Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 10:15   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The same for me. At idle tacho was at 900rpm. Not sure how to calculate using the 1:2 thing as Dadu pointed out.
There is nothing to calculate as far as the tacho is concerned - what you see is what it is.

The calibration is for something else, not the rpm.

Last edited by suman : 28th March 2008 at 10:18.
Old 28th March 2008, 11:49   #257
BHPian

It is the speedo gear Calibration.

All vehicles have it including 2 wheelers have it.

In older TM vehicles they had different ratios, based on the design of speedo gear. Thus if you had to change the speedometer you must know the ratio else, your ODO or speedo readings will not be correct.

In the case of Tacho on the 2.2 / Sierra - it is a electrical Tacho (w/o cable linkages) with input from the alternator. I am a little rusty as to how it works, will inform later on.
Most of 2 Wheelers having tacho have now switched over to electrical tacho (w/o cable linkages).
Old 28th March 2008, 17:18   #258
BHPian

got a call from concorde service, need to take my vehicle for retro fitment tomorrow, anyone else got call from them for the damping pulley change?
Old 28th March 2008, 17:48   #259
Senior - BHPian

Whats the reserve quantity? ie, when the orange led starts to light.
Old 28th March 2008, 17:52   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I its 10 liters of diesel in the tank.
As I always full the beast when the amber light lights up I always get 55liters +/- a couple of liters
Old 28th March 2008, 18:02   #261
BANNED

Quote:
around 10 litres. I would recommend filling diesel as soon as or before you encounter this orange light.

Similar to Steeroid's beached whale experience (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/236736-post96.html), I went up an incline to a bunk with very little fuel and stalled. The truck refused to start. Unlike Steeroid, I had the luxury of slowly rolling back down the incline, waiting for a while and restarting.
Old 28th March 2008, 18:23   #262
BHPian

Congrats dadu it must be awesome owning a Safari man.

Last edited by katalysm76 : 28th March 2008 at 18:30.
Old 28th March 2008, 18:28   #263
BHPian

can the fuel pump be operated manually in case there is a need on the safari? should be, will enquire with the service guys tomorrow and update here.

i suffered this once on the bolero, within 1st month of purchase, there was a broken pipe and diesel was flowing out freely.. never realized it until an auto guy pointed out at a traffic signal.. immediately stopped but by the time the mahindra mobile service guys reached me, fuel levels had dropped considerably and i got to learn of manual fuel pumps.. still feel the chill thinking of it, diesel though not as spontaneous to catch fire as petrol, the what if always lingers in the mind.
Old 28th March 2008, 19:59   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
can the fuel pump be operated manually in case there is a need on the safari?

yes TATA has given a balloon in the engine bay. its used if your beast has no fuel and fuel pump has taken in air. Its on the right hand side (when you are facing the car). One can squeeze the balloon and i believe that this helps (Though I have never have been unfortunate to try this).
Its also mentioned in the service manual.
Will try to post a pic soon
Old 28th March 2008, 22:56   #265
BHPian

Quote:
can the fuel pump be operated manually in case there is a need on the safari? should be, will enquire with the service guys tomorrow and update here.

i suffered this once on the bolero, within 1st month of purchase, there was a broken pipe and diesel was flowing out freely.. never realized it until an auto guy pointed out at a traffic signal.. immediately stopped but by the time the mahindra mobile service guys reached me, fuel levels had dropped considerably and i got to learn of manual fuel pumps.. still feel the chill thinking of it, diesel though not as spontaneous to catch fire as petrol, the what if always lingers in the mind.
the one operated manually might be the feed pump.I think the fuel pump doest not work manually.

Last edited by stable rock : 28th March 2008 at 23:05.
Old 29th March 2008, 13:29   #266
Senior - BHPian

Yes, turbanman got to use it on his recent Goa trip, he got stalled looking for the pump and had to fetch 1 liter diesel and then use the pump before the safari could start. But his needle had reached almost empty before this happenned.

Harjeev, which page specify this usage, just for my info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
yes TATA has given a balloon in the engine bay. its used if your beast has no fuel and fuel pump has taken in air. Its on the right hand side (when you are facing the car). One can squeeze the balloon and i believe that this helps (Though I have never have been unfortunate to try this).
Its also mentioned in the service manual.
Will try to post a pic soon
Thanks katalysm , it has been few months now.
Old 29th March 2008, 22:11   #267
BHPian

Dampener pulley replacement

After a check, Concorde has decided that the dampener pulley in my Safari need not be replaced. It seems my vehicle already carries the new design.
Old 29th March 2008, 22:34   #268
BHPian

got my pulley changed at concorde, took almost the whole day. vehicle seems much better to drive, thanks to the clutch bleeding that they did free of cost. the pulley change is required for vehicles before feb it seems.

the cranking seems faster now, may be i am biased in my mind reading about it earlier.. lets' see.

about the fuel pump, the service guy showed me how to do that when air comes into the fuel lines.. 5-6 presses of the balloon should do the trick as per him. good to know about it, though do not plan to use it.. :-)

Last edited by aburagohain : 29th March 2008 at 22:35. Reason: the pulley change is required for vehicles before feb it seems.
Old 30th March 2008, 11:19   #269
Senior - BHPian

Did he tell you how to detect the "air in the lines" and then use the pump or you have to know beforehand that fuel is finished before you use the pump.

Anyways what's the exact sequence of it.

Quote:
about the fuel pump, the service guy showed me how to do that when air comes into the fuel lines.. 5-6 presses of the balloon should do the trick as per him. good to know about it, though do not plan to use it.. :-)
Old 30th March 2008, 16:15   #270
BHPian

in normal condition, if you press the balloon, you can feel the liquid inside resisting, if that is not there then the air has taken over.. 5-6 squeezes should take the air out and the feel of the fuel should come back according to the service person i talked to.. provided there is still some fuel left somewhere, though i guess this condition is best avoided, the bottom of the tank would always contain some debris and those getting into the engine pass the filter somehow would not be a good thing.

good indication is needle down, fuel low light on and vehicle doesn't start and your battery is good/ cranking happening properly.

these are my versions only, anyone going to the service station can please clarify these points and update here for all of us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks