Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 13:51   #361
Senior - BHPian

Did not think that this might be such a 'huge' task!!!

I believe this comes with some of the new model security systems.

But, say, does this feature come as a standard fitment in any of the vehicle available here?
Old 11th June 2008, 09:58   #362
Senior - BHPian

Thats the problem, with newer models comes new technologies and with new technologies comes

The SE told me that its easier to configure on the older Safari but since this is a new model the features have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Did not think that this might be such a 'huge' task!!!

I believe this comes with some of the new model security systems.

But, say, does this feature come as a standard fitment in any of the vehicle available here?
Old 11th June 2008, 10:31   #363
BHPian

On the Krr noise front, I received a email from my BIL who in HMIL and I quote from his email:

Quote:
Any way hows your Safari doing? I saw you are facing a problem of some krrr noise while sudden accelerator pressing.

I had faced a similar problem sometime back in a Verna CRDi and found out that in the the EGR there is a Waste gate actuator which has a inbuilt diaphragm which moves to operate the waste gate linkage when intake pressure becomes excessive. If the diaphragm or, the spring tension is not very very accurate, it results in a slight kur kur noise on sudden acceleration but this will not happen on gradual accelerator pressing.

Sadly we had to replace the whole turbo assly as it is not allowed to be opened in a dealer workshop and goes back to technical section under warranty.
Unquote.

He did tell me later on that the above change has eliminated the noise.

This brings us to the moot question..
Almost all the Safaris on this forum (except for the 1st lot vehicles - ADC please excuse) have the Krr noise.
It is therefore not a localised problem restricted to a few vehicles.
Did TM change the source of the EGR or have they reprogrammed/modified the ECU after launch ?

Last edited by kingshukt : 11th June 2008 at 10:32.
Old 11th June 2008, 11:14   #364
Senior - BHPian

Now thats its pointing towards the wastegate actuator, my Question is "how to resolve it ??"

Best thing to do is to collect all the information regarding the 2.2l's facing it and send it to TM in one correspondance, asking for a solution and rectification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
On the Krr noise front, I received a email from my BIL who in HMIL and I quote from his email:

Quote:
Any way hows your Safari doing? I saw you are facing a problem of some krrr noise while sudden accelerator pressing.

I had faced a similar problem sometime back in a Verna CRDi and found out that in the the EGR there is a Waste gate actuator which has a inbuilt diaphragm which moves to operate the waste gate linkage when intake pressure becomes excessive. If the diaphragm or, the spring tension is not very very accurate, it results in a slight kur kur noise on sudden acceleration but this will not happen on gradual accelerator pressing.

Sadly we had to replace the whole turbo assly as it is not allowed to be opened in a dealer workshop and goes back to technical section under warranty.
Unquote.

He did tell me later on that the above change has eliminated the noise.

This brings us to the moot question..
Almost all the Safaris on this forum (except for the 1st lot vehicles - ADC please excuse) have the Krr noise.
It is therefore not a localised problem restricted to a few vehicles.
Did TM change the source of the EGR or have they reprogrammed/modified the ECU after launch ?
Old 11th June 2008, 13:56   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
"Follow me home, illuminate your path after parking"

I was looking for a solution to disable this feature which is generally not required for me (95% of times) and just uses up the battery. Although I couldn't find a solution but a workaround.

At night (even if parking lights are ON) and once you switch off the engine and open the door, this feature gets activated, so what's the trick!!!

- Once you are out of the Safari, Press the "unlock" button on remote (yes, unlock and not lock)
- The lights will immediately switch off.
- Now press the "Lock" button and moveon.

Vola!!! No more "follow me home".
Dadu,

Can you confirm this:

The follow me home gets activated once you switch off and take the key out. and not when you open the door.

Once you open the door, and unlock-->lock, the feature gets disabled, as you mentioned.
Old 11th June 2008, 14:40   #366
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, i think the english wasnt clear enough.

The feature doesnt get disabled but overridden for that particular instance of locking(you have to follow it everytime at night locking to save the lamps/battery).

Its an override/ workaround and not a permanent disable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Dadu,

Can you confirm this:

The follow me home gets activated once you switch off and take the key out. and not when you open the door.

Once you open the door, and unlock-->lock, the feature gets disabled, as you mentioned.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:05   #367

Hi Guys,
I went through a good spot of trouble with my beast yesterday and wanted to sound off the problem to you guys before I called up manipal. Well here it is -

Its very usual of me to switch off my beast - or at least just have the audio system on - when I am standing at a long traffic signal ( more than 100 secs ). yesterday - twice - when I switched it off - once completely and once partially so that the audio still plays - the beast wouldnt start back again. No response when cranking the key, no unlock and lock buttons working. My keyless is the basic 3 button pirhana that the manipal guys fitted in. First I tried - what Dadu had tried when something simillar had happened to him before - that is, press the unlock button, but not even a single button on the pirhana was responding. next I opened the pirhana manual and tired to disarm the vehicle - press '*' for 3 seconds and then '*' again in the next 3 seconds...after 15-20 minutes of doing something or the other - it started. Next time - this lasted for about 30 minutes, and the funny thing was - in all these cases, nothing worked, not even the hazard lights came on - in the second time, when I opened and closed my door - the hazard light came on - but when I put the key in the lights on teh dashboard would just flash and then everythingw as OFF. I kept trying all possible combinations in the pirhana key in desperation and finally after 30 minutes or so, it came to life almost miraculously. Given that this happened in Bangalore, folks in bangalore can imagine, the kind of abuses I had to hear being stranded on the road with nothing working. I came home, without switching off my beast even for a second.

Guys, have any one of you ever faced this or heard anyone facing this ? Also what are your suggestions ? Would really appreciate any help you guys can give.

PS: I just had the change of the pulley at manipal's 2 weeks back !! That was the only significant change happening in my beast.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:30   #368
Senior - BHPian

Get the phirana security system checked by its authorised service center. IMO, thats what is causing the problem. Its immobilizing the whole vehicle.

Check for proper installation and working. Usually these aftermarket security fitments can cause quite some trouble like you have faced.

Pulley change is a mechanical change and nothing in electrical is touched.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:42   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Pulley change is a mechanical change and nothing in electrical is touched.
During the pulley change the TASS personnel (usually) disconnects the battery. (The TASS personnel ususllay disconnects the battery before they do anything in the engine bay )

If the battery is not disconnected with the system unlocked and with the vehicle de-immobilized, it may confuse the logic of the security system.

But then Vividisha faced the problem a good 2 weeks after the pulley change.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:47   #370
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividisha View Post
in all these cases, nothing worked, not even the hazard lights came on - in the second time, when I opened and closed my door - the hazard light came on - but when I put the key in the lights on teh dashboard would just flash and then everythingw as OFF.
My guess is you have loose Battery Lead, also get the battery checked..

If no electrical's work then it cannot be a fault with the Security System .....
Old 16th June 2008, 11:59   #371
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I forgot the ECU gets reset cause of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
During the pulley change the TASS personnel (usually) disconnects the battery. (The TASS personnel ususllay disconnects the battery before they do anything in the engine bay )

If the battery is not disconnected with the system unlocked and with the vehicle de-immobilized, it may confuse the logic of the security system.

But then Vividisha faced the problem a good 2 weeks after the pulley change.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:59   #372

@Dadu - Okay, I was guessing thats what the Manipal guys would say too :-) I can see a bangalore number on the pirhana manual, guess will give them a call.

@SUV - Is this something I can do visually / manually ?
Old 16th June 2008, 12:08   #373
Senior - BHPian

Yes, ask them for a resetting procedure for the security system since the safari ECU was reset.

Quote:
@Dadu - Okay, I was guessing thats what the Manipal guys would say too :-) I can see a bangalore number on the pirhana manual, guess will give them a call.

Old 16th June 2008, 12:10   #374
SUV
BHPian

Quote:

Open the Hood ... check if the battery cable's are loose ... tighten if necessary..

PS: have manipal check the earth lead to the chasis ...

Last edited by SUV : 16th June 2008 at 12:13.
Old 16th June 2008, 12:16   #375

Thanks guys, will do all of that and will update this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks