Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2006, 14:42   #76
BANNED

Hey, Between the two battles ( Baleno vs OHC ) and this .. this is my Fav !! MS as we all know will be remembered definitely --- but for the negatives more than the positives . And comparing him the likes of Senna & Prost are an insult to the Greats of yester years .. when the races were more about drivers than cars .

I dont even watch F1 any more ... coz there is hardly any fun happening out there . Though Im gload that I watched the Hungarian Grand Prix , than to mother nature we had an eventful race ... like someone mentioned earlier , maybe Bernie shud install Sprinklers on all tracks -- start them , stop them, start them ... !! As for MS ... the lesser said the better ... had a much faster car bu still cudnt overtake Alonso .. pooor chappie !!

Cheers
Old 31st August 2006, 18:04   #77
BHPian

Ayrton Senna,Alain Prost and of course Mike schumacher!!!!
Old 31st August 2006, 18:19   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
I dont even watch F1 any more ... coz there is hardly any fun happening out there.
Hehe!! Sir 4 races to go, 12 points the difference... can it get better than this???
Old 31st August 2006, 18:40   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a
Hehe!! Sir 4 races to go, 12 points the difference... can it get better than this???
And after how many seasons have you seen an ending like this ???

Cheers
Old 31st August 2006, 18:48   #80
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
And after how many seasons have you seen an ending like this ???

Cheers
From 2000 to 2004 the endings in alternate year were same.
2000 - close fight
2001 - somewhat
2002 - wash
2003 - close one
2004 - again wash
2005 - all were happy as Ferrari/MS didnt win WC
Old 10th September 2006, 12:22   #81

Hey what's the definition of a legend, if not winning 7 championships that too 5 in a row.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th September 2006 at 14:13.
Old 14th September 2006, 03:35   #82
Senior - BHPian

For me it's MS. Senna was great too, no doubt about it. But MS beat him fair and square on more than a couple of occassions before he died.
Old 25th September 2011, 20:18   #83
BHPian

Re: Who is F1's greatest?

"all time greatest" is a canard in any sport - but agree we all feel compelled to vote for our favorites.

I think we have discussed all the drivers who would belong to "one of the greatest of all times"

In my opinion, Mansell, Mika, JV, Alonso, DH, Piquet [I may have skipped some discussed in this list] will NOT be a part of this club

I would vote for Senna although I was a huge MS fan after he joined Ferrari and never really liked Senna.

1994 was a very controversial season with the Benetton TC and I cannot believe anyone (including MS) could leave Senna in his wake. I don't think we had a chance to watch Senna MS battle that could have been. Senna winning 5 races in 1993 against the might Renault was a feat in itself.

Krishna
Old 26th September 2011, 21:46   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanjee View Post
"all time greatest" is a canard in any sport - but agree we all feel compelled to vote for our favorites.

I think we have discussed all the drivers who would belong to "one of the greatest of all times"

In my opinion, Mansell, Mika, JV, Alonso, DH, Piquet [I may have skipped some discussed in this list] will NOT be a part of this club

I would vote for Senna although I was a huge MS fan after he joined Ferrari and never really liked Senna.

1994 was a very controversial season with the Benetton TC and I cannot believe anyone (including MS) could leave Senna in his wake. I don't think we had a chance to watch Senna MS battle that could have been. Senna winning 5 races in 1993 against the might Renault was a feat in itself.

Krishna
That Benetton in '94 had TC is an allegation. An allegation that was never proven inspite of the absolute best efforts of the FIA. They scrutinized the car from every angle and found no trace of wrongdoing w.r.t its apparent TC. This myth (that MS and Benetton cheated in 94) has found its way through internet forums without it being ever proven by anyone at all.

Schumacher was very much the heir to the throne in 94. He was challenging Senna and he was getting the better of him quite a few times in their duels on track. Perhaps you need a refresher.

The biggest difference between the two is this : Ayrton Senna only 'Wished' to win a championship with Ferrari, but always declined to join them since he knew they wouldn't be able to give him the best car. Schumacher on the other hand, went to Ferrari, risked his entire career, built the team around him brick by brick, tested and trained like a maniac, with his 16 hour workdays and thousands of kilometers of testing took the legendary Italian team to levels of success unseen in Formula 1. Thats what makes a legend.

Also Senna won 5 races against the Williams team in 93 not Renault.

Cheers

Edited to Add: Had a good laugh at the posts who say Senna is greater than Schumacher because the latter was controversial. Its quite clear you dont know the first thing about Ayrton Senna or his racing.

Last edited by PuntoMania : 26th September 2011 at 21:50.
Old 26th September 2011, 22:10   #85
Senior - BHPian

I would vote Senna as the greatest driver of F1.Nikki Lauda was another daring driver who did everything to win.My personal great is "The Professor" Alain Prost.The most cool headed F1 driver ever to be in the sport.
Old 27th September 2011, 07:48   #86
BHPian

@puntomania

To be accurate Senna won against williams-renault with prost driving it. Renault motor was a class above the rest and Benetton switched to using the Renault motor in 95. This accomplishment is significant in that respect and the McLaren was a dog. Yes I watched every race that season even when it meant getting up very early in the morning or staying up late at night. So, not everyone's knowledge is through internet forums and wikipedia.

Agree MS and HIS TEAM brought Ferrari back to success and I have watched and relished a lot of his victories and championships. I watched 96 Montreal live when both the Ferraris broke down with drive shafts falling off as MS tried to exit his pit box. I also watched Monza [when he battled Montoya going to second variante where I was seated] and Indy [when MH's rear brake caught fire] live when MS won those events.
He won 3 races against Williams-Reanult in his first year..

To me this is legend material - I don't think anyone would deny. But this in itslef would not make him the greatest of all time. I would have rated him above Senna had he not used team orders and had competitive team mates. To me that is an important criteria.

Yeah you can laugh about this and say we don't know a thing about "Ayrton" - you have not exactly shared your insider information apart from referring to him by first name.

-Krishna
Old 27th September 2011, 08:23   #87
Senior - BHPian

My Top-5 would be:
  1. Ayrton Senna
  2. Ayrton Senna
  3. Ayrton Senna
  4. Alain Prost
  5. Michael Schumacher
Old 27th September 2011, 09:14   #88
BHPian

In my opinion

1. Ayrton Senna
2. Michael Schumacher

After a few years i can see Sebastin Vettal in the list.
Old 27th September 2011, 09:37   #89
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to the professor, Alain Prost.
Old 27th September 2011, 09:48   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanjee View Post
@puntomania

I would have rated him above Senna had he not used team orders and had competitive team mates. To me that is an important criteria.

-Krishna
I don't know why people hold Schumacher and Senna to different standards. Whatever Schumacher did, Senna had already done before. Infact, the ruthless driving on the track that Schumacher did was made famous by Senna before. And don't even get me started on team orders. Senna always got preferential treatment from his team. Just ask Prost and why he said he would never again team up with him.
I can understand people calling Senna the greatest driver. I agree he is one of the greatest driver ever. But at the same time, saying that Schumacher can never be the greatest driver because he cheated and used team orders in his favour is funny to put it mildly.
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks