Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:30   #211
Senior - BHPian

Good for you having stood by your argument. Same thing was done by me, although I paid the amount upfront and wrote a mail to Ford about the charges. The extra amount charged was refunded.
Old 8th December 2010, 15:13   #212
Senior - BHPian

A question on GPS kit and windscreen film

I'm reviving a question on the prior page. Does anyone know if a GPS kit will be affected by sunfilm on the windscreen? I am going for a couple of months to the US and plan to buy a Garmin set.

I am not sure if installing sun-film on the windscreen will affect the GPS reception. Does anyone have any experience with this?

OT--I'll surely be missing my Fiesta for 2 months from this weekend. I wish I could have taken it along
Old 8th December 2010, 15:35   #213
BHPian

Re: A question on GPS kit and windscreen film

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I'm reviving a question on the prior page. Does anyone know if a GPS kit will be affected by sunfilm on the windscreen? I am going for a couple of months to the US and plan to buy a Garmin set.

I am not sure if installing sun-film on the windscreen will affect the GPS reception. Does anyone have any experience with this?

OT--I'll surely be missing my Fiesta for 2 months from this weekend. I wish I could have taken it along
I don't think sun film would affect GPS reception. Go ahead and have a fun time in the US.
Old 8th December 2010, 18:00   #214
Senior - BHPian

Re: A question on GPS kit and windscreen film

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
I don't think sun film would affect GPS reception. Go ahead and have a fun time in the US.
Thanks for your prompt response, @unni.ak. Hope to have fun in DC again.

BTW, i just started reading your travelogue. Keep it coming!
Old 12th March 2011, 19:52   #215
Senior - BHPian

Last Service under Extended Warranty

Folks,
After my return to India, I was aware that my car would be completing 4 years tomorrow, and my extended warranty would expire.

So to be on the safe side, I got her serviced today and also thoroughly inspected for issues others like Suman etc faced, like throttle body, electricals, brake discs, etc.

Fortunately (or should I say unfortunately), it came out clean on all counts. Therefore I paid Rs 2744 for the servicing charges (including oil change) and drove her home. It had only 25500 kms on the odo, thanks to my 2 visits to the U.S.A., apart from my low usage due to the absence of any long trips for the past 3 years.

I am eagerly waiting for my kids to complete their exams (Final Engg and 12th) so that the family gets a common period for a holiday with a long drive. I also want to test my new Garmin unit (nicknamed 'Olga') with the Satnav i installed a couple of days ago. I've so far enjoying the say she pronounces Indian street names.

So far, I am extremely happy with this vehicle, and it brings a smile on my face whenever I drive her. I did miss it badly during my trips abroad.

Will keep you guys updated on any post-warranty issues that may arise in the future.

Cheerio!
Old 13th March 2011, 11:45   #216
Senior - BHPian

re: 5 years with the Ford Fiesta 1.6 sxi ABS & still going Fida

One thing I forgot to mention in the prior post was that the Service Advisor asked me if I wanted to get the interiors cleaned and the seats polished.

When I asked how much it would cost, he said around Rs 1580. I declined because the interiors, per se, were decently maintained (I use Amway leather polish on my seats every two months). This apart, I knew that I could get the same treatment done at an FNG for a third of that price.

As regards the 12 V car charger outlet that I use for the Garmin GPS, I realized that power continues to be supplied to the unit even if the car is switched off and the key removed. I can figure this out by the light that glows on the side of the inlet plug of the GPS cord.

This is a perfect recipe for draining out the battery, if one does not remember to remove the plug from the socket. I am surprised that there is no mention of this in the manual. For that matter, even cars like the Sonata Embera have this problem, as we'd faced an issue with a completely drained out battery at Tirumala last year, despite a 600 km run the prior day.
Old 14th March 2011, 07:39   #217
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vnabhi,

Congratulations on completing 4 blissful years with the Fiesta. Just seemed like yesterday when I was reading your review during my sedan selection process and your views had helped me a lot when deciding for the Fiesta.

BTW does Ford not have extended extended warranty scheme, I mean above 4 years.

Could not agree less with your statment about bringing a smile, in my case its a big big grin when I sit in the driver's seat. Happy many more mile crunching and drive safely.
Old 14th March 2011, 10:55   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hi Vnabhi,

Congratulations on completing 4 blissful years with the Fiesta. Just seemed like yesterday when I was reading your review during my sedan selection process and your views had helped me a lot when deciding for the Fiesta.

BTW does Ford not have extended extended warranty scheme, I mean above 4 years.

Could not agree less with your statment about bringing a smile, in my case its a big big grin when I sit in the driver's seat. Happy many more mile crunching and drive safely.
Thanks ghodlur. I hope you've got your car touched up now---I remember reading that post of yours regarding the scratches on it.

Yes, time really flies--even I can't believe 4 years have gone by so fast---in fact it was on March 14th evening that I took delivery of the car.

Unfortunately Ford does not have any extended warranty beyond 4 years.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:15   #219
Senior - BHPian

Congrats & I agree that time flies, doesn't it! About the upholstery cleaning, I had got it done at the dealership, had cost around Rs 1,100 or so IIRC. Seats had become quite dirty & they did a really good job overall, including the ceiling etc. Although, in your case, since you have been doing it yourself on a regular basis, paying 1.5 k is quite a bit!

Wish you many more miles with smiles
Old 14th March 2011, 20:43   #220
BHPian

Re: Last Service under Extended Warranty

Quote:
Folks,
After my return to India, I was aware that my car would be completing 4 years tomorrow, and my extended warranty would expire.

Cheerio!

Congrats Vnabhi !
I hope you get to drive her more now as you not even 30 K in 4 years is not enjoying the beast. I got it that you were not in India and so the less kms. Keep revving and hope you have a nice drive this vacation.
Old 14th March 2011, 20:50   #221
Senior - BHPian

Re: Last Service under Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Congrats & I agree that time flies, doesn't it! About the upholstery cleaning, I had got it done at the dealership, had cost around Rs 1,100 or so IIRC. Seats had become quite dirty & they did a really good job overall, including the ceiling etc. Although, in your case, since you have been doing it yourself on a regular basis, paying 1.5 k is quite a bit!

Wish you many more miles with smiles
Thanks Suman. It has been my long-cherished dream to munch as many miles as you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Congrats Vnabhi !
I hope you get to drive her more now as you not even 30 K in 4 years is not enjoying the beast. I got it that you were not in India and so the less kms. Keep revving and hope you have a nice drive this vacation.
Thanks buddy. Right now I am chalking out a plan to visit Ooty, Munnar and Kodai in May, but as my brother and sister are flying down to Bangalore to start the trip, I am not sure if my kids will get tempted to fly instead of drive.
Old 14th March 2011, 20:57   #222
BHPian

4years!! Not bad. Wishing you many more years (if you wish to keep her around for a while that is!!). You do need to drive more. I'm almost at 60k in 3years and 2months!! Flying is for the really old!! Drive.
Old 14th March 2011, 22:27   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
4years!! Not bad. Wishing you many more years (if you wish to keep her around for a while that is!!). You do need to drive more. I'm almost at 60k in 3years and 2months!! Flying is for the really old!! Drive.
I agree, flying is for the aged. However kids these days seem to be fascinated by it, as perhaps they have not flown enough.

As regards mile munching, I'll surely give it a shot---but your diesel car perhaps justifies the big number you have munched so far.

Regards keeping the car, yes, I do plan to keep her for a few more years. If you look at the past cars I've owned, you'll understand: Maruti 800 for 12 years; WagonR for 10 years and still with me.

Perhaps I'll settle for 12 years as the benchmark.
Old 14th March 2011, 23:43   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy. Right now I am chalking out a plan to visit Ooty, Munnar and Kodai in May, but as my brother and sister are flying down to Bangalore to start the trip, I am not sure if my kids will get tempted to fly instead of drive.
Venu sir!! it must be a drive. I drove two times to Ooty last year in August and December and it was wonderful. You can easily drive upto Mysore the same day, and if you can beat the traffic at bangalore and save some time, then definitely Ooty is within touching distance from Mysore thereon.
It's time to unleash your car on the smooth tarmac and the ghats of ooty. pure nirvana is what you will experience.

Quote:
Perhaps I'll settle for 12 years as the benchmark.
12 years will it be ? I was just reading your report in the morning and was thinking , if you'll be replacing it in a year or two time, I might consider it
Old 15th March 2011, 10:35   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Venu sir!! it must be a drive. I drove two times to Ooty last year in August and December and it was wonderful. You can easily drive upto Mysore the same day, and if you can beat the traffic at bangalore and save some time, then definitely Ooty is within touching distance from Mysore thereon.
It's time to unleash your car on the smooth tarmac and the ghats of ooty. pure nirvana is what you will experience.
Thanks for the info, Manish. I'm mighty tempted now. But I wonder if Ooty to Munnar and then to Kodai are driveable. I guess I'll post a separate thread for that. I was wondering how 3 families could get to those places with Bangalore as the starting point. We are 4+3+4 members in all.

Last edited by vnabhi : 15th March 2011 at 10:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks