Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2006, 02:43   #46
BHPian

The great Finns, Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen.
Not to forge the great Ayrton Senna.
Old 26th August 2006, 13:53   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a
I agree senna was great, but wait schumi is gonna be greater....
Well my dear friend, if you say Schumi was the most successfull F1 Driver, ever, I guess no one would ever raise an issue.

Being the greatest and being the most successfull are not really the same. Greatest is more about character, flair and the ability to popularize the sport as a whole. On all regards, I would say Senna did a lot more to F1 than anyone else. No offence, but I can give a good list of long time F1 fans who have eventually lost interest because every race weekend was like a replay last few years. I would not blame Schumi for this, but just saying that Schumi's dominance did not help F1 either.

If the FIA DID have to bring in rules to curb this one driver (that's a debatable point, though), it is again to make F1 interesting for viewers. How many people do you think were bored of F1 in the times of Senna/Prost ?

There had been more than one occassion when Senna stopped on the track to help his fellow drivers who had an accident... and we have the other contender putting his life and others at risk by stalling his car just get an unfair advantage over his opponent. Senna was no god... he did have his own moments on track too... but the difference is, Senna was respected by his fellow drivers, and Schumi is being hated (agree most of it is out of fear...)
Old 26th August 2006, 14:12   #48
Senior - BHPian

Theres lot of difference between the greatest and the most famous, Schumacher can be said as the most famous but every body has different views about the greatest driver.
Old 26th August 2006, 14:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver
No offence, but I can give a good list of long time F1 fans who have eventually lost interest because every race weekend was like a replay last few years.
You can add my name on that list if you are maintaining one . I agree with the rest of your post by the way
Old 26th August 2006, 15:29   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Greatest is more about character, flair and the ability to popularize the sport as a whole.
Bernie wins that by a mile! And he has driven in F3 and F1 (?) quite unsuccessfully.
Old 26th August 2006, 20:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Being the greatest and being the most successfull are not really the same. Greatest is more about character, flair and the ability to popularize the sport as a whole.
Everything is subjective my friend... for me success brings greatness... At any race u see almost 75% of the grand stands covered in red... these ppl are the tifosi... and they are there because of one man.... Michael Schumacher... If this is not a proof of popularity, then what is??

Quote:
On all regards, I would say Senna did a lot more to F1 than anyone else. No offence, but I can give a good list of long time F1 fans who have eventually lost interest because every race weekend was like a replay last few years. I would not blame Schumi for this, but just saying that Schumi's dominance did not help F1 either.
I beg to differ... his dominace brought even more fans to F1 coz ordinary people became curious when every other weekend they heard a certain german dominating a sport like anything....
Old 26th August 2006, 21:09   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a
Everything is subjective my friend... for me success brings greatness... At any race u see almost 75% of the grand stands covered in red... these ppl are the tifosi... and they are there because of one man.... Michael Schumacher... If this is not a proof of popularity, then what is??

I beg to differ... his dominace brought even more fans to F1 coz ordinary people became curious when every other weekend they heard a certain german dominating a sport like anything....
its more of Marketing in todays F1.

as a F1 driver Schumi does not even come close to Fangio Senna Prost in that order - my personal view.

if Schumi can get people wearing red to the stands which is popularity
then
12 yrs later AYRTON SENNA DA SILVA is still the only name which gets u Emotional.

Senna had style talent guts and desire to cross limits man & machine.
Schumi does not have style its something he misses alot, although he has many wins.
on same lines in Moto GP Rossi has many wins but has created his style.

Moreover its now the machine which drives the driver. so if this modern F1 was with Senna u sure would know what Senna is.

would like to add both are great drivers!!

Last edited by 2fast4u : 26th August 2006 at 21:23.
Old 26th August 2006, 23:57   #53
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri
The great Finns, Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen.
Not to forge the great Ayrton Senna.
Exactly the same for me too.... ...
Old 27th August 2006, 01:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

I remember watching Senna and Schumacher slug it out in one of the races. I think it was the 1994 season opener (Brazilian Grand Prix). I distinctly remember Senna desparately trying to overtake Schumi but couldn't and eventually spun off. That day, I became a big fan of Schumi. It took lot of b***s to keep Senna at bay.

I don't know if many people remembered that Michael won three races when Senna was also in the fray (1 in 93 and 2 in 94), excluding the one where Senna had fatal crash. One of those he didn't finish (Brazilian) and in other two he had Gearbox and Collision problems.

I consider Senna as a great driver but so is Schumi. It would have been fun to watch both of them compete for longer time but alas it wasn't destined to be.
Old 27th August 2006, 01:09   #55

Well as for the greatest i think it would have to be Aryton Senna... let's not forget we are talking about a time when the safety wasn't exactly the same and fitness levels weren't as high.
Old 29th August 2006, 14:04   #56
BHPian

Hmmm..so many opinions and no right or wrong answer

My two cents...(limited to the modern era ad its unfair to compare drivers
across a span of 50 years)

Greatest in terms of ability would be Prost (know as the "professor' for his precise driving style)..He caused more than a few heartburns to Senna when they drove together.Senna ofcourse would be a close second...but has been glorified because of his larger than life image and tragic death on the race track.

Greatest in terms of wins is a no brainer..Schumacher who recently overtook Prosts win record.

Most famous can only be a contemporary driver because of the media blitz we are subjected to these days...and that would be Schumacher again.

Greatest in terms of charisma would be Senna, a maverick driver comparable to Tom Cruise's top gun pilot character.

Potential to be a great (I didn't say greatest)..Kimi and Alonso..Rossi (if he moves to F1 from the GP).

Personal fave...Kimi all the way..loved Hakkinen too.
Old 29th August 2006, 14:38   #57
BHPian

If I were to put my money on someone, it would probably be on Alain Prost or Schumacher. They were/are more reliable, with their clinical perfection. But if it were to decide the more exciting driver, it would have to be Senna. I had seen him make more mistakes than Schumacher who has been around racing much longer. But the way Senna would overtake in tight situations, or just spin out of control in a desperate bid to outbrake an opponent, his driving always promised more excitement. So, Senna is the one for me.
Old 29th August 2006, 14:40   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Bernie wins that by a mile! And he has driven in F3 and F1 (?) quite unsuccessfully.
Have to give you that one.... Though it was not entirely about what he did on-track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suman
You can add my name on that list if you are maintaining one
Sure... The list is endless... Wish every race was like the Hungarian GP this year in terms of entertainment... That's how F1 should be... thrilling and entertaining. Well, thats my 2c.

ess_a pal, 2fast4u has answered your queries so I don't have to repeat that again... I guess.
Old 29th August 2006, 14:44   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have to give you that one.... Though it was not entirely about what he did on-track.
And he's done it again hasn't he!!! Jean Todt is FURIOUS and has made no bones about his displeasure about Bernie's latest comments on Schumi retiring from F1!!
Old 29th August 2006, 15:48   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
And he's done it again hasn't he!!! Jean Todt is FURIOUS and has made no bones about his displeasure about Bernie's latest comments on Schumi retiring from F1!!
Thats right!!! Todt is probably upset that his secret for Monza is out already

It's going to be an interesting season... 2007

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks