Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 14:05   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
You forgot another important thing about India besides Traffic & Food - Indian Music & Movies.

I think Sam wooed you with Bollywood songs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
OK I'll do it. As most of my friends know, I have no great feelings for bollywood, unlike Normally_crazy who loves and lives Bollywood.

While I am not too fond of it, I have a healthy respect for the genre.

Bollywood, especially Shahrukh Khan is massively famous in Germany, with entire sections of music stores and libraries dedicated to bollywood.

TheOne® however had not seen any Bollywood. No exposure and no idea.

Armed with the knowledge that she loves old style movies and musicals and loves melody and dancing and all beautiful things, I came to her home with a German Subtitled version of "Kabhi Khushi, Kabhi Ghum"

The rest I think is history. I may have created a Bollywood monster. 3.5 hours of emotions and she enjoyed it thoroughly. Also is madly in love with the title track, amongst other Hindi songs.

I'm now thinking that my exposure to Bollywood is going to increase greatly lol. My only guide is normally_crazy.
So, no prize for me for getting it right?
Old 6th March 2008, 14:11   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
we refer to love from the depths of the liver than from the bottom of the heart. The fascination with the heart is a western one though we do have references to the heart too. I dont know the reason for this - probably the fact that the liver purifies blood while the heart is only the pump?
Wow, that is interesting. I have never heard this with reference to the liver before, never. The liver purifying blood and the heart pumping it through the body... Makes sense and has a beautiful meaning with regards to love. But then again what about the heart beating faster when you feel strong emotions or the heart beat stopping when in shock and so on?
Old 6th March 2008, 14:15   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
TheOne®'s real name is Jenny!
Ah so it is out then, lol.

Yup Jennifer's the name and Discover India's the name of the game

EDIT: This is now officially the longest Introduction thread in the history of Team-BHP. The amazing thing is that members are still welcoming you. Truly wonderful.
You know, in a way my dear, you've already moved to India.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 6th March 2008 at 14:19.
Old 6th March 2008, 14:22   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
Hallo everyone,

I look forward to sharing my first-hand experiences with you on this forum. See you around!
Oh tat is great intro.And special welcome for Sam friend."Sam" is special to me even though not other way around.Coz I love audio and listen wat sam and navin says.Now I have one more in the circle.

So hope you won't fall out from the forum and push you brain over here
Old 6th March 2008, 14:29   #125
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: This is now officially the longest Introduction thread in the history of Team-BHP. The amazing thing is that members are still welcoming you. Truly wonderful.
I know what you mean, it truly feels wonderful. And I am really really pleasantly surprised. I have said it before but once again: thanks to all of you for all those warm welcomes!
Old 6th March 2008, 15:01   #126
BHPian

welcome to team-bhp TheOneBhabhiJi®.
Okay i have rated an excellent to the thread.
Old 6th March 2008, 15:15   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Moved to India and 'moved by' India!

Welcome TheOne®, and have a wonderful time, both on TBHP and in India.
Old 6th March 2008, 16:49   #128
BANNED

Welcome to India TheOne@ ,the land of happiness and joy

Padahro Mahre Desh Ma

Cheers!
Old 6th March 2008, 16:57   #129
Senior - BHPian

welcome onboard team-bhp!!!

wow!! your intro thread just broke the record of maximum(121) replies earlier held by one toyota lover who is no longer around, but i am sure our beloved yeti ('sameer singh kapasia' will make sure you are around.)
Old 6th March 2008, 19:20   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interestingly, most references to love and romance in Indian languages talk about the liver more than the heart (Jigar in Hindi, Karal in Malayalam, etc) - we refer to love from the depths of the liver than from the bottom of the heart. The fascination with the heart is a western one though we do have references to the heart too. I dont know the reason for this - probably the fact that the liver purifies blood while the heart is only the pump?
Hmm..well... Half of all hindi movie titles and songs have the word "Dil"
Old 6th March 2008, 19:47   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Actually, it should be "I will give my kidney's blood to your lovely red lips"

Dude you can't mix up kidney and liver just because it is mixed while eating, lol

In any case, blood from the kidney just might piss someone off.
Quote:
Nope. It means I will give blood from my LIVER.

Interestingly, most references to love and romance in Indian languages talk about the liver more than the heart
The fascination with the heart is a western one though we do have references to the heart too.
I would strongly disagree with you. Hindi songs are almost always about the dil, the heart. Pyaar is also done Dil se. Under, over, around and inside your dil.

Jigar can be translated as liver, but it more commonly refers to spunk/ guts/ courage. Yeh kaam karne ke liye Jigar chahiye. You need guts to do this work.

Itne paise kharch karne ka mera jigar nahi tha. I did not have the courage to spend that much money.

In fact there are few songs that refer to Jigar and love. Give me an example of a romantic song with the word Jigar. You will find that very few exist.
I can think of a Himmesh song (because I detest him) from Humko Deewana Kar gaye. Tum nazar mein, tum jigar mein utar gaye etc.
I am sure there are more, but nowhere in comparison to the number of times Dil is used in Hindi songs.

Do not confuse this romantic notion with Kaleje ka tukda (literally translated as a piece of my liver) which means someone inseparable, precious to you. Again, kaleje ka tukda is less romantic and more parental in nature.

I do not know about Malayalam but I cannot think of any Hindi song where love is expressed from the bottom of the liver. Gautam? Can you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hmm..well... Half of all hindi movie titles and songs have the word "Dil"
Exactly.

Lastly: Sorry dear, back to your intro thread...

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 6th March 2008 at 19:50.
Old 6th March 2008, 20:05   #132
BHPian

welcome on board, would u mind translating your signatures in english
Cheers
w.ajay
Old 6th March 2008, 20:06   #133
Senior - BHPian

WOW....this is officially the longest intro thread ever.!

Welcome aboard Jenny.!

Have a pleasant stay here.

Cheers
Old 6th March 2008, 21:38   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In fact there are few songs that refer to Jigar and love. Give me an example of a romantic song with the word Jigar. You will find that very few exist.
on top of my mind, "jaane jigar jaane man...."

you are right about the courage part.

"terer paas jagir hai, to mere paas jigar hai" -phool aur kaante.
Old 6th March 2008, 23:03   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jigar can be translated as liver, but it more commonly refers to spunk/ guts/ courage. Yeh kaam karne ke liye Jigar chahiye. You need guts to do this work.

Itne paise kharch karne ka mera jigar nahi tha. I did not have the courage to spend that much money.

Jigar is overloaded word. While literally it means liver, it is figuratively used for courage like in the examples you gave above. It however is also used as *heart* in several songs.

An example of a few romantic songs with jigar is

"Jaane kahan mera, Jigar gaya ji". A lovely song where Johnny Walker is searching for his heart.

"Nazar ke saamne, jigar ke paas", Jigar here is definitely used as heart and not liver or courage.

Then ofcourse, there is Beedi Jalai-le, Jigar se piya, Jigar ma badi aag hai
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks