Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 12:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: My Maruti WagonR LXi is sweet 18! EDIT: Now sold

I forgot to mention in my prior post that the odo reads 58000 on its decennial anniversary.

FE ranges from 11.5 to 13 with AC on, which is quite decent for a 10 year old car. But even my 1.6 Fiesta gives the same FE, so I guess there is newer technology iincorporated into the Duratec Sigma engine.

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st August 2011 at 12:42.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 12:40   #32
Team-BHP Support

My Wagon R is at 7 years.
I completely agree with you on how lovely this car is.

I cannot justify selling it for just another hatch.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My Wagon R is at 7 years.
I completely agree with you on how lovely this car is.

I cannot justify selling it for just another hatch.

+1 to your views. What is your FE like? I was told that the newer generation WagonR's give better FE.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:52   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
+1 to your views. What is your FE like? I was told that the newer generation WagonR's give better FE.
I used to get a consistent 13 to 13.5 kmpl.
But after my daughter was born the FE has gone for a toss.
Now the AC is always on.

I leave the AC ON even when I am parked i.e if she is inside the car with me. Also with her in the car, every speed breaker is taken very carefully. So its a stop and drive. That seriously lowers the fuel economy.

The FE currently comes up at around 11.5 kmpl.

The best FE ever was on a drive to Chennai. I drove alone and it was almost non-stop. The 650 kms distance returned 19+ kmpl.

I always do a tankful. Its a habit to reset the tripmeter and do a quick check on the FE.

The only reason, I might change my car is the lack of space that is becoming a problem. My daughter is always in her car seat. The Wagon can only seat 2 passengers apart from her and myself(driver).

The odo reads something in the range of 55 or 56k kms.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

@bblost---Even I used to get 13 to 14 when the car was new, but that was with 50% AC and in Vizag Steel township, which is devoid of traffic, though it has lots of speed-breakers.

The highest FE on highway drives was around 17 with 100% AC. I always use tankful to tankful method.

My FE fell drastically after moving to Hyderabad, and it still hovers around 11.5 to 12.5 mostly. I've not taken it for a long drive for the past 5 years.

As regards lack of space at the rear, I agree that only 2 can sit there, and that is a constraint indeed. Perhaps a Figo or Liva offers better room in that segment.

But one huge advantage is the boot space, and by folding one seat, I could even transport a brand new 42" plasma from the showroom.

It was only a couple of weeks back that my wife and I were following the Waggie driven by my son. My wife observed that everything was working fine with it, including signal lights, brake lights, etc, so why the heck should we think of selling it ? Looks like we've developed an emotional attachment with it.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:54   #36
BHPian

Hi Vnabhi,

Its good to hear that your waggie is doing great after 10 years. I too own a 2000 VX and has covered 137000 kms. It still runs perfect and there is still lot of juice left in it.

You are right..it does develop an emotional attachment with its faithful service.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

@S5157---Congrats! Yours is 11 years old now!

As it is a vx, does it have a power steering? I know that vxi has one. What parts did you change in it so far, like brake pads, tyres, etc?
Old 30th September 2011, 15:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Venu Sir, happened to see you Waggi , the other day at the meet. It looks cool with those graphics.
Time for some pics of your humble steed ?
Old 30th September 2011, 15:45   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But one huge advantage is the boot space, and by folding one seat, I could even transport a brand new 42" plasma from the showroom.
Few cars can in the segment (including the current WagonR) can match the kind of practicality this car offers.

I have transported (Different occassion demanded it) MTB cycles, manual treadmill with seats folded. Even my house shifting (Bachelor style - One cot, few suitcases), was done in one trip in my WagonR. One amazing car!

My Maruti WagonR LXi is sweet 18! EDIT: Now sold-img_4441_800.jpg

Have booked a Swift ZDi now - for my city drives + highway runs. Still not decided whether to retain the WagonR or not! Its perfect for parents usage, parking constraints being the only concern!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 16:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
@S5157---Congrats! Yours is 11 years old now!

As it is a vx, does it have a power steering? I know that vxi has one. What parts did you change in it so far, like brake pads, tyres, etc?
Hi Vnabhi,

Thanks It is infact 11 years and 6 months.

VX doesn't have powersteering but has power windows in front and rear wash and wipe.It has all features of VXi minus power steering.

I do regular service at 5k interval and Oil changes at 10K interval.

Major expense i had was with the rear right door change couple of years ago when a truck hit while stopped at a traffic light. It costed me around 14 K including painting.

I am running on third set of tyres now. I have changed battery twice. Clutch was once replaced at 85 K kms. The maintenance costs comes approximatley 80 paisa / km.

It needs NGK sparkplugs as normal ones from MGP causes misfiring. So i have specifically advise mass to change with NGK. It seems it is issue with Type 1 Wagon R which I have.Also the heater core was once replaced at 1.10 lakhs kms which costed around 4 K.

Fuel efficieny is around 10-12 city traffic and around 16 on highways with 100% AC.

It is a very reliable car and has never let me down.
Old 30th September 2011, 17:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Few cars can in the segment (including the current WagonR) can match the kind of practicality this car offers.

I have transported (Different occassion demanded it) MTB cycles, manual treadmill with seats folded. Even my house shifting (Bachelor style - One cot, few suitcases), was done in one trip in my WagonR. One amazing car!

Attachment 818700

Have booked a Swift ZDi now - for my city drives + highway runs. Still not decided whether to retain the WagonR or not! Its perfect for parents usage, parking constraints being the only concern!
Holy cow, you've established a record for house-shifting! I could never imagine that even a cot would go into it!!

I did carry my 42" Plasma in it when the shop guy said he could deliver only after 2 days. I've also shifted house twice, and I bet no other hatch can transport so much stuff.

Congrats on your new zdi booking. Perhaps I was pampered by the Waggie so much that I have taken the Swift out of my scope mainly due to the limited boot space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
Hi Vnabhi,

Thanks It is infact 11 years and 6 months.

Major expense i had was with the rear right door change couple of years ago when a truck hit while stopped at a traffic light. It costed me around 14 K including painting.

I am running on third set of tyres now. I have changed battery twice. Clutch was once replaced at 85 K kms. The maintenance costs comes approximatley 80 paisa / km.

It needs NGK sparkplugs as normal ones from MGP causes misfiring. So i have specifically advise mass to change with NGK. It seems it is issue with Type 1 Wagon R which I have.Also the heater core was once replaced at 1.10 lakhs kms which costed around 4 K.

Fuel efficieny is around 10-12 city traffic and around 16 on highways with 100% AC.

It is a very reliable car and has never let me down.
Fantastic. I get the same FE as you. I need to check up if my spark plugs are NGK---I got them replaced at 40 K service around 4 years ago.

Wish you many more miles of happy 'Wagging' !
Old 10th December 2011, 21:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

I was counting days after my WagonR's second battery crossed 6 years on September 21st, and finally it looks like the battery needs to be changed : it started with a pause in the starter motor this morning, and also in the afternoon.

My son also confirmed he felt this yesterday, when he took it for a short drive. So I will take the plunge for a new battery on Monday. I shall certainly go for Exide once again, considering its stupendous performance (though the stock one lasted only 4 years 2 months).

Long back, the second battery on my M 800 (again an Exide) lasted me 5 years 11 months!

Kudos to Exide!
Old 11th December 2011, 12:00   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Holy cow, you've established a record for house-shifting! I could never imagine that even a cot would go into it!!

I did carry my 42" Plasma in it when the shop guy said he could deliver only after 2 days. I've also shifted house twice, and I bet no other hatch can transport so much stuff.
Agreed, I always feel that WagonR(Mine was a May-2006 model) has more luggage space even when compared to some of the sedans. When I was in Hyderabad, I almost shifted the entire things of my house(local shifting) except Fridge, Washing Machine, Sofa Set, Dinning Table and a King size cot in my WagonR by doing multiple trips. Even the 1.5 ton AC didn't have any issues to enter the WagonR.

Later after moving to Bangalore, I decided to move to a Diesel car(for highway runs and registration issue) and man, I found it very difficult to convince myself to sell her and finally it was a compromise. If I had enough fund, I would have definitely retained my WagonR. It was around 63K on ODO during the sale and I never faced any issue during my ownership with this car.

This is how she looked after doing @60270Kms. As good as a new car. The tyres were changed at around 58K, as per the SA it would have gone for another 10K because the buttons were good except some very small cracks on the side of all the tyres. I didn't want to take any risk and hence changed all the tyres. Even today, I miss her a lot and hoping that the current owner takes care of her as I did.

CrAzY dRiVeR, If possible try to retain your WagonR!
Attached Thumbnails
My Maruti WagonR LXi is sweet 18! EDIT: Now sold-dsc07289optimized.jpg  

arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 21:57   #44
Team-BHP Support

How would you guys rate the suspension?

These days - I'm getting really tired of the thrashing it takes while going through potholes. The front is harsh and creates high thud sounds while going through potholes!
Quote:
Kudos to Exide!
You seem to be having nice experiences with Exide! Its clearly not a favourite in the forum though! 6 years+ is very good performance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
CrAzY dRiVeR, If possible try to retain your WagonR!
Yes, its finally been decided that way.

WagonR will be in Trivandrum, and will be used by my parents/ me when we visit trivandrum. I will be using the Swift in Chennai, and for Chennai <-> Trivandrum runs.

80k+ on the odo and still going strong! Some minor niggles are there, but its still does it job so well - it would be a pity to sell it off at low prices.
Old 12th December 2011, 13:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How would you guys rate the suspension?

These days - I'm getting really tired of the thrashing it takes while going through potholes. The front is harsh and creates high thud sounds while going through potholes!

You seem to be having nice experiences with Exide! Its clearly not a favourite in the forum though! 6 years+ is very good performance!

Yes, its finally been decided that way.
The suspension is good, and ride quality is also good, especially when you compare the ride at the rear with a Santro. I had to change my front struts last year though. The thud sounds are a symptom of that problem.

Update: I got my battery inspected by the same guy who had sold it to me in Sep, 2005, and got it replaced for Rs 3500 (Rs 3800 minus Rs 300 for the old battery).

I was amused to see the look on his face when he discovered that it was a 2005 make of Exide

Most Viewed