Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2007, 14:50   #46
BHPian

New Shoes & Alloys Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Hey a rather late congrats. Now let some long distance travel and highway runs be done - sure you must have something in mind, now that you are quite settled with the truck.
Thanks @adc,

yes, I am planning shortly during end of this month, currently working out the plan. Hope nothing comes in-between

I could manage only one PIC today, as my wifey wanted the cam to burn the video clips of yesterday fun stuff (me bursting crackers on behalf of my lil princes) will try and get a full truck in the am tomorrow :-)

ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc01770kl7.jpg
Old 24th January 2008, 13:14   #47
BHPian

Update 1800 KMS and running smooth.

What say guys, I am really enjoying the beast to the core. I did a 800+ stint in 2 days single driver to attend a cousin's marriage in Hubli.

Below is short summary and few comments from the whole lot of people who traveled with me in the truck.

1. Supreme Comfort all around
2. My little daughter made it her home (playing around, eating, sleeping and what not)
3. Due to new shoes, I could take turns between 50 and 60 KMS speeds
4. Journey was so relaxing everyone was so surprised that they were so fresh and could not believe that when I told them it would so
5. I could seamlessly cruise @ 110 while in 4 and 5th Gear where RPM touching just 2000 :-) it was really amazing to my wifey that she could not believe the amount of further prower that could be extracted under the hood and boy, I wish to see that face again and again :-) :-)

Finally to the little headache with the truck.

1. I am observing that their is a keech keech keech sound when I start the vehicle and it will remain their for some time say, 5 to 6 KMS run for under idle for about at minute of so, after that it vanishes. I was told by service stations that it could be the noice of belts.
One of the Grey body cladding piece has gone somewhere and I can not trace it anymore (could have happened while driving), so need to know how to get if fixed them properly so that I don't keep loosing them every now and then.
3. After the long drive, I could see lots of pins / screws etc. on the floor mats, is this common in Safari? What should I say to the service guys.

Please advice what should I do, I am planning to take the vehicle sometime during next week to Service Station (Manipal Airport road - Bangalore)

MODS: Please I kindly request to amend the title "My New Safari Dicor EX 3.0 4x2 LTR - 1800 KMS Update"

Thanks in Advance.
Old 24th January 2008, 13:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
1. I am observing that their is a keech keech keech sound when I start the vehicle and it will remain their for some time say, 5 to 6 KMS run for under idle for about at minute of so, after that it vanishes. I was told by service stations that it could be the noice of belts.
Get all belts checked at the TASS.Also,open the hood and try to see from where it comes.there are 3 main belts in engine area.Read the manual for that.

2. One of the Grey body cladding piece has gone somewhere and I can not trace it anymore (could have happened while driving), so need to know how to get if fixed them properly so that I don't keep loosing them every now and then.
Get new cladding part and get it painted/pasted and recheck all other cladding parts for proper pasting so that you dont lose them every now and then.

3. After the long drive, I could see lots of pins / screws etc. on the floor mats, is this common in Safari? What should I say to the service guys.
In which area floor? and that shouldn't be happening,ICE installers sometimes leave them.Clean the floor and keep checking for pins/screws.

thats good to know that you are enjoying the comforts of Safari.
Enjoy the ride and drive safe.
Old 24th January 2008, 17:50   #49
BHPian

Hey Man.

your point
""""1. I am observing that their is a keech keech keech sound when I start the vehicle and it will remain their for some time say, 5 to 6 KMS run for under idle for about at minute of so, after that it vanishes. I was told by service stations that it could be the noice of belts."""

This is the noise from the belt and happens normally for 3-4 mins after start. The solution is very light lubrication. Process. While the TATA guys wash the car, they wash the engine bay as well and during that, they spray a little quantity of diesel in engine bay. This makes it all go away.

enjoy and dont worry..
Old 24th January 2008, 19:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

Another way is to put light, thin layer of grease only on the top side of the belt(without touching the pulley/rotors). This trick was told by a local mechanic, works like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Hey Man.

your point
""""1. I am observing that their is a keech keech keech sound when I start the vehicle and it will remain their for some time say, 5 to 6 KMS run for under idle for about at minute of so, after that it vanishes. I was told by service stations that it could be the noice of belts."""

This is the noise from the belt and happens normally for 3-4 mins after start. The solution is very light lubrication. Process. While the TATA guys wash the car, they wash the engine bay as well and during that, they spray a little quantity of diesel in engine bay. This makes it all go away.

enjoy and dont worry..
Old 1st February 2008, 17:03   #51
BHPian

Another solution is to put a drop ot two of Glycerine (you can get a bottle at the local chemist) on the belt(s). Works like a charm.
Old 3rd February 2008, 12:03   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Another solution is to put a drop ot two of Glycerine (you can get a bottle at the local chemist) on the belt(s). Works like a charm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Another way is to put light, thin layer of grease only on the top side of the belt(without touching the pulley/rotors). This trick was told by a local mechanic, works like a charm.
I believe the application of grease or glycerine stops the noise but could cause increased belt slippage. Are you sure that is a good idea?

I have a 2002 Indica and have come to live with the occassional belt noise that comes and goes on its own. Belt tightening during service works but the noise starts in a few days again without fail .
Old 11th February 2008, 19:19   #53
BHPian

Intial Check of my Truck - Turned out to a bit of Horror Story :-

Friends,

I was due to put this short report on my initial check report of my Truck last week itself, but due to bad cold and viral fewer, I could not put the report.

Back to Report:

I took the Truck to service station at agreed time and informed the issues to service adviser in front of Customer Support Manager and left to grab to fill my hunger (as I did not had breakfast in the morning).

When I came back the Truck was in the service bay and they said they were not able to star the Truck and they fell that their might be a problem with Starter. I was shell shocked and said, I don't think so as I did start the Truck after 8 days and before driving to service stations and it was behaving perfect.

Then they said, Ok, if I don't see any issues then its fine, however they came back again after an hour or so and said they strongly feel that the problem exists and they need 2 days to fix.

I then insisted on speaking to Service GM and ask how the hell they could deliver the vehicle by clearing the PDI to an innocent customer, if the problem exists it should not have cropped up in last few days, it should have been from the day one and its show how proficient they are in service and PDI checks.

Unfortunately, GM was not available so the Customer Support Officer took the beating and assured me that they will do the proper checks and nail the issue.

Then I get a call on Monday evening (off course after me calling them and reminding / asking about the status, as I was suppose to get the vehicle delivered) they gave me wage answers and I was not convenienced. Ok, what next call the Customer Support officer again and he promises me that he will personally follow up and give me updates, from then on till I go the truck back he lived up to his words (which made me happy customer)

Finally, I get a report and these are the actions taken:

1. Fan Belt replaced (so the keech keech noice vanished)
2. Central Console Remove to check the Humming Sound and did some replacement (I don't have the job card report handy, as they have not sent to me due to issues in computers )
3. Starter Motor got replaced (under warranty, no charges, though it was not faulty, Mico guys suggested it seems, as the problem was somewhere else)
4. Complete Lock Assembly along with keys replaced (this was the actual culprit it seems, when the ignition was turned to crank the engine, it was not taking the loand and the coil was sending wrong signals to starter it seems, hence, they changed all the 3 doors + 1 stearing lock assembly)
5. Changed engine oil + oil filter (as, I insisted to do so, thought to get it done, as the truck was with them for almost 3 days).
6. Stearing Centering (they say they can't do the wheel alignment, as my truck has MAGs on it) though they agree that truck is aligned slightly to right side.

Results:

No keech keech noice at all.
Engine Noice level has reduced drastically
Truck is More responsive
Need to get the wheel alignment re-done from outside

Best Regards
Old 5th September 2008, 20:01   #54
BHPian

About to Celebrate 1st Anniversary

My Truck is about to complete its first year as on 20 Oct 08, means its also due for its second service.

I need few inputs to make a checklist for 2nd service.

The ODO reads 4600+ as of today (this is mainly due to me traveling on job frequently in the last few months) + Predominantly Home-Office-Home and occasional weekend drives when time permits.

Average FE I see 10.5 (City) to 12.0 (Highways) under full A/C.

Observations that I have are:

1. When I try to crank the engine for the first time after few hours break it wont start only on the second try the engine cranks. There is no consistency / pattern I see
2. Though I keep the RPM under 2000 max while Upshift at times I see Black smoke for the first 5-8 KMS drive after that it reduces.

Note: I am just using normal fuel and not adding any Additives, when can I start using them as I have somewhere here that after 10K on ODO one should use the additives.

3. As usual rattling noice exits, but I think its the common factor with most of the Safari's

Any inputs would be of great help.

Best Regards
Old 6th September 2008, 12:18   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I try to crank the engine for the first time after few hours break it wont start only on the second try the engine cranks. There is no consistency / pattern I see
Could be your glow plugs. Try heating them twice (yellow light on start, but prior to ignition) and then cranking her up.

Quote:
Though I keep the RPM under 2000 max while Upshift at times I see Black smoke for the first 5-8 KMS drive after that it reduces.
Don't sweat. If it reduces once you drive 5 kms, that is the time your engine is taking to reach optimum operating temperature.
Old 6th September 2008, 16:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. When I try to crank the engine for the first time after few hours break it wont start only on the second try the engine cranks.
The answer is within your post:

Quote:
My Truck is about to complete its first year as on 20 Oct 08, means its also due for its second service.
Quote:
The ODO reads 4600+ as of today
Your truck has been idle for long. Check your battery - perhaps it isnt good enough for that first crank.
Old 8th September 2008, 21:13   #57
BHPian

Hey thanks GTO and Steer,

Its wonderful to hear from you guys.

Steer,

any guidelines / pointers for me during second service? or should I stick to what manual says?

I think, I was not clear earlier my bad. Truck was not completely idle for more than 3-4 weeks at any given point of time, when it was not idle it runs about 30 KM every day, I know it might be less, but what can I do when office is little close to my home when compared to other IT crowd :-)

Note: I am just using normal fuel and not adding any Additives, when can I start using them as I have somewhere here that after 10K on ODO one should use the additives.

Best Regards
Old 9th September 2008, 10:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

You will have the following for your 1yr service.

- Engine oil/ filter change
- Engine flush*
- Air filter cleaning
- Tyre rotations and alignment *
- Checking of underbody for any loose bolts etc
- Greasing of idler arms and doors etc
- Fuel filter change*
- All essential fluid checks/ topup

* too soon for you, can be avoided till 7.5-10k. For fuel filter some say a new directive from TATA says its not needed at 2nd service.

Expect 4-5k of cost for this.

Quote:
any guidelines / pointers for me during second service? or should I stick to what manual says?
I started my safari in one crank after 3 weeks of parking, check the battery charge as suggested. I travel 15-16km only daily.

Quote:
I think, I was not clear earlier my bad. Truck was not completely idle for more than 3-4 weeks at any given point of time, when it was not idle it runs about 30 KM every day, I know it might be less, but what can I do when office is little close to my home when compared to other IT crowd :-)
If you are happy with your current running, stick to it. TATA anyways advise SystemD as an additive, nothing else.

Quote:

Best Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks