Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2016, 21:47   #211
Team-BHP Support

re: Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
And what is that cruise control error?
Don't know Dev. Will get these checked when I reach home & visit local ASC. As these are not critical, I think I can drive home.

Will update for sure :-)
Old 20th September 2016, 11:15   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Will update for sure :-)
The ASC at Patna had cleared the codes which had appeared. The local ASC couldn't do much then. Got the brakes attended to [bled them] and drove back home.
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:27   #213
Team-BHP Support

The 4X4's are indeed differently made.

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-whatsapp-image-20160927-22.54.15.jpeg

Anyways, on my way back from another trip, the engine led lit up again. This time I was in 3rd and wanted the torque to take care of the situation. In limp mode as well, it climbed a bridge.

Pulled out the keys, left it for 2 mins and it was back to normal. Lets see what the ASC guys come up with.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th August 2022 at 12:32.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 17:39   #214
BANNED

Quote:
The 4X4's are indeed differently made.
Pulled out the keys, left it for 2 mins and it was back to normal. Lets see what the ASC guys come up with.
While the first point sounds nice, the repeated Check Engine light is now getting too long in the tooth.

I would recommend you make sure of what the ASC does this time to fix it.
Old 6th October 2016, 09:04   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
While the first point sounds nice, the repeated Check Engine light is now getting too long in the tooth.

I would recommend you make sure of what the ASC does this time to fix it.
Turbo = changed
boost pressure controller = changed
vacuum modulator & hose = ordered [its by a new vendor is what I gathered]

Service is due in next 2,000 kms. I am not sure if EGR was changed or touched. Brake discs would be changed as well in service as they found some issue in it.

The good thing is I am not stranded anywhere and there is no change in the way the Scorpio drives but if this issue is a repeat, then I really don't know what to change further.

Scorpio is just shy of 28,000 kms.
Old 6th October 2016, 11:12   #216
BANNED

Quote:
Turbo = changed
boost pressure controller = changed
vacuum modulator & hose = ordered [its by a new vendor is what I gathered]
Going by this list, I feel the ASC is changing stuff just for the heck of it.

Low boost? Change whatever creates boost.

Still low boost? Give it some Boost with diesel.

Quote:
The good thing is I am not stranded anywhere and there is no change in the way the Scorpio drives but if this issue is a repeat, then I really don't know what to change further.
Can you send me the error codes this time please? I ll do some troubleshooting at my end.
Old 14th October 2016, 21:11   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The hum of an M-Hawk is to be experienced. Either while crawling or while doing intra-city runs. I feel, the M&M guys have upped the cruising abilities of this New Gen Scorpio. It does 90kmph @ 2,000 revs, In comparison, the older gen did 80kmph @ 2,000 revs, Fortuner does 100, Pajero SFX did 80 and IIRC Storme does 90kmph as well at 2,000 revs.
Finally there is a pic for it.
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-whatsapp-image-20161014-21.05.49.jpeg

This pic is of Nepal. Near Dharan.
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-whatsapp-image-20161014-21.05.49-1.jpeg  

Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 09:13   #218
Team-BHP Support

When there is no space to park and of course you can't park it on the road. Didn't have to go on and on and search for a parking spot away from my eyes.

There was enough space for a Tata 407 to pass and that road doesn't see cars bigger than a SUV. Car couldn't climb higher or go further left as wheels were spinning.
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-whatsapp-image-20161029-09.05.54.jpeg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-whatsapp-image-20161029-09.05.55.jpeg  

Last edited by Sheel : 29th October 2016 at 09:20.
Old 5th November 2016, 15:49   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98
I am in the process of replacing my Bolero...rugged, reliable and durable vehicle.
Thanks for your bouquet

I hope, you won't mind this medium to reply to your query. The reason I choose to reply over here, on open forum is

# My reply can be contested and I we can arrive at a better conclusion

# A discussion over a PM, defeats the purpose of an open forum.

Now, let us come to your queries,

Scorpio in 4WD iteration is a much better handling vehicle but it won't be as comfortable as a Xylo and a Safari/Storme. I will pick either of this two if I had your usage pattern. You may also drive a TUV 3OO and may come home surprised.

Do you necessarily need a ladder on frame based SUV/MUV w/o a 4X4? Defeats the purpose IMO.

You may search the forum for Storme ownership/reviews and see as to how niggle free the product is or not.

Why not something like the Lodgy or Ertiga or maybe the BR-V [it has 7 seats I assume]. You may also look at the XUV 5OO.

I would say, drive the Xylo, TUV and XUV from M&M. Go to your neighborhood Tata and see as to how satisfied the owners are. Do give a try to monocoque based SUV/MUV like BR-V, Ertiga, Lodgy, Duster, Terrano.

Do update

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2017 at 16:53. Reason: PM trimmed
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 16:56   #220
BHPian

Thanks for your reply Sheel.

For us we feel Body on frame vehicles are a must, reasons being rugged build, long term durability, suspension & axles are mounted on chassis resulting in silent cabin and ensures that occupants don't feel the road underneath.

There has been no Scorpio 4WD to test drive here to feel the difference between the 2Wd vs 4WD. The Safari Storme's ride quality felt plusher compared to Scorpio 2WD.

With no offence meant to anyone, the below is my feeling based on our requirements (5 tall ppl and running of 40k kms/yr)

Ertiga - Three people cannot be seated comfortable in 2nd row. So if one has to go back to 3rd row then the 2nd row leg space is compromised badly. Too small engine, the turbo lag is a trouble at some steep inclines when with 5 well built people.

TUV 300 - 1.5 3cyl engine may not be a work horse for 3 L kms. Agreed that this will suit a person whose usage is lesser.

XUV 500 - Didn't like the modern plasticky interiors and too many electronics and niggles. Knowing Mahindra service and our requirement of 40k kms per year, its better to have a bare-basic simple and easy to repair vehicle. Every mahindra service center does not attend to XUV, this will be a problem on touring when the vehicle ages out.

Xylo - Feels comfortable for sure, just that its on its way out. Still this is in the consideration list.

Duster & Lodgy - Brilliant vehicles, no doubt about it. Infact this are the only monocoque that impressed us. But worry is on Durability and service availability acorss India. My cousin owns Duster and have seen the expensive service bills, with no great service quality.

Safari Storme - Fits most of our requirements. Trying to gather feedback on durability of this 2.2 engine. In the scorpio 2.2 Mhawk I have known many people cover 2+ lac kms without trouble, haven't been able to collect similar feedback on Safari.

Scorpio & Bolero in 2WD mode are more than sufficient to handle bad roads and occasional dirt roads. Our requirements are one vehicle to do office commute and touring which would involve broken roads where ground clearance is a must. And while traveling 1000-1200+ kms in one day its comfortable when seated high up, this is from our experience.

I shall try to see if I can test drive a Scorpio 4WD. If there is big significant difference from the 2WD then it would fit the requirement perfectly well. Will update once I drive a 4WD.

Thanks!
Old 7th November 2016, 22:17   #221
BHPian

Quote:

Scorpio in 4WD iteration is a much better handling vehicle but it won't be as comfortable as a Xylo and a Safari/Storme.

I would say, drive the Xylo, TUV and XUV from M&M.
@Herbie98,
Every time someone suggests Xylo and says anything good about it, it actually fills my heart with happiness. This is such a good car and the new edition even looks better than the first one. 1 year with it and I don't have a single regret though I have been asked a million times 'why Xylo?'
Have not come across anyone reporting major issues or niggles, the only one that is prominently said is that the Interiors start to rattle. Haven't faced such issues till now.
Please do check out Xylo mHawk, it comes with dual airbags standard on every varient and H4 ABS would be around 11L onroad.

Last edited by wrongturn : 7th November 2016 at 22:18.
Old 13th November 2016, 09:39   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
I shall try to see if I can test drive a Scorpio 4WD. If there is big significant difference from the 2WD then it would fit the requirement perfectly well. Will update once I drive a 4WD.
There is a difference, significant or not, is for you to decide after having a go in the 4WD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got the 30,000 kms service done yesterday. Engine oil along with all filters were replaced, I must say, the Scorpio feels and drives like a new one, in-fact better than a new one. No squeaks or rattles, that tight feel of a new car is present throughout.

The modulator/s were replaced as well [again] as part of earlier replacements. This is a new designed unit and I hope, it keeps the Engine LED away. Though, despite trying, I couldn't bring up the engine LED with turbo and few hoses being changed.

The biggest change this time around was for brakes, I remember complaining about my the poor performing brakes in my Scorpio. There was some issue with few braking components, so brake discs along with pads were changed and now, it just feels so better and secure to drive with these new brakes. These were warranty replacements as well.

On a recent drive, drove through a sea of corners https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Pi....8544458?hl=en and the Scorpio almost felt like a go-kart. Steering feel was top-notch, chassis composure was exemplary as well, with slight lift from rear wheels and a bit of noise from Bridgestone Duelers.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th November 2016 at 09:42.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 16:50   #223
BHPian

I picked up my Optimus, my S10 4x4 AT on the 6th of June and I am now pushing 13k Kms.

So far, I have not had any problem and the car begs to be driven as much as you can. I have faced various terrain, from many highway runs cruising very comfortable at the ton and managing to turn up some very decent fuel economy - almost close to 14 kmpl -to no roads, almost 2 feet of water and lots of slush. Everything was dispatched without any issues.

The vehicle is bone stock and the car as is as tight and rattle free today, as it was on the day I took delivery. Ride is pretty comfortable without the rear end bounce of the previous generation Scorpio.

With the 4WD, you only need to remember that your turning circle is a wee bit wider than with the 2WD.

Would highly recommend the vehicle.
krishsreedharan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 20:45   #224
Team-BHP Support

I had a special guest as a passenger today. The said person drives a LC Prado petrol in Dubai and after hopping off after a distance of ~ 170 kms, he was all praises for the Scorpio. As per him, he didn't realize that the Scorpio has been continuously been driven between 95/110 kmph and that he didn't feel the drive took place, he was as fresh as a daisy.

The Scorpio was really in its element today, covered a distance of 180kms in under 2.5 hrs [while going] and it was simply humming. The tires have begun to squeal now
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 10:48   #225
BANNED

Quote:
The tires have begun to squeal now
Duelers typically begin to squealing at 35k km if driven spiritedly but continue to offer good grip.
What pressures do you maintain?

In fact, I find it fun when they squeal, feel like an old Hindi movie villain (not hero)..!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks