Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 12:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Actually, this is where I disagree with what Steve Slater was saying on Star Sports (and I often disagree with the old man!)...the engine was not revving at high revs for sure. Don't forget high revs in an F1 car would be 15,000 - 18,000 rpm and the engine SCREAMS at those revs.

For sure the accelerator pedal was depressed in Massa's Ferrari, but it was certainly not at WOT like some people seem to believe.
Old 26th July 2009, 12:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

A shocking accident! Thank God, Massa is safe.

I am not sure how this could be avoided in future. But safety for sure should be validated on this perspective!
Old 26th July 2009, 12:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Actually, this is where I disagree with what Steve Slater was saying on Star Sports (and I often disagree with the old man!)...the engine was not revving at high revs for sure. Don't forget high revs in an F1 car would be 15,000 - 18,000 rpm and the engine SCREAMS at those revs.

For sure the accelerator pedal was depressed in Massa's Ferrari, but it was certainly not at WOT like some people seem to believe.
That man doesn't think twice before talking. But still, when the spring hit Massa, both his legs did depress both the pedals completely. Check the videos for replays. They show the G and Throttle/Brake gadget on the left. You can see both the pedals completely pressed.
Old 26th July 2009, 12:36   #34
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Buddy, it's a career threatening injury. Doctors have said that the road to recovery will be long and brain damage cannot be assessed until he wakes up from his medically-induced coma today.
Yes, just read about it on another site. His injuries to qoute one of the doctors, "Massa's conditon is life threatening, but stable". Hopefully, he's able to make a full recovery soon.
Old 26th July 2009, 13:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the crash itself would have had an impact, we have seen cars hitting barriers at much higher speeds before, but the difference is in all those cases drivers were fully aware of the crash about to happen. But in this case massa was unconscious when he hit the barrier. So that might have worsened the impact.

Here when the piece hit Massa's helmet he would have been doing easily 200+Kms/hour. At that speed even a small object can cause serious injuries, so imagine the impact of that spring which is of the size of a softdrink can. It's really unfortunate freak accident.

I still cannot understand how that spring ended up there? Was Barichello ahead of Massa in the track, if so by how much? Anybody has an idea about this?
Old 26th July 2009, 15:45   #36
BHPian

i missed the qualifying yesterday (was at the dentist) - when can i catch a replay, what time is the pre-race program today?
Old 26th July 2009, 16:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Some more info on the object that hit the helmet.

Source : Hospital says Massa's condition 'life-threatening' - Worldcarfans

Article :
Quote:
Felipe Massa is in a "life-threatening" condition on Saturday night after undergoing surgery on his fractured skull.

Brawn team boss Ross Brawn confirmed that the piece of Rubens Barrichello's car that fell off and struck Massa on the helmet at the Hungaroring during qualifying weighed 800 grams and is made of steel.

It resulted in the 28-year-old Brazilian driver sustaining a cut forehead, skull damage and brain concussion, and after surgery he is in intensive care in the central Budapest hospital AEK.

During a news conference, hospital medical director Peter Bazso said Massa's condition "is serious, life-threatening but stable", according to the AP wire service.

Chief surgeon Lajos Zsiros added that Massa is sedated and on a respirator, a condition that will continue overnight, and that he is expected to be woken up on Sunday.

Ferrari spokesman Luca Colajanni however denied that Massa is fighting for his life. He said the Italian team will issue an update on Massa's condition late Sunday morning.

The rear spring that struck Massa's helmet has been impounded by the FIA.

"A spring coming off and being in a collision four seconds later is an incredible circumstance and coincidence," McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh is quoted as saying by the BBC.

"You have to remember that motor racing is dangerous and that racing drivers are incredibly brave. It's all too easy to become blase about that."
Old 26th July 2009, 16:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

@SilentEngine, I think some car picked up Barrichello's debris and flicked it into the air or barrichello was not far ahead. If you look at the video, another car is seen ahead of Massa.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 26th July 2009 at 16:32.
Old 26th July 2009, 17:41   #39
gpa
Senior - BHPian

What a start for Kimi and Lewis!

The KERS loaded cars shot off the line like scalded cats, with both Kimi and Lewis making up a good number of places. This is the best start I've seen from Kimi all season!!!
Old 26th July 2009, 19:21   #40
gpa
Senior - BHPian

First win for a KERS car-Hamilton wins Hungarian GP

Lewis Hamilton's KERS enabled McLaren won the Hungarian GP. Also, the best ever finish for Ferrari this season with Kimi finishing in P2.

A good drive by both Kimi and Lewis. Mark Webber finished 3'rd for RBR and the much talked about debutant Jamie Alguesari finished in P15.
Old 26th July 2009, 19:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

Well my username says it all!

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th July 2009 at 20:35. Reason: Please avoid 1-liner posts that add little value to the topic. Thanks.
Old 26th July 2009, 19:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Good to see a Mclaren and Ferrari comeback. A composed drive by Lewis to take a win and Kimi's best performance this season, drove well to get second place. Mark Webber moves in on Jenson to make the driver's championship more close and exciting. Looks like the hype of Brawn GP is slowly dying down.

I hope Massa makes a fast recovery but it seems he will take a while and the speculation is that Mark Gene may fill in for him at the remaining races if he fails to race the remainder of the season.

Last edited by Dippy : 26th July 2009 at 19:39.
Old 26th July 2009, 19:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Well my username says it all!
They seem to be back. Took them 10 races but they are finally back. Hamilton and Mclaren have overpowered the rest of the grid today.

Brawn seem to have been on the backfoot this race.
Old 26th July 2009, 20:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Never expected Lewis and Kimi to finish where they did. Good drive from both of them. Both were no doubt helped by the KERS assisted start.

The championship is getting closer and closer at the top. Brawns are definitely going backwards. Webber vs Vettel battle should be interesting in the remaining races

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
@SilentEngine, I think some car picked up Barrichello's debris and flicked it into the air or barrichello was not far ahead. If you look at the video, another car is seen ahead of Massa.
That looks like a possibility
Old 26th July 2009, 20:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
They seem to be back. Took them 10 races but they are finally back. Hamilton and Mclaren have overpowered the rest of the grid today.

Brawn seem to have been on the backfoot this race.

+1 to that. I'm very happy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks