Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 22:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Captain. Loved all your car choices ,would appreciate a small note on the Holden, always suspect this brand. Apart from this your choices have been awesome. Loved the Vectra in my college days.

Not that you are old but I guess the ride/ seating height and the smooth engine and transmission of the Hyundai Creta is the best option on the list you have shortlisted.

If you want to have some fun pick the Jeep Compass Longitude. Though not available in AT, the smiles you have had in your career will continue. Salute.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 23:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Member

Welcome to the forum, Sir. It's great to see a military man from near my Dad's generation of officers here.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences during conflicts in the distant past and more recent skirmishes with our neighbour.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 02:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Hi, Welcome to Team-BHP!

I wonder if you would know my grandfather - Air Commodore Chakladar. He too started flying in 1963-64 I think. Similarly, was posted for two years in Baghdad. Not sure about the year though.

Best,
Promit
Hi Promit,

I've casually met Chakladar a couple of times. He was 2 courses junior to me. His course mate, SP Tyagi, who later become Air Chief Marshal, was my room mate at Pathankot in 1966-67. Tyagi and Chakladar were close friends. Tyagi used to talk about him quite often.

I am sure your grandfather will remember me.

Best regards,

Vidyadhar
Shivaji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 03:14   #19
BHPian

This must be the best introduction thread in this forum so far. You have had such amazing experiences all the world which we all hope you can enrich us with. Welcome to the forum sir!
Old 29th March 2019, 04:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP.
Your profile is so vast and adventurous. It's nice to have you here.

There are quite a few threads where your valuable input would count.

Regarding the car you want to purchase, my simple suggestion for you is to test drive each one and then weigh the pros and cons. This forum will also give you an unbiased review of all the cars, so you can then narrow down your choices and have a final decision.
Dear ruzbehxyz,

You are absolutely right. I plan to spend a few months test driving these cars before finally deciding.

Thanks. Best regards,

Vidyadhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Sir - Welcome to Team BHP, we are privileged to have people like yourself on this forum

With your vast experiences on the road driving various cars in different countries as well as flying planes and jets in the skies, we look forward to reading your first hand accounts of them
Dear NPV,

Thank you for your welcome. I look forward to interacting with you all.

Best regards,

Vidyadhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Shivaji, welcome to the forum. Delighted to have a distinguished ex-IAF officer in the family. That is quite a widespread range of aircraft you have flown. I assume from the number of pistons you were an instructor on them in your days at SG and AU? Curious about the L29 and S211? L29 in Iraq and S211 in SG? And the MiG-15 / Sabre combination demands your views on both and which is better. Where on earth did you fly the MiG-15! We look forward to your contributions on our aviation threads.
Dear Narayan,

Yes I was an instructor on some of these aircraft that I had listed.

The L29 I flew in Iraq at their Academy in Tikrit. After 6 months there I was posted to Mosul, Iraq to a unit called the OCU (Operational Conversion Unit). Students who graduated from Tikrit and those selected for the fighter stream were sent to the OCU at Mosul. I flew the MIG15 at the OCU.

This reminds me of a close call I had on the MIG15. When I was on the Base Leg, the engine suddenly flamed out. At that height and speed I was below the Ejection Minima. Option to eject was ruled out. I immediately selected Flaps UP. This timely action saved me. I just managed to glide onto the runway. The ground below was all rocky, absolutely unsuitable for a forced landing.

The MIG15 had both a dual seat and single seat versions. The dual check and instructional training was done on the dual seater before students were sent solo in the single seater.

The Marchetti S211 I flew with the Singapore Air Force at Perth, Australia in 1994-96. Due to air space constraints in Singapore the Singapore air force shifted their Intermediate stage flying training to Perth.

The F86F Sabre I flew at Nellis Air Force Base, Las Vegas in 1964 where I did the Gunnery Course. The F86F is a single seat fighter. Our dual check was done on the T33A before being cleared to fly the F86F. The Sabre did extremely well in the Korean conflict which is where it met the MIG15 in air combat. The Sabre is equipped with leading edge flaps that come out during tight turns. This adds tremendously to the Lift being generated. This gives the aircraft excellent turning performance. Superior turning performance is essential for air combat. The MIG15 was no match for the Sabre.

Pakistan air force was also equipped with the Sabres during the '65 war. However, our Gnats proved to be superior and shot down several of the Sabres in air to air skirmishes. The Gnat was then dubbed the "Sabre Slayer". I flew the Gnats for 3 years. I commanded an Ajeet Squadron from 1982 to 84. The Indian made Ajeet is a copy of the UK made Gnat.

Warm regards,

Vidyadhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Welcome to the forum sir! This is probably the only introduction on the forum that gave me goosebumps as I read it. What an amazing career you've had! Do share more of your life experiences on the forum and good luck with your move back.
Dear Iyencar,

God has been very kind to me. That's all I can say.

Warm regards,

Vidyadhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchettry View Post
Welcome to the Team, Sir. I haven't ever read an introduction like yours - 50 years of active flying!
I wish you all the best and would like to hear more from you.
Regards
Sravan
Dear skchettry,

Thank you for your welcome. Much appreciated.

I may add, 50 years of active flying, without a single accident. Also, 65 years of driving without a single accident. This was by God's grace.

Warm regards,

Vidyadhar

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th March 2019 at 05:34. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Shivaji is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 05:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Welcome to the forum Captain. Loved all your car choices ,would appreciate a small note on the Holden, always suspect this brand. Apart from this your choices have been awesome. Loved the Vectra in my college days.

Not that you are old but I guess the ride/ seating height and the smooth engine and transmission of the Hyundai Creta is the best option on the list you have shortlisted.

If you want to have some fun pick the Jeep Compass Longitude. Though not available in AT, the smiles you have had in your career will continue. Salute.
Dear Arjun Reddy,

Thank you for your welcome. Much appreciated.

When I came to Australia in '97 I initially bought a Ford Laser. In 2002, a friend of mine in Sydney who owned a Holden Commodore spoke highly of it. Since it was 5 years since I had the Ford Laser it was time to change my car. So I traded in the Laser for the Commodore.

I used the Commodore for a good 6 years. It was an Australian built vehicle. There used to be a Holden car factory in Australia. Due to very high cost of labour it shut down in 2017. The Australian car industry cannot compete with Asian car manufacturers due to high cost of labour in Australia.

The Commodore was a very good car, 3000cc, very powerful. My wife and I have had some long drives in it. We once drove from Tamworth to Adelaide, a distance of 1500 Kms. It took me 3 days of comfortable driving to cover this distance. On the way back we drove via the Great Ocean road from Adelaide to Melbourne. That drive is THE most scenic drives in Australia.

Attached please find a photo of the Commodore. I am trying to attach it but it is not coming through. Maybe its because I am still a Newbie.

This photo was taken in 2004 on the Great Ocean Road.

The Opel Vectra I bought in 1997 after returning from Perth to Singapore. By then I had retired from the Singapore Air Force. I used the car just for a few months before I got this other job in Australia. So I had to leave the car behind. I transferred it to my son who is a Captain in Singapore Airlines. The Vectra was another good car, good German quality, solid build.

Regarding the Creta, it's a good looking SUV. But I've been warned it's a fuel guzzler. Also the interior is not as big as one would expect. The City, a sedan, is more spacious, also more fuel effecient. I'll test drive both before finally deciding. Thanks for your suggestion.

Jeep Compass is not automatic. On my last few visits to Chennai I was driving a borrowed manual transmission car. In the bumper to bumper traffic in Chennai, it was a pain to keep shifting gears every 30 seconds. Most of my driving will be in Chennai. So I thought an automatic is the way to gp.

Warm regards,

Vidyadhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Welcome to the forum, Sir. It's great to see a military man from near my Dad's generation of officers here.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences during conflicts in the distant past and more recent skirmishes with our neighbour.
Dear R2D2,

Thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated.

Great to hear that your dad was in the military also. Was he from the army? What is his background? Would love to hear more about your dad.

Warm regards,

Vidyadhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
This must be the best introduction thread in this forum so far. You have had such amazing experiences all the world which we all hope you can enrich us with. Welcome to the forum sir!
Dear Yieldway,

Thank you for the welcome. Much appreciated.

I see that you drive the Jazz. We have one here in Australia. I bought it for my daughter in 2007 when she joined us in Australia from Singapore. Last year I bought her a Mazda CX3. The Jazz has been given to my grandson who is now 21, on his way to becoming a doctor.

Our Jazz still runs very well. It has clocked more than 220,000 Kms these past 12 years. Our grandson has taken it with him to Wagga Wagga a country town, 400 KMs from Sydney. He needs to spend one year in a country town. He'll be back home end of this year. I used to take for a ride sometimes in the Jazz instead of my Tarago.

The Jazz is sold in two variants here in Australia, 1200cc and 1500cc. We opted for the 1500cc one. Drives like a dream.

Warm regards,

Vidyadhar

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th March 2019 at 08:52. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts, made within the 30 mins Edit window.
Shivaji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 08:57   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivaji View Post
Attached please find a photo of the Commodore. I am trying to attach it but it is not coming through. Maybe its because I am still a Newbie.

This photo was taken in 2004 on the Great Ocean Road.
For help with the uploading process, please refer this link:
Uploading pics to Team-BHP (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP)

Here's a pic of my car clicked during our drive on the Great Ocean Road during the Xmas break. Was an awesome drive!
Great Ocean Road
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 09:38   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear R2D2, Thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated. Great to hear that your dad was in the military also. Was he from the army? What is his background? Would love to hear more about your dad.
Hello Sir, my Dad was in the IN. He graduated from the NDA (10th course) I think in 1957. He was also the ADC to the NDA Commandant in the early '60s.

He also served on several Naval ships and offshore facilities including stints at the DSSC Wellington.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th March 2019 at 09:41.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 11:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hello Sir, my Dad was in the IN. He graduated from the NDA (10th course) I think in 1957. He was also the ADC to the NDA Commandant in the early '60s.

He also served on several Naval ships and offshore facilities including stints at the DSSC Wellington.
Hello R2D2,

Happy to hear that your dad was 10th course NDA. I was in 22nd Course. If he was there in the early 60s it may have been when I was a cadet there from Jun 59 to Jun 62. What's your dad's rank and name? The NDA Commandant in the early 60s was Rear Adm Samson.

Cheers

Vidyadhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
For help with the uploading process, please refer this link:
Uploading pics to Team-BHP (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP)

Here's a pic of my car clicked during our drive on the Great Ocean Road during the Xmas break. Was an awesome drive!
Great Ocean Road
Photo of the Commodore that I tried to attach the last time did not go through. After receiving some instructions from Support I am trying to do it again. Hope it is successful this time. I am still trying to get the hang of this program. Please bear with me till I succeed.

New Member-dscn0777.jpg

Regards

Vidyadhar

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th March 2019 at 11:18. Reason: Merged post + added pic inline with post.
Shivaji is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 12:22   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Happy to hear that your dad was 10th course NDA. I was in 22nd Course. If he was there in the early 60s it may have been when I was a cadet there from Jun 59 to Jun 62. What's your dad's rank and name? The NDA Commandant in the early 60s was Rear Adm Samson.
Hi Sir, I will send you a personal message with details.

If I remember correctly the Commandant (when Papa was the ADC) was Gen Bakshi This was in 1963-64 after you graduated from the NDA. I hesitated to use the term "passed-out" because it also means fainting.

I also have childhood memories of Adm. Samson.

PS - I was unable to send you a personal message but have sent an email via T-BHP. Hope you receive it.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th March 2019 at 12:27.
Old 29th March 2019, 13:30   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I retired from flying in 2012 at age 70. Settled in Sydney.

Honda City VX or ZX CVT
Hyundai Verna SX(O) 1.6 VTVT AT
Creta 1.6 VTVT petrol AT
VW 1.2 TSI Vento Highline Plus
Honda Jazz VX CVT (last choice since it is a small car)
What a resume!

Of the cars you have listed I would choose between the City and the Creta. The Verna is fun to drive and has better build quality than the City but cramped in the rear seat.

If you intend to ferry more than 4 passengers the Verna and Yaris might prove to be wanting. The USP of the Yaris is the low NVH and excellent safety and build quality (better than the Verna).

The Yaris, however not lit up the sales charts. Speaking of which the Creta almost outsells, the City, Ciaz, Verna, Yaris and Vento combined!
Old 29th March 2019, 14:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What a resume!

Of the cars you have listed I would choose between the City and the Creta. The Verna is fun to drive and has better build quality than the City but cramped in the rear seat.

If you intend to ferry more than 4 passengers the Verna and Yaris might prove to be wanting. The USP of the Yaris is the low NVH and excellent safety and build quality (better than the Verna).

The Yaris, however not lit up the sales charts. Speaking of which the Creta almost outsells, the City, Ciaz, Verna, Yaris and Vento combined!
Hi Navin,

The Creta LOOKS good, no doubt about. Also it has turned out to be extremely popular going by sales figures. But I am given to understand it is a fuel guzzler. On the inside, the City has more cabin space. The boot volume is also bigger in the City. So why this craze for the Creta? I think the public has over rated the SUV brand.

If the Verna has the same engine as the Creta won't that also have fuel efficiency problems?

What is your take on the 1.2 TSI Vento Highline Plus? Though the engine is only 1.2L it is turbo charged and this brings it at par with other 1.5L non aspirated engines, producing 103 BHP. It's good German engineering, solid build. The FE figures are also quite good.

Cheers

Vidyadhar
Old 29th March 2019, 15:16   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Navin,

The Creta LOOKS good, no doubt about. But I am given to understand it is a fuel guzzler. I think the public has over rated the SUV brand.

If the Verna has the same engine as the Creta won't that also have fuel efficiency problems?

What is your take on the 1.2 TSI Vento Highline Plus?

Vidyadhar
Hi Vidyadhar,

You are absolutely right. The Creta is not as fuel efficient as the Honda City. And yes much of it's sales have been due to latest fad for "SUV type" cars. Another thing you might want to note: the front seats in the Creta are not as comfortable or supportive as those in the City, Yaris, or Verna. They feel "functional" similar to the seat of a small Cessna not "luxurious". Younger drivers don't notice but I did (and I am 20 years younger than you).

I believe the engine in the Verna is tuned differently from the Creta.

The Vento is quite dated. I think the last facelift was in 2015. Even so in pure "driving dynamics" it is far better sorted than the City (the City however has more space). If road manners are on the top of your list you should look at the Yaris as well. It is very mature and sorted. However, like the Vento, the Yaris too has limited rear space (comfortable for 2 but not for 3).

If you are considering a sedan I will quote below an email I sent to my wife when she was considering one.

"In order of preference:
Engine (power, driving fun): Verna, City, Yaris, Ciaz (Verna has best engine of all 4, City is a close second3 ).

Build quality: Yaris, Verna, Ciaz, City. (Yaris and Verna top. Post 2015-16 City has several complaints for early rusting, Honda workmanship is not what it used to be).

Comfort (ride quality): Yaris, Ciaz, Verna, City (Yaris is mature and does not get rattled by potholes, Ciaz is soft and plush and has oodles of room)

Back Seat space: Ciaz, City, Yaris, Verna (Ciaz offers more space in the back, City is quite good, Yaris and Verna seat only 4 but Yaris has better legroom).

Safety: Yaris, Verna, City, Ciaz (Yaris VX has rear disc brakes, 7 air bags and tons of safety stuff, Verna and City have 6 airbags, Ciaz only 2).

Features: Verna, City, Yaris, Ciaz (Verna has the best audio system of the 4 and lots of other features).

Synopsis for each car:
Honda City: Good engine, audio system is good but not as good as Verna, plenty of space but harsh ride in the rear seat, lots of complaints about pre-mature rusting.

Hyundai Verna: Best Engine, Best audio system and other features, rear seat is cramped with limited leg room. No room for 3 in the back

Toyota Yaris: Best Build, Engine is not powerful but still refined for the city although noisy at high rpms on the highway, Rear seat is comfortable and has good leg room but width is for only 2 passengers, Best safety, Best aircon system for rear and Best Safety with 7 air bags and rear disc brakes

Maruti Ciaz: Best rear space and rear seat has space for 3, Engine is relaxed for the city and can be sluggish on highway, Worst Safety with only 2 air bags (City and Verna have 6, Yaris has 7)
"

Needless to say, my wife hasn't decided yet. It has been 6 months since I told her to change her car and have given up.

I am also linking a couple of threads below that might help.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedan...nt-sedans.html (Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedan...nt-sedans.html (Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans)

A final thought. If your budget can stretch to the Toyota Corolla it ticks of all the boxes. Comfort, good engine, rear seat can accommodate 3, and good safety. Just a thought.

Last edited by navin : 29th March 2019 at 15:32.
navin is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 15:55   #29
BHPian

Thanks Navin for the detailed response. Much appreciated. It will take me a while to digest all this info.

You have done a detailed study on this.

Best regards,

Vidyadhar
Shivaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 13:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

My membership was recently approved...

Wondering which car to buy. It will have to be a medium sized, petrol automatic. I am planning to take the help of Team BHP members to make this choice. From the information I could gather from here I have shortlisted the following cars (not in that order):

Honda City VX or ZX CVT
Hyundai Verna SX(O) 1.6 VTVT AT
Creta 1.6 VTVT petrol AT
VW 1.2 TSI Vento Highline Plus
Honda Jazz VX CVT (last choice since it is a small car)
First of all, welcome to Team-BHP.

In my opinion fist make a choice between Hatch/Sedan/Baby SUV/SUV. As you mentioned the list as an array from all segment, I would like to suggest you to wait till Hyundai Venue launch, it is going to be a feature rich sub compact 4 meter baby SUV.

A dedicated thread on the discussions about this baby SUV is here - LINK

Last edited by nkumarblr : 4th April 2019 at 13:26.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks