Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2022, 08:40   #46
BHPian

Re: 2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
One good thing about VW is the galvanized steel. Haven’t had the need to repaint a few dings which have removed paint, but have no rust. Factory paint is overrated in my opinion, the dealership gets close enough and no car lasts without scratches and dings. So either live with dings or get it repainted.
I'd like to correct you there mate. Factory paint is RIGHTLY overrated. It's actually the best option you have and if you try measuring it with a Paint Depth Gauge, you'll be able to see the consistency with which it is laid down right down to last coat. Usually it will be around 150 - 180 microns all around depending on the manufacturer. Manual paint job at the dealership will be generally 250 microns or higher. It may not sound like much to you, but when you start doing the detailing work, or applying PPF, everything comes into play. No human hand can ever replicate the consistency of a robotic arm. That's the reason why factory paint even after 20 years will look the same and match all around if maintained well. No comparison actually.

Paint done at the dealership doesn't even come close to the original thing. Although there are some brilliant guys in the US and UK and a few other developed countries who undertake custom paint job projects, but then those will cost a bomb and it takes weeks to paint the car and that's a multi stage paint process, sanding in between coats and changing the ratios of paint layers in between coats. You won't ever find that in India. No one seems to have that kind of skill or intention to make it happen although they make you believe they do and I've seen even the best ones here but nothing in comparison to those custom jobs abroad.

Another point for the factory paint - You can install PPF or any wrap or stickers on the car with original paint and while peeling off, it will come off using the right procedure of steam/heat. Try doing that with a paint job done at your dealership or outside. You can't because of the thick layers of paint and the lack of controlled environment which won't let the paint bond to itself that well. The moment you start peeling off the PPF, you'll have your paint coming off as well. I can vouch for the Factory Paint any day. Nothing can beat it. Not even the custom paint job and the resale value drops down to half the moment you get your car repainted. At least for me it does.

I'd rather take care of my car in the first place than get it repainted. But yes, in some cases some jerk might damage my paint while my car is parked in the parking lot or at the traffic lights. These things are beyond my control, for that we need basic manners and awareness about others' belongings, that we seriously lack in this country. The increase in traffic these days is no help either.

Most of my cars are 10 years old and still have factory paint all around. They're still in mint condition, mostly. I take the following measures:

1. Park away from other vehicles or in some Faraway parking lot where not many vehicles are present. I'd rather walk than get my vehicle damaged. Safety over convenience.

2. I stop way before the traffic lights instead of poking into the traffic. And I stop one side of the road (left or right) so that no two wheeler has the chance to pass from that one side getting a chance to break my wing mirror. They have that dirty habit, I don't know why. They'll keep creeping up to you and lack the basic manners of respecting personal space.

3. While driving, try being on one side (again). While in the center, you're exposing both your flanks.

4. Even when parking in malls, I look for a spot where no one else can park with me (Mostly I've seen people pushing their door open too far and banging others' doors).

This gives me an idea. I'll probably do a write-up with photos one day on this. Might help someone
The Rainmaker is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 14:22   #47
BHPian

Dear Mods, Please note that it is not a full repaint. Only affected panels were repainted. Home page says full repaint so I thought of bringing it to notice. Thank you in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuk21 View Post
Wow.. Job well done. She looks gorgeous :-). I am inspired by your action and will plan for my Laura. She has aged gracefully but needs a fresh coat.
Thanks a lot! Go ahead and paint your car as well, it is very satisfying.. Trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post

I agree with your thoughts on keeping the car mechanically sound over cosmetically sound. Covid budget constraints also meant that I picked mechanical expenditures over cosmetic.

I would be sending in my car for a full respray sometime in June and your thread beautifully showcased how the car can come out looking brand-new after a respray.

Did you also get the exterior plastic/rubber trims changed? Also wanted to know if you have any other upgrades planned for the car to battle the long term ownership inertia?
Hi. I have not entirely resprayed the car but only affected areas have been painted and the car has been polished. Only RHS quarter panel mirror trim was changed as it had torn. Headlights and LHS taillight are changed.

No specific plans are there for long term ownership. I am just going to service it timely and going to use the car regularly but not everyday. But if any mechanical/electric bit fails, I will anyday considering replacing it rather repairing it which could make the car unreliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmukunda View Post

Also, i am curious about one thing, is the paint work done from service, if not, since the work is done open place how do they account for dust free environment and paint quality issues that arise due to this. and if comparison was there how much of a cost difference is it with official body shop and third party service provider

A small point though is the shots from DSLR are overexposed, if you have used lightroom or other tools, please correct the exposure or highlights, to reduce the jarring contrast difference between light and dark zones.
There was a difference of almost 1500-2000 rupees per panel compared to the authorized service centre.

The photographs clicked are outside the paint booth and not inside it. The paint-booth in the workshop was more of a 'make-shift' paint-booth. The car was very much painted in closed conditions as I myself hate painting procedures adopted in open-air.

Talking about the photography/editing, I am not a professional photographer to have the best clicks, haha. But I shall keep in mind whatever you have pointed out. The problem is that in every device, the photo characteristics affect according to the quality of the screen so I am not sure how are the pics seen in your device

Last edited by 300 KMPH : 3rd April 2022 at 14:26.
300 KMPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 14:39   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post
Hello @300 KMPH. Thanks for sharing. The car looks fab after the makeover. It’s always a pleasure to tc of your beloved vehicle; no other feeling can beat the satisfaction.

I have a question- it looks like the car was painted in open air. Was the process discussed earlier?

Can you please share expenses included if possible.
Dear Guru Shikhar, the car was painted inside a closed environment and was not painted in open air. Open air painting looks horrible and it shows a very bad finish after sometime.

Also, please keep 50k in hand for expenditure. It would not be that expensive but better to keep a higher margin. Well, I can say that the final bill was lesser than expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoyal1996 View Post
So glad to see your possession.

Looks really great after the paint job.

We have the 2011 Model, I was thinking of getting the Bumper(s) changed to the current variant (They look aggressive, IMHO), Have you thought of same?
There are so many aftermarket options for VWs. Custom lights, new bumpers, etc. But I had promised myself to keep the car 100% stock and wanted to have that OEM look which I remember seeing my car back in 2013. And stock cars really last well in the longer run is what I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
Good to see you taking care of your vehicle. Although factory paint is the best and the preferred option to keep but if in this situation, a restoration is always better than doing nothing. Good job done!
Hi Rainmaker. If you go through the thread from the beginning, you will realize that multiple panels have gone through multiple repaints already. So I thought of just repairing the affected panels this time.

You rightly said, factory paint is next level but I really wanted to make the car presentable this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I firmly believe that outdoor paint jobs can never match dealership paint booth work. At the end of the day the cost plays a role in such circumstances. Paint booth work costs much more than outdoor repairs.

Also your coolant looks bad, something to get checked perhaps.
How did VW not catch the leak in 70k kms?
Hello. This is the first time my car has gone outside the dealership for such a major job. The car was painted in a closed environment and the paint finish is better than the service centre is what I have observed.

My coolant reservoir looks bad but the coolant inside is good. The reason for discoloration of the reservoir is also covered in the thread.

Talking about the leak, not everything can be fixed with scanners or machinery. Sometimes, naked eye can beat machinery. Even though there was a leak, the car was working completely fine. In fact the leak was so minor that I was not even told till the delivery.
300 KMPH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 16:54   #49
BHPian

Hey! It was a good read on your Vento.
I own a 2011 make VW Vento TDI, too and can share a similar experience as you

If you don't mind sharing, I would like to get some insights on the service experience faced by you.

I ask this because every time I give my car to service, the service bill amounts to over Rs.26000+. I would love to hear your views on this and also get your insta_id for the same if you are comfortable sharing it.
Old 15th October 2022, 19:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bat View Post
I ask this because every time I give my car to service, the service bill amounts to over Rs.26000+. I would love to hear your views on this and also get your insta_id for the same if you are comfortable sharing it.
Kindly share soft copy of previous bills to see where they are inflating bill so much.

Usually 1.6 TDi annual service cost should be no more than Rs. 12,000-14,000.

I have got it serviced even for less than Rs 10,000 from Authorized VW Workshop.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 19:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Kindly share soft copy of previous bills to see where they are inflating bill so much.

Usually 1.6 TDi annual service cost should be no more than Rs. 12,000-14,000.

I have got it serviced even for less than Rs 10,000 from Authorized VW Workshop.
I have no idea; each time I give it for service, they recommend changing parts saying this part is broken or that part is broken; they just informed me much before that the general service itself is 14k, and remaining if there are parts to change, it will be intimidated. I just gave it for a service 1 month ago VW Mount Road, Chennai, which cost around 26k.

Attaching my last service invoice copy as requested. Kindly take a look
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AP09CW5808 INVOICE COPY.pdf (241.0 KB, 160 views)
Old 16th October 2022, 11:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea; each time I give it for service, they recommend changing parts saying this part is broken or that part is broken
The workshop is trying to scam you by doing unnecessary jobs.

If there are any parts replacement, ideally I stay back at workshop to inspect and then only give a go ahead. Else they will change parts which are not needed to meet their monthly targets.

As per the attached bills; in the Requested Jobs Labor Details section
1. Wheel balancing only needed if tyre is unmounted from alloy or there is vibrations felt.
2. Wheel alignment needed if car is pulling towards either left or right.
3. Wiper blade change at end of monsoon is not needed unless its gone bad.
4. Rest all other jobs are not needed unless something is wrong.

As per the attached bills; in the Requested Jobs Parts Details section
1. Only serial number 1 is correct for engine oil
2. Rest all the parts are there to inflate the bill.

At the end of bill on page 4 they have given a list of parts to be replaced which is only needed if they are gone bad.

If there are any parts replacement needed, inspect before yourself and then only give a go ahead.

Else these workshops will scam you and make car ownership costs seem too high. This applies to all car brands.

Quote:
I just gave it for a service 1 month ago VW Mount Road, Chennai, which cost around 26k.
Rs 32,992 including taxes. You have been milked.
Old 16th October 2022, 13:43   #53
BHPian

Quote:
The workshop is trying to scam you by doing unnecessary jobs.

If there are any parts replacement, ideally I stay back at workshop to inspect and then only give a go ahead. Else they will change parts which are not needed to meet their monthly targets.

As per the attached bills; in the Requested Jobs Labor Details section
1. Wheel balancing only needed if tyre is unmounted from alloy or there is vibrations felt.
2. Wheel alignment needed if car is pulling towards either left or right.
3. Wiper blade change at end of monsoon is not needed unless its gone bad.
4. Rest all other jobs are not needed unless something is wrong.

As per the attached bills; in the Requested Jobs Parts Details section
1. Only serial number 1 is correct for engine oil
2. Rest all the parts are there to inflate the bill.

At the end of bill on page 4 they have given a list of parts to be replaced which is only needed if they are gone bad.

If there are any parts replacement needed, inspect before yourself and then only give a go ahead.

Else these workshops will scam you and make car ownership costs seem too high. This applies to all car brands.

Rs 32,992 including taxes. You have been milked.
Hi, the wiper blades had worn out before I had given them for service, so I had mentioned changing the wiper blades.
I had opted for the pickup-and-drop service, and I too had gone with the driver since I am well aware these guys will scam you if you are not inspecting the same physically, even though my health wasn't good that day.

While en route to the service center with the driver, the driver mentioned that the rear suspension seems to be having some issues, he showed it and I could feel the same. The rear passengers could feel a stomach ache while the car was driving over speed breakers and potholes. I inspected it and found it true and couldn't compromise it since we had a family road trip to be done a couple of weeks later.

It was my first time giving my car to a service center in Chennai, and I went ahead with VW Mount Road since their customer's ratings are good in Gmaps.

The service advisor was friendly and acknowledged the rear shock absorbers issue and mentioned that replacing them with the bush kit was the only option. I gave him the go-ahead for that since I didn't have an external source I could consult regarding the same . After I reached home, he highlighted the issues like the back passenger window button not working, etc. I advised him to only do the necessary and leave the rest. Following the call, he told me that the V-Belt tensioner pulley needed a replacement and was required. I had to give him the go-ahead for the same since I didn't have any external source I could consult, and I could post my query here on Team-bhp, too, since the car was needed on an urgent basis and getting the right solution on Team-BHP takes a couple of days . The battery was found weak but was replaced under warranty by VW itself .

I agree I am a newbie when it comes to cars, and my current knowledge is limited. I am willing to discuss this in a little deep and was wondering if you could share your Insta Id so I could get some light on it

Cheers
Old 17th October 2022, 11:51   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree I am a newbie when it comes to cars, and my current knowledge is limited. I am willing to discuss this in a little deep and was wondering if you could share your Insta Id so I could get some light on it
Since you have given a go ahead for all these jobs, then the bill will on the higher side.

You can share your queries on this thread or make post count above 25 so as enable Private Messaging on Team-BHP itself.
Old 17th October 2022, 19:28   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Since you have given a go ahead for all these jobs, then the bill will on the higher side.

You can share your queries on this thread or make post count above 25 so as enable Private Messaging on Team-BHP itself.
Gotcha, thank you.
But I am still a bit concerned about the parts price being higher, especially after the VW India program, where they claimed to have reduced the cost of ownership.
Attaching the mail SA sent me while requesting my permission for jobs to be done

Also, can you throw some light on how much your Vento cost for each service?
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-screenshot-22.png  

Old 17th October 2022, 20:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I gave him the go-ahead for that since I didn't have an external source I could consult regarding the same .
Hey,

Many of us in Chennai with VWs go to German Tech (related thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenn...h-chennai.html (VW, Skoda & Audi Specialist Mechanic - Jai Prakash (Chennai)))

We're extremely happy with Jai Prakash so far!
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 21:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, can you throw some light on how much your Vento cost for each service?
Taking Invoice shared by you in consideration following be cost for just servicing:

Inspections with oil change labor: Rs 1830.2
Filter Element (Air Filter): Rs. 475
Pollen Filter (AC Filter): Rs. 387.99
Fuel Filter: Rs 2274
Oil Sump Screw: Rs. 215
GFF & Consumables(ECU Scanning): Rs. 998.28
Engine Oil 4.3 Litre: Rs. 4128.01

Total: Rs. 10,309 including taxes

This is what Vento 1.6 TDi will cost minimum to service annually or 15,000 Kms whichever is earlier.

Even I see similar cost for servicing my Vento 1.6 TDi. I have been sending my car to VW Workshop only since 2011.
Old 18th October 2022, 22:31   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Hey,

Many of us in Chennai with VWs go to German Tech (related thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenn...h-chennai.html (VW, Skoda & Audi Specialist Mechanic - Jai Prakash (Chennai)))

We're extremely happy with Jai Prakash so far!
I wasn't aware of this place until now. Thanks for introducing me to German Tech. I went through the thread, and the service experience indeed seems remarkable. Will look forward to heading up here for my next service.

I had a question tho, does he reset the service interval in the cluster too?
Old 26th December 2022, 23:22   #59
BHPian

Quote:

Hi. It is difficult to gauge if you are being charged right as I do not know the exact condition of the car.

But be it any car, I follow only these things for servicing.

1. Fluids & Filters
2. Brake pads after 15,000-30,000 kms
3. Timing Belt/chain according to the schedule

I have been told many times by service advisors that this 'x' part needs replacement or servicing. I always avoid wheel alignment/balancing from the service center.

During my last service, I was asked to change brake disks with brake pads but I straightaway refused. My total bill was around Rs. 15,400/-

I have heard that service advisors are given daily targets to bill Rs. 1,00,000/- in service centers for most of the brands. Might not be true also.

Now, if you have still have doubts regarding the condition of your car, try to contact the technician. He will actually tell you the true necessity of repairs and seriousness of the issues instead of talking to the service advisor.

I have to update this thread because my car recently went through a software update from Volkswagen! (First time since ownership) Will update soon!
300 KMPH is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks