Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2008, 16:21   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hey, Juda,

- Do you also experience the 'Krrr' noise under sudden acceleration that's being discussed ?

- Can your source in Tata, help us resolve this ?

thanks
That is the common rail noise. I have heard it on a lot of 2.2s but its also absent on a few too.
Old 31st July 2008, 16:54   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hey, Juda,

- Do you also experience the 'Krrr' noise under sudden acceleration that's being discussed ?

- Can your source in Tata, help us resolve this ?

thanks
How evident is this noise? I havent particularly heard any such noise. OKay let me go back to times I used to need immediate power while overtaking. (OOps that time the ICE was blaring) let me go the other instance, yes when I rip the engine when cold you get a small distinct sound but I always thought that is the Turbocharger. Let me check this out today during my home run.

Also, just because we are talking about noises, the FULL TURN noise (When you turn the wheel fully) there is a scary "Klank" sound also I noticed that this is usually happens when the tyre pressure is less by 5 pounds in front and you turn the Steering fully. Anyone know why when, there were some post about this but am to busy to search.
Old 31st July 2008, 18:39   #393
Senior - BHPian

This noise is quite hearable, close your windows, stop your ICE try to sprint from any of the gears except 1st, you'll hear a rattle/ knocking kind of fading noise as it gains momentum.

This noise is present in May08 deliveries too, need to check with July/August 2WD deliveries.

I have heard full turn noise also long time back, but wasnt concerned, must be some joints trying to adjust to the dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
How evident is this noise? I havent particularly heard any such noise. OKay let me go back to times I used to need immediate power while overtaking. (OOps that time the ICE was blaring) let me go the other instance, yes when I rip the engine when cold you get a small distinct sound but I always thought that is the Turbocharger. Let me check this out today during my home run.

Also, just because we are talking about noises, the FULL TURN noise (When you turn the wheel fully) there is a scary "Klank" sound also I noticed that this is usually happens when the tyre pressure is less by 5 pounds in front and you turn the Steering fully. Anyone know why when, there were some post about this but am to busy to search.

Last edited by dadu : 31st July 2008 at 18:41.
Old 31st July 2008, 20:52   #394
BHPian

In my 2.2, the Krr reduced after 4000 kms. Now i hear it very rarely that too its very faint. Fullturn Klunk was also there initially but it has disappeared as i used the car over 5000kms.
Old 1st August 2008, 09:03   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I am a bit hesitant to accept this as a reason since if the heat is getting so high it will effect other fluids also in the engine bay. Shouldnt the coolant in the radiator also evaporate to some extent then.
The coolant has a higher boiling point.
The coolant circuit in the radiator is a pressurised circuit. Pressurising the circuit increases the boiling point - a-la a pressure cooker.

Yes, the coolant in the bypass coolant container is not pressurised, but then you will observe that it is next to the radiator. This provides cooling to the coolant container. .
Old 1st August 2008, 09:09   #396
Team-BHP Support

Windshield washer fluid evaporating!!?? This is the first time I am hearing such a thing. Check for a leak.
Old 1st August 2008, 10:06   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Windshield washer fluid evaporating!!?? This is the first time I am hearing such a thing. Check for a leak.
Sirjee, it is a fact. I have filled up the container in a cold engine in the evening /night. There is no drop in water level in the morning. Hence no leakage. However if the vehicle has been driven a substantial distance (engine hot) and then kept out in the (summer) sun, the water level drops.

I have not experimented by adding the commercially available windshield fluids (which may increase the boiling point) to water, which I will do in the future - subject to time.
Old 1st August 2008, 10:58   #398
Team-BHP Support

In that case there is a leak in the system. Normally the system is sealed to prevent evaporation. Water will drip out only if there is a leak at the bottom. If leak is in the pipe etc., you will get evaporation.
At the old 3.0 back home, have never faced this evaporation issue, and no special fluids are used.
Old 1st August 2008, 11:11   #399
BHPian

Regarding the krr noise, I too had it initially on my LX 2.2, with 7K on the odo now it has gone away looks like, the humming is there on sudden acceleration but the particular krr noise seems to have settled down.

The klank sound on full steering is there, had enquired with the service guys, seems to be present on all Safaris, something to do with a protruding bolt it seems, wonder why they haven't been able to solve this.. anyone going for service could get this clarified please?

I had a problem with the hissing noise on full turn of the steering, this too was discounted as ever present noise inherent to the Safari and I used to ignore it till the day the power steering fluid hose gave up on me, luckily I had reached the office parking lot already and was reversing the vehicle on full steering, suddenly there was a loud thash noise with smoke from the front of the engine and the steering immediately began to make loud grinding noises, stopped the car then and there and called the helpline. As long as the steering was in normal straight position, there would be no noise but try to turn it slightly and the grinding noise would scare the hell out of anyone, didn't try it a second time for fear of ruining things and waited for the helpline guys, when they arrived, it was diagnosed to be a power steering hose blowout just below the radiator.

Now for the instant remedy if such a thing happens to anyone god forbid: the particular hose was not in stock in entire of Bangalore, I called up all dealers, looks like mine was the first case in Bangalore probably. Concorde asked the car to be towed 20km to their Hosur road service centre but I was reluctant, with the helpline guy not able to do much after lot of tries. Finally an office driver came to the rescue, got some insulation black tapes and wound it tightly onto the hose where it had ruptured, tried with normal brown packing tapes first but they are not good enough, comes off easily. Then went to the nearest fuel pump and bought two cans of oil as suggested by the helpline guy and checked for about 15 minutes with the engine running and turning the wheels. Finally when we were satisfied that the oil was not dripping, drove off to the service station with the helpline guy trailing behind me looking for any oil marks constantly and ready to alert over the mobile phone.. covered 20 km to the service station without any issues and as i was parking the car at the service station, the hose went thash again, luckily enough to have reached safely.

I guess a separate thread should be made where only issues and fixes are updated, otherwise info gets strewn all over the place and it may be difficult for someone looking for it, mostly people wouldn't generally have the time to search all threads when the need arises actually.
Old 1st August 2008, 11:22   #400
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the tip!
This weekend I will ask them to remove air from power steering system.
Its simple to do so as told by member SUV
1. Hoist vehicle on ramp
2. Take off power steering reservoir lid
3. Start vehicle and turn steering full turn to full turn a couple of times. All air bubbles come out.
Old 1st August 2008, 12:02   #401
Senior - BHPian

Done, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
I guess a separate thread should be made where only issues and fixes are updated, otherwise info gets strewn all over the place and it may be difficult for someone looking for it, mostly people wouldn't generally have the time to search all threads when the need arises actually.
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:01   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In that case there is a leak in the system. Normally the system is sealed to prevent evaporation. Water will drip out only if there is a leak at the bottom. If leak is in the pipe etc., you will get evaporation.
At the old 3.0 back home, have never faced this evaporation issue, and no special fluids are used.
Not possible. This summer (when I faced this problem) I had filled up the container before start of a 300 km trip (and with the car / engine stone -cold) and then covered the full trip without using the windshield spray. The level in the container had dropped down to below half mark by the time I reached home again. The container was also quite Hot-Warm.

The leak in the system will be a probabillity only if the system is used either for the front wind-shield or the rear windshield or both.
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:23   #403
Team-BHP Support

Its been more than a week in our 2.2 and I have used the windshield washer quite generously, and made a 350km trip too, total mileage stands close to 800kms.
The windshield washer is still above half mark.
So there is a problem somewhere, what you are seeing is not normal.
In my indica I top the windshield washer once a month, thats it
Old 2nd August 2008, 17:00   #404
BHPian

TSK:

What you say is logical.

Even I use my Windshield washer generously now (in the rainy season - with ambient temperature low) and the container does not empty.

That is why I emphasised summer - and HOT climate.

Your vehicle is new and did not see the peak summer months of April / May. We can discuss this again next summercheers:

EDIT: I also do not remember having such a problem in my earlier Sierra - but then the position of the container was different, the engine ran cooler, and there was a lot of open space in the engine compartment.

Last edited by kingshukt : 2nd August 2008 at 17:02.
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:01   #405
Senior - BHPian

Both the side "2.2 VTT DICOR" badging got stolen today while it was parked near the house (parked 100 of times in same space earlier). No damage to the paint.

Is anyone aware if the badging can be refixed/ available at the T.A.S.S. I know it was not available Initially .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks