Senior - BHPian
Join Date: May 2008
Thanked: 279 Times
| | Re: Drivers praise Indian F1 track
Originally Posted by shortbread
Almost all the drivers have only positive opinions of the track layout. This I believe is the most important aspect, the other small niggles can be ironed out after gaining experience this year. Here are some of the drivers comments regarding the track:
- MASSA: 'The ideas are different, I really enjoyed it, The track is very nice; some uphill, some downhill, some high-speed corners,It can make the race very challenging for the drivers. In some places the actual track surface is very wide and so it will therefore be possible to take various different lines in the race, which could make overtaking easier'
- HAMILTON: 'The track is fantastic - the organisers here in India have done a great job. Itís very fast and flowing, the grip-level is fantastic, the run-off areas seem to be good, and the kerbs are probably the best of any circuit we visit: nice rumble-strips that you can drive on.'
- BUTTON: 'They've done a great job with the circuit, It's also pretty smooth, which is nice for a new circuit, and the lay-out is fun to drive. There are some pretty slow corners here, like Turn Three, which are quite tough but you've also got a lot of high-speed corners; it's a lot faster than what we thought it would be around here.'
- WEBBER: 'It's a good track with good Formula 1 corners,there are quick left-rights, Turn Three is a unique corner, it's very slow but it's uphill and quite extreme on the elevation. Turn Four is also not straightforward, so they're both challenging.'
- VETTEL: 'It's interesting, a good challenge," said Vettel. "It's very dusty to start with, but the track seems fun, especially the wide entries give a lot of options to all the drivers. We'll see a good race on Sunday.'
- SCHUMACHER: 'This is a very interesting track with a challenging layout, and it's certainly enjoyable to drive.'
- SUTIL: 'The circuit is good fun and very nicely done. It has some challenging corners and there seem to be plenty of opportunities to overtake. It should make for an interesting and exciting race on Sunday.'
- DI RESTA: 'The track is quite exciting and the grip seems to be building nicely. It wonít be an easy race with the DRS zones being so effective and likely to result in lots of overtaking.'
- SENNA: 'The track is very good, thatís for sure. When I walked it yesterday it was clear it was going to be very dusty, and that was also the case this morning, but it is improving all the time. The corners are very fast and they encourage you to push, push, push so I think we can have a good weekend here. As the grip to improves and the racing line widens we should be able to push even harder!'
- BUEMI: 'Itís a beautiful circuit, Iím happy to be here and I hope we will have a lot of spectators on Saturday and Sunday.'
- ALGUERSUARI: 'The track looks really nice and itís a pleasure to drive it. The lap time makes it look like a short lap, because it is so quick, but from a driverís point of view, it is very interesting.'
- TRULLI: 'The track is not too hard to learn but itís interesting - there are a few different lines you can take and I think that will encourage overtaking, so Sundayís definitely going to be fun.'
- ROSBERG: 'The new track here in India is awesome. It has some very interesting corners, and that's why it takes a bit longer to get used to the layout than at some of the other new circuits. Turn two for example is very different; you come from downhill, then go up looking into the sky and so you see the hairpin very late, just before you arrive.'
- GLOCK: 'The track is just awesome and really good fun to drive.'
- RICCIARDO: 'I can say that it is quite a fun circuit, Iím happy with the layout and I think that most drivers will enjoy it.'
- CHANDHOK: 'The track itself is really enjoyable to drive, particularly the middle section which is very quick, and as it evolves and the times keep coming down I think weíll see some very good racing here all weekend.'
Finally the best one for last, nothing better than feeding some narcissism back to the English:
- ECCLESTONE:'They've done a magic job, its taken Silverstone 20 odd years and I don't think they've achieved it yet!!!'
Well done Jaypee on getting the most important thing spot on, the track layout, Bravo!!
Sources: BBC F1, F1.com
The track was designed by Hermann Tilke who is a German. I think the narcissism comment might be a bit misdirected, considering the irony there.