Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2011, 12:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: My Maruti WagonR LXi is sweet 18! EDIT: Now sold

, second that! i got a very similar reaction when i got a new one as well. Mine was the original battery which came with the car too , in 2006 and the guy was flabbergasted to learn that the car was still running with it , i could have probably got it recharged and run it for another year or so more but decided eventually that it was time but mine was considerably cheaper , i paid about 3000 post the deductions for the old one , my new one was an Amron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

I was amused to see the look on his face when he discovered that it was a 2005 make of Exide
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

My WagonR crossed 60000 kms on the odo today, after 10 years and 7 months approximately.

Everything is working fine and it still brings a smile on my face as far as ownership goes. I am gonna name it as 'Ol' faithful'.

It is due for service as it's crossed 5 K in the past 16 months. The only thing I need to check is why the fan sometimes runs for a long time. Perhaps the coolant needs a top up.

I'll also ask them to check the timing belt, as it is more than a decade old. Though the manual recommends a change at 1 lac kms, I am not sure if the rubber will hold up.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My WagonR crossed 60000 kms on the odo today, after 10 years and 7 months approximately.
Heartiest Congratulations Venu Saar!!
60K kms in 10 years is very consistent average of 6k kms per year.
You seem to be maintaining the same average annual running for your Fiesta too
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Heartiest Congratulations Venu Saar!!
60K kms in 10 years is very consistent average of 6k kms per year.
You seem to be maintaining the same average annual running for your Fiesta too
Thanks Manish. Yes, that is the same annual figure on my Fiesta. Though the Waggie is mostly used by my wife and son.
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

Here's a pic of Ol' Faithful taken today on a busy street at Secunderabad:-

My Maruti WagonR LXi is sweet 18! EDIT: Now sold-wagonr.jpg

Sorry for the poor resolution---used my smart phone for it.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 10:25   #51
Senior - BHPian

I got Ol' Faithful's 60 K service done last week at Varun Motors. I asked the service advisor to check and change the timing belt.

He strongly advised me against it and gave the 1 lac kms lecture. But when I told him it was a rubber part, and that its failure could damage many parts, he said nothing would happen, except that the car would not start. He said that if I was so particular, I could get it done at 80 K on the odo.

Therefore I asked him to defer that bit for now. It looks the the Waggie has a non-interference type of engine-- a type where the engine would not be damaged by the failure of the timing belt.

The service bill came to Rs 8000, the costliest so far. It comprised changing the bushes and lower arms of the front suspension, and changing of all liquids (engine oil, gear oil and coolant) and spark plugs.

The fuel injectors were also cleaned (cost around 1200) and now the engine runs much smoother. Let me see if there is any increase in FE after a few days, when I top up.

Ol' Faithful continues to bring a smile to my face whenever I use it. The only gripe for which I've not found any solution was the position of the throttle pedal. For journeys more than 30 minutes, the instep of my right foot pains. The only way I can get relief is to press the pedal fully, but city traffic does not permit that.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on how to avoid this?
Old 31st March 2012, 14:34   #52
BHPian

Congratulations Venu sir for completing a decade with the Ol' Faithful.

We have a 2003 model Lxi model and it has completed more than 70K in this timespan.

Ours was the second Wagon R in our town at that time. The car invited a lot of curious glances at that time. I am more than six foot tall and it suits me perfectly. Sometimes after our family shopping trips I am really surprised with the amount of luggage I unload.

Dont know the reason but our car is currently running on its third battery. he original one lasted only two and half years. The second one was replaced last year. Apart from that the AC gave problems last year and it involved a lot of research on the part of the workshop people to find the exact problem. It seems the problem was rarely reported and they had to ask someone in Gurgaon for its diagnosis.

For the most of the part, our ownership experience has been trouble free and over the period we are receiving consistently a mileage of 15-16 kmpl in mixed driving condition.

When my parents were thinking of getting another car lat year, they could not settle on any other car simply because they had gotten used to the amount of space, high seating position and comfort this car offers and decided to retain it for the next couple of years.

Even I face the same problem with the position of throttle paddle especially in long drives and am yet to fine a suitable remedy for it.

What i usually do in such cases is to remove foot wear and use my toe only for pressing the throttle. This provide a degree of relief and comfort in long drives.
amikacin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 18:56   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amikacin View Post
Ours was the second Wagon R in our town at that time. The car invited a lot of curious glances at that time. I am more than six foot tall and it suits me perfectly. .
Yes, even mine was the second WagonR in the Vizag Steel township. Some people called it an AC van

Quote:
Dont know the reason but our car is currently running on its third battery. he original one lasted only two and half years. The second one was replaced last year. . .
Mine too on 3rd one. First lasted 50 months, second one 74 months approx. All were Exides.

Quote:
Even I face the same problem with the position of throttle paddle especially in long drives and am yet to fine a suitable remedy for it.

What i usually do in such cases is to remove foot wear and use my toe only for pressing the throttle. This provide a degree of relief and comfort in long drives.
I did that once long back, but when I braked, my sandals slid forward to the pedals, making it dangerous. I feel it is better to wear a lady's high heel shoes while driving long distances.
Old 1st April 2012, 09:38   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ol' Faithful continues to bring a smile to my face whenever I use it. The only gripe for which I've not found any solution was the position of the throttle pedal. For journeys more than 30 minutes, the instep of my right foot pains. The only way I can get relief is to press the pedal fully, but city traffic does not permit that.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on how to avoid this?
I own a 2000 Vxi Type 1 WagonR . The pedals are placed unusually high and can be painful for the foot. I have placed one of those rubber door mats that are about an inch thick below the car's rubber floor mats. I have these door mats below the drivers mat for twelve years now . It does help in reducing the discomfort to a large extent.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 12:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I own a 2000 Vxi Type 1 WagonR . The pedals are placed unusually high and can be painful for the foot. I have placed one of those rubber door mats that are about an inch thick below the car's rubber floor mats. I have these door mats below the drivers mat for twelve years now . It does help in reducing the discomfort to a large extent.
Sounds like a great idea, but can you please post a picture? I am curious to konw whether you cut the door mat to about half the size of the car's mat and placed it under the rear part of the car mat. Or does it span the entire length and breadth of the car mat?

And do you think the pedals were placed at a better positions on later models?

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st April 2012 at 12:45.
Old 31st July 2012, 21:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Ol' faithful is 11 years old today and she gave me a smile when I wished it this morning.
The odo reads 61500 approximately.

The car has been a cornerstone of reliability and now my daughter is learning to drive on it. She finds it far more comfortable to drive than the Alto she learnt driving in.

She continues to draw a glance of admiration every morning from me when I get into the Fiesta for my office commute. I hope to munch many more miles on it---at least my family will, as I don't get to drive it except on weekends.

My future plans are to change the stock bulbs to something better. Any suggestions are welcome. The darn bulbs that came with the car are not bright enough, though they are the stock bulbs (only one was replaced last year with the spare one that came with the car).
Old 1st August 2012, 10:05   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My future plans are to change the stock bulbs to something better. Any suggestions are welcome. The darn bulbs that came with the car are not bright enough, though they are the stock bulbs (only one was replaced last year with the spare one that came with the car).
I have been using 100/90 Philips Rally eye's on my WagonR without any issues for a few years now. Lighting is a huge improvement over the stock lamps.

If you are not keen on putting a relay, and just need better bulbs - stick to 60/55 Osram Nightbreaker +.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 10:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

@vnabhi
my story is also more of like you when we opted to buy a Gold Metallic Wagon R in March 2000 against the top contenders Zen & Santro.
it was a magazine article stating "its not a car its wagon R" japans best selling car that attracted us and more than that the tall boy height since we all are tall in family.

it is more than 12+ years and we have a fiesta too but still my father is not ready to part ways with her due to its comfort level especially because of its tall attire and emotional quotient
Old 1st August 2012, 11:02   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
@vnabhi
my story is also more of like you when we opted to buy a Gold Metallic Wagon R in March 2000 against the top contenders Zen & Santro.
it was a magazine article stating "its not a car its wagon R" japans best selling car that attracted us and more than that the tall boy height since we all are tall in family.

it is more than 12+ years and we have a fiesta too but still my father is not ready to part ways with her due to its comfort level especially because of its tall attire and emotional quotient
12 years!!

Gosh, you must have bought the car in the same year it was released in India. Good to know this. Do post an ownership thread on it, as I don't recall seeing one from you.

Though I bought it in 2001, it was the second Waggie in the township I lived in, and got glances from passers by almost everyday, apart from envious queries for owning an 'AC Van'

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st August 2012 at 11:04.
Old 1st August 2012, 11:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
12 years!!

Gosh, you must have bought the car in the same year it was released in India. Good to know this. Do post an ownership thread on it, as I don't recall seeing one from you.

Though I bought it in 2001, it was the second Waggie in the township I lived in, and got glances from passers by almost everyday.
that's right
it was purchased the very next month it was launched in India and that is why it did even have the power steering at that time in LX model.

I suppose it must be having original Suzuki engine since as a thumb rule automobile companies only start localization once the product gets acceptability in the market

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks