Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2016, 23:44   #796
mxh
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Meanwhile, I had casually checked the engine oil level last week and found the level lower than the required mark on the dipstick. Bought a 1L bottle of Castrol Edge 5W-40 from Amazon but the dealer shipped it through Professional Courier which did not reach me before the trip. So ended up buying a can of Shell Helix Ultra from the local vendor and the engine gulped *wait for it* 950 ml! Initiated a return for the other bottle in the meantime.
Did you miss any scheduled oil change or go beyond the service interval's number of km? It's normal for all engines to consume oil but if you're within these limits it shouldn't go below the minimum mark in any scenario. Maybe you should investigate this further. Also, did you top up with a different oil than the one that was in the car?
Old 30th June 2016, 02:17   #797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 75k service is also coming up; the odo currently stands at 73350 km. I am in two minds as to where to give her for servicing. Palakkad doesn't have a service center; there's only a satellite delivery outlet of VW Thrissur. The three service centers here in Chennai have poor feedback going by this thread. I just need to do the basic 75k service + front brake pads' replacement without any unwanted bits added. I was also thinking of Ramani VW, Coimbatore when I drive home sometime during August. Still have some time; will take a call.
I think that Sundaram, Whites Road, will be fine. You just have to make sure they don't sell you anything you don't want. Check the opt-outs as well as the opt-ins!

Although I have probably spent more money there than I strictly needed, I have had no real problems with them. Actually, I don't their detailing work (if you let them sell it to you) is as good as other places, but I don't have any actual-service complaints --- and they did an excellent job denting and painting a door on my old, blue Polo. They have even done a couple of dab-of-paint touch-ups for me, for free, that looked pretty good from a distance.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 02:45   #798
Senior - BHPian

Do you check the oil level on a cold engine or on a engine which has been upto its operating temperature, then switch it off and check after 10 mins or so. I think VW recommends the operating temp method.

I have been checking the level on a cold engine, the germans have different ways of doing stuff so just curious. Was fiddling with my 3's iDrive and i selected measure oil level, it can only be done when engine is upto operating temp and the the revvs are increased to around 1000 for 20-25 seconds, the car shows the level after that.
Old 30th June 2016, 05:57   #799
BHPian

Quote:

Meanwhile, I had casually checked the engine oil level last week and found the level lower than the required mark on the dipstick. Bought a 1L bottle of Castrol Edge 5W-40 from Amazon but the dealer shipped it through Professional Courier which did not reach me before the trip. So ended up buying a can of Shell Helix Ultra from the local vendor and the engine gulped *wait for it* 950 ml! Initiated a return for the other bottle in the meantime.

Attachment 1522612

Attachment 1522613

The 75k service is also coming up; the odo currently stands at 73350 km. I am in two minds as to where to give her for servicing. Palakkad doesn't have a service center; there's only a satellite delivery outlet of VW Thrissur. The three service centers here in Chennai have poor feedback going by this thread. I just need to do the basic 75k service + front brake pads' replacement without any unwanted bits added. I was also thinking of Ramani VW, Coimbatore when I drive home sometime during August. Still have some time; will take a call.
Hello Ganesh,

Once when I came home for a vacation, had a casual check at the engine oil level. It was around 10-11k KMs since the previous service and the oil level was pretty low. I topped up close to 700ml back then. What I have observed is that, this 1.6TDI also drinks oil, even if not at the rate of 1.8TSIs and the levels won't be maintained till the recommended 15,000km interval. Perhaps the driving patterns might also be playing a role, our car chalks up kms mostly on the Chennai-Calicut-Chennai trips.

The fact that these 1.6TDIs don't have that amber low oil level/low oil pressure indicator is a big let down. It is there in the 1.8TSI and in the international variants of the 1.6TDI, it has been chucked for the Indian versions.

I am not sure if it really matters, but both Castrol Edge Titanium 5W40 and Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 confirm only to 'VW 505.00' standards. The recommended grade for the 1.6TDI is 'VW 505.01'. Currently only the Castrol Magnatec Professional OE supplied to VW/Skoda ASCs confirm to VW 505.01, among 5W40 grade oils.

Are you still having trouble sourcing extra bottle of oil from the ASCs themselves?

-- Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 06:14   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been using Mobil 1 for the last 10K kilometers and I must say it's holding up pretty well, level wise. Perhaps you could give it a try.

From my previous experience with OEM Castrol Magnatec, the level does go down anyway. Around 500ml or so by the time the service is due.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 10:06   #801
BHPian

Hi Gannu Bhai,

I was travelling from my home town to chandigarh and after driving for 2 hrs the MFD was displaying fuel economy numbers but suddenly what happened was the MFD showed the engine temp/ oil temp as 90 degrees. It automatically went away and showed the fuel economy after 20 seconds. I thought might be my hand had touched the multifunction keys. But that was not the case and after around 10 minutes the incident was repeated. I went to the vw workshop and told them the issue they checked the coolant and said it is fine. Now this has happened for few times. I am bit confused but I think there seems to be a problem with the less engine oil.

help me with the situation.
Old 30th June 2016, 12:34   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gannu,
I was looking for left and right outer RVM. Please share if you have it.
Old 1st July 2016, 07:56   #803
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Did you miss any scheduled oil change or go beyond the service interval's number of km?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Also, did you top up with a different oil than the one that was in the car?
Yes. The service center uses Castrol Magnatec OE. This isn't available in the market for purchase and is only sold by Castrol to the Skoda and VW dealerships directly. I had used Castrol Edge before and this time it was Shell. I've used the same grade (5W-40) though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that Sundaram, Whites Road, will be fine.

Although I have probably spent more money there than I strictly needed, I have had no real problems with them. I don't have any actual-service complaints --- and they did an excellent job denting and painting a door on my old, blue Polo. They have even done a couple of dab-of-paint touch-ups for me, for free, that looked pretty good from a distance.
Thanks for the feedback Nick! I think I'll try Sundaram Motors this time then. I shall give them a ring a couple of weeks before and fix an appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Do you check the oil level on a cold engine or on a engine which has been upto its operating temperature, then switch it off and check after 10 mins or so. I think VW recommends the operating temp method.
Warm engine. I start the engine and let it idle for say, 5-7 minutes, shut it down and then check the oil levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
The fact that these 1.6TDIs don't have that amber low oil level/low oil pressure indicator is a big let down. It is there in the 1.8TSI and in the international variants of the 1.6TDI, it has been chucked for the Indian versions.
Avi, I think you're confusing it with the oil temperature sensor. The Jetta, Passat and Superbs come with the oil temp. sensor on the sump. The sumps shipped from the factory has no hole unfortunately and is blanked out whereas the replacements sumps come with this hole (since the same sump goes into the Jetta 2.0 TDI and the Polo 1.6 TDI as well; maybe even the newer 1.5 TDI). I had checked it at the previous service centre before:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-sump.jpg

This is the sensor:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-19979.jpg

I think the car does come with a low oil level sensor but no one has reported the warning light coming up any time!

Quote:
Are you still having trouble sourcing extra bottle of oil from the ASCs themselves?
I didn't when I was at Navsari but now that I've shifted to Chennai, I don't think the service center here would be eager to give me a spare bottle. But never mind that, I am keeping a spare bottle from another maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I've been using Mobil 1 for the last 10K kilometers and I must say it's holding up pretty well, level wise. Perhaps you could give it a try.
After the extended warranty expires i.e.

Definitely planning to give Mobil (Delvac?) a shot after that. I've got a lot of good feedback from Mobil users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
I was travelling from my home town to chandigarh and after driving for 2 hrs the MFD was displaying fuel economy numbers but suddenly what happened was the MFD showed the engine temp/ oil temp as 90 degrees.
That is the coolant temperature not the engine/oil temperature. And 90 'C is the normal temperature reported when the engine is operating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhul View Post
Hi Gannu,
I was looking for left and right outer RVM. Please share if you have it.
You just have to pry open the mirror using a prying tool. There is no other dismantling involved.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 19:41   #804
BHPian

Hi Gannu. I had an issue with my vehicle 3 weeks back. The diesel pre glow warning lamp started blinking while I was driving and gradually turbo stopped kicking in. I stopped the vehicle safely and it was towed to service centre. They couldn't rectify the issue and after few days they said it is due to faulty ECM and asked for a replacement. ECM came after 2 weeks and it was replaced under warranty. Yesterday when I went to take the test drive, there was a problem with clutch release. The vehicle starts moving only when the clutch was released more than75-80%. I raised this and another guy drove the vehicle and he said it is normal. He was behaving so arrogantly that later on he started arguing with me that I can't do anything to him. He said he has removed the vehicle clutch and I can't prove it. But when another technician drove the car, he confirmed that there is an issue with clutch and it needs bleeding. But I'm wondering how the clutch malfunctioned after changing the ECM. Any pointers on this? Anyways I'd raised this issue to service manager and he will be personally inspecting the vehicle tomorrow. But no one has any clue about the cause.
nidhinsarath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 20:22   #805
BHPian

Low oil level (yellow) vs low oil temperature (red) warnings

Quote:

Avi, I think you're confusing it with the oil temperature sensor. The Jetta, Passat and Superbs come with the oil temp. sensor on the sump. The sumps shipped from the factory has no hole unfortunately and is blanked out whereas the replacements sumps come with this hole (since the same sump goes into the Jetta 2.0 TDI and the Polo 1.6 TDI as well; maybe even the newer 1.5 TDI). I had checked it at the previous service centre before:

Attachment 1522899

This is the sensor:

Attachment 1522901

I think the car does come with a low oil level sensor but no one has reported the warning light coming up any time!
Hello Ganesh,

I am not referring to the oil temperature readouts. I know that cars with MFD (like our Superb 3.6) has the oil temperature read out. Our Laura vRS doesn't have MFD and no oil temperature readout - however whether the sensor is there or blanked out, I am not sure. I am also not sure whether sensor does double duties of providing the oil level as well as oil temperature.

Some etka digging shows the sensor in the picture you posted (and generally at that position) is indeed called the 'oil level sensor'. If it is blanked out, that means no 'low oil level' warnings right?

I am referring to the yellow low oil level warning light whose description is given the picture below. The snippet is from the owner's manual of the Superb. The same is explained in the owner's manual for Laura also. In our Laura (1.8TSI), I have had that low oil level come up multiple times. When I top up the oil or open/close the bonnet, the warning light disappears. The other symbol in red corresponds to a low oil pressure or of course, a severe drop in oil levels.

Oil Pressure (red) and Oil level low (yellow) warnings)
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-superb_engineoil_level_pressure-warnings.jpg

What I mean to say was that the yellow oil level low warning is not there in the Polo 1.6TDI. It didn't come up during the instance where I had to top up 700ml+ oil nor as in your case, around 950ml. So shouldn't it be the case that an oil level low warning is not there for our Indian Spec 1.6TDIs?

This doubt was further affirmed when I compared the owner's manuals of Polo 1.6TDI which we got in Sep-2013, and that of the Vento which we procured in Jan-2014. While the Polo had the international variant's owners manual, the Vento came with what looked like the Indian spec car's owners manual (lesser pages, some sections and engine options removed etc). The international version of Polo's owner's manual makes a mention of this yellow oil level warning. The Indian owner's manual version which we got for the Vento however doesn't make a mention of the yellow low oil level warning, only about the red one.

However in the 1.8TSI I have had this yellow low oil level warning come up twice. I topped up close to 900ml oil once, some 600ml another time. Both came up during fast highway drives (trips averaging more than 700kms a day). Another time, I also had the yellow oil level flashing issue for which the sensor was replaced under EW.

So are you sure that there is this same yellow oil level warning for our Polo 1.6TDIs also? It should have come when you had to top up 950ml of oil right? As I understand only the red oil pressure low warning comes up, which is a case where you have no choice but to stop and switch off immediately, unlike the 'yellow' warning.

-- Avinash

Last edited by avinash_clt : 1st July 2016 at 20:49. Reason: Edited the title / added information
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 15:05   #806
BHPian

Re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
Lots of things happened over the last 2 months. Posting some updates:
7. Auto-headlight sensor module and the Golf Mk7’s headlight switch:

The build quality of the switch is good - no part feels flimsy or built loose. The sensor (an LDR - light dependent resistor, basically) is located above the dashboard at the bottom of the driver side A-pillar.

Part number: 5ND 941 431 E XSH (for the headlight switch)
Ganesh,

Mr. Tank Tao is saying the switch might not fit and can cause issues later, is that true ?

Tao : You want golf mk7 switch right? and you install it on polo?
We have customer who bought golf mk7 switch and installed on polo,
but acutally it does not fit

did you have any issues with this so far ?
is this the link you purchased it from ?
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...211020780.html

thanks
kishore

Last edited by ampere : 10th July 2016 at 12:58. Reason: Quote tag fixed
kishore1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 12:41   #807
Team-BHP Support

We did another round of Chennai - Palakkad - Chennai, 1120 km trip last weekend. Left Chennai on Saturday evening at 9:15 PM and reached home at 5:15 AM. Departed Palakkad at 3:15 PM the same day with the missus and some household goods, and reached Chennai at 11:30 PM. The toll fare for a two-way journey is Rs. 988 (11 tolls) and we had taken return journey toll slips. The first toll at Sriperumbudur crossed the 24 hour time limit, the system refused to take the previous pass and we had to pay an additional one for this. Both the missus and I, loved the journey back!

This beast gave us company from Erode to Dharmapuri:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-cgt1.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-cgt2.jpg

The odo was at 74590 km after the round trip and the service reminder countdown showed 100 km left:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-100km-serv-countdown.jpg

So we dropped her for the 75k/5th service last Thursday.

75k km/5th service update:
  • Where: Sundaram Motors, Whites Road, Chennai (Google Maps)

• How much: Rs. 17402

• Work done: 75k service, front brake pads replacement, wheel balancing and alignment, waxing and polishing from the attached 3M car care centre and some unwanted bits not asked for.

• Time taken: Two working days. Dropped the car on 7th morn, 9 AM and picked up on 8th, 5 PM.

• Service advisor: Mr. Venkatesh

• Invoice:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-invoice1.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-invoice2.jpg

- Commitment to timelines.
    - Work done to my satisfaction.
    - Service advisor was extremely polite, courteous and well behaved.
    - Accepts card based payments.

• Dislikes:

- Location of the service center. 19 km from home/13 km from workplace.
    - Unwanted bits added to the work/bill despite my multiple requests.

• Overall rating: 8/10

I’ll be honest - I was a bit nervous before dropping the car at the service center. Considering this was a new service center, new service advisor(s) and service technicians and the place was located far from my home/workplace. Having had the privilege of working with the Navsari VW service center which ranks right up there, I didn’t really know how to handle the new place and folks. That’s when DBHPian Thad E Ginathom recommended Sundaram Motors VW and he seemed to have had a good experience with this service center. So we decided to go ahead with them. We called them up and fixed an appointment for the next day i.e. 7th morn, between 8:30 - 9 AM and we reached there promptly at 8:45 AM. We were attended to around 9:10 AM by one Mr. Venkatesh, one of the many service advisors there. He took the job card and we did a round of the car. He was quick to notice some of the modifications like the projector headlights, steering wheel etc. and I promptly told him, I did all of those all by myself and it isn’t a shoddy work done from an aftermarket garage. He seemed a bit flummoxed initially!

The SA said that since the car has run 75k, they may have to inspect the tie rods, bushes and the suspension parts and replace them proactively. I strictly told him NOT to fiddle with any of the mechanical bits since the car is running perfectly fine and they only had to replace the front brake pads because they have faded. He said that usually while replacing the brake pads, the rotors are also replaced together. I asked him if this service center does skimming of the rotors on a lathe but he denied saying that it isn’t recommended to (!) and they don’t do it. I asked him to just replace the front pads. Also opted to get the waxing and polishing done since I wasn’t finding the time to drop the car at the 3M car care outlets due to the hectic work schedule. They seemed to have a proper closed area to do this work. We were told that they would deliver the car the next day evening.

I got a message the next day indicating the car was ready and I could come around 5 PM. We confirmed it over the phone, left the workplace around 4 PM and reached there around 4:45 PM. The whole place was crowded and we were waiting at the lounge. The service advisor was nowhere to be seen. After 15 minutes, he showed up and apologized for the delay leading us to the car. And there she was cleaned, waxed and polished. I was happy and breathed a sigh of relief. But the interiors were polished using their glossy cleaner and every plastic trim was shining. I had specifically asked the SA not to touch the interiors as I had painstakingly cleaned it a week back. All the efforts went down the drain. Popped up the hood and noticed the engine bay was cleaned. The negative terminal of the battery had some blue’ish appearance. Looks like they had applied the corrosion inhibitor spray (I didn’t ask for this) which meant this was going to show up in the bill. *sigh*

Replaced brake pads:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-brakepad_fl.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-brakepad_fr.jpg

Ground terminal with the corrosion inhibitor spray applied (didn't ask for this):

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-battery-terminal-spray.jpg

Glossy dashboard and interiors (didn't ask for this either):

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-glossy-dash.jpg

It was getting late and we returned to his desk to sign the papers and complete the payment formalities. He was curious and was asking me how I swapped the BCM and instrument cluster, from where did I source the steering wheel, how I had access to a VAS system to erase the errors, how did I mount the Jetta’s auto-dimming mirror etc. I briefly told him how we carried out these modifications and he seemed impressed. He said that the mechanicals were mostly in top shape except the front shockers which were showing signs of replacement, the clutch assembly (strange; there were absolutely no issues with the clutch nor was it slipping) and the wipers. This has also been printed on the invoice. After noticing the driver side floor mat in bad shape, he gave us an OEM rubber mat for free but I politely declined it; I would soon be replacing it with another noodle mat. Paid the bill for Rs. 17402 using my credit card, shook hands and we left.

I had noticed that the wheel balancing and alignment was charged Rs. 1396.7 – this could have been cheaper at a tyre outlet. Rs. 320.42 was charged for the unwanted bits – I had requested the service advisor multiple times, not to add these but some have crept in invariably. But never mind, I’ll convey the message to him. He seemed like a nice guy. So that completes the 75k service episode.

They did a decent job with the waxing and polishing bits:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-car1.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-car2.jpg

Maintaining a black car is a pain! She was covered with dust all around as we drove back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
Any pointers on this? Anyways I'd raised this issue to service manager and he will be personally inspecting the vehicle tomorrow. But no one has any clue about the cause.
Sorry to hear about ECU replacement Nidhin. I did read your recent thread on the issues you had faced with the service center. A faulty ECU is a very rare phenomenon IMO. It would have been good to get the VCDS Autoscan report of the car before getting it towed - mentions the error codes accurately and easier to diagnose as well.

As for the arrogant behaviour of the service personnel, you should probably write to VW's customer support and let them handle it for you. Previously, you had the engine oil issue as well.

As for the clutch issue, can you get the car driven by another Polo/Vento TDI owner (I'm sure you'll have one in your friends circle) to confirm if it does have an issue? Could be a placebo effect but can't rule it out completely.

Quote:
I am also not sure whether sensor does double duties of providing the oil level as well as oil temperature.
Guess what Avi, it does!

I read up further on the level sensor. Turns out, it is the same temperature sensor that functions as a level sensor as well. Which means the current gen. Polo/Vento does not have a level sensor at all?

Check out this page from Hella regarding the oil level sensor (turned up in one of the Google searches for the part number).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hella
The oil level sensor continuously measures the engine oil level in the static and dynamic range to monitor the oil level. The sensor is designed for vertical installation from below in the bottom of the oil pan. The housing contains a filling level sensor, a temperature sensor and sensor electronics.
In the Polo's instrument cluster's 32 pin connector, the pin/wire corresponding to the oil level indicator isn't present in the car!

Pin out:

Name:  Pinout.png
Views: 11166
Size:  340.8 KB

Connector:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-clusterpin11.png

Quote:
Some etka digging shows the sensor in the picture you posted (and generally at that position) is indeed called the 'oil level sensor'. If it is blanked out, that means no 'low oil level' warnings right?
Correct.

Quote:
In our Laura (1.8TSI), I have had that low oil level come up multiple times. When I top up the oil or open/close the bonnet, the warning light disappears.
Some Golf owners also confirmed this fact (warning symbol going out when the bonnet is closed).

I think I should get this sensor sometime and get it installed. But the issue is the sensor costs about 100 USD and requires a new engine oil pan which costs about 14k. Not sure if it is really worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
did you have any issues with this so far ?
Absolutely none. It has been working perfectly fine from day one. Please confirm that the part number of the switch matches that I've posted before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
is this the link you purchased it from ?
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...211020780.html
No this is the older model with a larger module. The newer module is smaller in size. Some links of the newer one - 1, 2, & 3. Just so we are clear, these aren't referral links!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th July 2016 at 16:48.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 14:32   #808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But the interiors were polished using their glossy cleaner and every plastic trim was shining.
They did this to mine as well. I was very annoyed, and the feedback-on-the-phone lady told me they would re-do the cleaning. I even got a voucher in the post --- but I never got the round tuit, so didn't bother.

I don't understand how anybody can gloss a dashboard. The resultant reflections are a major irritant, and that sort of irritant is actually dangerous when driving. Anyway, something had to be done from day 1, and I attacked the gloss with Optimum Power Clean, which removed most of it. They also got waxy stuff on the bottom edge of the windscreen, which, due to the angles, is very hard to remove.

They seem to be unable to resist polishing the car anyway, so if you don't ask for it you get it free!

Last time I asked for the full package on the exterior, they did not remove the brown grunge from the chrome grill. They said that was age, and I said that if that was true, they should replace it under warranty. I removed an inch or so, to prove it could be done, and returned the car, saying that, yes, I could do it myself, but it was not acceptable to pay for an expensive detailing package and have to. They took the point and repeated the whole package, which was good but unnecessary. They made the grill shine, which is a lot of hard work ...except that they probably have chemicals that disolve that stuff easily, and if they don't, they should have.

I did warn you not to let them do the detailing work! Otherwise I had been quite satisfied with the services and replacement of items under warranty (engine mounts, horn) or subsidised (dashboard air vents). I was very happy with their accident repair/painting, and even with their free quick-touch-up of a couple of small but ugly scratches.

I think it is necessary to put stickers, post-it notes, etc, about the things one does not want. For instance, in the past, I have used a rather expensive (why is this stuff priced like inkjet-printer ink!) Wurth screen washer, and put a sticker over the filler: do not drain or fill. This time I forgot. I had meant to put a do not gloss sticker on the dashboard, but I forgot that too. But I guess they have a set routine with set materials: the option of a matte clean and finish is probably not in their portfolio.

I am waiting for a fresh supply of round tuits to take my car to Car Cares for a proper wash and brushup with proper detailing, in and out. So many jobs to do, so hard to get a round tuit!

The car's previous owner was not satisfied with Khun; Sundaram is only about 10km from me; Abra is very distant, and I dislike sending/receiving the car by their driver. In fact, my wife, this time, had said to Sundaram's driver returning the car, or I would have asked for the unglossing on the spot.

At least we have a choice of three, which is pretty good VW representation. VW and Chennai obviously like each other. True: one sees quite a few on the streets, I wonder what the per-city sales figures look like.

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th July 2016 at 14:34.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 16:34   #809
BHPian

Quote:

Glossy dashboard and interiors:
They don't make the dashboard/interiors glossy when similar job is done at the 3M car care outlets. I believe the same attention to process that you normally see at a standalone 3M car care is not adhered in the 3M services offered through ASCs. Have observed the same with other brands also.

Quote:
Guess what Avi, it does!

I read up further on the level sensor. Turns out, it is the same temperature sensor that functions as a level sensor as well. Which means the current gen. Polo/Vento does not have a level sensor at all?
Yes Ganesh, I also had read up and saw the sensor doing double duties. So we should have been getting the oil temperature read out also had it been a maxidot clutster in our Laura vRS.

The annoying fact is that this very useful sensor (especially seeing how the oil levels drop in these cars) has been deleted by VW for the Indian versions of Polo/Vento. And thus could be the reason that everyone thinks their oil levels are in tact for 15,000km (I don't expect most of the users to be checking the levels periodically).

Quote:
Some Golf owners also confirmed this fact (warning symbol going out when the bonnet is closed).
This behavior is clearly mentioned in the owner's manual. If you open the bonnet, keep it open for more than 30 secs, and later close it without topping up any oil, the light still goes out. It comes back again after 100km if it detects the level is low. The first time I had this light glow in the Laura was when I missed and went over a speed bump at some speed. It was late night and was on my way from Delhi to Ahmedabad, odd 30kms before the destination for the day. I feared the worst thinking I would have hit something below, stopped the car and looked underneath. No leaks, nor scraping signs. Opened the bonnet to check from top, no signs of leaks. In between when I closed the bonnet to make a call to Skoda helpline, the light went off. I didn't go through the manual thoroughly then and hence thought the light had just come out due to that jump over the speed bump. Later after 100kms, while on the Ahmedabad-Vadodara expressway, the light came on again and then I realized this opening bonnet and low oil level warning going away temporarily. It was a Sunday, and somehow got a bottle of the Valvoline equivalent of the recommended oil and topped it up. No problems for the next 2500 kms of the journey. From that day onwards, a bottle of oil is always there in the boot as a backup.

Another time the light came up when the car was parked on an angle at the side of the road. Checked the oil level later at a flat surface and it was within limits, light didn't come up after 100kms, nevertheless topped up to the max level

It is not a very accurate sensor as such like the ones in BMWs, but end of day very useful in the cars which exhibit these oil gulping behaviour.

Quote:
I think I should get this sensor sometime and get it installed. But the issue is the sensor costs about 100 USD and requires a new engine oil pan which costs about 14k. Not sure if it is really worth it.
The sensor is definitely worth it in my opinion. The cost of the oil pain though works against it.

-- Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 19:28   #810
Senior - BHPian

17k seems a bit high for a service no, even if you take the extra 3M stuff into account? Also, looks like there are two oil purchase entries in your bill. Did you buy some extra oil for emergency use later?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks