Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 14:26   #16
BHPian

Re: My Ambassador

@BulZire : Sure,I will post it by this week end.Tommorrow evening am leaving to CBE,So i will post by saturday evening.

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 5th May 2011 at 14:43.
Old 8th May 2011, 20:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

The AMBASSADOR in Tamil Nadu is called 'Pleasure'

Don't know the exact origins, but heard that word a lot in reference to the AMBY.
Old 12th May 2011, 11:14   #18
BHPian

Uh. thats a nice post and a very nicely maintained car. Passion is what drives a man huh ! Nice wheels you ve got there. I wonder if i can fit it for my padmini !
Old 12th May 2011, 14:46   #19
BHPian

Thanks @ Rubbertramps and @ARUN
Old 12th May 2011, 17:12   #20
BHPian

Sorry BulZire,
The interior were bit dirty after coming from workshop.I will update it soon.
Thanks

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 12th May 2011 at 17:32. Reason: Sentence
Old 12th May 2011, 17:18   #21
BHPian

Hi,
Last week i reworked the crown.Since its been already crossing 80000 kms +.Luckily no bearings were gone.Only the axle bearings replaced.The cost of the spares is Rs.1300/- and the labour cost is Rs.1000/-...Saturday morning the work started and on sunday afternoon i took the car after i satisfied with the trail.

I have attached some of the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ambassador-photo0109.jpg  

My Ambassador-photo0110.jpg  

My Ambassador-photo0110-1.jpg  

My Ambassador-photo0111.jpg  

My Ambassador-photo0112.jpg  

My Ambassador-photo0113.jpg  

My Ambassador-photo0116.jpg  

My Ambassador-photo0117.jpg  

My Ambassador-photo0118.jpg  

My Ambassador-photo0123.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 28th June 2011, 17:15   #22
BANNED

Very Intresting Mahesh

I'm thinking of upgrading my Amby with a power steering and power brakes. I'm looking for used ones around Coimbatore. I guess it's an 1981, Nova with Matador engine. Can you pl suggest your take?
Old 15th July 2011, 17:10   #23
BHPian

I was busy with some work,I didnt saw your message.Sorry

Power brakes in the sense,you are talking about booster brakes right.The used booster kits are available in CBE.
Power steerings are available in coimbatore market.But we need to take an extra care before getting it.The mechanics will have a regular dealer for this.They will guarantee for the used one also.
Old 18th July 2011, 12:33   #24
BANNED

Thanks Mahesh

Any idea how much it will cost for pwr steering used, Booster brakes used & Matador 305 overhaul individualy? Pl refer some place @ CBE if possible
Old 18th July 2011, 14:02   #25
BHPian

Power Steering around 20000 to 25000.
Booster brakes will work through the vaccum,So alternator need to be changed.If you have alternator of that type means,then it will cost you around 5000 to 7000 with drums.
Matador overhaul around 30000 rupees.

Around Coimbatore city,Popular engine reworks,Cheran reworks are good ones..There are many areas where the engine rework done in CBE..But i dont know about the quality of the work...

In Salem,65 year old guy called Durai is famous for engine rework...Based on your location you can contact them and also make a visit to their workshops and look for the engines which they have reworked...That may give you a good idea.

Are you around CBE or some other place.If you want any help,you inform me while coming to CBE,I will also join you.

CBE there are 2 to 3 places for engine overhaul...
dmaheshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 16:41   #26

Hi Mahesh,

I have recently bought an 1983 model Ambassador. Basically I bought this car for my dad, as he just loves amby's for its space, cushy ride, comfortable seats and so do I. I am planning to do a complete overhaul of the car.

Right now it is with a Matador engine that needs rework and a original 4 speed gearbox. I am planning to upgrade the engine from the matador to isuzu G1 and hm classic 5 speed gearbox. You are right as you said the engine rates are in the region of 60000k in coimbatore. As you said in some earlier posts that they might be cheaper in chennai than in coimbatore, if you have any contacts for this can you suggest them? Is the imported isuzu 5 speed gearbox available nowadays too? Again if so please do suggest me any contacts you might have.

Right now the cars rear ride is very very stiff. Only under heavy load does the suspension work. I think the previous owner might have stiffened the suspension for use as a taxi. Does the original suspension setup of the latest ambassador with coil springs up front and leaf sprung rears have the cushy ride? I really want to restore its cushy ride because that is what everyone loves the amby for. comfortable travel over Indian roads.

I am planning on upgrading the tyres to 205/70 R15 or 235/75 R15. Do you think these tyres will fit in?

I am planning to upgrade to the booster disc brake set-up from the all drum brake set-up. Does this work require heavy alterations?

I guess there is a lot for amby lovers to learn from you. Cheers!
Old 19th July 2011, 17:35   #27
BHPian

Hi,
Nice to see a great interest from your side.Have you planned any budget before starting this project.

Apart from this there were some legal issues like,endorse to Isuzu will not be given to old cars.In FC time there will be a problem.

If you are putting Matador engine,its not an issue,but if you fit Isuzu then you want to drive in your own risk..

Can you reply with your idea whether you are going for the changes or getting a Isuzu fitted amby itself.

All the other modifications can be done.What about AC....And also the tyre specifications are too high which will make the mileage to drop.

If it possible can you update your car snaps...

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 19th July 2011 at 17:41.
Old 19th July 2011, 19:57   #28
BHPian

I feel great everytime I read this thread, there is interest in the grand old Amby with some folks like us.
Old 20th July 2011, 10:48   #29
BHPian

@musicmanaman : Yes,and there were so many people in and around coimbatore.I have seen many Amby owners aged more than 45 and still they are owning an Amby in good condition.

Weekly once my uncle will wash his car.I will have so much interest on seeing that.Because his way of cleaning is very different.Even small dust area will not escape from his eyes.
Old 20th July 2011, 14:47   #30
BHPian

To all Amby Fans check this link

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...mentary/8618/1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks