Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2006, 23:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Suman, better pray that you don't have a flat tyre, or invest in a powered jack, because the jack, and the rod are both HORRIBLY designed. Spent an hour and a half on the highway scratching my head until a truck driver came to the rescue. He also cribbed about the bad design.
Old 26th November 2006, 00:21   #32
BANNED

Even the Tata estate had this problem.

Their jacks and rods are not just enough!
Old 26th November 2006, 09:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Jeez, thanks for the tip mate, sounds terrible! Any idea what the cost of a power jack would be?

I'm having some other issues at the moment, will update when resolved.
Old 27th November 2006, 18:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

that's one reason i used to carry a hydraulic jack in all my safaris.. picked them up for 3k abt 4 years back... must be far cheaper now.

they are the same ones as the jacks used by tyre shop people.
Old 1st December 2006, 15:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

2500 kms update

The beast has crossed the 2,500 kms mark in style - as on date its done close to 2,750 kms. I'm more & more amazed by this vehicle as the days go by - I'd seriously not expected it to be so comfortable, nor had I expected that driving it would be such a breeze. The engine's settling in well & one of my colleagues recently complimented on the lack of high noise levels & vibration considering that it was a diesel behemoth.

Now we come to an interesting story (and you'll pardon me if it becomes too long & boring....) - post the running-in period of 1,500 kms, I immediately floored the pedal and was surprised to feel a vibration (from beneath the car) when I exceeded 110 kmph. And it didn't go away but stayed on with increased speed.

So off I went to the workshop at 1,700 odd kms (I'd gone to pick up the permanent number plate actually), advisor checked it out, felt the vibration & said that it was (possibly) a problem with the Differential. I was asked to leave the car there till the next evening. To cut a long story short, next evening was thereafter extended by "another day or two". I was going out of the country so I left it with them after all sorts of assurances from the Works Manager, the GM (Workshop) & the Advisor that all would be attended to in my absence.

Car was with them for five full days (with me making numerous calls from overseas to check status & gradually coming to the conclusion that the b****rs had no clue/no intentions & were just trying to get it off their backs). At the end of that the advisor called me & told me that he'd checked it out for himself and the vibration was GONE COMPLETELY - and they neither had to change the differential, nor the propellor shaft, just tightened some nuts & bolts "here & there" on the body & below had got rid of the issue!

Sceptical me wasn't convinced but I asked my driver to pick up the car the day before I returned. On return, off to school last Friday to drop the kids early morning.....on the highway, hit 110 & lo & behold, there was the vibration EXACTLY like it had been! The b****rs had kept my car for 5 days, driven 90 kms odd, probably freaked over the weekend in the car and then returned it without correcting this major problem (other minor rattles etc had been fixed)! So I was like REAL MAD & decided to follow the practice made popular by our DBHPian Steeroid - shot off an e-mail to Tata customer support at 5.30 in the evening, copying in a couple of others including their Head of Corporate Communications!

9.30 am the next day I get a call from the Customer Service Manager from the dealer workshop profusely apologetic & begging me to go down for 10 minutes so that he & the Senior Works Manager could drive the vehicle & diagnose the issue. Obviously, he had no answers when I bombarded him as to why this hadn't been done when the car was there for 5 days!!!

Off I went on Saturday evening, the Senior Works Manager was a very competent gentleman, he drove it on the highway & diagnosed it as a case of the propellor shaft being defective. This was corroborated the next morning by them fixing a new Propellor shaft from a new TD vehicle whereby there were no vibrations at all - we went up to 130 kmph.

The part was indented & I was requested to take the car back to them thereafter (yesterday) and it was replaced under warranty. Also replaced under warranty was the left side headlamp assembly - the head-beam was lighting up the skies instead of the road ahead, the adjuster was faulty so they changed it. The CSM & Sr WM were extremely apologetic about what had happened earlier & in any case I'd decided to let it ride since the job was done real quick once they got involved.

Well, as you can imagine, I was on the edge for a few days but have now let out my breath & relaxed once again! Hit 140 kmph on the speedo on the highway this morning (don't know what that translates to post speedo error) and ran out of road but it did feel like it could go more (Steer, Nitin, Dr Fate - I'm wondering if the earlier restriction of 130 has been lifted or perhaps the engine now peaks at a higher speed cos the tacho still had some way to go to 3k even at this speed).

And the beauty about all this is that -

(a) I didn't realize I was going so fast till I saw the speedo (was busy chasing an Endeavour ) and
(b) the vehicle really feels ROCK SOLID at this speed. Someone mentioned they were having trouble with the steering showing a lack of "feel" but I've got over that now (I know it happened during the first test drive this year, steering felt weird) - in fact it feels firmly planted at these speeds.

I've posted about the FE earlier, one more fill has given 9.2 kmpl but that included the 5 day workshop stay so I'm discounting it.

Its a great feeling being "up there" & looking down on the cars in general & also being able to take the extreme left lane and cut across traffic pile-ups disdainfully.....of course, as I've said before this baby prefers to cruise along at 100 kmph plus rather than chug along at 20 kmph but all in all, takes the rough & the smooth with aplomb.

Next on the charts though I don't know when - a trip up to the snows or the slush, that will probably only materialize around Feb-March next year. I think there's a service due at 5k as well (though oil change is only at 10k) - only positive thing is, with this e-mail complaint, they are likely to stand up & give undivided attention henceforth when the beast steps into their compound!

Few other points -

1) Didn't do an oil change at 1,500 kms they said there was no need to, what with the Multigrade engine oil being used these days
2) Rajeev (Rajismine), they reconfirmed to me that October Dicors have come with the new air cleaner element so no retrofit is necessary. Will check this out at the next service though
3) On weekends, when I step into the Fiesta, it feels like one of the lightest & quickest cars on earth!! And I have difficulty for the first 5 minutes or so adjusting to the clutch & Steering, resulting in one wheelspin after the other .....and yes, I feel that something's not right since the noise levels are like zero!
4) Missed the beast when I had to leave it in the workshop for a couple of days (Sob-sob......) & even when I was out of the country, was missing the early morning highway cruises!

All in all, a good ownership experience so far, I'd rate it a 7 out of 10, will definitely improve as we trundle along!

Last edited by suman : 1st December 2006 at 15:38.
Old 1st December 2006, 16:39   #36
BANNED

Poor Fiesta! Must be feeling very unloved. Perhaps you'd like to send it down to Bombay for some TLC?
Old 1st December 2006, 16:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
Poor Fiesta! Must be feeling very unloved. Perhaps you'd like to send it down to Bombay for some TLC?
Hey Boom, you know what? That might be one good idea .......
Old 1st December 2006, 17:21   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Suman, glad that you are able to enjoy with the Safari, and to know that things are in control.

A couple of points abt your post:
1. Speedo Error: Does your speedometer have the word "Ratio 1:0.xxx" written there? If yes, IMHO, then there is no speedo error. You would need to calculate the actual speed vs speed shown, using this ratio.
eg: My Victa shows a ratio of 1:0.935. So basically my speedo is calibrated to read the speed with an excess of 7%.

2. Oil Change: When you do get an oil change done at 10K, please, do check the oil before you take delivery of the vehicle. This point goes for every one else too.
The only time one could make sure, easily, if the oil has been changed, is when taking delivery, when the engine has not run [much] after the oil change. They could have postponed the oil-change if they felt the viscosity etc were still good.

Note: Guys, pls correct me if I am wrong the 2nd point above. And it is not about any specific service station / manufacturer.

Is your FE with or without a/c? Just to know the conditions for that FE. How is the behaviour with different brands of diesel ?
Old 1st December 2006, 17:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
2. Oil Change: When you do get an oil change done at 10K, please, do check the oil before you take delivery of the vehicle. This point goes for every one else too.

Note: Guys, pls correct me if I am wrong the 2nd point above. And it is not about any specific service station / manufacturer.
No Condor you're bang on target. I too have been hearing horror stories for multiple brands including Skoda & Tata about Oil changes being charged to the bill but not being performed. It is very vital that either we get the Oil change performed in our presence or check the Oil condition before taking delivery.
Old 1st December 2006, 17:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Speedo Error: Does your speedometer have the word "Ratio 1:0.xxx" written there? If yes, IMHO, then there is no speedo error. You would need to calculate the actual speed vs speed shown, using this ratio.
eg: My Victa shows a ratio of 1:0.935. So basically my speedo is calibrated to read the speed with an excess of 7%.
Hey thanks Condor, this is very useful information, will check this out......

Quote:
Is your FE with or without a/c? Just to know the conditions for that FE. How is the behaviour with different brands of diesel ?
My first three fills were with Indianoil (Xtra mile right?), returning 9.6-9.7, the next couple were with Bharat Petroleum (Hi Speed), 9.4 & 9.2 last time (which I'm discounting because it was at the workshop). Will top up again this evening (with Hi Speed) so will know what the situation is, this time around. The first four fills have been with 100% AC, the last one was with part AC, this time around will be without AC since temperatures here have been dipping steadily & by the time I get into work & when I leave, don 't need the AC (early morning school runs don't require in any case except for a couple of minutes of de-misting if/when required).
Old 1st December 2006, 17:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
Perhaps you'd like to send it down to Bombay for some TLC?
TLC stands for ?
Old 1st December 2006, 17:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
TLC stands for ?
Tender Loving Care!!
Old 1st December 2006, 18:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

IMHO .. ? can anybody help..
Old 1st December 2006, 18:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
IMHO .. ? can anybody help..
In My Humble Opinion! Any more??
Old 2nd December 2006, 13:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Good to see you enjoying yourselves with the beast, Suman. Its a totally different experience altogether - one thats very addictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Hit 140 kmph on the speedo on the highway this morning (don't know what that translates to post speedo error) and ran out of road but it did feel like it could go more (Steer, Nitin, Dr Fate - I'm wondering if the earlier restriction of 130 has been lifted or perhaps the engine now peaks at a higher speed cos the tacho still had some way to go to 3k even at this speed).
Our vehicles go upto an indicated 150 (real 140) too and then the speedo refuses to move, as does the tacho. Dont be misled by the fact that the Tacho is still at around 2,300 and seem to have about 700 rpm more to go - its electronically (and mechanically) controlled for each gear and tops out at 2,300 rpm for 5th. No chance of making it go faster unless Dr Fate tells us how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
(a) I didn't realize I was going so fast till I saw the speedo (was busy chasing an Endeavour ) and
(b) the vehicle really feels ROCK SOLID at this speed. Someone mentioned they were having trouble with the steering showing a lack of "feel" but I've got over that now (I know it happened during the first test drive this year, steering felt weird) - in fact it feels firmly planted at these speeds.
Post 100 the Dicor loses all its steering play and become ROCK SOLID - it really feels like it can take MUCH higher speeds comfortably. Thats why its such a great cruiser. Nothing comes close - its so unflappable at 140 that you're overtaking people who are doing the same speed furiously, gripping their steering wheels tight while you're relaxed and lounging in your big chair....

My Dicor has lost its steering play at lower speeds too, thanks to a Totally Psyched Out suspension job. Takes corners at very high speeds and generally feels more like a car...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks