Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2017, 09:38   #181
BHPian

Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

[quote=Satishtv;4236957]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Thank you kiransg for the nice words. I am flattered.

Mahajan Sir, This was a fabulous informative review. I read the thread in one go.

I am in the same boat as you were in Oct 2015. I am confused between the Jazz and Baleno

I have a few pointed questions about your family's experience with the Jazz

1) Do you use the sports mode with the paddle shifters? Are the paddle shifters useful?
2) Is it comfortable to sit in the rear seats? I am concerned about the absence of the headrests in the rear seats
3) In the absence of the hill hold assist, how comfortable is it for your wife to drive the car when stopped in steep inclines?
4) On an average what service cost are you getting every six months?
5) Do you miss the magic seats of the top end?
6) And finally, as of today would you still recommend the Jazz or a different hatchback?

I will be thrilled to see your answers. I hope it will help in my decision making
Dear Satishtv,

Thanks for the praise.

Let me try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities:

1) I have 'experimented' with the sports mode. The car becomes a totally different animal! I am more of a sedate driver and used it only in few occasions. The paddle shifters are more practical than the sports mode - at least to me. You can use sharp pickup and it will go to automatic mode in a few seconds. From Sep 2016, my wife uses the Jazz. She has not used the sports mode or the paddle shifters even once! (Note to self: I need to remind her that these are good options! )

2) The rear seats have rarely seated me! However, they are extremely comfortable. No-one has yet complained about the fixed headrests. The angle is also comfortable and - best - the width is more than enough for three pax.

3) The CVT seems to have something equivalent to the hill hold assist. In the ghats it has never gone back while starting. Maybe we have not tested the threshold point. For all practical slopes, I would say that there is no issue starting up a steep incline. In the worst case - use the Sports mode!

4) I have not really kept a track of the regular costs. I think it is less than 5k per 6 months. Edit: From Honda Connect I got this info:
3 months 350, 6 months 9978 (including Honda Connect), 1 yr 8878, 1.5 yr 5832.

5) Magic seats - aha - the controversy! Actually, if you read my review, you will have noticed my comments on this. Even at the time of buying the car, I was confident that I would not have used this feature. I have not faced a single situation, when I would have been happier with the Magic seats.

6) If you are selecting a hatchback for the drive thrills - irrespective of other factors - I would suggest the VW Polo TSI. If not, Jazz is the way to go. Note: there have been new entrants since I did my evaluation and I am not qualified to comment on them. However, looking at reviews and sales figures, I think the situation is not drastically changed.

I hope I have made myself clear. Please feel free to raise as many queries as you feel like.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 10:48   #182
BHPian

[quote=GKMahajan;4237131]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post

5) Magic seats I have not faced a single situation, when I would have been happier with the Magic seats.

6) If you are selecting a hatchback for the drive thrills - irrespective of other factors - I would suggest the VW Polo TSI.
I was looking for an AT hatcback around 10 L back in May/Jun 2015. Look at everything from Brio to A class
Then based on what I "wanted" and the cost the shortlist was down to Jazz CVT and Polo GT TSI

Loved the Jazz. But felt shortchanged for not having a CVT in VX trim and having to settle for a V trim. I would have paid more for VX and may be a 1.5 l engine if that was an option. I would have been able to dump my cycle (really miss my cycle when I go to remote places). I really think there is a market for a "top end" VX CVT. Not sure why Honda is not listening.

Polo was able to pull enough strings in my heart. DSG with Turbo Petrol was just too good a combo at that price.

Last edited by freedom : 20th July 2017 at 10:50.
freedom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 11:04   #183
BHPian

[quote=freedom;4237182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post

Loved the Jazz. But felt shortchanged for not having a CVT in VX trim and having to settle for a V trim. I would have paid more for VX and may be a 1.5 l engine if that was an option. I would have been able to dump my cycle (really miss my cycle when I go to remote places). I really think there is a market for a "top end" VX CVT. Not sure why Honda is not listening.

Polo was able to pull enough strings in my heart. DSG with Turbo Petrol was just too good a combo at that price.
I completely agree with you. I would have paid the money for the VX variant of the Jazz.

I love the Polo GT TSI and it is by far the best automatic i have test driven during this selection period. My only grouse is with the reliability of the DSG gear box. Moreover, If I don't buy the Jazz now, I may just wait for the new Polo until next year and buy the same...
Satishtv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 11:17   #184
BANNED

They (incl Honda) have reverted to the old practice of offering the 2nd from Top variant in the AT trim. I feel there is enough demand to warrant the top trim as well.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 09:46   #185
BHPian

Hello Jazzers/friends,

I have been driving the Jazz for the last couple of weeks - as my Scorpio is in the service center.

Today drove from Pune to Mira Road.
Tank full to present condition - 208.6 km @15.4 kmpl (includes 2:30 hours for 18.3 km in Pune city at 8 kmph average speed - on the 13 Oct 2017 - it rained 100.8 mm in one hour!!!!)

Pune to Mira Road only - 167.1 km @21.0 kmpl
Range balance - 358 km. This means the tank fill to empty range is estimated to be 358 + 209 = 567 km at least - and mind you - the tank was not really empty when I filled it - it was showing a balance of 50+!! So the real range is in excess of 600 km for mixed driving.

The odo is at 17619 km. The car has completed almost exactly 23.5 months.

I love my Jazz!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 01:22   #186
BHPian

[quote=GKMahajan;4237131]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post

3) The CVT seems to have something equivalent to the hill hold assist. In the ghats it has never gone back while starting. Maybe we have not tested the threshold point. For all practical slopes, I would say that there is no issue starting up a steep incline. In the worst case - use the Sports mode!
My question is exactly on this . Primarily considering only the Grand i10 / Xcent auto or Jazz CVT. Other DCT options completely ruled out beacuse they roll back in Sharp inclines.

I consider myself a very good driver , have done multiple Ooty, Kodaikanal , Valparai and other hills multiple times. Never had any issues with a manual 99% of the time.

Once, on a very steep incline of around 45 degrees( found mostly in narrow residential colonies ) , I had to stop for a dump truck and there was a car behind me

The car , despite my hard acceleration and slipping the clutch, rolled back. Had to take another person's help. I generally use the clutch method to tackle inclines while the person who moved the car used the hand brake which I am not familiar with.

This was such a jolt and I have been considering an automatic especially for touring for both the incline issue plus my current car doesn't have airbags.

I love driving manuals and will continue with my Figo diesel for daily usage.I am presently at Ooty and will post pictures of such steep inclines though a phone camera doesn't generally capture the steepness of the incline.

A manual with hill hold will solve the issue but such a combination is not available at this price point.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 29th November 2017 at 01:27.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 13:11   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post

The car , despite my hard acceleration and slipping the clutch, rolled back. Had to take another person's help. I generally use the clutch method to tackle inclines while the person who moved the car used the hand brake which I am not familiar with....
Using the handbrake on an incline is the right thing to do. Holding a car stationary with the clutch will prematurely add wear & tear to it.

The handbrake technique is really quite simple:
Stop on an incline > engage handbrake > when moving off, engage first gear and revv just enough so you can feel the car eager to move forward (don't over-revv) > release the handbrake and car moves forward without rolling back.

Can be perfected with a bit of practice.

Buy an AT for the convenience, but don't give up on manuals just for this one issue.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th November 2017 at 13:13.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 19:38   #188
BHPian

I have booked a V CVT Jazz at a good discount and an OK exchange offer on my existing Honda City ZX 2006 model. I did the PDI today and was relieved to not see the JK and MRF on the car. Bridgestone should be enough for few years I assume. Looking forward to a comfortable drive in mad Bangalore Traffic. Only grudge is loosing out on my 17k run XM2's on my city. I am hoping that CVT should suffice for a sedate driver like me who wants to save his knee and avoid going mad on champions doting our streets.

Edit: Stock tyre is R14 and an MRF.

Last edited by adi_gt : 14th December 2017 at 19:39.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 12:06   #189
BHPian

Mahajan Sir, What was your trick to break in the engine for your Jazz ? How to keep varying the rpm's as the transmission always keeps the rpm at around 1100 for city speeds.
Old 30th December 2017, 14:49   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post

Edit: Stock tyre is R14 and an MRF.
Tyres should be R15. If not you should complain. Me too booked with discounts, the last available CVT with my dealer and expecting delivery by 7-10 Jan.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)-untitled.jpg  

riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2017, 20:28   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Tyres should be R15. If not you should complain. Me too booked with discounts, the last available CVT with my dealer and expecting delivery by 7-10 Jan.
Ohh! May be I used the wrong term "stock". I meant the 5th reserve tyre is an undersized R14 with steel wheel not an alloy.
adi_gt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 10:01   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Mahajan Sir, What was your trick to break in the engine for your Jazz ? How to keep varying the rpm's as the transmission always keeps the rpm at around 1100 for city speeds.
Dear adi_gt,

I was told again and again that it does not need any 'break-in'. However, I made sure that I kept the speed and rpm in check till first servicing. I mean real strict check!! Your point of varying the rpm never crossed my mind! Sorry. However, in hind-sight, I think the rpm did vary more in the initial days. I did not do anything consciously. If I remember right, the minimum rpm showed some funny behavior. Till 1st service, it stayed around 1100, then it stayed around 1000 till 2nd service and since then it has been at around 800! Maybe Honda is using some 'software' to break in the engine!!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan

Quote:
Ohh! May be I used the wrong term "stock". I meant the 5th reserve tyre is an undersized R14 with steel wheel not an alloy.
Dear adi_gt (again),

As far as I know the wall height is more for the spare wheel. So the outer diameter of the wheel is same for the 14" and 15" wheels. So, don't worry - almost all cars come this way. As far as I know the rating of the spare wheel is less - 120 kmph only!! I do not know the rating of the others. However, I guess it is in excess of 150 kmph!!In short, enjoy! Ignore the R14. I hope you never use it!!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 12:48   #193
BHPian

My wife got a VCVT two days ago.
She finds the car comfortable to drive and is happy with it. Despite being 5'2" she felt the dashboard touching her knees.

I found the car good to drive in city traffic. Since I normally drive a manual Ecosport it was a big change to navigate the stop and go Hyderabad traffic.

But I notice a few things that mar the experience:
1. When I rest my left foot on the dead pedal, my leg gets pressed by the edge of the center console. The Ecosport has a (1) taller wall for the console and so the left leg rests comfortably against it, and, (2) is inclined slightly away from the leg and allows the leg to rest at an outward angle.

This was indicated by Suhas in his Official Review too (point # 5) "In this image, you can tell how the Jazz' center console tilts toward the driver:"

2. The dashboard touches my knee when the seat is in a comfortable position. The Ecosport's dashboard at that position is grooved inside semi-circularly.

3. 5-6 hours of driving in my Ecosport never hurt my back. The Jazz seat hurts the shoulder.

I guess Ford's has better ergonomic expertise

3. Noise level from the road is quite obvious. On the Hyderabad ORR, they have started relaying the road. On these stretches, the car is very silent. But on the older stretch, the noise is quite apparent.

4. There is a constant "motor rolling" sound. I assume it is the auto transmission. Does this reduce after 2-3 services?

5. I did not experience the rubber band effect.

6. I tried the S mode on the highway but it makes no difference. I assume it is required only for slopes. It did not create the thrust that a manual car creates when overtaking.

7. Armrest is a real miss for those used to it.

8. The passenger side foot well has a raised area under the seat. I believe women tend to keep their feet closer to the seat and so may find it uncomfortable. Men normally stretch their legs.

9. While I find the reverse camera useful, a sensor would have been much more useful. Our normal habit is to look in the rear view mirror once and then reverse with our eyes on the sides and the sensor always helps.

A question for others : Can a new car come with a slightly mis-aligned steering or is the Jazz steering like that. The car does not pull to while driving or when braked suddenly.
Srinivas C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 09:51   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas C View Post
My wife got a VCVT two days ago.
She finds the car comfortable to drive and is happy with it. Despite being 5'2" she felt the dashboard touching her knees.

I found the car good to drive in city traffic. Since I normally drive a manual Ecosport it was a big change to navigate the stop and go Hyderabad traffic.

But I notice a few things that mar the experience:
1. When I rest my left foot on the dead pedal, my leg gets pressed by the edge of the center console. The Ecosport has a (1) taller wall for the console and so the left leg rests comfortably against it, and, (2) is inclined slightly away from the leg and allows the leg to rest at an outward angle.

This was indicated by Suhas in his Official Review too (point # 5) "In this image, you can tell how the Jazz' center console tilts toward the driver:"

2. The dashboard touches my knee when the seat is in a comfortable position. The Ecosport's dashboard at that position is grooved inside semi-circularly.

3. 5-6 hours of driving in my Ecosport never hurt my back. The Jazz seat hurts the shoulder.

I guess Ford's has better ergonomic expertise

3. Noise level from the road is quite obvious. On the Hyderabad ORR, they have started relaying the road. On these stretches, the car is very silent. But on the older stretch, the noise is quite apparent.

4. There is a constant "motor rolling" sound. I assume it is the auto transmission. Does this reduce after 2-3 services?

5. I did not experience the rubber band effect.

6. I tried the S mode on the highway but it makes no difference. I assume it is required only for slopes. It did not create the thrust that a manual car creates when overtaking.

7. Armrest is a real miss for those used to it.

8. The passenger side foot well has a raised area under the seat. I believe women tend to keep their feet closer to the seat and so may find it uncomfortable. Men normally stretch their legs.

9. While I find the reverse camera useful, a sensor would have been much more useful. Our normal habit is to look in the rear view mirror once and then reverse with our eyes on the sides and the sensor always helps.

A question for others : Can a new car come with a slightly mis-aligned steering or is the Jazz steering like that. The car does not pull to while driving or when braked suddenly.
Dear Srinivas C,

First - congratulations on your new acquisition! I am sure both of you are going to enjoy the experience.
Second - Thank you for putting this beautiful writeup on my thread. It would have fitted even better in Suhas's thread! I am honored!! Knowing Suhas from his thread, I am sure he will not take offense!

Let me try to respond to your points to the best of my ability.

1. I am not sure - but very vaguely I remember that the same thing happened to me in the first few days of my Jazz. Coming from City I too noticed this difference. However, since I have not noticed it again, I guess the issue was just habit based. Not a deal breaker.

2. Same as point 1.

3. I have driven 5+ hours multiple times and never faced this issue. Maybe you have not yet found the most comfortable seat setting.

4. I have found that the 'typical' rpm for the car went on reducing after each free servicing. I do not know if this was 'engineered' or just 'incidental'! Now the car is super silent. It has done about 20,000 km.

5. Even I have not experienced the rubber band effect. But to be honest, I am a very sedate driver so ... I may be the wrong person to judge this.

6. The S mode makes a huge difference. However, I would suggest that you wait for the first service and then try again.

7. I went for the 16k armrest. It is lovely.

8. No body has reported this issue in the family. I have four adult ladies who have occupied these seats for long durations. Heights varying from 5' 2" to 5' 10". The rear seats are immensely comfortable. The only regret that I have is the absence of adjustable head rests. Not that anybody has complained!!

9. I agree with you totally. I had the dealer fit the reverse sensor ever before I took possession of the car.

I did not understand "A question for others : Can a new car come with a slightly mis-aligned steering or is the Jazz steering like that. The car does not pull to while driving or when braked suddenly." I have not faced any misalignment issues. I had tested 2 different test vehicles. So, from driving experience of 3 Jazz CVTs I can say that the alignment is good. I have tested 'drift' during smooth highway driving and 'drift' during braking. Both no issues. As a habit I have been doing this for all my cars regularly. Maybe you need to report the issue. It is easy to fix.

Please feel free to raise any points. I am more than willing to share my experiences.

Happy New Year.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Old 12th January 2018, 07:56   #195
BHPian

I have one observation that due to the creep feature sometimes I have to press the break pedal more than a normal transmission at 2nd gear speeds ( 10-30 km/hr). Can you share your experiences ? It sometimes amount to awkward situation where you have to press the break pedal further to avoid hitting the guy at the front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks