Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:16   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Congratulations on your new wheels. VAG cars don't need underbody treatment.
Source: I own a Polo, and have confirmed the same with THREE 3M Car Care centres.

Are you sure about this? My 2013 Polo has TWO trip meters, and I get all the details that you have mentioned for each one. It also shows instantaneous FE. In fact I think the MID on VAG cars is one of the MOST informative.
Thanks TheLizardKing
No underbody treatment needed! that's a good bit of news.

I didn't see two trip meters for sure. All other parameters, there were two options (a small 1 and 2 displayed which could be toggled from the steering wheel buttons) but it didn't look like it was related to the trip-meter as per my rough estimates. If it is really present, it is good. But still the matter of fact is that it is not very easy to understand. Or maybe I'm used to the clearly understandable MID in the Punto. If it is really there,then I need to spend more time to get used to this.
I opened the owner's manual and it is a common manual for 5 to 6 cars selling in India and other low cost countries. This makes it really confusing and hard to understand. I put it away after 5 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Welcome to the GT Club Hemant.

The GT TSI is really a special machine, and if ONLY VW could improve their spares inventory, this would have been a tough hatch to surpass. After sales have improved in the recent times, but it is almost negligible considering the kinda ground they must make to catch up with the Maruti/Hyundai.
Thanks Vik0728
As far as sales and service, with the experience of my car, previously my Bro-in-law's and a colleague's car which I saw. VW have a long way to go. They have to first catch up with Fiat which is know to be bad but which I didn't experience (I'm not exaggerating at all). But with their cars selling in decent numbers, VW will hopefully improve.
Quote:
P.S - When are we planning a GT Photoshoot?
In fact I wanted to have it during the TBHP meet in January but couldn't make it on that particular day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Congrats on welcoming two new members to your family. However, unlike a father who would refrain from choosing one particular offspring as his favourite, your writeup unambiguously points out which of the two cars is the apple of your eye!
I love my cars and take good care of them. But I still know that they are machines after all and I'm the owner and not the father

Quote:
Going the automatic way in Bengaluru is a wise decision. Hope the AMT and DSG will serve you long and well.
True that. I'm more calm and less tired even after driving in bad traffic (although I don't drive much in traffic because I don't use the ORR)

Quote:
Having read about your Ferrari, I am curious about the subtle but tasteful mods that you will be doing to the GT TSI.
With people like Gannu_1 frankmehta and robimahanta, its going to be a tough to stand out. I've not set any definite plans for now but I'll do things in my own capacity and time

Quote:
PS: The photo of Alto with rocks in the boot reminded me of this:
The stones were in the boot for 15 minutes may be. so I guess it's ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Could you please share how much time it took bring out the review??
Thanks abhinav.s. I wrote the first paragraph in January first week. But after that the weekends were busy for some or the other reason (travelling, finishing home chores) and I couldn't spend time. but the last week, I spent around 4 hours a day; everyday after office till dinner and a little bit after that. In total, I would've spent roughly 30 hours on this!

This reminds me of this whatsapp joke I received yesterday
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-3214482._sx540_.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Surprised that the GT TSI does not have adjustable seat belts. I seem to recall it having it initially. Or it may have been only for the Vento.

Wish you all the best.
Thanks Rajeevraj, I checked in the TBHP review too and it didn't have

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hemanth - Congratulations on the double car dhamaka,
I'm at a loss of words for Maruti here - Vxi(O) should be treated like the top trim for the Alto K10 and not having fog lamps and a remote is pathetic - even the WagonR/Celerio type key with built-in remote is now almost standard in most Maruti cars so why didn't they just include that ?
Thanks NPV,
VXI (O) in the manual version has got fog lamps, and key-remote. it's only the VXI (O) AMT version that doesn't get it. Even I fail to understand why!
Quote:
*Could you share the details of the reverse sensor you chose for the Alto K10 ?
IT was from the dealer itself and hence I didn't have too many choices. only one with display(which I chose because it was 5k) and other one was with just the beeps. I also thougt that I can get it from an outside accessory shop, but then, there were no other useful accessories in the dealership's list to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Good review Hemanth, congratulations, was waiting for this since a long time !
May be you should go for all black alloy wheels and a black roof as well for your Polo.
How have the tyres held up till now? I ask this specifically because, you are driving a lot on highways at good speed, so keep an eye on them. Enjoy the car and wish you safe miles ahead.
Thanks MCR, Black alloys will look good for sure. Black roof has become so common these days. That's why I'm thinking a lot before doing it. It's just 5K Kms so tyres are as good as new. But anyway, I'll keep an eye on them, Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac View Post
Since I have all the polo owners in this thread, has any body heard of a facelift for GT TSI for 2017? We booked GT TSI in September and still hasn't received a confirmed date when we will get to pick up the car. Dealer keeps on saying that there is going to be a model change for 2017 and that's the delay. I am not sure how much of that is true. Since my Dad just had a surgery and won't be able to drive the car for couple of months, I thought we will just as well play the waiting game. But does anybody know?
It's only the 16" wheels that are changed in the 2017 MY Polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Many congrats on getting two cars at same time ! I was expecting you to upgrade to the Abarth, but the GT TSI is also a good car. VW scores over the Abarth in being more practical, autobox, cruise control, slightly better interior and technology loaded to the grills.

I know it's tough to upgrade from a Punto, but I'm sure the GT TSI will be leaving a nice grin on your face everytime you have a drive!
Thanks blackwasp, I myself was expecting to get an Abarth. But, I believe that we can't be too rigid, we have to adapt ourselves with the changing situations; which is exactly what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
capable of convincing folks around you about your interesting ideas. A rare skill!
Hearty wishes to you.Many Happy miles to your family Hemant!
P.S: I ve bookmarked this article, and will show it to my family, the next time I float some crazy idea. One Life! Cheers!
Convincing is difficult only for the first time . if you succeed in that attempt, people will believe and agree. Thankfully I'm able to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hemanth, curious why you shelved the NCB transfer to the second year. Your Punto is now officially transferred to the new owner right? Then get a photocopy of the new RC from him and present it to your old insurance company and ask for NCB reservation letter. Take the letter and ask for proportionate refund on your new insurance. I presented my NCB letter after 3 months and got the same!
I applied for the Clearance certificate from the current RTO(Bangalore) on 29th of December. But I got it yesterday (March 2nd) evening. It will be presented to the new RTO(Dharwad) next week and Then we have to wait for the new RC.After that the NCB transfer/reservation letter. It's already two months of this new car. Also I didn't know that we could get a refund of the premium already paid I thought we could use the NCB trasfer letter during premium payment. That's why I pushed it to next year. If I can still get a refund, I'll do it for sure.
Sadly, the insurance agents are less helpful in this case and the RTO agents are always looking to milk money.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 3rd March 2017 at 09:27.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
All other parameters, there were two options (a small 1 and 2 displayed which could be toggled from the steering wheel buttons) but it didn't look like it was related to the trip-meter as per my rough estimates.
The small 1 and 2 are EXACTLY that: two trip meters. Trip meter no. 1 resets itself automatically overnight (or after x hours of inactivity - please refer the manual) while trip meter no. 2 has to be manually reset (which is perfect for tank-to-tank measurements). What's more, there is a THIRD trip meter which toggles with the odometer reading, which I use for long-distance trips. Seriously, what more can you ask for from a MID?
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 13:19   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The small 1 and 2 are EXACTLY that: two trip meters. Trip meter no. 1 resets itself automatically overnight (or after x hours of inactivity - please refer the manual) while trip meter no. 2 has to be manually reset (which is perfect for tank-to-tank measurements). What's more, there is a THIRD trip meter which toggles with the odometer reading, which I use for long-distance trips. Seriously, what more can you ask for from a MID?
Thanks.

you are correct in the trip meter 1 is getting reset on its own. so its plain useless IMO. Trip2 I'm not able to understand how to reset. if I find that out, it will be the only trip meter with all other parameters also. the third trip meter that you are talking, that can be seen/reset using the button on the instrument cluster gives only the distance and nothing else.

As I have written, somethings I have to get used to and some things I will find out. But it definitely is not easy to understand. It is also because the Punto MID was really well laid out and easy to understand. And the manual is also not very easy to read too. This weekend I've no other plans and that's when I'll spend more time on the manual and the car.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 13:23   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I applied for the Clearance certificate from the current RTO(Bangalore) on 29th of December. But I got it yesterday (March 2nd) evening. It will be presented to the new RTO(Dharwad) next week and Then we have to wait for the new RC.After that the NCB transfer/reservation letter. It's already two months of this new car. Also I didn't know that we could get a refund of the premium already paid I thought we could use the NCB trasfer letter during premium payment. That's why I pushed it to next year. If I can still get a refund, I'll do it for sure.
Sadly, the insurance agents are less helpful in this case and the RTO agents are always looking to milk money.
Don't involve any intermediary. Just email your new insurance company directly stating that you will receive your NCB letter soon and mention the status of the RTO transfer as on date.

State that you wish to apply the NCB letter pro-rata against your current package. Get it on record and see what they say. Don't accept any phone response. Best of luck!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 13:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

you are correct in the trip meter 1 is getting reset on its own. so its plain useless IMO. Trip2 I'm not able to understand how to reset. if I find that out, it will be the only trip meter with all other parameters also. the third trip meter that you are talking, that can be seen/reset using the button on the instrument cluster gives only the distance and nothing else.

As I have written, somethings I have to get used to and some things I will find out. But it definitely is not easy to understand. It is also because the Punto MID was really well laid out and easy to understand. And the manual is also not very easy to read too. This weekend I've no other plans and that's when I'll spend more time on the manual and the car.
About Trip 1, it is useful to check how much you have driven on a particular day without having to remember to reset it every time you take the car out. Not very useful, except at times.

You can reset Trip 2 by toggling the MID to display the distance on Trip 2 and then long-pressing the small button under the RHS stalk.

The third trip meter is useful for vacation trips and other drives spread out over many days. Reset it to zero at the start of your trip, and when you reach home x days later you know how many kms you have covered. No need to make a note of odometer readings and subtract etc. Having Trip 2 and Trip 3 separate means you can monitor your tank-to-tank measurements and long trip distances at the same time.

Hope this is useful. The VW MID may not very intuitive, but you'll love it once you get the hang of it.

PS: You get all the parameters for Trip 1 that you get for Trip 2.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 3rd March 2017 at 13:42.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:23   #36
BHPian

Congratulations Hemanth!!

Many of us have compared small autos, Alto/Celerio/Kwid/Nano. How about the e2o? Did you consider this electric car?
Horizon85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:42   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon85 View Post
Congratulations Hemanth!!

Many of us have compared small autos, Alto/Celerio/Kwid/Nano. How about the e2o? Did you consider this electric car?
Yes we did think about it for a while. couple of my wife's friends recently purchased used Revas too. Also one of my friends works in e2O plant also which meant that we could get a better price. But then we didn't want a used car and even with a better price, it would've overshot our total budget.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 19:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
WE TWO, OURS TWO
Congratulations on your new acquisitions and welcome to the VW Club. Brilliant & neutral review of both cars and was great to read. The pictures of both cars are simply spectacular. Wishing you many miles of blissful ownership.

Yes, the service experience is what causes people to look away from this wonderful machine, but I guess I'm a bit lucky in that aspect as the ASS here in Mangalore is much better than other places. They are thoroughly professional and have a better attitude. I've completed 3 services (2 inspections & 1 yearly) and few other visits, but have nothing complain about yet (fingers crossed).

Quote:

Things I disliked about the MID:
  • It cannot display date in 24hr format. I’m comfortable with 24h format. But this cluster cannot display that. Seriously!

I guess this and a host of other features can be activated through VCDS coding, the description is available through this thread and .

Quote:
With so many features in the car, I'm surprised they missed out key-less entry and start/stop button. With VW upgrading their models every year, I was thinking that I'll miss this because the 2017 model would be released soon. But as I write this, it looks like the only change is that the wheel size is increased to 16"(the space saver spare size remains the same still). So I'm happy that I haven't missed too much!
Lucky you! Imagine my plight, I bought my Polo in March 2015 - this was the 2014 facelift with flat bottom steering wheel & features. My friend, bought a TDI in December 2015 - by this time they had added cruise control, Turn Indicators on OVRM's & cooled glove box features. Then another close friend bought the TSI a few months back - he got the Touch Screen ICE, Auto dimming mirrors, Auto wipers and all the new features! Why Volkswagen? Why??

Quote:
Thanks.

The Trip Meter 1 usually reset after 2-3hrs of inactivity. This will reset the data pertaining to the period before the inactivity. The Trip Meter 2 resets after 48 hrs (if my memory serves) of inactivity. Both these can be reset manually by long pressing the OK button on the Steering Mounted Control after toggling to the respective Trip Meter on the MID.

The third trip meter will not reset automatically. It can only be done manually as you indicated.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 21:52   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Hope this is useful. The VW MID may not very intuitive, but you'll love it once you get the hang of it.
Thanks, it was helpful. There is no button on the right stack but I found out yesterday evening that the OK button on the streeing wheel will reset the Trip 2

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170303_170020.jpg
This is how My car's right stalk looks like

Today afternoon, I found that the Trip 1 resets after 3 hours(I don't know if it resets for less than that) when I had stopped the car at some shop for 3 hours. Anyway I'm sure after sometime I'll get more comfortable to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
Congratulations on your new acquisitions and welcome to the VW Club. Brilliant & neutral review of both cars and was great to read. The pictures of both cars are simply spectacular. Wishing you many miles of blissful ownership.
Thanks Mahesh Prasad

Yes, the service experience is what causes people to look away from this wonderful machine, but I guess I'm a bit lucky in that aspect as the ASS here in Mangalore is much better than other places. They are thoroughly professional and have a better attitude. I've completed 3 services (2 inspections & 1 yearly) and few other visits, but have nothing complain about yet (fingers crossed). Hopefully my experience is also good. I've my fingers crossed too.

Quote:
I guess this and a host of other features can be activated through VCDS coding, the description is available through this...
If Warranty will not be void, I'll do it. Especially with the DSG, I don't want to lose any cover by doing too many things and if anything happens(touchwood). I'll go through that thread more in detail.

Quote:
Lucky you! Imagine my plight, I bought my Polo in March 2015 - this was the 2014 facelift with flat bottom steering wheel & features. My friend, bought a TDI in December 2015 - by this time they had added cruise control, Turn Indicators on OVRM's & cooled glove box features. Then another close friend bought the TSI a few months back - he got the Touch Screen ICE, Auto dimming mirrors, Auto wipers and all the new features! Why Volkswagen? Why??
I can imagine your frustration. I'm lucky in this aspect.

Quote:
The Trip Meter 1 usually reset after 2-3hrs of inactivity. This will reset the data pertaining to the period before the inactivity. The Trip Meter 2 resets after 48 hrs (if my memory serves) of inactivity. Both these can be reset manually by long pressing the OK button on the Steering Mounted Control after toggling to the respective Trip Meter on the MID.
Thanks for this. I spent some time yesterday evening and today afternoon and figured out couple of things.

Quote:
About Trip 1, it is useful to check how much you have driven on a particular day without having to remember to reset it every time you take the car out. Not very useful, except at times.

You can reset Trip 2 by toggling the MID to display the distance on Trip 2 and then long-pressing the small button under the RHS stalk.

The third trip meter is useful for vacation trips and other drives spread out over many days. Reset it to zero at the start of your trip, and when you reach home x days later you know how many kms you have covered. No need to make a note of odometer readings and subtract etc. Having Trip 2 and Trip 3 separate means you can monitor your tank-to-tank measurements and long trip distances at the same time.

Hope this is useful. The VW MID may not very intuitive, but you'll love it once you get the hang of it.

PS: You get all the parameters for Trip 1 that you get for Trip 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
*Could you share the details of the reverse sensor you chose for the Alto K10 ?
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170304_211422.jpg
RPS

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170304_205237.jpg
LED and distance, more close an obstruction, more LED's light up

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170304_205301.jpg

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170304_205307.jpg
0.5 I found that if I stop here, its very close. Once I stopped at 0.2mtrs and it was scarily close. 0.2 in the Autocop RPS I had in my Punto was equal to 0.5 in this.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 4th March 2017 at 21:54.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 23:16   #40
BHPian

Good review Hemanth. Congrats on your purchases. Wishing you many happy miles ahead. Hope you have two car parkings
Well, One problem you might face when driving the cars would be the interchanged positions of indicators and wiper stalks between The alto and the polo.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 10:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

The lights in the GT were not so good all these days especially the high beam. It was lighting up the same place as the low beam. And in general it was not a nice focused beam. Moreover, the left and right beams was not aligned properly. So I took my car to A1 car care near Lalbagh and got the lights focused. Now the lights are really well focussed. The high beam was raised up too. But now its a little too high. I'll get it down slightly. But Happy with the lights now.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-img20170304wa0033.jpg
Low beam

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-img20170304wa0031.jpg
High beam

Apart from that, took the car to Madhus on Langford road and got the roadforce balancing and wheel alignment done. After 5000kms, both were slightly off and now it's corrected.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-img20170305wa0014.jpg
Balancing

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-img20170305wa0015.jpg
Alignment

I got the wheels filled with nitrogen for the first time. People claim that there are many advantages of Nitrogen but there are many who rubbish those claims too. But in my experience with Nitrogen in my Punto, there was hardly any pressure loss. I have not had to fill/top-up for 3 to 6 months. That's the only reason i have gone for Nitrogen.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 5th March 2017 at 11:05.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 20:04   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
The Trip Meter 2 resets after 48 hrs (if my memory serves) of inactivity.
Trip meter 2 resets itself if the car goes over 99 hours and 59 minutes of driving time OR 9999 km distance. Happened during our trip to Ladakh since we were keeping daily statistics. Trip meter 1 resets after 2 hours of inactivity.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 20:22   #43
BHPian

Congratulations on the new cars and it is in deed a wonderful and detailed informational thread of not just one but two beauties.

Wishing you many more miles on both the cars!
bhaskar.guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 16:54   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Time for some small updates:

The Polo completed 6000 kms on April 1st...No, really.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170401_122632.jpg
6000 in 3 months and 1 week

Recently installed a twin channel Dashcam for the Polo
more on that in this post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ml#post4175018
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 10:51   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Last month end, after a short trip to Yercaud, the GT crossed 7000Kms mark.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-7000_20170429_192505.gif
7000 enjoyable miles

Currently it stands at 7250km. Very soon it will have to be taken to the 6months/7500km checkup.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks