Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:06   #31
BHPian

re: Ford Figo TDCi Titanium Nine months and 70,000 Kms of falling in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Well BullBoy, Figo has weak head lamps, this is accepted fact by all Figo Owners. 100/130 is going to cause lot of heat, I concur with you. It is necessary to Upgrade the bulbs, then which bulbs you suggest and why ?

Have you upgrade your Bulbs ? Which make and what is the outcome. Is it solving poor night visibility problem ?
@Whitelion
I too found that Figo had weaker headlamps. so i bought myself the Philip Bluevision (the light is not blue though; off white or creamish white) from Ford Showroom. I also changed the fog lamp bulbs as well. Now I can safely say that the illumination is better than stock lamps and adequate for night driving.

I also had a chat with skyline GTR during the tbhp meet here in kochi and he says he had opted for OSRAM night breaker and they are no good.

Will check the bill and let you know the costs of the bulbs. i think it is 600 or so per bulb. They can be purchased individually (except for the parking bulbs (which are blue in color and comes as a pair)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Well yes and downgraded. Same make Philips Rally. The heat melted my ikon's Dome. You can see the picture here .I'm sure that Figo will also have the same quality domes, hence i Warned.Best bet would be to go for auxiliary lighting. Now I'm in a fix as i'm unable use my car for long night drives.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-here-344.html

Sorry to hear about your headlamps bullboy. I had the same experience with my old Fiesta. First there was bright light which gradually reduced and then it became like stocks and then progressively less effective. Issue was that the reflectors blackened. Then we had to changes the whole lamp.
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:21   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Be prepared to fry your headlight domes.I dont think Figo will be able to cop up with the heat.
You have put me quite un comfortably on top of a porcupine now! I was actually pretty happy with the new bright illumination the freshly fitted lamps were giving me. However, after going through the thread which you had linked and going through your harrowing experiences, i'm contemplating bringing it back to where it earlier was. Or better still, go the figo_mba way by buying another kit from the Ford showroom. Better safe than be sorry. Thanks a lot though for fore warning me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Well BullBoy, Figo has weak head lamps, this is accepted fact by all Figo Owners. 100/130 is going to cause lot of heat, I concur with you. It is necessary to Upgrade the bulbs, then which bulbs you suggest and why?
whitelion, in case you are considering upgrading, and you reach a decision after your research, kindly update in the forum so that people can be aware (includes me too). As you have rightly brought out, stock headlamps of Figo is not something which you can live with for long
Old 27th June 2011, 16:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Or better still, go the figo_mba way by buying another kit from the Ford showroom. Better safe than be sorry. Thanks a lot though for fore warning me
You can try the 90/100w and check frequently on the dome ,at your risk. If there is any signs of melt or discoloration you can revert to OEM.My mistake was that i didn't observe the lights after some initial days, also at that time i wasn't driving too much at night max 1 hr or so . The damage might have caused because of continuous 4-6 hrs of usage.
Old 19th September 2011, 10:59   #34
BHPian

Hello everyone. My dad wants to buy a hatchback. Currently owns a Ford Ikon but now wants a smaller car, not too small though. He had fixed the Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance petrol as his next but I am dissuading him due to the ever rising petrol costs. Was thinking about the Figo Titanium Diesel when I came across this thread. Very happy to read the positive reviews.
Just want to get some answers though :
1) Dad's monthly running is about 1000 Kms with 2 highway trips to our factory 150Kms away. The roads are generally good but there are potholes too of course and really bad at some places. How is the car placed, will it touch bottom too many times?
2) Having driven the powerful 1.6 Ikon all these years, will my dad find the Figo to be a good highway car? Power is one of the reason he wanted to buy a 1.6 Fabia.
3) He is 6 feet and I am 2 inches taller. I test drove the Vento/Polo but found the seating very uncomfortable. Is the Figo good in this respect? According to the review, it seems to be.
4) He would be driving at night on highway so the poor headlamps are a concern, can it be rectified?

Finally this is the price I got from S.C.Ford in Mumbai:
Ex-Showroom : 584,528
Insurance : 21327
Ext. warranty : 3550
Std. accessories (Which?) : 1800
Depot : 2000
OTR : 660,372

Are there discounts available?
Old 20th September 2011, 11:50   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Hello... My dad wants to buy a hatchback. Currently owns a Ford Ikon but now wants a smaller car, not too small though. He had fixed the Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance petrol as his next but I am dissuading him due to the ever rising petrol costs. Was thinking about the Figo Titanium Diesel when I came across this thread. Very happy to read the positive reviews.

Figo is quite a nice option. However, your dad's present choice of a skoda car, in my perdsonal opinion, i wouldnt fancy much. If you go through the skoda threads within the community itself, you'll get the answer to it. The A.S.S of Skoda is not the best or even comparable to some standards in the country.

1) Dad's monthly running is about 1000 Kms with 2 highway trips to our factory 150Kms away. The roads are generally good but there are potholes too of course and really bad at some places. How is the car placed, will it touch bottom too many times?

I am of the opinion that you should not buy a car in today's scenario looking at the kms you'll clock to equate to the extra initial expense of the diesel engine. The diesel engines of today are very much refined and can deliver quite a powerful performance (definitely a shade lower than petrol, but only a shade). I for one, bought the diesel engine because of its performance and not for the amount of kms i will clock.

As far as touching the bottom is concerned, it definitely is a problem with the Figo. However, it is not that great a deterrent if you drive sedately over humps, crossing it diagonally. Potholes can be safely negotiated as any other car. The problem comes on high speed breaker humps

2) Having driven the powerful 1.6 Ikon all these years, will my dad find the Figo to be a good highway car? Power is one of the reason he wanted to buy a 1.6 Fabia.

You can't ever compare a 1.4 diesel to a 1.6 petrol of Ikon. Ikon will stand way ahead. Not ewithstanding, like i had mentioned earlier, 1.4 diesel of Figo is also quite a performer

3) He is 6 feet and I am 2 inches taller. I test drove the Vento/Polo but found the seating very uncomfortable. Is the Figo good in this respect? According to the review, it seems to be.

Height wise, legroom wise, Figo is not a problem. But, if it is primarily for your dad, you might want to consider the fact that the seats are positioned low and ingress and egress might be a concern for elderly people.

Another car which is worth consideration, if you are not bound by cost limitation is i 20. It is as spacious, the best diesel engine, performance wise also the car has won accolades. The i20 also does not have problems of ground clearance and low seats.

4) He would be driving at night on highway so the poor headlamps are a concern, can it be rectified?

Yeah, the headlamps can be changed in the showroom itself without voiding the warranty. I would suggest 90/100 W

Finally this is the price I got from S.C.Ford in Mumbai:
Ex-Showroom : 584,528
Insurance : 21327
Ext. warranty : 3550
Std. accessories (Which?) : 1800
Depot : 2000
OTR : 660,372

I cannot comment anything about the current pricing. I bought it a year back. The car has been serving me supreme and has clocked 29000 kms till date. Will be taking her to the showroom for 30,000 km servicing by this weekend and will update the thread then.

Had minor glitches here and there, but off late, nothing at all. Running smooth and fine
I have replied to your queries within the quote and highlighted it in bold
Old 20th September 2011, 13:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon

I have replied to your queries within the quote and highlighted it in bold
Thank you for the detailed reply, appreciate it. We are also now looking at the Punto and final decision will be after TD of both cars.
Really getting lot of good advice from T-BHP
Old 21st September 2011, 06:53   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed reply, appreciate it. We are also now looking at the Punto and final decision will be after TD of both cars.
Since both you and your dad are both six footers, punto might give you some problem. spec wise, the space would be fine. But in practicality, the pedals of the punto are pushed well forward, thereby forcing you to push the driver's seat well aft, eating into the rear leg room. If not for this, punto would have been in serious contention in my considerations too. The new 90bhp diesel is a wonder performer. However, the A.S.S has nothing great to write home about
Old 21st September 2011, 07:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Since both you and your dad are both six footers, punto might give you some problem. spec wise, the space would be fine. But in practicality, the pedals of the punto are pushed well forward, thereby forcing you to push the driver's seat well aft, eating into the rear leg room. If not for this, punto would have been in serious contention in my considerations too. The new 90bhp diesel is a wonder performer. However, the A.S.S has nothing great to write home about
I'm 6'3" and used to drive a Punto. If I'm in the driver seat sitting in my most comfortable position, then there will be almost no leg space for the person sitting behind, I guess you would be able to check this out in the showroom.

Yeah the Pedals have a bit more travel and are closely placed, but it's just a matter of getting used to. Figo is too short a car for anyone over 6 feet, is what I felt. Probably, you can check out Vista, provided you will be able to live with compromised quality.
Old 21st September 2011, 08:41   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Probably, you can check out Vista, provided you will be able to live with compromised quality.
Vista is the most spacious hatchback. The package is also one aimed at value for money. No company gives as much features for the amount you shell ot. But the taxi badge and the not so great build quality mostly weighs the vista down. A.S.S also doesn't compliment anything to the efforts of Tata to thump its quality background.
Leg room of Punto and quality of vista were the reasons why i had initially suggested i20, provided he had the budget to push through. I20 cRDI, I felt, is the most complete package and very well rounded. Unfortunately that comes for a price too
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 11:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I'm 6'3" and used to drive a Punto. If I'm in the driver seat sitting in my most comfortable position, then there will be almost no leg space for the person sitting behind, I guess you would be able to check this out in the showroom.

Yeah the Pedals have a bit more travel and are closely placed, but it's just a matter of getting used to. Figo is too short a car for anyone over 6 feet, is what I felt. Probably, you can check out Vista, provided you will be able to live with compromised quality.
My father has test driven and liked the Punto and we are going for it. In case I want to use with my family there may not be much problem as my kids are still just 8 and 4 and can manage. In any case, car is primarily going to be used by dad with max 3 passengers 90% of the time so should be ok.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Vista is the most spacious hatchback. The package is also one aimed at value for money. No company gives as much features for the amount you shell ot. But the taxi badge and the not so great build quality mostly weighs the vista down. A.S.S also doesn't compliment anything to the efforts of Tata to thump its quality background.
Leg room of Punto and quality of vista were the reasons why i had initially suggested i20, provided he had the budget to push through. I20 cRDI, I felt, is the most complete package and very well rounded. Unfortunately that comes for a price too
I have seen my friend's Vista and liked it. Only issue for me is boot is small. For my dad, Tata is a big no-no. Tried to convince him but not possible.
I also like to i20 but budget increasing too much. Also, for that budget, may probably have been able to convince my dad for Manza.

I also know Tata and Fiat are the same dealers and service station. But I found a huge difference in the sales reps. Twice in the recent past I have asked for Manza TD at the same dealer but there was always some excuse of car not available and did not get the TD. The Fiat reps were prompt once I called twice.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone. My dad wants to buy a hatchback. Currently owns a Ford Ikon but now wants a smaller car, not too small though. He had fixed the Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance petrol as his next but I am dissuading him due to the ever rising petrol costs. Was thinking about the Figo Titanium Diesel when I came across this thread. Very happy to read the positive reviews.

I was told that diesel variant has some waiting period hence there might not be much on offer compared to petrol variants.

Looking at the current petrol prices it definitely makes sense to go diesel. Potholes are not a problem, however it there are tall speed breakers and the vehicle is fully loaded 4-5 people then there is a chance of belly scraping , else it should not be a problem. Sedate driving is a key.
Figo is a very good handling car with decent performance but you cannot compare it with a 1.6 petrol.

Best is to take a test drive.

Higher rated bulbs are available , just change them

I was told that diesel variant has some waiting period hence there might not be much on offer compared to petrol variants.
Old 21st September 2011, 12:12   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My father has test driven and liked the Punto and we are going for it. In case I want to use with my family there may not be much problem as my kids are still just 8 and 4 and can manage. In any case, car is primarily going to be used by dad with max 3 passengers 90% of the time so should be ok.
congrats. Punto is a very nice car. Hope you are going for the 90 bhp diesel version. I know its a bit pricey, but i would say its worth all the money of the premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Looking at the current petrol prices it definitely makes sense to go diesel. Potholes are not a problem, however it there are tall speed breakers and the vehicle is fully loaded 4-5 people then there is a chance of belly scraping , else it should not be a problem. Sedate driving is a key.
Figo is a very good handling car with decent performance but you cannot compare it with a 1.6 petrol.

Best is to take a test drive.

Higher rated bulbs are available , just change them

Your observations and experiences tallies with mine too. If you check back a few posts, that was what i also had suggested him.
Old 21st September 2011, 12:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
congrats. Punto is a very nice car. Hope you are going for the 90 bhp diesel version. I know its a bit pricey, but i would say its worth all the money of the premium.
Actually we are going for the 1.3 Emotion Pack, hope that won't be a bad choice either. Already negotiating for dealer for this.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:36   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

35,000 Kms update

Just completed 35000 Kms and i thought that i'll update the thread for the benefit of those who are in the hunt and research for a car to suit their tastes.

The car has held me in good stead for the past 16 and half months of my ownership. It does have the following problems which are already known:
1) ground clearance
2) weak headlamps
3) low seating position
4) involuntary engine shut down on sudden decelerations

for ground clearance - I intend to upgrade to 185/ 65 tires at 40000 kms and get a marginal increase in clearance. The tires as of now are in good enough shape for the noble service it has rendered.

Headlamps - I have upgraded to 130/ 100 at the cost of voiding warranty. I felt it is worth the risk as safety at night was of paramount importance to me. There were reports of the dome getting fried due to over heating and all, but i haven't faced any yet. However, an upgrade to 100/ 90 should suffice.

Involuntary shut down- It is a long story and a strong point of discussion with every figo forum and i have also been prey to it. However, i havent been subjected to it since my 30k servicing. What i have noticed is that it generally happens only during situations of panic/ sudden braking/ deceleration.

Other than these few forgiveable niggles, the car has been in supreme condition and has served me through the best and worst of weather and terrain. The A.S.S have been good till date and have always been proactive. You can give and take something here and there. But on a whole I am quite happy with Ford A.S.S through out. (I have visited Ford at Goa, Cochin, Trivandrum, Kollam and Hyderabad). The maintenance cost of the vehicle have been just minimal.

Fuel efficiency- 20-21 Kmpl on highways
16-17 on city drives

Most Useful features

1) Bluetooth functionality in music system- its simple and works like a breeze
2) rear wash wipers- very effective and useful, especially on a hatchback running on predominantly rainy areas. Like the swift, the tires tend to lick up all the slush and plants it right atop the rear windshield
3) OEM ICE- Is best in class and does not require a replacement or upgrade.
4) Airconditioning- Again best in class.

Will soon be adding alloys to my machine and shall upload the snaps then.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks