Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2005, 19:29   #1
BHPian

Who is F1's greatest?

Many years have gone by in F1, and many highly rated drivers have come and gone...but who according to you guys is worthy of the title of being F1's greatest and most famous??
Old 8th September 2005, 21:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Just as I thought that not many heated debates are happening on T-BHP off late, you straight away hit the jackpot. I am sure, this will be one of the most debated threads. There was Prost, there was Fangio and there was all time great Senna. But, my choice would rest with Schumacher.

Found one interesting link on BBC : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3168114.stm
Old 8th September 2005, 21:30   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well there were different greats from differnent eras..so its pretty difficult to decide who is the greatest because all kinds of technology were available to each one of them at different levels and none had all the technologies(known to f1 till date) available at their disposal.. so going by the eras it would have to be:
1. 1950's - juan manuel fangio & alberto ascari..
2. 1960's - jim alark,graham hill & jack brabham..
2. 1970's - jackie stewart,niki lauda & mario andretti..
3. 1980's - nelson piquet,giles villeneuve,alain prost,ayrton senna..
4. 1990's - ayrton senna(again),nigel mansel,alain prost(yet again),damon hill, michael schumacher & mika hakkinen..
5. 2000's(1st half) - michael schumacher,JPM,kimi raikkonen & fernando alonso..
so i would rate the greatest from that era and not all the way back from 1950-2005 as it would be unfair to the greats back from the golden are as they didnt have such immaculate safety features..
Old 8th September 2005, 22:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Michael Schumacher...
Old 9th September 2005, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its Michael schumacher for me.
Old 9th September 2005, 13:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Have been following F1 from the mid 90s ... so opinion on all drivers before that would primarily be based on hearsay and archives ..

From what I have experienced since the time I've been into F1 .. it's Mika for me

Last edited by shuvc : 9th September 2005 at 13:13.
Old 9th September 2005, 13:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Schumacher
Many years have gone by in F1, and many highly rated drivers have come and gone...but who according to you guys is worthy of the title of being F1's greatest and most famous??
Greatest and most famous are totally different things!

I'll talk about the greatest. For me it is Senna without question! A lot of people think that Schumacher is the greatest...but i beg to differ. He is definitely the most successful driver in F1 history (stats don't lie). But the greatest? Hell...no!
Old 9th September 2005, 14:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Ok, I will restrict myself to drivers I've actually seen race, and not go into the previous generation of drivers (I'll leave that for the elders on this forum ).

As far as the greatest driver goes, that's a question no-one can ever answer accurately. But, my personal best would be a tie between Prost & Schumacher.

Prost: As he was and still is one of the most precise drivers ever. Also, lets remember that he did win the Championship against some real serious competition, and even when Senna was his own teammate. IMO, Prost was a better driver than Senna.

Schumacher: well, if you look closely, he really has a similar style to Senna. They both liked to intimidate their opponents, sometime using force and questionable driving techniques to get what they want.

However, as for all things old, they are looked at through rose tinted glasses, hence Senna's driving is seen as passionate, while Schumi's is cheating!! But, what they both share is the will to win against all odds and are willing to do almost anything to get that trophy.

Also, remember, he won his first Championship with a car that was nowhere as good as the competition. It's only in recent years that he had a car advantage.

If you hold a gun to my head and ask me to chose between Prost & Schumi, well, it would Schumi for me.

I saw mclaren1885 mention Damon Hill. Although everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I would love to know the reason behind your choice. He is a decent driver (nobody wins a WC if they are not), but definitely not up there with the greatest.
Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2005, 15:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
However, as for all things old, they are looked at through rose tinted glasses, hence Senna's driving is seen as passionate, while Schumi's is cheating!! But, what they both share is the will to win against all odds and are willing to do almost anything to get that trophy.
You snatched words from my mouth. Senna had personal charisma/glamour surrounding him, which made him larger than life figure. No doubt, he was a great (or greatest?) driver in wet conditions.
Old 9th September 2005, 16:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am a big fan of Mika Hakkinen. But since the question is on who is the greatest, I will have to grudgingly give that to Schumacher. He has won the most. He is classic in the rain. Senna? Well he is dead. Schumacher is not.
Old 9th September 2005, 16:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

I started following F1 only from last year. So, I dont think I am the right person to judge here. I will not make any comment on the best F1 driver ever, but from whatever little I have seen, I admire Schumaker and Kimi.
Old 9th September 2005, 18:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to Prost.One person with precise judgement,control and calm head.
Schumi is excellent undoubtebly,but he is certainly not a legend yet.He has to slog a little more to attain that legendary status.

X
Old 9th September 2005, 19:17   #13
BHPian

I have to say its going to be Micheal Schumacher for me too..Senna, yes...he's in a league of his own, buI do feel that the driving styles of bith Senna's and MSC's are similar in many ways.
I ALSO FEEL THAT SENNA GETS JUST AS MUCH ATTENTION AS MICHAEL...BUT I FEEL HE GETS MORE OF IT BECAUSE HE DIED WHILE RACING...
PS: OPINIONS MAY DIFFER WITH WHAT I HAVE SAID.....NO OFFENCES TO ANYONE:(
Old 9th September 2005, 19:28   #14
BANNED

Senna all the way, on the McLaren Honda, had the chance to meet the greatest in person in Canada GP, was amazingly humble and low key considering his status.
Schumacher is truly good and talented but he raced in a different time, probably the best in the current crop. Senna was God in rain, where Prost withdrew, Senna kept going, goes to show the commitment and self belief. He was equally good in dry or for that matter any terrain.

Don't forget Rossi, although from Moto GP, he is the one and only living genius like Senna.
Old 9th September 2005, 19:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Its Michael Schumacher for me too.it takes some special talent in a man to make a team like ferrari bow before him year after year and no wonder ron dennis is constantly checking on him.

He has a very special relation with the team and i dont think any driver would ever close to such a relation.

when senna died in 1994,MS was leading the WC(if i am correct) and senna hadn't won a race.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks