Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2007, 09:39   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 buying experience and 1200km updates

It's a bit long thread.

My buying experience was not so smooth. Initially I have booked the vehicle with Garuda and just before getting my vehicle Garuda has closed their dealership with GM and order was transferred to Sundaram. I had updated this in a separate thread at dealership experience. Some how I got the vehicle from Sundaram with 2 days delay and got it on November 2nd at 9pm night because of some ego issues with Sundaram and my leasing company.
Then I drove out the vehicle and after 4 - 5 kms only I noticed that malfunction indicator started glowing and odometer was also not working. Immediately I took the vehicle to Sundaram service center at Kasturba road and the time was around 9.30pm. They have checked the vehicle and told me some issues with sensors and asked me to bring the vehicle on next day morning. Again next day I took the vehicle and with in 15 minutes they had fixed the issues, told me they had replaced a sensor. I met one in charge person asked about PDI checklist. Then started a blame game between service people and sales guys. I wrote a mail to GM's marketing head (south) about this issues and he replied to me saying he will look into the issues.
After these initial issues, now I am really enjoying my drive. I have already covered 1200kms, which included one Yercaud trip during Deepali weekend.

Color - Blazing red
OTR - 6.68 lacs
I am using the stock Kenwood HU

Accessories added
Rear speakers - JBL GTO937
Beech Color floor mats

And the FE part, 1st tank full gave me around 12 on mixed conditions (50 km on Bangalore traffic, some highway drive, 70 km on ghat / hairpins (my yercaud trip) with always AC on.
2nd tank full gave me around 11+, completely on Bangalore traffic. All this are calculated on first 1000 km running

What I like the most

Suspension
Smooth engine and comfortable drive
Very less or nil cabin noise
Interiors are best in the class
Back seat is also in very comfortable position
Very good looking
Enough space inside
Enough boot space / enough leg space
Better gear shift compare to older aveo models, but still this is not best in the segment

Pros

I doubt person with height around 6ft height; do they have any problem with driving position, whether their knee will touch on bottom dash? I am just 5'6 so I am adjusted with that.
Little sluggish on 2nd and 3rd gears on slow speeds, but on higher speed no issues.
Horn size is a small round on the steering wheel.

Overall I am very much happy with the drive and performance. It's a VFM vehicle.

Some snaps

Old 4th December 2007, 12:50   #2
BHPian

Congratz man!
The engine will become more responsive as you clock more kilometers on the odo.
Enjoy your ride!
Old 5th December 2007, 22:31   #3
aks316

hey congrats.. after reading such good things about aveo i am more confused between honda city and chevy aveo..

Old 6th December 2007, 16:46   #4
BHPian

Thanks,
do take a test drive. Make sure that you are doing the test drive on a new aveo model.
Old 7th December 2007, 16:03   #5

Aveo 1.4 Limited Edition - purchased on 3rd Nov

Run for 1000 kms.

No issues, excellent interiors and very confortable drive.
I am around 5' 11'' and don't feel any issues with the driver seat.

I love the integrated audio system leather seats!

Mileage around 11+ (includes two small trips of around 100 kms)

Raj
Old 8th December 2007, 13:24   #6
BHPian

Congrats Rajeev. I am sure you will be enjoying your ride.

What Color you have chosen and what is the OTR?
How was your dealership experience?
Old 8th December 2007, 21:18   #7
BHPian

Congrats man!. Have fun with your baby!.
Old 10th December 2007, 11:47   #8
BHPian

kavu75 congrats on your new purchase, tomorrow 11th december i am giving my car for 1st servicing , it has done 4911kms , reason of doing the servicing now is , m going for a trip Mysore >> Kumbakonam(tamil naidu) >> Rameswaram >> Madurai>> Mysore.
I am getting somthing around 11-11+ in city driving , in highways its giving 15 kmpl.
i have never experienced my back seat comfortability as i am always in the drivers seat, but if u take my mom and wife's word , they are loving it .
recently i have noticed whenever i start my car there is a peculiar noise is coming which can be clearly heared .. well i will show it to service guys...

Apart from this as of now i never faced any issues in my car , the ride is too good. i have done 4911 kms in 2 months of my ownership, gone for long trips really aveo stands well in every trip, you take the car in 5th gear and then see how it responses to your pedal...
Old 10th December 2007, 17:48   #9
BHPian

I faced the same issue of delayed delivery due to ego issues between Sundaram motors and my company. Sundaram guys asked me to reach the showroom at 10:00 AM on a Friday to take delivery. After waiting there 2 hours with my family and friends, they told the car is still in the garage and they will deliver it by 4:00 PM. When I called them around 4 PM they told there are some payment related issues and they can give the delivery only next week. Then I shouted at them and clearly told that I wont take the delivery after that day and asked them to refund the booking amount. Finally they delivered the car at 8:30PM !! This is what happens if there is only one dealer in a city for any car.

Kavu, pls share the GM contact details. I want to write to GM.

Rgds
Arun
Old 12th December 2007, 22:33   #10
BHPian

guys, i checked out with gm dealer here in mysore regarding captiva, they are saying it will be launched in jan 2008 and the ex showroom price will be 19 lakhs, so on road it will be 20 lakhs ... isnt it too expensive, i thought gm will put this car in 12 to 16 lakhs bracket .. what's your opinion.
Old 13th December 2007, 08:52   #11
BHPian

madaboutCARS,
How was your first service? What was the issue with starting noise?
Here in Bangalore getting service done at Sundaram is little tough process, since they are the only 1 dealer we need to book in well advance.
I am also planning to go for a long drive on December last week, Bangalore-Kollam-Bangalore. It's going to be a 1400+km journey.
Old 13th December 2007, 10:35   #12
BHPian

here in mysore also you need to book things early, i booked it for tuesday, but when i wnt there i found out that all the service guys have went for some training, so there was a huge queue fo cars , service manager came to me as i was standing alone in a shade with dull face, he said bring the car tomorrow we will do it , i told you netter keep the car i will take it on wednesday, i reported following problems
1) alingment --car was dragging to left.
2) horn -- how do i explain, in hindi its called phata hua awaz in high speeds.
3) cold start -- whenever i use to start the car in mornign i could here this noise
4) under body damage if any.

After service :
1) alingment seems to be good.
2) horn as of now is good but need to tast at high speeds(100-120 kmph).
3) no under body damage.
4) noise : it seems to vanish, i didnt asked him much about that as i was in a hurry to go back to office , but today i started my car , the noise was not there.

5) he assured me that i can take my car to ranchi without any problem ...

overall experience : satisfactory.

what is there in kollam: well i will google it ...

have you gone towards belur ... roads are recently constructed and you drive your car to 120 kmph in those roads... you will just love it , the scenic beauty and roads will take your breathe away...
Old 13th December 2007, 10:46   #13
BHPian

in mysore als you have to book in advance.. i did it for tuesday but when i reached there , most of the guys have gone for some kind of training. there was only one service engineer who was attending all the customer , so he was sstressed out. service manger came to me and said to bring the car tomorrow as nobody is there , i told him to keep the car and give it on wednesday which he agreed.

issue reported :
1) horn: in hindi "phat hua awaz " in high speeds, i dont know how to tell this in english.
2) cold start: noise which can be heard inside the cabin also.
3) alingment: car was dragging to left.
4) underbody damage if any: as i had gone in that virajpet route while returning from kannur 30kms 2 and half hours taken to cross.

After service:
1) alingment : done properly.
2) no underbody damage.
3) gear shifting is now mre smooth : it might be my imagination.
4) noise: today mornign i started the car , there is no such noise which i was complaining , i didnt asked much about this to the service guy as i was in a hurry to return back to my office , but its gone now.
5) horn: need to be tested at high speeds(100-120 kmph)

did you got any greetings from gm , saying winter service which is between 24th to 29th .?

well this was my first service , but they charged me 1235 rs ... is it ok?
Old 13th December 2007, 12:57   #14
BHPian

Hi All,

I have been looking at the AVEO and still yet to decide which one to go for the 1.4 Limited edition or 1.6 with option pack??, color would be black, there are lots of threads on the AVEO in the intial test drive and long term ownership experience, but one thing that i have noticed is everyone seem's to be worried about the saftey factor. lots of them have hinted that its not all that safe car...espically with the Glove Box when opened, is almost on your lap and by chance you hard break u tend to hit the steering wheel as there was a link in one of the posts where european saftey board has rated the AVEO 1.5 out of 5 stars in terms of saftey and there is a link to read the full review.

Can somebody also tell me about the gap in the engine lot of ppl have noticed that there is a huge space or call it gap in the engine bay.

One of the Auto magazines, cant recall was it Autocar or Ovredrive...showed a pic of all new AVEO with new headlamp design similar to SX4 and all new Audi inspired front grill with huge chevy logo in middel which looked cool and macho to be launced in early 2009, does anyone kow if this would be comming to india?? if it is then i could wait for it. Can someone check with GM on this?

Please do let me know, thanks a lot guys... i would say instead of reading autocar or overdrive mag's ppl should check oout Team-bhp site, as you guys give out accurate reviews 1000 times better than the car mag's.

Regards,
Sajan
Old 14th December 2007, 11:17   #15
BHPian

One of the Auto magazines, cant recall was it Autocar or Ovredrive...showed a pic of all new AVEO with new headlamp design similar to SX4 and all new Audi inspired front grill with huge chevy logo in middel which looked cool and macho to be launced in early 2009, does anyone kow if this would be comming to india?? if it is then i could wait for it. Can someone check with GM on this?

Forget about those safety ratings ....... cars available in India are as safe / unsafe .... its just that they arent rated for safety as in Europe / America where its mandate.

Coming to the new look car thats the Aveo UVA and not the aveo sedan.
Even i had a long face when i read that news somewhere but later on came to know that its UVA and i am unaffected .

Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks