 at 11:14.
Old 25th March 2009, 08:54   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Again goofed up by Madmax and bernie.
Only few more days to race day and we are not sure what the scoring system would be like
Old 25th March 2009, 13:47   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Thats some breaking news, not sure what FIA is upto

By the way can the KERS be used during the qualifying, does anybody has any clue or clarity on the same.
KERS stands for Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems - so i would think as long as you can recover enough energy from your first two qualifying rounds, there's nothing stopping a driver from using it. I guess the question is how many laps/miles, does it take to get a charge and is the qualifying round enough. Maybe someone could clarify?
Old 25th March 2009, 14:09   #370
BHPian

Hi Samir, in article 5.2 of the F1 tech regulations...

5.2.2 With the exception of one fully charged KERS, the total amount of recoverable energy stored on the car must not exceed 300kJ. Any which may be recovered at a rate greater than 2kW must not exceed 20kJ.

5.2.3 The maximum power, in or out, of any KERS must not exceed 60kW. Energy released from the KERS may not exceed 400kJ in any one lap. Measurements will be taken at the connection to the rear wheel drivetrain.

In a lap, each car is limited to a max expenditure of 400kJ at a max rate of 60kW. Article 5.2.2 provides for a further 300kJ, so I guess each car can have a total of 700kJ stored. This is not that high a figure & if all the energy required to brake a car is dumped into the KERS, all it would take is a couple of corners' worth of not-very-hard braking !

Last edited by im_srini : 25th March 2009 at 14:23.
Old 25th March 2009, 14:17   #371
Senior - BHPian

The explanation of KERS on the F1 site goes that way. In layman terms, I think it can be compared to the Nitrous Boost that gets recharged in NFS Underground series once you have used it.

Awaiting Sunday's race now to check out how it works!

Quote:
Hi Samir, in article 5.2 of the F1 tech regulations...
Thanks im_srini for the quote from the regulations.
Old 25th March 2009, 14:32   #372
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Awaiting Sunday's race now to check out how it works!
Not all teams will be using the KERS at the opening grand prix, with a few of them suggesting that it will not be used in the opening two races this season.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 25th March 2009, 15:52   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Not all teams will be using the KERS at the opening grand prix, with a few of them suggesting that it will not be used in the opening two races this season.

Cheers,
gpa
According to latest news

Except 4 Teams everyone else will use it
Old 25th March 2009, 16:00   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
For that go to f1.com,on the right side there's an option,convert to my local time ,click it and it will automatically show the race time of your place.

QUAL: 11:30 SAT
RACE: 11:30 SUN
Old 26th March 2009, 01:13   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling on DUB View Post
According to latest news

Except 4 Teams everyone else will use it
Wrong, if you go by what the teams are saying at the moment.

F1 : BMW Sauber yet to make KERS use decision - BMW - F1-Live.com

According to the article -
So far only Ferrari, Renault and McLaren have confirmed their cars will be KERS-equipped for Sunday's race.

As far as BMW is concerned -
"For Australia we will decide only on Friday, or perhaps even Saturday," Klien said.

That means a max of 4 teams will run KERS, while 6 will run without. Ferrari is fairly confident about their KERS, while BRAWN is confident about running without it and trumping the field.

So it will be Button without the Button(on the steering wheel) against Massa/Kimi with the Button - Can't wait for Sunday !!

Last edited by kuttapan : 26th March 2009 at 01:14.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed