Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 09:07   #106
BHPian

Dadu,

I have now filled up with plain diesel.
The "Krrr..." noise is now much reduced.

Other owners can try the same and give a feedback.
Old 7th January 2008, 10:04   #107
Senior - BHPian

turbanman also experienced lower noise levels after switching to normal diesel, it seems 2.2l likes normal diesel. This is what he wrote in his blog:

Quote:
As you might know I have been driving the Beast on HP Turbojet since acquiring her. Yesterday had to fill up at the closest pump as the tank was almost empty after returning from the 2 day de-squeaking stint at the workshop. Filled up some BP normal diesel.

Today did about 50 kms with a mixture of highway and city run. The engine is sounding much better and noise levels have decreased. The feel is crisper and the vehicle feels more responsive after the change to normal diesel. I don't know if this is just in my head but the engine noise & vibration levels are definitely down
Therefore normal diesel for my 2.2 in the next fill , it definitely seems the way of life with 2.2l.

Also to add to the engine oil change theory, I was randomly checking the engine bay and foudn the following printed on the engine oil filter:

"....change every 8000 km"

"....change every 10000 km"

couldnt read the first part since it was out of sight.

So my opinion is to change the oil+filter at 7500 kms, if the components cant support 15k mileage, I wonder how TATA's recommend a change only at 15k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Dadu,

I have now filled up with plain diesel.
The "Krrr..." noise is now much reduced.

Other owners can try the same and give a feedback.
Old 7th January 2008, 11:52   #108
BHPian

Regular Vs Premium Deisel

I have filled my tank with regular diesel (with System D) the last 2 times. I feel it is better than the TurboJet/ExtraMile. The dive is much smoother. The guys at Tata's also reco regular deisel.

As far as the service is concerned they insist that it should be done at 15 K. Why should we not beleive them????
Old 7th January 2008, 12:16   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Also to add to the engine oil change theory, I was randomly checking the engine bay and foudn the following printed on the engine oil filter:

"....change every 8000 km"

"....change every 10000 km"

couldnt read the first part since it was out of sight.

So my opinion is to change the oil+filter at 7500 kms, if the components cant support 15k mileage, I wonder how TATA's recommend a change only at 15k.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Furthur on the Engine oil change ....

I went for my 1st service on saturday to B U Bhandari - Wakad. Took ~ 30 minutes to locate the workshop. It is a little inside on the Mumbai highway
I got the engine oil and filter changed (more on that experience later). The Oil filter is same (by part no) as that of the 3L dicor. The printing on that "would" be in line with what is specified for 3L Dicor or any other car that TM would be putting these filters on. TM are notoriously bad for correcting such minor (??) mistakes. Their Owner's Manual has mistakes galore!! eg: the Oils specified on the lubrication chart is the CF4 oil for 3L dicor

Anyway on my 1st service experience....
I had put up 14 issues many of which were queries and "explainations required".
On the "Krrr..." sound, When brake Pedal is pressed hard in stationary car with engine running a whistling sound is heard, and Tappet noise in idling they raised their hand
]Said, all these issues are in all the vehicles that they have seen and I was advised to take up the matter with TM.
Anyway the Krrr sound is now much reduced with normal Diesel . I only hope that nothing is screwed up with the use of 2 tank full of Turbojet and Hi-Speed diesel.

The tappet noise (though very less cannot be rectified because the tappets on the 2.2 is a hydraulic tappet without (??) adjustment. Maybe some boffins on this forum can throw some light on this subject.

On the subject of oil change now... I showed them my manual and insisted when they informed me that there is no oil change. All their Top-bosses broke their heads on the matter...referred to TM and then agreed that oil change is specified. (TM did not close this issue till day end ). I was then told very gently that they did not have the CH4 oil and they did not know which make of oil is TM approved. I showed them the TM service circular (meant for commercial vehicles) which specified the make(s) of the oils - as per CH4 - approved by TM. Offered to procure the oil independently if they agreed and if my warranty is not affected. Again they went into a huddle and agreed, if the oil procurred is as specified. Any way I got the oil and they changed it along with the oil filter. This was the 1st oil change that they did in a 2.2. (The oil in the filter had increased in viscosity and had some rough feeling (like in Apricot Face scrub - if you know what I am trying to explain)[/FONT]
The engine oil was OK though blackened (I had run ~ 1022 KM when I brought the Beast to the service centre).

I was allowed free access to the workshop area and nobody complained. Infact they showed me everything and made it a point to call me if they wanted me to be assurred. (The engine oil filter is an example. They showed me the original filter and the one that they replacing with - showed me the Part nos on both) In fact I also insisted that they check up the ECU with the software and showed them that the manual specified it for every service - they agreed.

The washing was thoroughly professional. There were 4 persons on one car and the head honcho checked up every now and then. I got a sms on Friday from TM reminding me that my service is the next day and I got another SMS informing me that the servicing is over (when I was paying the bill!!).

Spend 8 hours in the worshop - 9 to 5. I also carried my lunch with me (sandwiches) - though the workshop had a canteen.
Overall a very pleasing experience.

Note from mod: DO not use FONT and size tags, The smiley limit per post is 2. Please go through the rules.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th January 2008 at 12:26.
Old 7th January 2008, 13:33   #110
BHPian

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Furthur on the Engine oil change ....

I went for my 1st service on saturday to B U Bhandari - Wakad. Took ~ 30 minutes to locate the workshop. It is a little inside on the Mumbai highway .....
So what is the final verdict, should the engine oil be changed on the 1st service at 1K Km? If so what is the prescribed make, grade and the rough cost?
Old 7th January 2008, 14:53   #111
BHPian

No Final verdict yet. - as I see it.

As regards oil specs / make and price please see my post no 101 in the same thread.
Old 7th January 2008, 23:53   #112
BHPian

congrats on your beast.enjoy yourself
Old 8th January 2008, 09:18   #113
BHPian

Thanks..
Now that the Krrr sound is reasonably resolved the next issue should be the "Khat" sound on full turn.
Old 11th January 2008, 14:34   #114
BHPian

The khat sound seems to be from a protruding nut that brushes against another protrusion (don't know how many more...) at full turn, as per the service guys, present on all vehicles and not rectifiable.. gotta live with it seems.
the krr sound is reduced in my vehicle too, but can't really tell was it after the first service or after normal diesel, am out of town, really missing the vehicle..
Old 11th January 2008, 17:19   #115
BHPian

What I did is - go under the vehicle and applied grease to every joint - that moves or rotates including the torsion bar rubber bushes. (I know that applying grease from the outside of a joint/bush is not really very effective) and then I found that the noise has reduced ( maybe I am lucky)
Old 11th January 2008, 17:43   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks..
Now that the Krrr sound is reasonably resolved the next issue should be the "Khat" sound on full turn.
The Center pin needs greasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
The khat sound seems to be from a protruding nut that brushes against another protrusion (don't know how many more...) at full turn, as per the service guys, present on all vehicles and not rectifiable.. gotta live with it seems.
Definitely rectifiable - surfaced in my vehicle in the first week, has since disappeared & not come back (post greasing). Be a little careful about the full lock position though, pump the throttle a bit when doing it. I've been told that the power steering pump needs some boost when on full lock & doing it at idle or very low revs strains the pump - try releasing the clutch at full left or right lock without slightly revving & you'll find that the truck stalls violently

Last edited by suman : 11th January 2008 at 17:49.
Old 12th January 2008, 17:36   #117
Senior - BHPian

Applying grease to rubber bushes doesnt feel good, it can reduce the life etc, the grease soaked rubber can become brittle over time, will pick up dirt, never to let it go.

Quote:
What I did is - go under the vehicle and applied grease to every joint - that moves or rotates including the torsion bar rubber bushes. (I know that applying grease from the outside of a joint/bush is not really very effective) and then I found that the noise has reduced ( maybe I am lucky)
Old 14th January 2008, 09:15   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Applying grease to rubber bushes doesnt feel good, it can reduce the life etc, the grease soaked rubber can become brittle over time, will pick up dirt, never to let it go.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry. I did not explain properly.
I did not apply grease on top of the rubber bushes. As an example - I tried to insert grease between the torsion bar and the rubber bushes (I had to remove the engine cover to get complete access.) I know that applying grease on top of the rubber bushes is of no use.
Similar for the other joints.

However I am not sure about grease reducing the life of these bushes. These are not natural rubber bushes. These would be nitrile or some synthetic rubber bushes. These would be quite resistant to grease / oil.
I use a NLGI-3 graphite - moly grease.
Old 14th January 2008, 09:32   #119
BHPian

P.S:
Dadu - on 2nd thought you have a point.
I will now go under again and rub-off the excess grease that may have crept on to the surface of the bushes.

Any way the noise is now practically eliminated.

I had asked the car to be greased during the 1st service (just for this khat noise) and they had done it (they only grease grease points). This had not solved the problem and hence I had to go under to try my luck (had to face a lot of flak from the home ministry - you fiddle with the car too much - it was just serviced....)
Old 14th January 2008, 10:26   #120
Senior - BHPian

Are you a DIY guy or took help from a local garage to open up the engine cover ???

I like DIY as you can get more perfection if you do it yourself.

If you DidIY, what is the spanner number to open the engine cover nuts below ??

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------

I had to remove the engine cover to get complete access.

OT: Any bangalore DIY guys in here ??? pls PM.

Last edited by dadu : 14th January 2008 at 10:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks