Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2017, 09:29   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Maruti WagonR LXi is sweet 18! EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The issue of jerking while picking up speeds for near zero on lower gears got solved of its own, just like it happened after the previous service. I'll keep this in mind whenever I give the car for water wash or service in future. After that, i'll drive the car for about 30 kms so that the water dries up and the jerking stops!

So all's well that ends well!
Out of the several water washes my car (WagonR K10) has been through, I faced a similar issue only once. The car was having an erratic idle. When I slow down the car or stop the car, the idle RPM used to fall to 500-600 range before the anti-stall kicked in and pushed the RPM above 850-900 RPM. I took it back to the FNG where I had got it washed but I sense water would be culprit. The FNG owner had a look and concurred.

We decided to wait the night and investigate if the issue persists the next day. In about 12 hours and <5 km drive, the car was back to normal during the first crank next morning.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 19:52   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Out of the several water washes my car (WagonR K10) has been through, I faced a similar issue only once. The car was having an erratic idle. When I slow down the car or stop the car, the idle RPM used to fall to 500-600 range before the anti-stall kicked in and pushed the RPM above 850-900 RPM. I took it back to the FNG where I had got it washed but I sense water would be culprit. The FNG owner had a look and concurred.

We decided to wait the night and investigate if the issue persists the next day. In about 12 hours and <5 km drive, the car was back to normal during the first crank next morning.
Well, in my case the car was idle for a week after water washing. The issue persisted for 2 days after that idle period. Not sure why the water did not dry up.
Old 16th August 2017, 11:41   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, in my case the car was idle for a week after water washing. The issue persisted for 2 days after that idle period. Not sure why the water did not dry up.
Monsoon and moisture might have made difficult for a quick dry. I faced this issue in peak summer. Was the car run for long distances during those 2 days, enough to make the engine hot?
Old 16th August 2017, 11:50   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Monsoon and moisture might have made difficult for a quick dry. I faced this issue in peak summer. Was the car run for long distances during those 2 days, enough to make the engine hot?
Yes, after idling for a week, the car was driven 28 kms on the first day, when it showed maximum symptoms. For instance, it was struggling to climb the Narne Road ghat to Jubilee Hills via Whisper Valley.

Based on my wife's complaint, I took it for an early morning spin on the second day, and found the jerks reducing after the 7 km drive. When she took the car to the same workplace, it showed minimum symptoms. They vanished totally on her return trip in the evening.
Old 16th August 2017, 12:03   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, after idling for a week, the car was driven 28 kms on the first day, when it showed maximum symptoms. For instance, it was struggling to climb the Narne Road ghat to Jubilee Hills via Whisper Valley.

Based on my wife's complaint, I took it for an early morning spin on the second day, and found the jerks reducing after the 7 km drive. When she took the car to the same workplace, it showed minimum symptoms. They vanished totally on her return trip in the evening.
Any chance water entered the fuel lines or spark-plugs (not sure if there is such a chance)? I have got similar symptoms on bikes after a pressure wash. It used to get solved after cleaning the carb and/or the spark plugs.

In my car, I faced the issue of erratic idle but no loss of power.
Old 17th August 2017, 11:41   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any chance water entered the fuel lines or spark-plugs (not sure if there is such a chance)? I have got similar symptoms on bikes after a pressure wash. It used to get solved after cleaning the carb and/or the spark plugs.

In my car, I faced the issue of erratic idle but no loss of power.
I think water droplets could have leaked into the spark plugs region, causing the spurts and drops in power. On the earlier occasion, the SA said it could be due to cleaning of spark plugs. He said the jerks will stop soon after a bit of carbon deposits on the plugs.
Old 18th March 2018, 12:26   #142
BHPian

Thanks to vnabhi for this thread.

Wanted to share my recent experience with a repair on my WagonR-2005. It has been running very well and was a good companion for last 12+ years. Did not face any major issues and most importantly, never stranded me on the road.

Recently, noticed some oil/grease spots below the car. Opened the hood and found that the boot on Front Left Axle is broken. Took the car to MASS and they said I will have to replace entire axle for Rs. 3500. Did some search and found that there is a general practice of asking customers to wait till they hear some sound from the joint (when dust enters the joint and joints get damaged) and then replace entire axle. But, if boot can be fixed, axle may stay until lifetime of the car.

Broken boot on Front Left Differential side.
My Maruti WagonR LXi is sweet 18! EDIT: Now sold-brokenaxleboot.jpg

Searched BHP threads. Found the thread by @Leoshashi for MGP numbers and posted a query:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4365782

Many thanks to @Leoshashi for the part numbers. There were two probable part numbers.
Part No: 44119M84320
Name: BOOT SET DIFF SIDE
Price: Rs. 477

Part No: 44119M84311
Name: BOOT SET DIFFERENTIAL SIDE
Price: Rs. 165

Noted down the part numbers and went to MASS, they said that part is not available and Maruti does not produce boot kit alone. Also said, the part number 44119M84311 is available, but that is for M800.

Went to an MGP dealer and ordered the part 44119M84320. They brought that in two days.
My Maruti WagonR LXi is sweet 18! EDIT: Now sold-frontleftaxlebootkit320.jpg

Contents of the pack - It has the boot, grease for filling, clamps.
My Maruti WagonR LXi is sweet 18! EDIT: Now sold-frontleftaxlebootkit320contents.jpg

Took it to MASS. They started raising other concerns that if they remove axle, joint-balls may come out and they will not be able to fix it back, etc. I just wanted to give it a try and asked them to assign an experienced person on this job and they agreed to do the work. Looks like the boot replacement is complex than replacing the entire axle which would have been an easy job for them.

Finally, job was done in 1 hr time.
My Maruti WagonR LXi is sweet 18! EDIT: Now sold-wagonr2005_leftfrontdiffboot.jpg
bijuks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 12:46   #143
ZMG
BHPian

Hi Sir,

I have been a regular reader of your threads, and absolutely love the way you keep your cars.

We are also a family that believes in not letting go of the car in 5 years ( now a days even fewer years)

We have 2004 Honda City (dolphin shaped) which runs brilliantly and still give all the current generation cars a run for money when it comes to backseat comfort and refinement.

Now that the car is 14 years old, I know I will have to get the fitness certificate renewed before next april.
However the question I would like to ask you is what about the insurance?

Do you still have a comprehensive insurance?
If yes, how easy or difficult is it to get one?
And what about claims? Will I get any money when I go for insurance claims, like getting some dents repaired and painted?

Thanks,
Old 1st May 2018, 13:20   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
We have 2004 Honda City (dolphin shaped) which runs brilliantly and still give all the current generation cars a run for money when it comes to backseat comfort and refinement.

Now that the car is 14 years old, I know I will have to get the fitness certificate renewed before next april.

And what about claims? Will I get any money when I go for insurance claims, like getting some dents repaired and painted?
Thanks,
Hello

Good to know that our breed is growing. Congrats on completing 14 years.

Yes, I have comprehensive insurance, and nil claims so far, in 17.8 years! I did spend around 2500 once and around 2000 later for getting some minor dents removed and small paint jobs. I did not feel it worthwhile claiming insurance for those amounts.

I used to pay around 2900 to 3300 for an IDV of 1 lakh, but my premium last year was around 4500 for an IDV of 75000, owing to increase in 3rd party rates, GST etc.
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 20:02   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post

vnabhi has already responded to your post with some nice advice, still let me try to chip in. We have a 18 year old car (99 Omni) & a 16 year old car (01 Zen) at our home, both of these car till date has comprehensive first party insurance. Omni has an IDV of 65k & Zen has an IDV of 85k. I guess if you renew your Insurance timely & don't let the IDV value get too low, you can easily have comprehensive insurance even for a car that is past the 15 year mark.

While I don't recall any recent insurance claim made for our Omni, our Zen did go through an Insurance claim in the year 2016. Zen was involved in a fender bender with a bus, the bill was around 22k at a MASS. We claimed Insurance in this case, the claim went smoothly & the Insurance company payed us around 16k. Also, we did avail the cashless transaction facility.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 1st May 2018 at 20:07.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 21:15   #146
BHPian

Wow!! what a beautiful journey of a reliable workhorse. True, for some of us, these are not mere machines to part with after a certain time, these are like part of our families to grow old with.

It was joy reading the mammoth 17 plus years journey of your waggie.

I too have a 6.5 yrs old waggie with around 57k on the odo. But it feels like a baby in front of your steed.

Keep bringing in the updates, esp. when it reaches the 100k milestone
Avalanche2409 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 00:04   #147
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the accolade. I have a small correction: the car is 16+ years old, as I bought it in July 2001. It will complete 17 on July 31st, 2018.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 10:34   #148
BHPian

Quote:
When I returned, it was August 2nd, by when the car had already turned 15. The system was not allowing registration fee payment and was seeking a renewal first, by payment of green tax. I took advantage of the situation and applied for renewal too, using the form I'd already filled up. The car was again inspected and found fit. After paying green tax of Rs 500, i finally got the green signal to go home and await the new RC card.
In essence, you managed to do a change of location and a 15 year reregistration in one go!

What would have happened in case the vehicle had not hit 15 years the day you went to pay the fees? Would you have had to pay the road tax for transfer of vehicle and then tax again for 15 year re-registration?
abhinavrm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 23:50   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavrm View Post
In essence, you managed to do a change of location and a 15 year reregistration in one go!

What would have happened in case the vehicle had not hit 15 years the day you went to pay the fees? Would you have had to pay the road tax for transfer of vehicle and then tax again for 15 year re-registration?
Yes, I'd have to make two visits as you mentioned. Had I not gone out of town for a week towards the end of July, 2016, I'd have got the transfer done in tht week. And I would have had to visit again for the registration renewal in August 2016, by paying the green tax and getting the vehicle inspected for fitness.

Hope this helps.
Old 2nd July 2018, 17:30   #150
Senior - BHPian

The cost of comprehensive insurance is going up steadily. The renewal quotation I got from Maruti is now around 4200 INR for an IDV of around 74 K. I was paying around 3000 INR a couple of years ago.

Is it worth switching to some other provider? I have had no claims so far, touchwood!
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks