Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:30   #76
BHPian

Re: We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
What I liked about Maruti Suzuki is that while accepting the vehicle, they photos of the vehicle form all sides using a tab.
Hi Hemant,

VW did the same during last service. Instead of the usual way of marking dents/scratches in the job card he took picture of the entire car and contents(boot, glove box, instrument cluster). This is better than the manual checklist which cannot capture everything.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:48   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Its one of those cars which makes you wake up early on a Sunday and go on a long drive. The reverse is also true, a boring car and he probably would have not done so many kilometres with it.
True and that is exactly the message my signature conveys

Quote:
Congrats on the year + 20k km mark. Time just flies by. Great to see you pampering the car as usual.
Thanks. But still this car isn't receiving much pampering. So much so that my wife was surprised and asked me once if I'm alright

Quote:
Seeing your odo, makes me happy - I'm not the only lunatic to drive a petrol hatch when a diesel car would have been far more economical.
Lunatic...Thanks for the compliment
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 12:26   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend, I took the GT to the 5K Interval WA WB at Madhus. Surprisingly the Balancing was perfect. This is even though I had driven over some rough roads last month. Alignment was off by a small margin which was corrected. Since it was a long weekend, the city had less people and hence even Madhus was less crowded. the whole WA and WB exercise took just 45 minutes

One issue I'm facing with it is that of vibrations upon braking from 80kmph or higher. no effect on braking performance however. It is a known problem with the Polo Linked to the Brake Discs wear. Should get it checked.

January saw the car cross 2 milestones-21k and 22k.
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-21000_20180108_173125.jpg
8th January 2018

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-22000_20180130_182349.jpg
30th January 2018

The car's running till date is ~55Kms per day and ~1600Kms per month

Today's refill was the car's 50th visit to the fuel station with the ODO at ~22100Kms. Ignoring today's refill, the vehicle has consumed 1770Ltrs of Petrol. That's an average FE of 12.5Kmpl. 22 Times I've got above avg FE and 27 times below avg with the highest being 16kmpl and lowest being 9.9kmpl
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 13:39   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

On 21st February, roughly 14 months since the purchase,
The GT crossed the 23K mark

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-23000_20180221_182719.jpg
23000 milestones later

Below is the FE graph over this period
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-fe-graph.jpg

A more detailed FE log over 14 months. The blue colored cells are Highway runs
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-fe.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 13:58   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Early this month, a small weekend trip to Sakaleshapura added 600 Kms and the GT crossed 24000Kms...

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-24000_20180311_165433.jpg

...and it reached quarter of a lakh Kms yesterday.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-25000_20180329_191007.jpg.jpeg

Recently, the GT has been giving me shocking FE within city during my home-office-home drive. Maximum of which is an unbelievable...

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180327_182742.jpg

I was planning to get it checked in my next service visit. Something must've been wrong before that I checked with my refuel log that I maintain. According to that, after the last refill I've driven 494Kms till now and still there is half a tank full of petrol still remaining. I don't know what is wrong but I'm not complaining
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 14:08   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I was planning to get it checked in my next service visit. Something must've been wrong before that I checked with my refuel log that I maintain. According to that, after the last refill I've driven 494Kms till now and still there is half a tank full of petrol still remaining. I don't know what is wrong but I'm not complaining
It's actually not that surprising. Modern fuel injected petrols are known to be very fuel efficient if driven with a light foot. (Light being the key word here). Have seen some staggering figures on FB groups.

One request, please don't drive your GT like an MPI. I know you won't do that, but still, you know how a TSI DSG is to be driven right??
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 14:53   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
One request, please don't drive your GT like an MPI. I know you won't do that, but still, you know how a TSI DSG is to be driven right??
Yes I do. If I had to drive like that, I wouldn't have purchased this
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 14:02   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Long time since I updated this thread...
The GT has been going places and crossing milestones without any fuss. The following photo taken at a wedding reception.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180420_213722.jpg
Looks like a bride with glittering jewelry doesn't it?

The vehicle crossed the 26K mark on 28th April.
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180428_085846.jpg

Soon after crossing the 26K mark, it visited Kodaikanal for the summer vacations plus long weekend.
The car performed nicely even in the hills. It's gear selections in the auto mode while coming downhill is impressive.
It also returned unbelievable FE figures. best was in the downhill run where it gave 24kmpl. Overall the trip FE was around 16kmpl where we were cruising in the 100-120 kmph range.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180429_155238.jpg
resting in the hills

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180501_061810.jpg
Morning Mist

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180501_081853.jpg
Unbelieveable FE figures

Kodaikanal trip was a 1000 kms run so it crossed the 27K mark soon after the trip
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180505_162424.jpg

2 weeks back, I got some basic detailing done after more than a year. There were lot of swirl marks and tar marks too. Now it is back to its shining best
Edit: during this, I also got the black "GT TSI" sticker on the rear fender removed.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180518_072056.jpg
Creta on my bonnet

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180512_142732.jpg
Mirror finish

Some random summer photos taken of the car at various places after that

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180512_142226.jpg
Tree arch

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180512_143504.jpg
May flower shade

The GT has a small 700Kms trip coming up this weekend. It was initially unplanned, but a friend's Creta developed some small issues in the last moment. In all probabilities, GT may cross the 28K mark over the weekend.

Well, the usage of the K10 is slowly increasing as well. better is, Wife is getting more confident in driving it. It crossed the 3K mark last week (but it is still far behind )

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180514_194100.jpg

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 18th May 2018 at 14:23.
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 13:41   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The GT has a small 700Kms trip coming up this weekend. It was initially unplanned, but a friend's Creta developed some small issues in the last moment. In all probabilities, GT may cross the 28K mark over the weekend.
This Creta issue was solved so the GT got some rest. So the 28K mark was crossed on 11th June instead of May 19-20 weekend.
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-28000_20180611_080212.jpg

Otherwise it's been running without any issues. As of today it is around 300 shy of 29k Kms. At this speed, i'd have to schedule the 30K service around August end or September. Planning to get it done in the Mysuru road service centre. Any feedback/pointers there?
Old 20th July 2018, 13:29   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

The GT Completed 29000 Kms last weekend
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-29000_20180716_172645.jpg

This milestonee was crossed when I had been to a short drive of 100Kms. During the drive, I passed by a newly made road which was still not open. It was a good opportunity for a photoshoot
One favorite from that and my current wallpaper for my phone is below
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180714_174144.jpg
Wallpaper

As far as the K10 is concerned, it is slowly picking us speed. It crossed the 5K mark last week. it recently got it's first scar. My wife didn't spot a protruding tree branch stone while reversing. it's not a big one so have left it as it is

Otherwise both cars are running smoothly without any issues.
Old 20th July 2018, 14:40   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The GT Completed 29000 Kms last weekend
Curious to know the story/reason behind the 4.0km/l figure .
Attached Thumbnails
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-img_20180720_143549.jpg  

Old 20th July 2018, 16:01   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Curious to know the story/reason behind the 4.0km/l figure .
The entire day the car was parked at office with the ODO at 28999. In the evening, the stupid Trip meter had reset!
Our office gate is on a busy main road and it is not very easy to join. That day I had to wait for at least 5mins to join the main road. Later it was a slow moving traffic for a Km at least. The car crossed the 29000 mark and my colleague in the passenger took this photo. The waiting and slow moving traffic is the reason behind the 4Kmpl figure.
Also since My colleague took this photo and I was driving, you see that it is in D3. Most of the times, I stop the car for taking these milestone pictures myself. So it'll be in N,P or D1. But in some cases like this, where a co-passenger takes pictures, it'll be in other gears.
Old 21st July 2018, 00:41   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Wallpaper
Hi Hemanth,

Could you please tell us about the sticker/mount on driver side of windshield. Is this used to mount action camera like gopro or something else?

Regards.
Old 8th August 2018, 15:32   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Time for a major update- The 30K Kms or 2Years periodic maintenance service:
The car has completed the 30K service on 3rd August at an ODO reading of 29871 kms and also crossed the 30K mark yesterday.

I planned to give the car for it's 30K/2Yr service on a weekday and hence took the appointment for 3rd of August. The appointment was taken at the VW Palacecross dealership on Mysore road, Bangalore.
The car was at 29871 Kms when I took it there. Mine was the second car of the day and soon an SA was allotted. He noted down all details of my car carefully and then asked for any complaints.
  • There was one thing that was bugging me. sometimes during the morning drive out of home, there used to be sudden jerky shifts from D2-D3. I mentioned this. He wrote it down and mentioned it as "Check DSG" in the job card. There were no other issues.
  • I asked him to give me details of the 5th year warranty.
  • He also told me about the additional 2 years RSA. He told the prices for the RSA (₹2415/- for 2 years and ₹3666/- for 3 years) and told he'll tell the prices about the 5th year warranty.
  • I also inquired about some accessories shown on the VW website to which he told he'll arrange a callback from the accessories guy in the showroom (it is a few mtrs away in another building)
With my fingers crossed about the DSG thing, I left the car and returned.
I was given an estimate of ₹13500/-. This time I clearly mentioned not to do any WA, WB or 3M interior cleaning)

Later in the afternoon, The SA called and told me that the brake pads were nearing it's end of life and will need replacement. he told the discs also had scoring marks. I told I'll do this later.
He then told me that the tyres need to be replaced as it may run around 500Kms more. I was like there is still around 5mm left till the wear indicator which surely will last a lot more than 500Kms. I told I'll do this also later.
I asked him about the 5th year warranty once again. He told he'll update later because their system was showing prices for 2+2 years warranty and 2+3 years warranty. Since I already had 2+2 year warranty, Only the 5th year warranty should be charged. They were not sure how to get this
I asked him about the jerky shift. He told he'll update later

Later in the evening around 18:15, I got the 2nd call from him and he told the car is ready! I got an SMS that the bill was ₹10200/-
I went there at before 19:00.
  • Biggest relief was when he told that the DSG had no problems! He told that he had got the ignition coil cleaned which should sort the problem.
  • Before billing, I was asked If I will take the RSA and I took the 3 yrs one at ₹3666/-. It was billed separately
  • The 5th year warranty issue-he told he'll check it and let me know and I could do an online payment. But this is still not solved till today.
  • He got a call arranged from the accessories guy who had nothing I asked for. I told that I saw all the items on the VW website to which the guy admitted that website items are hardly available at dealerships!!!
Anyway, the car was washed well and I took the car home. the replaced filters were in the boot

All in all the cost looked decent:
  • ~₹3800/- for engine oil
  • ~₹3000 for service charges
  • ~₹800 for all 4 brakes removal, cleaning and fitting it back,
  • ~₹1000 for Oil, Pollen and Air filters
  • ~₹600 for some screw and consumables and washer liquid etc.
  • ~₹1000 for AC disinfection (I hadn't asked for this but it was good because there was an undying smell of Asafoetida which was left in the car by mistake for 2 days)

On Monday I took the car to office and all was well till some distance. At a straight open part of the tolled NICE road, I stretched my legs a bit and touched 120Kmph. From here I applied brakes as the road didn't permit that speed for long. after a few seconds, I heard a loud humming sound from the passenger side wheel. the braking was good but this sound was disturbing.
It is not present or not audible at lower speeds or at very slow braking. only when braking a little more harder from 100+ speeds. I thought because it was cleaned it'll take sometime to set in. even today morning, I checked and this sound still exists.
I'll get this checked on Saturday. I feel he has either not fit the brake assembly properly or sanded the pads too much! It's frustrating that a new issue crops up after the maintenance service which was in-existent before.
I'm now driving sedately. If he says I have to replace the pads, I'll prefer doing it with a suitable Brembo pad+rotor combo.

In the mean time I've asked our moderator Gannu_1 for some suggestions on this. I took out the Dashcam video, extracted the audio and using a sound editing software, removed all other noises and isolated this humming sound. This will be useful in showing it to the SA on Saturday.

Before this, I had given a feedback of 4 on call. It would've probably been lesser if I had found the issue earlier.

On Saturday I took the car for WA and WB at Madhus Lagford road. but it was overcrowded and I came back. I was thinking of doing it this Saturday but will do it after this brake issue is solved.

Yesterday evening , I car crossed the 30K mark too...591 days after purchase at an avg of ~51Kms a day
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-30000_20180807_182643.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Could you please tell us about the sticker/mount on driver side of windshield. Is this used to mount action camera like gopro or something else?
You are right, it is an action cam mount. I put my action cam or my 360 degree cam. In the 3rd image of the below post, you can find the picture of my car with the 360 degree camera mounted.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4256929
Old 16th August 2018, 12:31   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll get this checked on Saturday. I feel he has either not fit the brake assembly properly or sanded the pads too much! It's frustrating that a new issue crops up after the maintenance service which was in-existent before.
I'm now driving sedately. If he says I have to replace the pads, I'll prefer doing it with a suitable Brembo pad+rotor combo.
Took the car on Saturday to the service centre again and as expected they suggested me to change the disc and pads. the discs had deep scoring marks and also the edges of the brake pads were badly worn. Especially the passenger side pads from where the humming noise was coming from.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180811_10374401.jpeg
Passenger side

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180811_10394001.jpeg
Driver side

Gannu_1 had suggested me to check if the disc can be skimmed. The VW service station didn't suggest skimming. The SA told me that the replacement would cost 6500(parts)+ 800(Labour). I told him that I'll thin over it and come next week.
I went to an FNG who also suggested that the scoring was too bad. So decided to change both the discs and pads.
I had read quite a few people replacing the disc and pads and with that I had zeroed in on Brembo pad+disc combination. I called BHPian Vik_0728 who was one among them and asked for a reference. He suggested Cartisan who would come home and do the job well.

I called them up and they told they can come anytime after Monday. They also told me that they can come on 15th August too. Since I would be at home anyways, I decided to schedule an appointment for the morning of 15th.

I asked quite a few questions and they were really helpful with all the questions. Finalized on the Brembo Solid Disc (part number 09.7011.11). The drilled ones (09.7011.1x) was much more expensive and I had heard that they are prone to warping. The pads had the part number P85121S

I installed their app, registered and requested this service. "Brembo disc+Pad replacement" is already a listed line item for Polo. The cost of parts + installation would cost 11200. I selected that and the appointment was scheduled for 09:30. I got a confirmation a day before too.

On the 15th, By the time I finished the flag hoisting ceremony in my apartment by 09:30, exactly on as per the scheduled appointment time, the Cartisan people arrived and pretty quickly started working. They had come in a Nano without rear seats. all the tools were in that cute Tata car.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180815_100735.jpg
The parts and his tool kit

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180815_101048.jpg
The mechanic removing the discs and pads

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180815_101007.jpg
The old and new pads

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180815_101150.jpg
The badly scored Disc

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20180815_101133.jpg
The old and new Discs

In 45 minutes, both the discs and pads were replaced and we were ready to go on a test drive. I took the vehicle to an empty straight good road section nearby and tested it. the performance difference was immediately seen and the humming noise also wasn't there anymore. We came back home and in the meantime, in Cartisan app, the invoice was raised. I paid it online and it was seamless -Wallets, net banking, cash, cards, UPI all options were there. in exactly an hour they were out - Impressive experience overall.

Today morning, the drive was wonderful to office. couple of times, on empty straight roads, I braked for sometime to bed in the pads. there is no noise, no shudder, the cars brakes without breaking a sweat. Good riddance with the TVS OE brake setup. This is what the GT should've had from the beginning.

Alto
A small update on the Alto. It has crossed 5K mark and my wife is driving daily to office. Since she is driving daily, I decided to buy a dashcam. After reading the Dashcam thread and asking a few friends, I decided to go with the "Ddpai mini2". Ordered it on Aliexpress and a Samsung 64GB card on Amazon to go with it. The camera is expected to be delivered in 20 days.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 16th August 2018 at 12:34.
hemanth.anand is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks