Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 12:03   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: MY Tavera! Still my "Baby" after 51000 kilometres! Edit: Now a "toddler" after 93

That is one very bad way of treating a vehicle.

Since you are, I guess, past the warranty period, would recommend that you do the service outside your authorized center.

Hope you do go ahead with escalation, will at least be beneficial to the others, if some action does get taken.

And good to know your vehicle is back as it should be. Happy driving!
Old 13th June 2011, 03:14   #77
Senior - BHPian

One Hundred Thousand Kilometres and counting.... on original Clutch...!!!

Dear Team BHPians, my Chevy baby completed 100,000 kilometres. My Chevy is probably the first Tavera in Team BHP to achieve this milestone!

It is such a proud moment for us. Chevy has been with us for the past five and a half years and we enjoyed each and every moment we spent driving around with him. It has been a very satisfying experience with my Chevy so far.

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-chevy-odo-1.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-chevy-odo-2.jpg

After I did the 97,000 kilometre service of Chevy, we went on a couple of long trips and lots of short drives. We had an absolutely amazing holiday in Goa and Chevy was instrumental in giving us some truly memorable days in the sun kissed beaches of Goa.

Here are the links to some of the travelogues I have written in Team Bhp. Chevy baby was an integral part of most of the trips.

Bhutan and Darjeeling Travelogue

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...g-gangtok.html

Udaipur Travelogue

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ity-world.html

Velankanni, Ooty & Kodai Travelogue

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...anal-ooty.html

TVM - Velankanni Travelogue

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...elankanni.html

Goa Travelogue

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...rient-goa.html

Now after completing the great milestone of 100,000 kilometres, let me explain how Chevy baby has been keeping up with us.

During the 14th service, which was done in Bosch Car Service Centre, I changed the engine oil to Bosch and also did a decarbonising treatment. All that was done during the service is explained in the service history file that I have attached along with this post.

I am always careful about Chevy’s shoes and did a wheel alignment, balancing and rotation before our Goa trip.

Chevy was simply superb during the trip and we had a terrific drive to Konkan. We went via Gagan Bawda ghats and the experience was superb. Chevy handled all kinds of terrain during the trip and we never felt any fatigue at the end of the day.

The Bosch engine oil was only marginally better than the Elf oil which was used by GM earlier. I could not feel much difference in the engine’s performance. The pickup and idling noise also did not improve much. It was due to these reasons that I researched Team Bhp extensively for a good engine oil. I interacted with Team Bhpian Khoj. He is an expert in oils and gave me all the required information. I decided to try out Shell and bought the HX6 15W40 oil for Chevy.

My Chevy crossed the 1 Lakh kilometre mark in April. His 15th service was due by 1,05, 000 kilometres, considering the fact that I try to keep Chevy’s service intervals to below 8500 kilometres.

I decided to do approach Shrishrimal Motors, one of the Bosch service centres in Pune, to do Chevy’s service on the 27th of May 2011. Chevy’s odo was at 103,648 kms. I had a good experience with this service centre the previous time. But during the 15th service, they completely messed up.

They just changed the oil filter, air filter and did a small checkup of Chevy. I insisted that they use only the Shell oil that I supplied. This was enough to make the owner angry and he showed his true colours. My Chevy was totally neglected and no other work was done on him. They did not even clean or wash Chevy.

I asked them to drain out the clutch oil and brake fluid and refill new oils. The mechanic and the owner/manager flatly refused stating that the oils should be changed only after 125,000 kilometres.

I knew that the figure they mentioned wasn’t right. I told them that I want the oil to be changed after every 40,000 kilometres and requested them to change it then. But they did not listen to me.

I had a massive fight with the owner, Mr. Rajesh, who told me that my presence in the service centre was ‘putting pressure’ on the mechanics. I was totally angry at him and took delivery of my vehicle immediately.

Folks, stay away from Shrishrimal motors, Pune. They are totally unprofessional and do not take care of the vehicles entrusted to them. I think they might be doing some shady business too! Otherwise, why should my presence add pressure on the mechanic???

I quickly put that episode behind me and went to the Castrol Pit Stop on NIBM road, Pune, the next day. I was pleasantly surprised to see the level of professionalism with which they treated each and every vehicle.

The service advisor, Mr. Narendra, wanted to take Chevy for a test drive and asked me to join him. I was floored by this gesture. Finally someone was genuinely interested in finding out what was wrong with my Chevy!!!

Thankfully there was nothing much to do except greasing the suspension and resetting the steering. There was a squeaking noise coming from the steering column and Narendra promised to rectify it. I went home peacefully after entrusting my vehicle in his care.

I returned to Pit Stop to collect my Chevy by 6 pm. Chevy was in immaculate condition and I was very satisfied. I checked the suspension and it was well greased and oiled. Narendra came with me for a test drive and we did a long circuit. I was completely satisfied with Chevy’s performance. The steering needed a slight adjustment, which was done in five minutes. Narendra was a gem of a person and totally understood how much Chevy means to me!!!

I had insisted that Chevy’s clutch oil and Brake fluid be replaced. I was asked to return to the centre the next day, as there were too many vehicles to be repaired that day.

The next day, both the oils were replaced. They used an imported German machine to create a vacuum and to pump oil out from the brake lines and used the same method to flush the clutch slave cylinder. Their work was totally professional and I was so happy that I tipped the mechanic handsomely after the work was completed.

Now my Chevy has run 104,800 kilometres. The Shell oil has worked wonders on Chevy’s engine. The idling noise is virtually nil and the pick-up has increased tremendously. We went to Lonavala during the weekend and I maintained 120 - 150 kmph on the expressway. The engine sound was very smooth and refined even at top speed. The clutch pedal has become butter smooth after the oil change. Now changing gears is a pleasure.

I would like to mention that Chevy baby is still running on his original clutch plates even after 104,000 kilometres!!! I am consistently getting a mileage of about 11 kmpl in the city and about 14 kmpl in the highways.

I use System D regularly and the effect is pronounced. The engine is much smoother and the exhaust fumes are not very visible now. I believe that the Shell oil that I am using now and the System D additive has to be thanked for this marked improvement. A huge thanks to my dear Khoj Bhai for helping me wholeheartedly!!!

I am attaching the Service history file of my Chevy.

Tavera Service History_TBHP_Chevy_lover_JUN2011.xls
Chevy_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 10:42   #78
Senior - BHPian

Re: MY Tavera! Still my "Baby" after 51000 kilometres! Edit: Now a "toddler" after 93

Congratulations Chevy_lover!! That's a fantastic milestone.
Have been reading your travelogue with the Tavera and I am impressed with the way you have been taking care of it.
100,000 km and above and still on original clutch plate is an awesome achievement considering your Tavera keeps company on both city roads and highways.
Few pics of your steed at this milestone would be wonderful and wishing you another 100k kms atleast on your Tavera.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 19:13   #79
BHPian

Re: My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!

Thanks Chevy. Even I read that crappy review on Mouthshut.com. Some people just like to give negative remarks about a car after travelling in it for a few kilometers. My close friend also bought this after I recommended him, he was looking for Scorpio/ Innova. He is really happy with it and he bought the full option one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Great review, Jaisha. When an owner writes a review after using his vehicle for a long time, the value of the review increases ten fold!

One of the funniest reviews I read about the Tavera was in Mouthshut! One guy had the audacity to claim that 90% of the accidents in Kerala are caused by Taveras!!! He goes on to add that once there was a collision between a Tavera and an Omni! He claims that the passengers in the Omni escaped unhurt, while a passenger in the Tavera died!!! That guy's Imagination was really running wild!

But in Team BHP, we write ONLY about what we experienced!!! The beauty of Team Bhp is that we do not have any crappy reviews here, like the one I mentioned above!!!

Last edited by jaisha8 : 20th June 2011 at 19:14.
Old 22nd June 2011, 20:40   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Congratulations Chevy_lover!! That's a fantastic milestone.
Have been reading your travelogue with the Tavera and I am impressed with the way you have been taking care of it.
100,000 km and above and still on original clutch plate is an awesome achievement considering your Tavera keeps company on both city roads and highways.
Few pics of your steed at this milestone would be wonderful and wishing you another 100k kms atleast on your Tavera.
Thanks a lot, friend, for the kind words of appreciation. Chevy is still on original clutch and is still running like a dream!

@ jaisha8, thanks for the comment.

I will be uploading some snaps of Chevy soon. I haven't had the opportunity to click some lately!

Update:

I did wheel alignment, tyre rotation (on rims too) and balancing of Chevy's tyres. The GoodYear Assurance tyres are simply superb and have had only one puncture so far. The grip they offer, even when cornering at 90+ km per hour is astounding .

I have been paying extra attention to the tyres and I must say that they have a great amount of tread left, even after approximately 35,000 kilometres of running. They are wearing out very evenly.

I would recommend the GoodYear Assurance tyres any day! I heard that there is Kevlar mixed in the tyre compound for better durability! The side walls are rock hard now.

I had the suspension greased during the last service at Castrol Pit Stop. The ride quality has improved a lot. The steering noise has also gone completely.

Folks, I need some help! Is there a way I can grease the suspension after every water service? How do I access the front suspension? I bought a can of grease and applied it liberally on the accelerator cable and steering rod nuts. Is there any other place I should grease regularly?

Chevy is still rattle free. The dashboard and the seats are rock solid and there is not even a squeak from the cabin, when I drive through rough roads.
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:34   #81
Senior - BHPian

You really want to grease the suspension and other parts yourself?!!!?
I am simply amazed that you have already bought a can of grease and dipping your hands in it too.
Hats off to you,but I really don't think greasing would be required after every wash.
Relax a little,take it easy,your Chevy is doing fine.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 00:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

The life you got from your Chevy baby's clutch plate is ample testimony to the skill in the way you ride the car instead of riding the clutch.
Wish you many many miles of fun filled on road adventure.
Looking forward to the next one. Where go you intend to head to.

I was not knowing that an oil could bring forth such a smooth change to the heart.

Last edited by rajeev k : 23rd June 2011 at 00:30.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 12:10   #83
BHPian

I wish to upgrade the tyres of my Tavera.
The present factory size of Tavera is 205/65 R15. I want to upgrade this to 255/70/R15. I would please like to know from the members if this 255/70/R15 would suit the present wheel rim. Would it show any difference in the actual speed and the one displayed on speedometer?

Please advice me on the above.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
I wish to upgrade the tyres of my Tavera.
The present factory size of Tavera is 205/65 R15. I want to upgrade this to 255/70/R15. I would please like to know from the members if this 255/70/R15 would suit the present wheel rim. Would it show any difference in the actual speed and the one displayed on speedometer?

Please advice me on the above.
There is no way you can fit such a huge tyre on a Tavera. The correct upsize would be 225/65/R15, if I remember correctly.

There are quite a few threads discussing about tyre upsizing in Team BHP. Please do a search for the same. There will be speedo meter error after upgrading the tyres.
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:31   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Once this speed limiting is removed by the service guys, it flies!!! It is a minor adjustment, which I found out very early and removed .

Well, I asked the service guy to remove this limiter, but he didn't seem to understand what I was talking about. He said that it was a part of the accelerator assembly or something.

Is it simple enough to remove it at my home?
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:04   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman689 View Post
Well, I asked the service guy to remove this limiter, but he didn't seem to understand what I was talking about. He said that it was a part of the accelerator assembly or something.

Is it simple enough to remove it at my home?
Sandy that assembly can be removed only with proper tools. It's all rubbish that the SA said to you. Come down to our locality I'm pretty sure someone will be able to do it for you at a nominal charge. Just inform me when you come. Infact this was the thread from where I came to know about that nifty little trick of that accelerator. Just wish those mechanics had some brains. Let us try it tomorrow morning if it's comfortable for you or someday soon. If agreed then PM me.
tacho9000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 06:50   #87
BHPian

Sounds great, I'll drop in sometime then.
Old 16th July 2013, 12:55   #88
BHPian

So had this limiter nut and bolt removed. Now there's a marked improve in performance
Thank you Chevy_lover for letting us know about this. And thank you tacho9000 for being such a great friend
Old 10th February 2015, 14:32   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: One Hundred Thousand Kilometres and counting.... on original Clutch...!!!

Quote:
Chevy_lover : I would like to mention that Chevy baby is still running on his original clutch plates even after 104,000 kilometres!!!
The Tavera is actually a stable / mature product that can go on. My cousin's Tavera LS has now crossed 1.9L km on the original clutch, in about 3 years. Most of the running has been in rural areas & highways. The vehicle has be driven mostly by one person, and is going steady without any problems.
Old 29th November 2016, 19:54   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

A second car - an Indica Vista - has reduced the running a bit, but this Tavera is now at 2.5L km and going strong. Cousin is wondering where can he find a replacement !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks