Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2007, 23:25   #61
BANNED

The reason I ask this, is because now with oil closing in at a $100/barrel, it's merely a matter of time that gas prices in India are going to sky rocket.
I initially had my eye on the 1.6, but am now contemplating the 1.1SLX and the 1.6. Not to mention a price difference of 45K between the two.

Some FE figures for the two would give me a fair idea. Besides, I drive very comfortably in the city. On the highways, I'd like to do atleast between 120-140 without pushing the engine too much.
Are these speeds easily reachable in the 1.1s, without makin' the poor engine cry?
Old 2nd December 2007, 23:44   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
The reason I ask this, is because now with oil closing in at a $100/barrel, it's merely a matter of time that gas prices in India are going to sky rocket.
I initially had my eye on the 1.6, but am now contemplating the 1.1SLX and the 1.6. Not to mention a price difference of 45K between the two.

Some FE figures for the two would give me a fair idea. Besides, I drive very comfortably in the city. On the highways, I'd like to do atleast between 120-140 without pushing the engine too much.
Are these speeds easily reachable in the 1.1s, without makin' the poor engine cry?
There is quite a difference between the FE figures of 1.1 and 1.6

City 13-14
Highway 16 - 17

City 9 - 11 ( I am getting 10-11)
Highway 13-14 ( I am getting 14)

Now till day I did not cross 300 RPM barrier. I am about to give my car for first service next week will update this post with the FE figures that am gonna get after first service am expecting it to increase :P

Naveen
Old 2nd December 2007, 23:53   #63
BANNED

Thanks for the figures.

Has anyone taken a test-drive in the new 1.1s? Just curious how they handle, especially at speeds>100kmph
Also, what colors are available in the 1.1s?

Any idea on when the Fiat Punto will be launched in India, and the approximate price tag she'll be carrying?

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 00:04   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Thanks for the figures.

Has anyone taken a test-drive in the new 1.1s? Just curious how they handle, especially at speeds>100kmph
Also, what colors are available in the 1.1s?

Any idea on when the Fiat Punto will be launched in India, and the approximate price tag she'll be carrying?

Thanks

the 1.1 feels quite sluggish. really a step back from the 1.2 palio. doesnt really feel like a drivers car more like a point a-b type car

color details and sample pics are on the fiat india site i think

edit: this site says top speed is 137 kmph though DriveInside.com - 2007 Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 SLX

Fiat Palio Stile Colours

Palio Stile 1.1 litre
Furnace Red
Ozone Blue
Alpine Green
Mint White
Carbon Black
Magnesium Grey

Palio 1.6 litre Sport
Formula Red
Carbon Black

Last edited by bottle : 3rd December 2007 at 00:08.
Old 5th December 2007, 00:10   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonblackybx View Post
I was about to ask the same.

How can we determine if car is still in "Running in" period.
If you have been pussy footing around in your GTX you can tell the difference in the engine note which I do agree is subjective and is gradual till it becomes dead silent and vibration free at traffic signals. In my GTX there was a definite change in engine note and vibration after about 9800km which could have been earlier if I had better roads in Kerala to stretch her legs.

The objective method in the GTX is to remove partially the oil dip stick and also the oil filler cap on a running engine one or the other but not simultaneously. If air seems to be rushing out with pressure from the open orifice then the running in is not over yet. Excessive gas pressures in the oil sump is the result of improper piston ring seal leading to exhaust gases in the oil sump.

In cars where the oil is filled through a cap from where you can see the valves it is easier and better. If on removing the oil filler cap partially on a warm running engine and combustion gases seem to be escaping then running in period is still remaining. Why I mentioned this is because pressures in the valve cover is a give away of incompletely sealed valve guides and valve stem. Unfortunately the oil filled in the GTX goes directly to the sump and not through the valve cover area like in other cars and hence I do not know of any way of finding out gas pressures in the valve cover area of the GTX.

The above method can also be used to assess the requirement of engine rebuilding after a few years.

In my Junkindica the engine rebuilding was required after about 30000km but I am still chugging along spewing harmful emissions. Taxi drivers using the Indica will sell their cars the moment they find gases spewing out from the oil dipstick(leading to oil sump) or oil filler orifice(leading to the valve cover area).

When buying a second hand CRDI engine from any stable do not touch it with a barge pole if gases are spewing out from the above mentioned orifices.

The above is only for the engine. The car has other moving parts too which need running in and they include the oft forgotten tires.

Bye and wear your seat belts.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 5th December 2007 at 00:12.
Old 5th December 2007, 09:50   #66
BHPian

Palio 1.6 Sports owners ... A friend of mine in Pune purchased a Palio 1.6 Sports (Yellow ... looks drop-dead gorgeous!) a few months back ... this one was the old model (not the 'Stile')

I got a chance to get behind the wheels a couple of times and for good distances as well ... all seemed excellent except for the fact that when I cranked it up, the engine would rattle immensely as if a vortex was rising through it ... reminded me of old-age diesels!

he got it serviced recently ... though the rattling has reduced significantly, it still persists ... has anyone experienced a similar thing? what could be the reason?
Old 5th December 2007, 21:13   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If you have been pussy footing around in your GTX you can tell the difference in the engine note which I do agree is subjective and is gradual till it becomes dead silent and vibration free at traffic signals. In my GTX there was a definite change in engine note and vibration after about 9800km which could have been earlier if I had better roads in Kerala to stretch her legs.

The objective method in the GTX is to remove partially the oil dip stick and also the oil filler cap on a running engine one or the other but not simultaneously. If air seems to be rushing out with pressure from the open orifice then the running in is not over yet. Excessive gas pressures in the oil sump is the result of improper piston ring seal leading to exhaust gases in the oil sump.

In cars where the oil is filled through a cap from where you can see the valves it is easier and better. If on removing the oil filler cap partially on a warm running engine and combustion gases seem to be escaping then running in period is still remaining. Why I mentioned this is because pressures in the valve cover is a give away of incompletely sealed valve guides and valve stem. Unfortunately the oil filled in the GTX goes directly to the sump and not through the valve cover area like in other cars and hence I do not know of any way of finding out gas pressures in the valve cover area of the GTX.

The above method can also be used to assess the requirement of engine rebuilding after a few years.

In my Junkindica the engine rebuilding was required after about 30000km but I am still chugging along spewing harmful emissions. Taxi drivers using the Indica will sell their cars the moment they find gases spewing out from the oil dipstick(leading to oil sump) or oil filler orifice(leading to the valve cover area).

When buying a second hand CRDI engine from any stable do not touch it with a barge pole if gases are spewing out from the above mentioned orifices.

The above is only for the engine. The car has other moving parts too which need running in and they include the oft forgotten tires.

Thanks,

Thats lot of info I need to check the status of my car's engine.
Old 5th December 2007, 21:44   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post

I got a chance to get behind the wheels a couple of times and for good distances as well ... all seemed excellent except for the fact that when I cranked it up, the engine would rattle immensely as if a vortex was rising through it ... reminded me of old-age diesels!
I guess this is car specific as there is no such rattles when I crank up my Palio 1.6
Old 5th December 2007, 22:28   #69
BHPian

all seemed excellent except for the fact that when I cranked it up, the engine would rattle immensely as if a vortex was rising through it ... reminded me of old-age diesels!

he got it serviced recently ... though the rattling has reduced significantly, it still persists ... has anyone experienced a similar thing? what could be the reason?[/quote]

The likely reasons are that the engine was not set right after an engine rebuild. Mismatching of pistons, rings and crankshaft weights.
The other reason which is more plausible is that one or more orifices leading to the valve actuating hydraulics is partially blocked. Find out if your friend changed the engine oil the last time he took it for service which could be the reason for him noting a slight improvement.
Last but not the least spark plugs; ignition wires not screwed on properly.
If you do not get a throaty extremely addictive rasp when at about 4000 to 4300rpm especially in third gear some setting is not proper. Engine noise could be there but I have not seen a single GTX that has engine vibrations at any rpm other than within normal expectations.
Bye and wear your seat belts

Last edited by drpullockaran : 5th December 2007 at 22:30.
Old 5th December 2007, 22:44   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Guyonblackbyx, congrats on your new car. Hope to see it around hitec city sometime. I work in Raheja Mindspace IT park
Old 5th December 2007, 23:33   #71
BHPian

Hi, guys dont know where to post this, seemed a likely place if wrong Mods please move to the right thread.
Here goes just took delivery of my red 1.6 sport with 49 kms on the odo, she purrs like a kitten and runs so smooth. man she is beautiful.
Old 6th December 2007, 11:28   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
all seemed excellent except for the fact that when I cranked it up, the engine would rattle immensely as if a vortex was rising through it ... reminded me of old-age diesels!

he got it serviced recently ... though the rattling has reduced significantly, it still persists ... has anyone experienced a similar thing? what could be the reason?

The likely reasons are that the engine was not set right after an engine rebuild. Mismatching of pistons, rings and crankshaft weights.
The other reason which is more plausible is that one or more orifices leading to the valve actuating hydraulics is partially blocked. Find out if your friend changed the engine oil the last time he took it for service which could be the reason for him noting a slight improvement.
Last but not the least spark plugs; ignition wires not screwed on properly.
If you do not get a throaty extremely addictive rasp when at about 4000 to 4300rpm especially in third gear some setting is not proper. Engine noise could be there but I have not seen a single GTX that has engine vibrations at any rpm other than within normal expectations.
Bye and wear your seat belts[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the valuable piece of advice ... I have informed my friend and he would take remedial action asap

-Subhash
Old 6th December 2007, 21:46   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hey Guyonblackbyx, congrats on your new car. Hope to see it around hitec city sometime. I work in Raheja Mindspace IT park
Am working at "The V" Vanenburg IT park. Mine is the only Palio Stile at "The V"
Old 30th December 2007, 12:44   #74
BHPian

Its been pretty bad day for me and my car yesterday. For first time my got scratches and a dent

First one happend at Pared grounds I was trying to park the car at a better place and my judgement went wrong and this one happend.

Result
1. few scratches on Left Front Wheel arch

2. A small dent on Left front door. Tough the door is working properly. The black strip(dont know what its called) came off but I managed to put it back but am not sure how long it will stick there. Still can see the gap between the door and the strip.

3. Couple of scratches on edges of left door.

2nd incident happend while I was taking a U turn at Tirumalgiri wrong judgement and i managed to bruise my cars front bumper. This one is not visible unless we lie down.

Last edited by guyonblackybx : 30th December 2007 at 12:52.
Old 31st December 2007, 10:46   #75
BHPian

I suppose by now your driving skills must have been customised as per your palio stile. As you have accumulated quiet sufficient scratches, i would suggest go to the Servcie center and get the denting painting done. (i suppose denting and painting is covered fully under insuarance)
The problem with Red and black colours is that they look as bad with sracthes as they look good without them. I mean the scarcthes looks more prominent on these colours.
Drive carefully and be gentle(not hard) on your palio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks