Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2015, 09:28   #136
BHPian

re: Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.

Does the DVD play movie when the car is in motion?
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:59   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by imove View Post
Does the DVD play movie when the car is in motion?
I have not checked if DVD plays when the car is in motion.

I have just once checked that movies play from a pen-drive while the car was stationery.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:41   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have not checked if DVD plays when the car is in motion.

I have just once checked that movies play from a pen-drive while the car was stationery.
No it does not once you cross 10 kmph if I recall. I am also looking for an option to connect repeat monitor for rear seats which as per some manual will work. Need to get a confirmation from dealer.
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:10   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
No it does not once you cross 10 kmph if I recall. I am also looking for an option to connect repeat monitor for rear seats which as per some manual will work. Need to get a confirmation from dealer.
Manumacher, please let me know if you get a confirmation from the dealer on this. However, it would need it to work at all times, mainly to keep the kids engaged while dad drives.
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:11   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Manumacher, please let me know if you get a confirmation from the dealer on this. However, it would need it to work at all times, mainly to keep the kids engaged while dad drives.
Do not think it can be changed. It is a safety feature to turn off video once you drive. Pl check with your dealer too if repeat monitors can be installed.
Old 8th November 2015, 07:36   #141
BHPian

A potential problem that I noticed in the new Generation Scorpio is the plastic fuel tank. If you notice underneath, the lower surface of the tank is actually a bit lower than the footboard. For a 4x4 vehicle this is a serious design flaw in my opinion.

I found this informative article on Metal vs Plastic fuel tank which discusses the pros and cons.

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/jom...rado-9607.html

Last edited by imove : 8th November 2015 at 08:04. Reason: Correction
Old 9th November 2015, 01:22   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A potential problem that I noticed in the new Generation Scorpio is the plastic fuel tank. If you notice underneath, the lower surface of the tank is actually a bit lower than the footboard. For a 4x4 vehicle this is a serious design flaw in my opinion.

I found this informative article on Metal vs Plastic fuel tank which discusses the pros and cons.

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/jom...rado-9607.html

4WD will come with a tank guard (not sure if they have omitted it in the new-generation). Otherwise you can fabricate something like mine, refer my ownership thread.

There are pros and cons of plastic, however, the original fuel tank guard on my scorpio had gotten weak and one very average underbody hit (in comparison to some of the larger magnitude ones earlier) caused the metallic fuel tank to bend and block fuel supply. A plastic tank would have bounced back to shape. But again in extreme cold, you might not be able to put a lit up stove underneath a plastic tank to heat the fuel up.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 01:52   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
4WD will come with a tank guard (not sure if they have omitted it in the new-generation). Otherwise you can fabricate something like mine, refer my ownership thread.
Thanks 1100D, I have gone through your thread already and have something similar in mind. The article I shared provides an indepth analysis on subject of plastic vs metal fuel tanks.

I checked a s4+ 4WD and it did not have any such guard. Sheel's car also does not have that as it appears.
Old 9th November 2015, 14:34   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
But again in extreme cold, you might not be able to put a lit up stove underneath a plastic tank to heat the fuel up.
Precisely. I have had to do this at a few places and the Scorpio does not have glow plugs too and hence serious mountain tourers should ideally think of replacing the OE fuel tank with the older, metallic tank if it fits, else heating the tank (quite common in winters in the high hills) is well nigh impossible.
Old 21st November 2015, 19:15   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Precisely. I have had to do this at a few places and the Scorpio does not have glow plugs too and hence serious mountain tourers should ideally think of replacing the OE fuel tank with the older, metallic tank if it fits, else heating the tank (quite common in winters in the high hills) is well nigh impossible.
Will have to cross check. Anshuman's XUV didn't have any starting issue and I recall [him mentioning] that an EcoSport had.

I believe these goodies should have been passed on to the W105's.

Car will see a bit of running from tomorrow, ~100kms/day on average.
Old 21st November 2015, 21:41   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will have to cross check. Anshuman's XUV didn't have any starting issue and I recall [him mentioning] that an EcoSport had.

I believe these goodies should have been passed on to the W105's.
I don't know about new Scorpio, but XUV does start alright at altitude in freezing temperatures. My XUV fired instantly after any freezing night with temperatures going as low as -15 in Kaza. Innova at Chitkul took a much longer time to fire up, Ecosport had issues in Kaza, had to get some sun baking. I have seen old Scorpio, Innova and Xylo struggling earlier, have read about Safari on the forum.

I was carrying Diesel anti freeze but did not use it. I did not use any other precaution, the car was parked facing the road and engine was not covered using tarp.

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st November 2015 at 21:44.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 07:21   #147
BHPian

My White 4WD Scorpio S10 7CC finally came home. The ride is definitely better than the 2WD Scorpio that I did a Test Drive on. I drove on the same streches and felt it. For now, I have decided to stay with OEM tyres after some research. Blackpearl, Himadrimondal and I had TDed together. Himadri booked the same in Black and I chose White, we both received our drives around the same time. Information gathered by reading posts in this forum and this thread greatly helped and we received a lot of help from SS-Traveller as well.

One of these days I will start a thread on my ownership of this car to talk about it all. Receiving it was a long wait so let me savour the excitement of my new ride for a few days. The kids are busy christening it and the dinner table chatter is about the looong drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20151120_224515.jpg  

imove is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 21:23   #148
BHPian

Quote:
My White 4WD Scorpio S10 7CC finally came home.
Congrats! Someday, I'll buy one as well.

Quote:
Himadri booked the same in Black and I chose White, we both received our drives around the same time.
Interesting! So he wants something more capable than the Duster 2WD he's got. I followed his ownership thread quite a bit.
Old 19th December 2015, 18:00   #149
Team-BHP Support

1 Year up

For the past 1 year, I have driven the Scorpio almost 2X than I drove my earlier car. Odo stands at ~14,500 kms. And then I have to factor in that I commute with my CBR, go to sites in the Bolero or the VLX and the Explorer comes in picture when I want to have some *me* time and or family wishes to go out. I can't believe, someone like me who used to give so much precedence to handling & steering feel of a car has given up on all this and has focused on GC & 4WD instead.

I was skeptical of a Mahindra to be very honest, but frankly, not much has gone wrong, infact, nothing has gone wrong. All electronics and the SUV as a whole works as a charm and as intended.

The car has huge street presence and combined with the black color, not many mess with you.

The biggest moment of pride is when existing Fortuner drivers praise this & say, it just drives like their car and that it is more comfortable as far as ride goes but seats do not support the posture as they do in the Fortuner. They should have been a bit big & accommodating.

Our family has done close to 400 kilometers in a shade over 6 hours and neither my parents over 70+ complained and nor did my daughter, she is not even 6 months old, didn't get cranky.

Let us come to its strengths

# Very able cruiser.

Now, on those vast empty stretches of EW corridor, the car is in its elements at speeds between 90 and 110 kmph. 110kmph and above it, the car, either begs for a 6th gear or a taller 5th. This is where I miss the engine tune of an XUV as car tends to get a bit boomy and there is wind noise. Because of its inherent tall build, typical of an SUV, wind noise is on par with say a Swift. Not bad. Tires are pretty good and hold up really well on tarmac sections, very less road noise as well. Tires are the Bridgestone Duelers.

But, I usually cruise between 90 and 100 kmph, ideal speed IMO, I can react to situations, do not need to panic brake and it generally feels nice staying at that speed.

# Ride and handling combination

The steering feel is very nice, no fake feel, the suspension is damped just right. Does the stabilizer bar have any role to play in the way the suspension behaves?

With 1 year and close to 15K, I can list the one negative I have found with the suspension. The rear bounces up & down a bit [more than my liking] at slow speeds at unusually large humps.

Else, I am really happy with the on road behavior of the SUV, be it straight flat roads, broken roads or no roads, you don't get tossed around.

# Engine

It is a gem with the right torque at the right rpm and that hum is intoxicating.

# Seating comfort

The SUV is really comfortable with 4 passengers and their luggage. The mid captain seats is a gem. It is only when more than 3 passengers + driver get on the car that the problem starts. The rear bench doesn't have much leg space to speak of and there isn't any luggage space either.

All in all, one year down the line, I am happy with the purchase, if asked to make a purchase this year with the same amount of $$$ involved, can't think of any other SUV, maybe the 400NM Storme, but nothing else beyond that, really.

The 4WD has made life really easy and exciting at the same time. I do not need to bother with bad road, no road, road under construction, jumping dividers in case of traffic jams or taking the alternate [kacchha] road. The bonus being, better ride and handling.

Thanks for reading, if any query, do drop a line
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 18:38   #150
M35
BHPian

Quote:
1 Year up
For the past 1 year, I have driven the Scorpio almost 2X than I drove my earlier car.
Great going Sheel.

2.5 months/Year X 6 years = 1,00000 km +. This has been the story of me and my ‘Scorp’ ever since I got him home in 2009. Gone are the days when I used to take domestic flights to travel within India. Now that I am relocating back home in a month or so, that figure is definitely going to grow exponentially.

Give him a decent shower and treat us with some pictures to complete your post at the one year mark.

Last edited by M35 : 19th December 2015 at 18:47.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks