Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2010, 16:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

Very well maintained car CL ! Good to see someone taking care of the Tavera like you do, a very versatile car indeed !
Old 4th October 2010, 12:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Very well maintained car CL ! Good to see someone taking care of the Tavera like you do, a very versatile car indeed !
Thank you, Kannan666! Servicing Chevy is very important for me. And yes, Tavera is an all-rounder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice one CL! Chevy is maintained very well! Timelines somewhat similar on my side. My Ford is nearing 6 and has done 70K.
Just that you have driven much more and much longer!

PS: Long Drives dried up of late?
Thanks Ampere! We have done many short trips. A long drive might happen only at a later stage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
vow! Kudos to you for having maintained your vehicle (and the service history) in such great detail. It's very nice and shows how much you love your baby!

Almost 1L KM and vehicle is in such great shape! Honestly I did not have a very good opinion of Tavera UNTIL I read your posts! For how many more KMs do you plan to use it?

What is the maximum mileage you have seen on a well maintained Tavera?
Thank you, Vasanthn21. I take great care in maintaining my Chevy. Maintaining service history records is equally important, as I am able to find out exactly how much I am spending on Chevy!

For instance, I may not remember when my Chevy's brake pads were changed for the first time! One glance at my file and I am able to find out when the change took place and also when it was rotated!

I plan to keep Chevy with me for a long long time! At least till 3 lakh kilometres!

I have heard that some of my company's Taveras are giving 18 - 19 kmpl in highways. As far as I am concerned, I drive very fast. So my Chevy's mileage is approximately 15 - 16 kmpl most of the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
Chevy_lover, I also share the same passion as you with my Tavera. We bought it in 2007 and it is nearing 80000 kms now.
Everything you have mentioned here, I totally agree with it.

I am attaching below my Tavera review. Last time when I was home, I have done wooden finish for all the door handles of my Tavera and nowthe interiors truly looks like a top end car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...60000-kms.html
Great review, Jaisha. When an owner writes a review after using his vehicle for a long time, the value of the review increases ten fold!

One of the funniest reviews I read about the Tavera was in Mouthshut! One guy had the audacity to claim that 90% of the accidents in Kerala are caused by Taveras!!! He goes on to add that once there was a collision between a Tavera and an Omni! He claims that the passengers in the Omni escaped unhurt, while a passenger in the Tavera died!!! That guy's Imagination was really running wild!

But in Team BHP, we write ONLY about what we experienced!!! The beauty of Team Bhp is that we do not have any crappy reviews here, like the one I mentioned above!!!
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2010, 19:31   #63
Senior - BHPian

Chevy lover, I hope you recognize me. I recently drove a Tavera CHN-BLR and I was very impressed with the ride and FE. It was a privately maintained one like yours.

How do you manage the heavy clutch? Luckily I didnt have to use the clutch many times on the trip.
Old 6th October 2010, 01:57   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Chevy lover, I hope you recognize me. I recently drove a Tavera CHN-BLR and I was very impressed with the ride and FE. It was a privately maintained one like yours.

How do you manage the heavy clutch? Luckily I didnt have to use the clutch many times on the trip.
Hey Ajo, so good to hear from you after such a long time.

I am happy to hear that you liked the ride in a Tavera. Chevy is a superb highway cruiser!

To tell you the fact, my Chevy's clutch is quite soft. I regularly check and change the clutch oil. I also use the clutch very sparingly as I mentioned in an earlier post. Because of my careful usage, Chevy's clutch is still going strong even after 93,800 kms.

Your friend's Tavera might have had old oil in the clutch master. A heavy clutch could also be the result of wrong settings.

I have driven 960 kilometres in my Chevy in just 15 hours. I never felt any fatigue, even after reaching my destination. I felt that my Chevy's clutch was exceptionally smooth during that trip to Udaipur!! So I think that the heavy clutch you mentioned must be because of the oil.
Old 6th October 2010, 07:20   #65
BHPian

Great Review Chevy_Lover. Your personal experience and review has totally changed my view of the vehicle. I never thought of Tavera as a great personal vehicle, though I have seen so many being used as cabs. Also have heard about the mileage factor, that its high and thats why all these are being used as cabs.

But as a personal vehicle, you seem to be very happy about it.

Loved reading your post about the delivery. Its very well written and filled with emotion.

Many many more happy miles on your car.
Old 6th October 2010, 23:48   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrub View Post
Great Review Chevy_Lover. Your personal experience and review has totally changed my view of the vehicle. I never thought of Tavera as a great personal vehicle, though I have seen so many being used as cabs. Also have heard about the mileage factor, that its high and thats why all these are being used as cabs.

But as a personal vehicle, you seem to be very happy about it.

Loved reading your post about the delivery. Its very well written and filled with emotion.

Many many more happy miles on your car.
Thank you very much, backrub. As you said, Tavera is superb on all kinds of roads. Be it the superb expressways or be it the potholed NH 17 in Karnataka & Kerala. We have endured absolutely the worst roads in India. So our faith in Tavera is rock solid. If you go through my travelogues on Kerala and on Ooty, you can see some pics too!!!

Tavera can handle almost all kinds of terrains! When we returned from our trip to Sikkim, we were very impressed by the comfort of our Tavera cab. I booked my Tavera within a week after returning. We liked the car so much that I had no qualms about spending 10.5 L on the vehicle and accessories!!!

We wish to keep on driving and visiting all the incredibly beautiful places in India!
Old 27th November 2010, 15:45   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post

Tavera can handle almost all kinds of terrains!
I totally agree with you. I was always under the impression that the Qualis was the best. But Tavera took me over when I travelled to Goa. The comfort is unparalleled against a Qualis or sumo or even an innova for that matter. The potholes were taken so gently and you can literally feel the turbo working when at higher speeds (~100kph). Very comfortable journey. I think i'm in the transition stage from a Xylo/Qualis mindset to a Chevy. Before the goa trip i only had been in a tavera as a cab and never paid much attention. After this trip every day I prayed for the pickup cab to be a Tavera !!

Last edited by lancersfx : 27th November 2010 at 15:47. Reason: update.
Old 28th November 2010, 11:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
The comfort is unparalleled against a Qualis or sumo or even an innova for that matter.
Hey lancerfx, that's quite interesting ! Could you please compare the Innova and Tavera purely on the ride comfort & body roll, as my Dad is looking to buy one of these vehicles ?

@Chevylover, well maintained Chevy there, wishing you several more happy miles ahead !
Old 30th November 2010, 06:15   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hey lancerfx, that's quite interesting ! Could you please compare the Innova and Tavera purely on the ride comfort & body roll, as my Dad is looking to buy one of these vehicles ?
The Tavera might be a little bumpy compared to the Innova which is soft and will aid in long journeys with older folks travelling. However, given the choice I'd opt for the Tavera for the following reasons (Again ::
1. Ground clearance.
2. Suspension and ride comfort.
3. VFM.
Old 30th November 2010, 07:14   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Tavera might be a little bumpy compared to the Innova which is soft and will aid in long journeys with older folks travelling. However, given the choice I'd opt for the Tavera for the following reasons (Again ::
1. Ground clearance.
3. VFM.
How can bumpy ride and comfort go together. I was also fascinated during a recent Tavera ride in a cab.

I had earlier travelled in our company Tavera many times but it had not appealed then, probably the driver's skill would have played a part here.

Nice narration and responses to individual ones Chevvy lover.

Looking forward to your next long drive. Make it soon.

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th November 2010 at 07:16.
Old 30th November 2010, 07:18   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
How can bumpy ride and comfort go together. I was also fascinated during a recent Tavera ride in a cab.
I should've been more specific. The bumpy is not the back breaking bumpy kinds but soft and more of the sway types from a volvo.
Old 2nd December 2010, 02:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Ground clearance.
3. VFM.
Hey Lancersfx, your assessment of the Tavera is very good. But I must say that most of the Tavera cabs are not maintained well. So I cannot vouch for the ride comfort in a commercially used vehicle. The suspension needs to be oiled/ greased and the rubber bushes needs to be changed at regular intervals. Please refer to my service history file for more details.

As far as value for money is concerned, it is a big YES!

Innova has the ride quality of a car like the Corolla. But the ride quality is not so good in bad roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post

@Chevylover, well maintained Chevy there, wishing you several more happy miles ahead !
Hi Mooza, Tavera is very very sturdy and the high GC helps it to negotiate any kind of terrain. The body roll of the Tavera is also very manageable. Just for your knowledge, I drove through the Kodai and Ooty Ghats at more than 70 kmph most of the time. It was an absolutely exhilarating experience! I did not feel ANY body roll even at those speeds.

Disclaimer : Please be careful when taking on the curves and hairpins in an SUV/ MUV with a high centre of gravity. I drive fast ONLY because I have tons of experience on those kind of roads. Drive safe.

My Chevy is always in the pink of health! Thanks!

Quote:
I totally agree with you. I was always under the impression that the Qualis was the best. But Tavera took me over when I travelled to Goa. The comfort is unparalleled against a Qualis or sumo or even an innova for that matter. The potholes were taken so gently and you can literally feel the turbo working when at higher speeds (~100kph). Very comfortable journey. I think i'm in the transition stage from a Xylo/Qualis mindset to a Chevy. Before the goa trip i only had been in a tavera as a cab and never paid much attention. After this trip every day I prayed for the pickup cab to be a Tavera !!
Nice to hear about your admiration for the Tavera!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post

I had earlier travelled in our company Tavera many times but it had not appealed then, probably the driver's skill would have played a part here.

Nice narration and responses to individual ones Chevvy lover.

Looking forward to your next long drive. Make it soon.
Hi Rajeev, as I said earlier, the ride becomes bumpy when the suspension is not maintained well by commercially used Taveras. Once you travel in a Tavera owned, driven and maintained by a single owner, you'll feel the the difference in a second!

I really wish I could set out to the south again. I hope I will be able to entertain you with another travelogue!!!

Quote:
I should've been more specific. The bumpy is not the back breaking bumpy kinds but soft and more of the sway types from a volvo.
Oh yes. The sway of the Tavera, which I like so much. The feeling is almost similar to the one you get, when on a boat in the sea. The vehicle just eases over bumps and potholes.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 2nd December 2010 at 02:36.
Old 17th December 2010, 03:08   #73
Senior - BHPian

Update - 97,200 Kilometres and a story of cheating by Pashankar Auto!

Dear Team BHPians,

My Tavera completed 97,200 kilometres this week. The journey from 93,000 to 97,000 kilometres wasn't really a good one. I had to face a lot of issues with the company authorized service centre. Here goes the story.

I did the last service of my Chevy Baby at 93,861 kms on 30/09/2010. It was the 13th service of Chevy. The service was quite elaborate and the engine oil, coolant, brake pads, oil filter, air filter, etc were changed. I paid Rs. 7014 for the service and after a short inspection, I took delivery of my vehicle by 7 pm. I was in a hurry as I had to go to Mumbai the next day and I drove home without any further delay.

My wife and I left for Mumbai the next day by 5 am and the drive was smooth. I did not feel any trouble with the vehicle at first. But after passing khandala, I speeded up and I felt that the pulling wasn't upto the mark. I did not think too much about it at that point of time.

We reached Mumbai later that morning and parked our Chevy. I always check Chevy's engine after a long drive. When I touched the bonnet, it was burning hot, which had never ever happened earlier. When I opened the bonnet, I was shocked out of my senses. There was only very little coolant left in the reservoir. It was unexplainable since I had paid to change the coolant the previous day. I also noticed that the coolant was green in colour. I was very angry to see that the engine bay was very very dirty. Those idiots had not washed my car's engine and also the under body!!! I was really fuming at Pashankar Auto, but there was little I could do then. I filled up some water in the reservoir and returned back home to Pune later that day.

The next day I went to Pashankar Automobiles and called the service advisor out to my car. I asked him what colour was the Elf coolant that he had put in my Chevy, two days back. He gave me the answer I was expecting and which I knew already; RED! Then I showed him the liquid that was left in the coolant reservoir of my vehicle. I was 1000% sure that the coolant which was in my car was of Castrol, which I had put personally before my Udaipur trip. Castrol coolant is green in colour.

The service advisor was speechless. The next person who came out to inspect my Chevy was the service supervisor. He looked at my Chevy's engine bay for exactly three seconds and immediately ordered a mechanic to change the coolant. This was when I lost my composure. I blasted them with the choicest of biblical verses and demanded an immediate refund of the money they charged me for coolant replacement.

I took out my camera and clicked some pics.

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-coolant-1.jpg
My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-coolant-2.jpg

I told them that I would be sending the pics to GM's Customer service Manager and to the Times Of India. The supervisor started pleading with me and called the service manager, who came out, met me and invited me to his cabin. He was very apologetic and assured me that the coolant would be replaced immediately. I was very angry but I decided to accept his plea and get out of the place. I had a trip to Jalgaon the next day and I did not want my Chevy to suffer again.

That issue was settled amicably and I left that wretched place making a promise NEVER to return.

We left for Jalgaon the next day by 4 am. I drove sedately for about an hour or two at 100 kmph. Chevy's response was good then. But when I tried to accelerate to 130 kmph, which is my usual speed in NH, Chevy was very sluggish. I immediately got a feeling that those morons may not have changed the engine oil too. I was flabbergasted!!! During the past four years, I had never ever faced such an issue!

We somehow completed our trip and returned back to Pune. I checked my Chevy's engine oil and I found that the oil was completely black in colour and it resembled tar.

I took my Chevy to Bosch service centre a couple of weeks after this incident and did an engine oil flush and an engine de-carbonizing treatment. The amount of black smoke that came out from my Chevy's exhaust pipe was unbelievable!!!

I also changed the engine oil and oil filter. As I expected, the old engine oil was like tar and very thick. My mechanic was of the opinion that the oil looked older than 10,000 kms. The service advisor and the owner of Bosch centre, Mr. Rajesh, recommended the Bosch 15W40 engine oil highly and I accepted their suggestion. They told me that Bosch was much better than Elf, which GM recommends.

Now, after the treatments and the oil change, Chevy is back in peak form and I touched 130+ in NH4. The engine sound is much more refined now and the pickup has increased tremendously. Chevy is much smoother to drive now and I am enjoying every second I am spending behind the wheel. I am really happy that I could take remedial steps immediately before it was too late. I got a mileage of approximately 11.66 kmpl yesterday after a high speed run on NH4.

So guys and gals, beware of Pashankar. They are the biggest cheats I have come across in a long time. I was so happy with the service offered by Talera Motors. But sadly they stopped dealing with GM.

I am very happy with Bosch service. I was right near my Chevy during his treatment and I could see the professionalism with which the mechanics approached their jobs. I have attached my Chevy's updated service history sheet.

Tavera Service History_Chevy_lover_DEC2010.xls

This is all for now. Chevy is back to his best!!!
Old 17th December 2010, 05:58   #74
BHPian

Re: MY Tavera! Still my "Baby" after 51000 kilometres! Edit: Now a "toddler" after 93

Please don't stop it here, as per previous plan write a mail to General Motors on the same and you have also have Pictures as a proof to claim the dealer fraud activities.

Kindly update the post with GM response.

Happy motoring
Old 17th December 2010, 07:10   #75
BHPian

Re: MY Tavera! Still my "Baby" after 51000 kilometres! Edit: Now a "toddler" after 93

Hey Chevy_lover. I can understand the pain when your baby does not get the well deserved attention. I had similar stuff with Lathangi ford and wrote to the Director of Ford India ( Thanks to Team-Bhp as I got the email from one of the threads). Anyway I got a call from the lathangi service manager but still didn't get a satisfactory reply. Anyway thats another story. It seems like a never ending saga of hopeless service. Mechanics with the motto of REPLACE rather than repair or fix wherever possible. \

Good to know your new found Bosch service centre. Happy cruising.

130 + . I stick to 80 not more. lol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks