Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 11:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

Dadu, sorry to hear about the first scratch, it always hurts no matter whether the first or subsequent - the only saving grace is that you have a color where these show up less
Old 17th December 2007, 11:17   #77
BHPian

Sorry to hear the "first scratch" dadu. Infact, my first brush/ bruise with my car goes back to 2003 with my Indigo delivered mint fresh at Gurgaon. That evening, when I took out my car on a stroll, a "tri-cycle" brushed it from the left. The car was only 3 hours old & 5 Kms young.

Heavy hearts you find these days...I shud say.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

Scratches seem inevitable during these environments, I found another small one probably by some kid and brushed my LORVM against the wall while parking in the driveway yesterday night

In my other car too, most scratches were caused either by the playing children or in the parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Sorry to hear the "first scratch" dadu. Infact, my first brush/ bruise with my car goes back to 2003 with my Indigo delivered mint fresh at Gurgaon. That evening, when I took out my car on a stroll, a "tri-cycle" brushed it from the left. The car was only 3 hours old & 5 Kms young.

Heavy hearts you find these days...I shud say.
Old 18th December 2007, 11:25   #79
Senior - BHPian

Went on a drive last weekend and have posted the travelogue here

Forgot to mention, already done more than 800 Kms (in total) by the time I was back home.

Last edited by dadu : 18th December 2007 at 11:29.
Old 25th December 2007, 13:16   #80
Senior - BHPian

Got the first service done yesterday at 940km, Concorde Motors, Mysore Road, service advisor, Ranjith. Here is the experience:

Had Booked in 10 days advance but to my surprise they blocked a space on 25th a holiday but anyhow accomodated me, although the service advisor came in the morning with a repeated word" Dont take unbooked cars" to the reception.

The reported issues were:

a) Knocking from underchassis
b) "Krrr" noise from engine, while sudden pickup.
c) Headlight level adjustment
d) Touchup job
e) 1k service
f) Squeaking noise from brakes + adjustment
g) handbrake adjustment

Here is the resolution given:

a) Chasis master headbolt were loose, tightened
b) Normal noise from gearbox
c) Done
d) Paint color not available, cannot be done
e) Done oil topups etc, washing not done properly with white streaks on body and glass not cleaned properly, reason given: water is hard.
f) Brakes cleaned and adjusted
g) Done

Total cost of topups used: Rs 40

Time taken : 9 hrs

I will try the Hosur road concorde next time as I was not very happy with the washing job(hard water !!!) although was happy that there are no noises left now that can be heard from the cabin, although I could see that they struggled to find the source for 2 hrs, removed wheels etc too.

I also noticed that there are service supervisors inside the workshop which get most of the work done, the service advisor hardly visited them (2-3 times) and initially made guesses on whats going on inside the workshop, when I asked for status.

There was a huge backlog for washing/cleaning which took another 2/3hrs, I could see the rest of it finishing by 1 PM.

Last edited by dadu : 25th December 2007 at 13:25.
Old 25th December 2007, 15:27   #81
BHPian

The reported issues were:

a) Knocking from underchassis
b) "Krrr" noise from engine, while sudden pickup.
-----------------------------------------------------
Dadu,

I am facing this "KRRR" noise during sudden pickup. I tried to find out the source for this noise and have come to a conclusion that the same is from the VTT.
The noise is akin to a fan blade rubbing on the casing - which is the general construction of the VTT.
While on this subject I would like to give another input that I filled up with with BPCL Hi-Speed (Premium) diesel during the last fill and observed that the "KRR..." noise has reduced. The 1st fill was with HPCL-Turbojet.
There may be some issues with the additive package that these oil companies put in their Premium Diesel.
I have deided to fill in with regular Disel next time. Let us see ....
Old 25th December 2007, 23:36   #82
BHPian

dadu, did you wait the whole 9 hours there at the service station? nice of you to share the experience, i am working hard on mile munching whenever possible to get to that 1k mark and get my vehicle serviced. am going to the same service station that you had visited. i think the big vehicles like sumo and safari are serviced by concorde only at the mysore road or the hosur road service facilities.

the krrr noise in 1/2 gear acceleration is present in my vehicle too, i had taken it up with the service guys there when i went for check-up regarding the ac vent smoke. the cro told me the noise is from the differential and can't be rectified, it's present in the 3L also, as is the hissing sound on a full turn, 3L owners could please throw some light here.

recently i have noticed a sound akin to that of a rice-mill on full load (bad example, but that's all i could relate the sound to) when doing half clutch in 1/2 gears, it's not very audible, but if you listen carefully putting all stereo and co-passenger to silent mode, you hear or more like it, feel the sound.. is that a case of clutch slip by any chance? it feels like the engine flywheel is slipping against a smooth surface when it should have actually taken grip.. not very sure, if someone could explain the actual clutch operation it'd be great!

had the first brush with traffic last weekend, a zen's right orvm scrapped against my left, wasn't my fault though.. drove off without any fuss, can't undo it anyway.. was happy the next morning to see that all damage done was a line drawn across the plastic cladding.. easily rubbed off to near invisible, the height sure matters
Old 26th December 2007, 00:55   #83
BHPian

small correction, i thought dadu had written about the hosur road service station, my mistake.

concorde doesn't service big vehicles in their dairy circle service station, the big ones have to go to either mysore road or the one at hosur road, will post the experience at the hosur road facility once i finish the servicing, 100 more km to go.

cheers!
Old 26th December 2007, 09:21   #84
Senior - BHPian

I have always used bpcl hi-speed diesel and never regular one, keep us posted on your findings using the normal diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
While on this subject I would like to give another input that I filled up with with BPCL Hi-Speed (Premium) diesel during the last fill and observed that the "KRR..." noise has reduced. The 1st fill was with HPCL-Turbojet.
There may be some issues with the additive package that these oil companies put in their Premium Diesel.
I have deided to fill in with regular Disel next time. Let us see ....
Old 26th December 2007, 09:33   #85
Senior - BHPian

Just recollected, the booking lady never knew that safri 2.2 has to be serviced at 1k, she thought it was 10k and checked the manual before booking, perhaps mine was the first one there.

The ambient temp shown in the Odo is of outside, the service advisor made some calls + went to the service manager to ascertain whats it about.

Yes, only hosur road and mysore road service safari, you can book 2 days in advance too. I was there for the whole 9 hrs but there is nothing much you can do apart from looking from the glass window, they dont allow you in the workshop.

Carried my lunch (sandwitches) along since you dont get anything to eat nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
dadu, did you wait the whole 9 hours there at the service station? nice of you to share the experience, i am working hard on mile munching whenever possible to get to that 1k mark and get my vehicle serviced. am going to the same service station that you had visited. i think the big vehicles like sumo and safari are serviced by concorde only at the mysore road or the hosur road service facilities.

The hissing sound is of the power steering assembly releasing the air pressure, very normal. even the krr sound seems normal after the service advisors explanation.

Quote:
the krrr noise in 1/2 gear acceleration is present in my vehicle too, i had taken it up with the service guys there when i went for check-up regarding the ac vent smoke. the cro told me the noise is from the differential and can't be rectified, it's present in the 3L also, as is the hissing sound on a full turn, 3L owners could please throw some light here.
Even I thought the same earlier (clutch slip) but final verdict is that its a feeling but not true.

Quote:
recently i have noticed a sound akin to that of a rice-mill on full load (bad example, but that's all i could relate the sound to) when doing half clutch in 1/2 gears, it's not very audible, but if you listen carefully putting all stereo and co-passenger to silent mode, you hear or more like it, feel the sound.. is that a case of clutch slip by any chance? it feels like the engine flywheel is slipping against a smooth surface when it should have actually taken grip.. not very sure, if someone could explain the actual clutch operation it'd be great!
Good, keep a rubbing solution in hand for these and then there is always the nailpolish (same colour, 2-3 touchup coats) + clear nailpolish (again 2-3 touchup coats) can do wonders on those small scratches.

Quote:
had the first brush with traffic last weekend, a zen's right orvm scrapped against my left, wasn't my fault though.. drove off without any fuss, can't undo it anyway.. was happy the next morning to see that all damage done was a line drawn across the plastic cladding.. easily rubbed off to near invisible, the height sure matters
Old 26th December 2007, 10:16   #86
BHPian

1st service at 1k

Dadu,

Even the guys in Delhi did not know about the 1 K service. i had to littlerly fight with them to convince them. As, far the other issues youu have mentioned, I have dome 4K on mine and
1. The Krrrrrr....noise increses and decreases......so i am sure its from VTT. because sudden rip to 3500rpmfrom 2000 that Krrrrrrr noise goes crazy.
2. The hissing sound when you turn full radius isnormal accoding to the guys.
3. I crashed mine yesterday, thanks to a Innova call centre driver who cut me and I crashed into the divider doint 60+ rammed the light pole and came back on the road and drove on....sounds crazy but thats exaclty what happened, however i had put the big Bull Gaurd infront so the only damage was some underbody scraching and the driver side fog light broke.

Last edited by moodswings : 26th December 2007 at 10:22. Reason: edit
Old 26th December 2007, 14:11   #87
BHPian

Dadu,

I just remembered that you have only topped the oil up. You have not changed it ? Any reason...

For the record All tata cars are factory filled with CF4 grade oil and not the CH4 grade which is mentioned in the manual. (the Tata Trucks are factory filled with CH4). The reason could be that the 1st servicing is at 1000/1500 km and there is a oil change anyway + the car is supposed to driven carefully in the break-in period anyway.
Old 26th December 2007, 18:07   #88
BHPian

dadu, which oil did they top up with, did you ask?

if they are not changing the oil at first service, probably the run-in doesn't have to be very strict. the hosur road service guys told me the 2k rpm restriction is not needed, as opposed to the sales guys at concorde. and it seemed the hosur road guys do know the 2.2, the manager asked me to book first service when i cross 1k so that by the time the slot comes up, i am between 1 and 1.5k.

now should i go for oil change or not is the big question, can the other owners comment on this?

what would be a good way to keep the vehicle if one happens to go out of station for a month or so? any special care to be taken?
Old 26th December 2007, 18:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

There is no oil change to be done at 1k service as per the 2.2ltr service manual, only recommendation is to change at 7500km(instead of 15000km) if more than 50% of the driving is in the city, which I will decide once I reach that figure under city driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Dadu,

I just remembered that you have only topped the oil up. You have not changed it ? Any reason...

For the record All tata cars are factory filled with CF4 grade oil and not the CH4 grade which is mentioned in the manual. (the Tata Trucks are factory filled with CH4). The reason could be that the 1st servicing is at 1000/1500 km and there is a oil change anyway + the car is supposed to driven carefully in the break-in period anyway.
Old 29th December 2007, 22:32   #90
Senior - BHPian

hosur road service center experience.

Dadu,

My experience with the Hosur road fellas was quite ok. Perhaps my expectations were low!!!

Interesting fact when i called to book for service - Saturday / Sunday is for 'yellow board' cars only !!, so had to leave the car for service on a weekday. They delivered the car to my office, so saved me some trouble of going back.

Since it rained that day, I cant comment on the washing experience. I fail to understand why these blokes cant use a window Squeeze, and insist on using the rags to clean glass. Its not just concorde, but any service station you go to..

Issues reported to 1st service:

- screeching noise from steering - fixed.
- door alignments - done
- rear jump seats rattling - fixed.
- paint touch up on spare wheel cover - not done. no explanation.
quoted 2k to paint the whole cover rather than touch up the small scratches. I asked him to do hand touch up. I am thinking of trying out 'compaint' spray. will have to find out where it is available.

......and they had the audacity to put that 'concorde' sticker on the rear door.. inspite of being told not to. that sticker looks cheap! They do it as if it is their birth right.

Car feels better to drive after service. Highway FE around 13kpl on xtramile/turbojet. city driving gives about 9.5kpl. Asked the service advisor about it - reply came - wait for the engine to settle upto 3k kms to get better FE.

I finally got that front bumper chrome patti. costs around 3.5k. Had to send a 'love note' to tata motors before some action could happen. Once they got the spare, i got atleast 3 calls asking me to bring the vehicle for repair

Happy motoring in 2008!! Drive safe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks