Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2007, 14:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

And the Xenons HIDS kits, there are a lot of chinese Xenons coming the market which are ****. The Siemens and the Bosch ones i found quite good.[/quote]

Moodswings,

How much did the xenons for the safari cost you ?
Old 5th December 2007, 16:48   #62
BHPian

Yeah, thats the perfect way of turning the beast...saurav, I think you did a terrific job in explaining that via diagram...

Avi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its difficult to explain so I decided to use a picture, assuming the center one as the divider, the keyhole maneuver can gives you a single shot turn as opposed to turning from close to the divider(depends upon available road width).

I hope you can make out the keyhole
Old 6th December 2007, 17:31   #63
BHPian

[quote=vividisha;647180]Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to team-bhp. Thanks to the reviews from you folks I had gone ahead and booked the new BEAST, and last week I got the delivery of my truck - cycus grey LX - from manipal motors ( the sankey road - showroom ). Did a few installations over the weekend - reverse camera , keyless entry, etc and did a first worthwhile drive on this Sunday.

did you get the wheels changed to alloys by chance??? & how much did it cost you??
Old 8th December 2007, 20:24   #64
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
No objections. But that could be because I didnt ask I just brought it home.
Steeroid, I tried that when I picked up a new car while in the UK 3yrs ago. She still has'nt let me forget it. comes up during every fight/argument, and also during times when she wants sympathy from any listener about how inconsiderate her husband is.

Old 8th December 2007, 21:28   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
dadu : Suddenly I press the "Unlock" button on the remote and twist the key, roar....it starts.

Realize that it locks itself even if the door is left open and no key activity after sometime.
The immobilizer that Tata uses will not let the engine crank. A Scorp's engine will crank, but will not start.
Quote:
dadu : - The wheel size scares you for the effort involved in changing it after puncture. Plan to buy a portable pump using 12v CL point,
Check out the two models that are available at Metro. At least one is a mechanical model.
Quote:
dadu : I hope you can make out the keyhole
I did, but I just hope that the two-wheelers behind you realize you are going in for the key-hole manoeuver, and stop themselves from over-taking at the same moment you are trying to do that U-turn.

Last edited by condor : 8th December 2007 at 21:33.
Old 9th December 2007, 09:29   #66
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I did, but I just hope that the two-wheelers behind you realize you are going in for the key-hole manoeuver, and stop themselves from over-taking at the same moment you are trying to do that U-turn.
That is the only problem with the keyhole maneuver, therefore did not try it during my offroader/softroader TD yesterday and sufferred, having to do 3 point turns on the NH 47 byepass

Old 9th December 2007, 11:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Ofcourse, you have to have the space and the judgement to do it.

I have seen cars being banged/ppl trying to squeeze from behind even on a normal U-turn with indicators/hand signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Old 9th December 2007, 13:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Dadu, fantastic choice. I love the Safari but practicality has made me stick with the Innova.
Old 9th December 2007, 14:13   #69
BHPian

Poor rippergeo.

Frankly most of the time you have little space let alone do the key hole turn.

Thanks for all the comments on Safari and someone also said that his engine stopped on an Esteem. I will not be going for any microchip controlled vehicle.

I did a nearly perfect U- Turn when I did not know how to drive only I pressed the accelerator too hard while finishing the tun so I was fish tailing.

LOL
Old 9th December 2007, 15:48   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
That is the only problem with the keyhole maneuver, therefore did not try it during my offroader/softroader TD yesterday and sufferred, having to do 3 point turns on the NH 47 byepass
The NH47 byepass is a road I drive on quite frequently when I am in the country. Considering that its a 4-lane highway (2 + 2 + divider), where exactly on that stretch did you have to do 3-point turns?

Forget the NH byepass, I am able to do this 'keyhole manouvre' on our extremely narrow M.G Road on most occassions. I'm talking about Kavita and Padma Junctions as well as the Jos Junction U-turn in front of Ensign.
Old 9th December 2007, 19:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

My first brush in the traffic....

I was crossing the Apollo junction (bannerghatta road) towards dairy circle coming from jayanagar side and saw a huge traffic pileup, some truck was reversing and traffic police trying to manage the traffic and the truck too.

I was in the rightmost lane as it gets very narrow at the junction with a hole in the road on the left and a barrier kept vertically to prevent ppl getting into it and then they stopped the rightturn for the truck and one of the helpers also stopped the turn to the left. I was half into the turn but stopped.

The traffic cop signalled the helper to let the left traffic go and also allowed the traffic from the diagonal opposite left lane to take their right turn so the traffic was open diagonally.

I slowly turned to the left keeping my lane as much as I could as their was traffic flowing from the opposite lane towards me(right turn) and crash, could hear sound like mangled iron and plastic. Saw the LORVM, couldnt see anything.

My first reaction was "Shte,doors gone now along with the cladding".

I could hear the other guy reversing and my wife telling me its a maruti 800. I also reversed a bit (an auto at back) keeping the same steering direction to get out of it and then took a bit straight and then let the 800 pass with me following to a stop after the turn.

Got down checked my sidecladding there was a very minor paint wearoff at the corner of the left front door begining.

Now that guy comes to me and the usual argument start, father and son. Mother on the back had already cursed that helper while turning. His bumper had come off from its seating on the right and 1/2 locks in front also broken but not completely off and my cladding paint was visible on the front side corner although superficial, no dents, his car was already dirty with a big dent in the front hood. But they agree the confusion was created by the police chap. We both continued our versions for a few minutes.

The policeman to clear traffic was signalling us from a distance to move on, so we both sat in our vehicles and moved on with no conclusion.

After crossing the dairy circle and near big bazaar, they suddenly show up (I thought it was clearly noone's mistake) and the again we started the conversation, I told them that it was already so chaotic there and I was following my lane and turning, but they were of the opinion that since I had a bigger vehicle I should be more careful, to which I told I was and even checked my LORVM before turning.

I told them to go back to the same police guy/station since it was noones mistake but an accident. I told them that my paint was also damaged and they should get it repaired since I was already ahead of them in the lane.

It was going nowhere and both seemed educated and well behaved, so we decided to not argue further into it. The father said " I know it was chaotic and confusion on the junction but I just want the bumper to be fixed back". I holded the bumper with the body (only the locks had broken) and told them to take it to a workshop and they will fix it with 1 screw on the side and the bumper will be back in place. if not I will take them to a workshop which will do it and gave my card to them, asking to call me, if they cant get it done..

Although the damage was minor for me, I felt bad for them since any car is precious for their owners, my wife was even telling me to pay them for the bumper if they call, but I am sure a screw or two can repair the it and as I said it was an accident with noone to blame but traffic.

So carried on after thinking that the first scratch has come now and feeling sad about it. :(

Last edited by dadu : 9th December 2007 at 19:42.
Old 9th December 2007, 19:46   #72
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The NH47 byepass is a road I drive on quite frequently when I am in the country. Considering that its a 4-lane highway (2 + 2 + divider), where exactly on that stretch did you have to do 3-point turns?

Forget the NH byepass, I am able to do this 'keyhole manouvre' on our extremely narrow M.G Road on most occassions. I'm talking about Kavita and Padma Junctions as well as the Jos Junction U-turn in front of Ensign.
I'm not used to the turning radius of the SUVs, was doing a U turn for the 1st time.this was when returning from kakkanad to the tata/ford dealerships after the TD.

I did want to do the keyhole turn, but did not want to risk getting T boned by an over enthusiastic biker on the driver side doors. so got really close to the median and tried taking a U like i would in a hatch or sedan, with full lock. I ended up at a 90 degree angle to the direction of the road with no hard shoulder to use- there was a truck parked there. had to reverse, then get the nose pointed in the right direction.

Just inexperience with an SUV thats all.

Old 10th December 2007, 14:53   #73

Oil Leakage in Safai 2.2 and 3.0

Dear Safari Owners,

Have you come across any kind of oil leakage in you new safari. If yes then what was the cause and how was it fixed.

I have been reading the reviews and some 3.0 & 2.0 folks have complained about this problem.

Cheers.
Old 10th December 2007, 15:33   #74
Senior - BHPian

I havent noticed any, but still need to recheck on my 2.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapil_Arora View Post
Dear Safari Owners,

Have you come across any kind of oil leakage in you new safari. If yes then what was the cause and how was it fixed.

I have been reading the reviews and some 3.0 & 2.0 folks have complained about this problem.

Cheers.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:52   #75
BHPian

oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapil_Arora View Post
Dear Safari Owners,

Cheers.
i have noticed few drops on 3rd day of buying my Safari 2.2. There membersin forum, who have faced similer issues.
I reqest them to consolidate their process to get rid of it.

Bhpian's please help the fellow brothers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks