Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2015, 18:15   #31
BHPian

Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Hello,

A quick query - Were any bolts used to secure the OEM armrest or was it a direct fit into the cubby holes around the handbrake area?

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Old 5th December 2015, 18:39   #32
BHPian

MetalBuff,
I am not sure but I think some solid bolts were fitted. The armrest is solidly rigid.
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 23:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I am starting my first thread.

Mods and others - please feel free to correct me if I am missing something. I will offer my apologies in advance and also offer my thanks in advance here only!

My plan is to present my experience in following way:
  1. Why I decided to change from my Honda City ZX VTEC 2006
  2. How the search took place
  3. How the deal was done
  4. My purchase and delivery experience
  5. My ownership experience (in stages as the car and I live together
First of all many many congratulations Mahajan Sir on getting the Jazz CVT. Kudos for the awesome review, have rated it "five stars". Very well written, goes to show your love and passion for the cars that you have owned. Whoever have owned the "Dolphin" shaped Honda City swear by it. That car ages very gracefully and your's was no different.

The time and efforts that you have spent on zeroing on the Jazz is really mind boggling. But when you do so much of research and homework, you can hardly ever go wrong with your choice.

Looking forward to regular updates on this thread and wishing you a very happy ownership and thousands of trouble-free miles with your Jazz.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 10:05   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
First of all many many congratulations Mahajan Sir on getting the Jazz CVT. Kudos for the awesome review, have rated it "five stars". Very well written, goes to show your love and passion for the cars that you have owned. Whoever have owned the "Dolphin" shaped Honda City swear by it. That car ages very gracefully and your's was no different.

The time and efforts that you have spent on zeroing on the Jazz is really mind boggling. But when you do so much of research and homework, you can hardly ever go wrong with your choice.

Looking forward to regular updates on this thread and wishing you a very happy ownership and thousands of trouble-free miles with your Jazz.
Dear AutoIndian,

I have been following your thread on your tank. I have also gone through your thread on the Pre-owned Innova. I have also seen your responses in many threads. After having seen the quality of work in your reviews, I am honored by your praise! Thank you.

You are right about the City. It was really hard to part with it.

About the R&D done by me, I have to say that most of my career has been in R&D - starting in 1985! This is just a habit. However, from past experiences, it still does not mean that the decision is always right. There can always be 'surprises'. I am praying that there will be no surprises.

I plan to keep updating my thread. Let us see how much time I am able to take out.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Old 7th December 2015, 10:21   #35
BHPian

Mahajan Sir first of all a hearty congratulations on getting your Jazz CVT. Second of all what a detailed and crisp review.

I have been in the market for an automatic for my dad but never considered the Jazz until coming across your review. Hopefully it (Jazz V CVT) will be finalized for my dad as i spoke to him about it and he candidly (as mom and sister are hell bent on getting a sedan) admitted that he likes the Jazz too.

And the next best thing is that we belong to the same city (mandal apla abhari ahe,puneietes will understand it) so that i will be able to bother you with any query i have,if at all i have one!

Thank you!
rosaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 17:30   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Mahajan Sir first of all a hearty congratulations on getting your Jazz CVT. Second of all what a detailed and crisp review.

I have been in the market for an automatic for my dad but never considered the Jazz until coming across your review. Hopefully it (Jazz V CVT) will be finalized for my dad as i spoke to him about it and he candidly (as mom and sister are hell bent on getting a sedan) admitted that he likes the Jazz too.

And the next best thing is that we belong to the same city (mandal apla abhari ahe,puneietes will understand it) so that i will be able to bother you with any query i have,if at all i have one!

Thank you!
Dear rosaf,

Best of luck on taking a fast decision.

Technically, Jazz is not a sedan! It is a hatchback. None-the-less, after coming from a City, I can say that it definitely feels like a sedan inside. And that is where it counts!

I am a proper khadus Puneri - fully in Pune since my grandfathers-grandfathers time (since before the British came to Pune). After you have got your Jazz in your hand, let us meet up - with families.

Girish Mahajan
Old 7th December 2015, 18:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Dear rosaf,

I am a proper khadus Puneri - fully in Pune since my grandfathers-grandfathers time (since before the British came to Pune). After you have got your Jazz in your hand, let us meet up - with families.

Girish Mahajan

I am already staring to know you well. And yes the pleasure would be all mine whenever we meet up.
rosaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 23:27   #38
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride! Nicely written ownership report and was interesting to read. Wishing you many happy miles. Do keep updating the thread with your experiences.
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 17:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Congrats on your new ride! Nicely written ownership report and was interesting to read. Wishing you many happy miles. Do keep updating the thread with your experiences.
Dear praveen_v,

Thank you so much!

I am quite busy normally and I find it hard to keep updating here on a timely basis. See how long it has taken me to respond to you!

Anyway, THE PLAN is to keep updating this thread on a regular basis. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The latest update:

Did a Mira Road (Mumbai) to Pune trip on 09 Dec 2015.

The MID at the end of the trip:

Note: photos taken on 11 Dec 2015 in the morning - after giving the Jazz a 2 night rest

Total distance covered as of now 1666 km. Note: car no is 0166

My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)-20151211_103713-small.jpg

The RANGE is still 210 km. Using the figures of when I started and the distance to be traveled, this should have been 237 km. This means that I 'lost' 27 km on the Mumbai-Pune drive as compared to the average performance till then!

My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)-20151211_103718-small.jpg

Trip A is Mira Road office to Pune residence. 164.5 km and FE 17.6 kmpl. Not bad at all! You have to take into account that I climbed from 12 feet above MSL to 2100+ feet above MSL and then came down to 1850 feet above MSL.

My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)-20151211_103722-small.jpg

Trip B is Pune-Mira Road-Pune including local traveling in Mumbai. A total of 394.7 km at an average FE of 15.8 kmpl! I am more than happy.

My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)-20151211_103725-small.jpg

Because of so many comments on TBHP about the S mode, I had tried the S mode while climbing the Khandala Ghat. It was fun! I saw a significantly lower instantaneous FE. On the whole, I felt that D and S modes are both very good. It depends on what you plan to do - sprint or commute.

On another topic, I remember someone asking about the paddle shifts. I tried using the paddle shifts a few times. It works flawlessly.

In the D mode it is just great for a quick overtake. However, I found that the in-built intelligence of the CVT is also quite good. If I press the accelerator at the right speed and travel, then the car really accelerates fast! In most cases I found that to be enough.

In the S mode, the normal pickup is itself so increased that you rarely need the toggles. However, using the toggles, I could get even more pickup!

Now, I wonder, if I am happy with the normal D mode pickup, and I feel that S mode is FAST, the increased S mode is just an over kill - or at the most a super ego booster!!

In the D mode, the manually set gear comes back to D in just a few seconds. In the S mode, it moves between S1~S7 keeping the car in a real peppy mode - real intelligently.

After the Test Drives, I had opted for the V version of CVT mainly for the sake of the paddle shifters. And here I am saying that they are not required! What I mean is that 90+% of the time they are not required. When required, they work just fantastically!

Thanks for reading so much!

Take care. Drive safely.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 20:25   #40
BHPian

An update:

Completed 1600 km!

Got petrol filled. Interesting observations:

Volume 30.1 lt
km since last full tank 428 km
FE by tank full method = 428/30.1 = 14.2 kmpl
FE by MID = 15.2 kmpl.

For the first time I got a difference between the two.
This time the car spent more time idling - this may have produced an error. Not that it is significant - just curious.

Note: in my previous experience with the City, even after using the same petrol pump, same dispensing unit, the same auto-off, the average from fill to fill seemed to oscillate. I got the feeling that the auto-cut-off worked with slight variation. So, next fill will be interesting!

Girish Mahajan
Old 13th December 2015, 23:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Dear praveen_v,
The latest update:

Did a Mira Road (Mumbai) to Pune trip on 09 Dec 2015.

The MID at the end of the trip:
That is quite a comprehensive update. Thanks for the detailed MID photos and updates. The 1.2Vtec seems to be a frugal engine with pretty good FE figures!

Quote:
An update:

Completed 1600 km!

Got petrol filled. Interesting observations:

Volume 30.1 lt
km since last full tank 428 km
FE by tank full method = 428/30.1 = 14.2 kmpl
FE by MID = 15.2 kmpl.

For the first time I got a difference between the two.
This time the car spent more time idling - this may have produced an error. Not that it is significant - just curious.
I think even the tank to tank is not exactly the same between two refills. It could depend on a no.of factors including the external temperature while filling, the depth to which the Fuel nozzle was inserted etc. You can watch this over a few tankfulls and check if there are any deviations.

By the way the tank-to-tank FE is fully within city or a mix of city and highway?
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 12:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
That is quite a comprehensive update. Thanks for the detailed MID photos and updates. The 1.2Vtec seems to be a frugal engine with pretty good FE figures!

I think even the tank to tank is not exactly the same between two refills. It could depend on a no.of factors including the external temperature while filling, the depth to which the Fuel nozzle was inserted etc. You can watch this over a few tankfulls and check if there are any deviations.

By the way the tank-to-tank FE is fully within city or a mix of city and highway?
Dear praveen_v,

Thank you for calling the update 'comprehensive'! I thought I had made it too short.

Yes - the 1.2 VTEC + CVT combination is indeed frugal.

You are right about the reliability and repeat-ability of the tank-full to tank-full method. I shall watch for the next few times. I am sure there will be more clarity with time.

This tank-to-tank was about 165 km x 2 trips (Pune-Mumbai-Pune) - which is like 70~80% highway type roads and the balance is in slow traffic short trips.

On the highway, the instantaneous FE moves between 24 and 27 kmpl most of the times. It moves between 30 and 50 for short durations! If this happens for a km or more at a time - ECSTASY!

Today, I did Pune-Mira Road with FE of 20.7 kmpl on the MID.
Old 13th January 2016, 11:18   #43
BHPian

Dear Team-BHPians,

I have crossed 3000 km in the last week. I expect the car to to go for its second service around 23 Jan 2016.
One Mumbai-Nashik-Mumbai trip planned on 16 Jan 2016 - official work. I am looking forward to it. My last trip in my Honda City was good. The road are good. The traffic around Thane/Kalyan area is a question mark.
I expect the Nashik journey to be smooth. Since I am coming back in the evening, I expect to face traffic issues. Let us see.

I will keep this updated.

Girish Mahajan
Old 15th January 2016, 10:59   #44
BHPian

Dear Mahajan Sir

Let me first tell you that I am a fan of this thread and about your comprehensive analysis about zeroing-in on Jazz. I understand by your posts that you are a very mature driver and you drive by keeping in mind the engine's response system.

However, there might be people like me, who have to drive 40-45 kms every day to office and back (very little highway driving except occasional trips) AND who may also want a lot of pep & fun in their drive. Will a Jazz appeal to the likes? Honestly, I wasn't impressed by the Jazz test drive mule & even the City appeared extremely sedate (so much so that I had the urge to just stop on the road and walk out of it). Probably appears from your posts that either I was...

a) too quick to judge
b) the test mule was not upto the mark

I think I need to retake a test drive but in the interim, if you could share your valued opinion on the pep/fun part that I am looking for and offer pointers as to how to extract it from an automatic (I am new to automatics), then I could take a test drive accordingly keeping in mind your pointers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th January 2016, 13:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post
Dear Mahajan Sir

Let me first tell you that I am a fan of this thread and about your comprehensive analysis about zeroing-in on Jazz. I understand by your posts that you are a very mature driver and you drive by keeping in mind the engine's response system.

However, there might be people like me, who have to drive 40-45 kms every day to office and back (very little highway driving except occasional trips) AND who may also want a lot of pep & fun in their drive. Will a Jazz appeal to the likes? Honestly, I wasn't impressed by the Jazz test drive mule & even the City appeared extremely sedate (so much so that I had the urge to just stop on the road and walk out of it). Probably appears from your posts that either I was...

a) too quick to judge
b) the test mule was not upto the mark

I think I need to retake a test drive but in the interim, if you could share your valued opinion on the pep/fun part that I am looking for and offer pointers as to how to extract it from an automatic (I am new to automatics), then I could take a test drive accordingly keeping in mind your pointers.

Thanks in advance.
Dear toofanwheels,

Thanks for the nice words. I am normally a very sedate driver and follow all rules. Once in a while, I drive at high speeds - without crossing the speed limits - just pushing it - you know!

For personal work I have done 70~90 km in city traffic a hand full of times. I do about 160~170 km drives 4~6 times a week. I drive in city conditions, in highway conditions and I have also driven on severe slope conditions. The only place where I found the automatic Jazz inadequate was when I was on highway and the other vehicles are being driven fast and rash! That is the only time I found the pickup in D mode to be lacking. At that time, S-mode is useful.

So, if I am climbing (or for that matter - descending) a steep slope (like Khandala Ghat or Wani Ghat) and I come across a sharp turn and I know I am going to get only a small window to overtake the truck in front, then I have used the toggle to change to lower gear equivalent. Even then I have not needed the S mode! Mind you - we were four adults and luggage.

In summary, if you want a racing car, then don't take Jazz CVT! In traffic conditions, 40~50 km - you will love the Jazz CVT. It has a mind of its own - somehow it detects when you need pickup! You have to un-learn your manual transmission skills. In the CVT you have to press the accelerator slowly to get maximum pickup. Pressing it hard does - precisely - nothing! Except a wroom sound! Ha Ha Ha Ha..

In my opinion, you cannot have a traffic situation and also pep/fun. You would surely land up with a high possibility of an accident! Heaven forbid!!

I have given 'fun rides' to friends and colleagues. All of them were pretty impressed with the performance.

As you are in Mumbai, we can plan a physical meet and you can see for yourself. Could you PM me your area? You can even PM your mobile number to me... we can at least talk one-on-one!

Just as a reference, I have driven the Polo TSI - the automatic. I just loved the pickup. It is far superior to the Jazz CVT. The only issue is that for our family of tall people, the place in the back is totally inadequate. Other than that I have not seen any other car which was automatic hatch with significantly more pickup.

I would suggest that you decide what is more priority to you - easy driving in traffic or peppy driving. Then - choose Jazz or Polo or something else!

Note: the newly launched Baleno CVT may be another good option. I have not driven it and cannot comment. On paper it looks good.

Oh! I forgot to comment about the City. I have driven the Honda City VX CVT during a Test Drive only. I did not check its pickup. I tested it in the bylanes of Borivali. I found as if I was in a plane! The driving was sooooo smooth! My conclusion - just ideal for city driving. Having owned a older model of City I can say that it's 'effective' pickup on the highway is just fantastic. Just downshift and fly off! I am assuming that the new automatic version still has it. However, I leave it to the others with more exposure to comment. If I am wrong, please accept my apologies in advance.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed