Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2023, 11:37   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km

At 235,000 km, a major service and preventive replacement of critical parts:

"A car is as reliable as the owner who takes care of it" – Hence, after 9 years and 235,000 km, I continue to take care of it on a regular basis. However, there are important milestones during the ownership where replacement of certain critical components at the right time ensures trouble-free experience and remarkable performance even after clocking higher mileage.

This post is all about details of a major service that my Ertiga VDi underwent during the beginning of this year when the odometer was around 235,000 km. As part of this major service, not only were all the fluids replaced as per prescribed intervals but mechanical and electro-mechanical components were proactively replaced solely due to preventive maintenance and the age of the car, more precisely the number of kilometers that these components lasted.

Following is the list of jobs that were carried out along with components that were replaced:

• Engine oil – Periodic replacement
  • Transmission oil – Periodic replacement
  • Coolant – Periodic replacement
  • Brake fluid – Periodic replacement
  • Caliper pins – Replaced due to wear and tear/noise
  • Stabilizer bar bush – Preventive replacement
  • Stabilizer link rods – Replaced due to wear
  • Timing Chain & associated components – Preventive/Periodic replacement
  • Oil pump – Preventive replacement
  • Water pump – Preventive replacement
  • Alternator belt - Preventive replacement
  • Thermostat - Preventive replacement
  • Gear shifter cable - Preventive replacement
  • Intercooler hoses - Preventive replacement
  • Oil sump cleaning
  • Exhaust cleaning

This service was carried out an FNG (Swastikaa Auto Centre) where I have visited on earlier occasions too. While the person who runs this workshop was associated with a Maruti Suzuki workshop for over 2 decades, there are few staff members present here who have earlier worked on my car when they were employed with MASS. I would like specially mention about mechanic Rakshit here who single-handedly carried out all these tasks listed about starting from 10:30am all the way stretching till 7:00pm very professionally. He was neither in a hurry nor ignored small little things to ensure that the final outcome was precise. While I did stand along with him holding the torch or passing few items as he worked, we did have some very good conversation discussing about the overall health of my car. To execute these tasks in a single day is not an easy one, but he certainly went extra mile.

Since the primary task from this service was replacement of timing chain, a list of parts was shared with Lokesh 2 days in advance and he ensured to arrange everything from the list by sourcing it from nearby MGP Store. Prior to that I placed an order for Engine oil that was delivered home which I carried to the service centre.

Servicing of the brakes:

The car was put on the hoist and wheels removed to check the condition of both the front and rear brakes and also replace the brake fluid and caliper pins. The condition of the stock rotors definitely is noteworthy even at 235,000 km.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-01-rotor-rhs.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-02-rotor-lhs.jpg
The pads were in good shape including the rear brake shoes. The handbrake mechanism was adjusted as I had complained that it had become weak.

Timing chain replacement:

Maruti doesn’t refer to a schedule when the chain has to be replaced. However, ideal timing is between 100,000 – 120,000 km or even earlier. I had first replaced the timing chain around ~115,000. During the same time, along with chain and associated parts, I had also replaced the water pump assembly as preventive maintenance. This time too both these parts (chain and water pump) were replaced. Additionally, I also got the oil pump replaced as the car had already run on the stock pump for 235,000 km and failure of this component due to age can lead to damaging results for the engine.

Parts removal in progress to access the timing chain
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-03-car-hoist.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-03-chain-case-oil-pan-removal.jpg
These are important images just to show the position of the tensioner after driving for 120,000 km and then compare that with the position of the new tensioner along with new chain.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-04-timing-chain-existing.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-05-timing-chain-tensioner-existing.jpg
The timing chain area was cleaned before installing the new chain
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-07-timing-chain-area-cleaned.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-06-timing-chain-removed.jpg
Timing chain and the adjuster were dipped in engine oil to lubricate before they were fitted inside the timing chain case
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-08-timing-chain-lubricate.jpg
Replaced timing chain, guide and adjuster. You can notice the position of the adjuster after replacement:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-09-timing-chain-replaced.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-10-timing-chain-tensioner-new.jpg
Cleaning of the oil sump:
Oil sump was removed with an aim to clean it before fitting in back. The condition of oil sump was absolutely acceptable, thanks to periodic replacement of engine oil. The mechanic didn’t have to spend much labour to clean the sump.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-11-oil-sump-uncleaned.jpg
After cleaning the sump, adhesive was applied along the boundary of the sump before it was fitted back. Note that the oil sump doesn’t get a gasket and hence applying the bonding adhesive correctly and fitted the sump back and ensuring to torque all the mounting bolts is very important to prevent any oil droplets leaking out of the sump.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-12-oil-sump-cleaned.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-13-oil-sump-sealant-1.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-13-oil-sump-sealant.jpg
Replacement of the oil pump:
During the second time replacement of the timing chain, it is important to replace the oil pump as well. In terms of labour, the timing chain case cover is always removed when the chain is replaced and both the oil pump as well as the oil strainer are part of the timing chain case. Hence, I got the oil pump replaced this time.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-18-oil-pump-new.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-18-oil-pump-gasket.jpg
You can notice the oil strainer which is part of the oil pump assembly marked in yellow rectangle.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-18-oil-strainer.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-18-sump-area.jpg
Replacement of the water pump:
A good practice when replacing the timing chain is to also replace the water pump and we have had many discussions around it on various threads in this forum. Hence, the water pump was also replaced during this service.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-18-water-pump-new.jpg
The timing chain case (Oil pump & strainer) fitted back along with new water pump
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-18-oil-pump-water-pump-fitted.jpg
Old water pump and tensioner
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-32-old-parts.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 11:45   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Alternator belt replacement:

I have always been extremely apprehensive about this one part in all my cars. An unnoticed belt that has undergone wear and tear can lead to snapping of this belt in the middle of the journey. Hence, not only I would check the condition of the belt myself on periodic basis but would also get this checked during the regular service at the ASC, the most recent one was when I got the engine mounts replaced when the Odo reading was 220,000 km. I was told then that the condition of belt was in good shape and hence will not require replacement. However, during this service, irrespective of its health, I got the same replaced without too much thinking as it wasn’t a laborious task anyway considering the fact that the water pump belt was being replaced too.

The condition of the stock belt at 235,000 km
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-19-v-belt-stock.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20-v-belt-stock.jpg
Brand new belt tensioner
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-21-v-belt-tensioner.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-22-v-belt-tensioner-new.jpg
New belt fitted back onto the pulleys
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-23-v-belt-new.jpg
Exhaust cleaning:

Though this was never part of the plan, I was insisted that a round of pressure cleaning of the exhaust at this age would make a difference. The exhaust was anyway removed to access the components underneath the car due to replacement of various parts. I couldn’t conclude if the amount of carbon that came out of the exhaust was normal or low but definitely it wasn’t as bad as I have seen in case of some cars who get this done at the car washing centres and rev their cars. The soot in my car’s exhaust was acceptable and till date I have never faced any issues of black smoke even under hard acceleration. However, the cleaning wasn’t much of a task so I got it done anyway.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-24-exhaust-cleaning-1.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-24-exhaust-cleaning-2.jpg
Replacement of Thermostat assembly:

One of the critical part of your car’s cooling system, the thermostat was one part that I didn’t want to take risk that it would simply fail on me one day in the middle of the journey. Hence, I got the thermostat replaced proactively during this visit.

The stock thermostat assembly
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-25-thermostat-stock.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-26-thermostat-stock.jpg
The new thermostat assembly and fitted back in place
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-27-thermostat-new-1.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-27-thermostat-new-2.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-27-thermostat-fitted.jpg
Gear shifter cable assembly:

Although I have never faced issues with this cable, I have heard cases where the clips as part of the linkage/shifter break due to age and shifting becomes impossible. The stock shifter cables may have witnessed infinite shifts till now that replacing them with a newer set made sense so that you are assured of seamless experience during your future drives.

The stock shifter cable assembly – Nothing significantly bad at all
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-28-shifter-cable-stock.jpg
The new shifter assembly
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-29-shifter-cable-new.jpg
Engine oil and Transmission oil replacement:

It was no brainer for me that I have permanently settled with Motul X-cess 8100 fully synthetic oil since the last 1L km almost due to which I ordered 2 one litre cans while I carried left over oil from the past service to cover for the remaining 200 ml. The transmission oil this time was Bardahl 75W80 synthetic and API GL4 rated. Prior to this too, I had used Motylgear and was absolutely satisfied with it.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-30-engine-transmission-oil.jpg
Intercooler hoses:
They were in good shape with no signs of hardness or cracks. But the fact that these do not costs a bomb, I got them replaced anyway.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-31-hose.jpg
Final check and monitoring:

A precise timing chain replacement involves following some of the very basic hygiene including locking tools. All this was meticulously followed and after fitting of all the parts and ascertaining that there was nothing forgotten, the car was cranked and it the engine started in a single crank perfectly normally. The engine was then let to idle for at least 1 hour and periodically the underneath of the car was checking for any oil leaks. The coolant reservoir cap was also opened to check the level of coolant as it began to circulate.

I drove with peacefully after this mega service and on the very next day I checked the underneath of the car for any leaks and found none. I also opened the coolant reservoir cap to check the level and it was normal too indicating job well done.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-33-coolant-level.jpg
The Ertiga was driven for a week after this service for school pick-ups and drops for my daughter which also ensured that I could flag anything abnormal that I notice. Thankfully, the car behaved very normal and I had nothing to complain about at all. I along with dad as shotgun drove on a road-trip spanning 2600 km in the 3rd week of January to experience the Samruddhi Mahamarg. This was the first highway drive after the major service and the car performed flawlessly without a fuss bring a smile on our faces. It would easily keep up with the rest of the cars in the convoy and returned a healthy mileage which remained as good as day 1.

The combination of fresh engine and transmission oil ensured a smoother experience when cruising over 3 digit speeds on the highway. The temperature needle remained exactly halfway mark during some of the non-stop runs lasting over 450 km in one go, that further affirmed that the new thermostat was doing its job properly.

It matters when a seasoned mechanic has only good things to say:

When I would periodically stand beside my car was these works were carried out, the mechanic when cleaning bottom half the engine (above the oil sump) and timing chain area told me how the entire area that he was cleaning is already spic and span that he has to hardly struggle to remove any debris and that he has never seen a car that has clocked these many kilometres have its internals this clean. Such statements coming from a seasoned mechanic whose job is to execute similar tasks all day is certainly a moment of pride for an owner. The only other time I had someone tell this was at Mandovi Motors, Yeshwantpur when they had opened the engine tappet head cover for tappet valve clearance adjustment and showed me the underneath my WagonR’s tappet cover and then of another car. They told me how even at this age, the internals appear so clean.

Fill it, shut it, forget it for the next 1L km:
With these replacements done, the car is now good for another 1L km at least where it will see only replacement of engine oil and filters on a regular basis and I can continue to take up long highway sojourns without any worry. The recent 2600 km drive which was uneventful itself is testimony that drives ahead only need fuel to burn and nothing else.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-15-expressway-toll-exit.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-19-tripmeter.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st February 2023 at 12:02.
paragsachania is offline   (101) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 12:22   #678
BHPian

Awesome Parag bhai,

Your Ertiga is a real case study for Maruti Probably one of the most run Ertiga Diesel model in India which still looks showroom fresh.

Appreciate the attention to detail in maintaining your car which helps it run flawless even with so many kms on the ODO.

Just a few questions:
1. Did you face the infamous gear issue afterwards? (I remember you had one instance before 1L Kms)
2. How has the experience been with the current set of tyres? which set would you rate the best in the lot?
3. How do you find the ageing of the materials inside the cabin?

Wishing you many more hassle free miles on your Ertiga!!

Regards
Rahulb22
rahulb22 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 12:54   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
1. Did you face the infamous gear issue afterwards? (I remember you had one instance before 1L Kms)
Faced twice already and hopefully this time with a differently set of rings, these should last. The second time it happened was in 2021 when the Odo was over 2,00,000 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Feb 2021| Synchronizer Ring Failure

It was during my drive to Aurangabad and Thane in January where I suspected that the synchronizer rings in my car was failing again
Quote:
2. How has the experience been with the current set of tyres? which set would you rate the best in the lot?
Current ones are Continental UC6. Would rate them excellent, primarily due to low noise and performance.

Quote:
3. How do you find the ageing of the materials inside the cabin?
Have posted pics of the interiors many times on this thread. All of the fittings are holding up very well. You may want to check that out in person when we meet .
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 13:52   #680
Distinguished - BHPian

It is always good to read updates on your mile muncher Parag.

The fact that you are running stock rotors says a lot about your driving style and not about the quality of the rotors . But to be safe, get the thickness measured to ensure that the thickness is within the limits.

Are you still running on stock clutch, master and slave clutch cylinder?
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 14:20   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The fact that you are running stock rotors says a lot about your driving style and not about the quality of the rotors .
My stock pads lasted 82,000 km. Hence there is equal responsibility of the pads to damage the rotors if I were to look at only the quality of rotors . Even in my WagonR, the stock rotors were first replaced at 147,000 km and stock pads at 70,000km and I am no sedate driver on the highways and do maintain good speeds throughout. It is mainly to do with my anticipatory driving.

Quote:
But to be safe, get the thickness measured to ensure that the thickness is within the limits.
You think when I replaced quite some parts when they didn't even hint for replacement I would risk something as crucial as rotors? I stand beside my car for most of these services not just to see the condition of these parts but also check the aeging. The thickness of the rotors were never measured using calipers but one can very easily make out the wear by feeling the edges of these rotors too.

Rear drums underwent replacement around 190,000 km though.

And I would still refer to quality because there are many other examples to note here including the headlight housing. 100/90 H4 are in them since the very first year and I do a lot of drives through the entire night and yet they have hardly shown any signs of fading or dullness.

Apart from this, any unusual wobbling passed on to the brake pedal could hint at uneven wear which hasn't been the case till now with braking.

Quote:
Are you still running on stock clutch, master and slave clutch cylinder?
Clutch has been changed each time along with the cylinders when Synch rings were replaced.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd February 2023 at 14:29.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:08   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Alternator belt replacement:

I have always been extremely apprehensive about this one part in all my cars.
Thank You so very much for this very detailed service details Parag bhai. Am really impressed by how well you've maintained your vehicle.

Can you please confirm if this service station [Swastika Auto Centre] is located on Begur Road, Bangalore? I too own a Ertiga [though not as extensively driven as yours] and would like to get it serviced henceforth from this centre, hence asking.
DiMaGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 16:41   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMaGo View Post
Can you please confirm if this service station [Swastika Auto Centre] is located on Begur Road, Bangalore? I too own a Ertiga [though not as extensively driven as yours] and would like to get it serviced henceforth from this centre, hence asking.
Yes, it is the same one, on Begur road.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 17:51   #684
BHPian

Wonderful maintenance work done Parag Bhai. I must compliment you on such a meticulous and rigorous schedule which you have continued for a long time now.

My own Ertiga is now at 161000 kms and I am planning a replacement soon considering that some things are definitely not as smooth as before, also I might get a decent value in resale before long. The K14 Engine is still butter smooth but off late I feel that there is some steering vibration while applying brakes at speeds above 60 and this has just not gone away. The service centre diagnosed faulty bearings and even after replacement this problem has continued.

However I do feel that this vehicle was a steal at the price I bought it in 2014 , considering the skyrocketing prices of cars nowadays.

Your thread is an inspiration on how to maintain cars for long.
Shwet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 08:56   #685
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, such a comprehensive and thorough understanding of your machine!! People like me get cold feet as the odo climbs towards the 1 lakh kM mark. As I read through your post, I kept wondering how would the servicing of an EV be after such high mileage. Great post
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 14:07   #686
BHPian

A great learnable update. Thanks Parag.

How you convinced the mechanic for “Preventive replacement(s)”.

How did you arranged bardhal gear oil? BTW elvibardhal website does not show any current product like 75w-85 gear oil.

A doubt: Why didn’t you preferred RTU coolant?
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 14:37   #687
MVM
BHPian

Hello Parag Sir,

This article was the first ever article I read on TeamBHP 3 years back and ever since then I have been hooked to this page.
We too own a first generation Ertiga ZDI (2012 model). She has clocked 160000 kilometres so far and she has suffered various battle scars along the way. As long as my dad was the sole driver the car was in perfect shape but after 2016 the car has been driven by multiple chauffeurs and has suffered a good amount of abuse.(She is currently on her 3rd clutch)
The car is mechanically in decent condition but in poor shape cosmetically. She is still a joy to drive despite the niggles. For the past year we have been servicing her at an FNG because we felt the prices charged by the ASCs were ridiculous for the quality of work they offer. I started driving from October of 2022 and I have covered close to 400 kilometres on our Ertiga both on the highway and in the city. I prefer driving the Ertiga because it is currently the only manual car that we own. I am emotionally attached to the vehicle because she has carried me and my family for the last 11 years without skipping a beat.

I am requesting you to share your valuable input on the issue listed below:

During cold starts the car emits white smoke which is extremely foul smelling and sometimes makes its way into the cabin. The car does not emit any smoke whatsoever once it is warm. The coolant level also stays the same and does not drop drastically (which rules out a blown head gasket). We have never had to top off the coolant and it is refilled only when the car is serviced. The oil level also stays consistent and does not drop below the optimal value. The car recently had its periodic service and we highlighted the issue to our FNG mechanic and he told us that it is completely normal and that it occurs with all diesels. I am not convinced with this explanation and I believe it is false. He also mentioned that since it does not emit smoke when the engine is warm then it is not a major issue. I would like this problem to be solved regardless of the severity of the issue.

Thank you for your response.
MVM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 18:03   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... This post is all about details of a major service that my Ertiga VDi underwent during the...
Brought a huge smile to my face on reading the post. A well take care of vehicle and owner with eye for details.

Noticed that you have changed timing chain at timing belt intervals. Any reason why?

With belts you have the risk of sudden failure, so preemptive replacment at 80k to 100k is best. But with chains, they runs well beyond 200k kms and you will known when to change on inspection, as no fear of sudden failure.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 12:54   #689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
How you convinced the mechanic for “Preventive replacement(s)”.
To be honest, there was no convincing involved at all. I had shared the list of parts to be replaced and they were replaced. The only conversation that took place when each of these parts were removed was to understand how the condition of the part was. I do the same even at MSIL workshop whenever I am visiting.

Quote:
How did you arranged bardhal gear oil? BTW elvibardhal website does not show any current product like 75w-85 gear oil.
I didn't source it, the workshop had this and the owner of the workshop has a Ritz Diesel done 1.8L and he recommended that I try this. Knowing that it was also GL4 spec, I just went ahead and got it replaced. The plan otherwise was to source Motylgear Transmission oil from Motorcycle house, JC road who is the authorized distributor for Motul products.

Quote:
A doubt: Why didn’t you preferred RTU coolant?
Till now, I haven't experimented with brake fluid or coolant and have always used Maruti Genuine liquids for the same. I have only switched to Motul Xcess 8100 for engine oil and GL4 grade synthetic transmission oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVM View Post
During cold starts the car emits white smoke which is extremely foul smelling and sometimes makes its way into the cabin. The car does not emit any smoke whatsoever once it is warm. The coolant level also stays the same and does not drop drastically (which rules out a blown head gasket). We have never had to top off the coolant and it is refilled only when the car is serviced. The oil level also stays consistent and does not drop below the optimal value. The car recently had its periodic service and we highlighted the issue to our FNG mechanic and he told us that it is completely normal and that it occurs with all diesels.
I too had this white smoke problem on cold starts that would clear in under 5 minutes after a cold start. The problem was regular when the gap between 2 starts was at least 10-12 hours. In July 2022, I got the intercooler cleaned where there were light traces of engine oil. After this I have never faced this issue. You may want to get the intercooler cleaned during the next oil change and inspect for any oil in the same and get it properly cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Noticed that you have changed timing chain at timing belt intervals. Any reason why?

With belts you have the risk of sudden failure, so preemptive replacment at 80k to 100k is best. But with chains, they runs well beyond 200k kms and you will known when to change on inspection, as no fear of sudden failure.
Typically, the replacement interval for Timing chain for cars equipped with Fiat's Multijet Diesel engine is anywhere between 90-120k.

Maruti never specifies this for most of their Diesel products in the owner's manual and always go by the odometer reading along with a specific noise. FIAT models had an interval of 60k earlier that was later changed to 90k km too.

However, there are enough examples of the same cars running without issues even beyond 140-150k km on the stock timing chains too. But with something as crucial as timing chain, there is no risk that you want to take and damage the internals of the engine when one day suddenly the chain snaps!

You can browse through multiple ownership threads on this very forum, especially cars with Fiat Multijet Diesel and you will know that most have changed it around 90-120k mark. Quoting the below reference from Arun's Linea ownership:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
4. Timing Chain replaced @ 59436 Kms and 1,11,913 Kms

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th February 2023 at 13:02.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 12:54   #690
BHPian

Wonderful Parag Bhai, your Ertiga thread kept me motivated through my entire 8.5 years of journey with my own Ertiga. Decided to let my tallboy go now and finally swapping it for the Grand Vitara. It's with extremely mixed emotions that I am letting go of Ertiga, there were times when I was frustrated with small issues like suspension acting up but a visit to your thread always cleared things up and kept me motivated for the entire journey of more than 1.6 lakh kilometres.

This thread is an education on vehicle maintenance and also your theory of reliability was proven right , my tallboy's engine kept on purring smoothly and surely had more miles to go. Keep it up and many more happy kms with your tallboy.
Shwet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed