Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2008, 13:48   #16
BHPian

Its a lorry engine Glued on to a big plastic box and costs more than gold which is absurd
Old 8th June 2008, 14:02   #17
BHPian

Bumper logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
OT: i thought bumper is meant to absorb the impact. not meant to be 'solid'. if the bike is in bad shape but the bumper has not caved in, then the bumper has not done its job. IMHO.
The pliancy of a bumper is based greatly on the vehicle it is fixed on and is related directly to the mass of that vehicle. Crash tests are done onto a rigid body and damage to the passenger cell is determined at particular speeds.

If we were to put a plastic honeycomb/foil bumper from the Maruti stable onto the Volvo buses they would serve no purpose other than a aerodynamic embellishment.
Its the moving mass of the vehicle that decides the rigidity of the bumper and this principle is carried over to all crumple zones of a car.
Also do take note that there is very little crumple zone at the rear of the automobile built into a hatch like body. Rear is usually without crumple zones especially if its hatchback design with proximity of the passenger to the ends of the vehicle.

If you see the photographs below the fellow on the yamaha crashed into my car from behind. I had a small rupture on the bumper at the point where he hit my bumper near the silencer. He had bump on his head and a shattered gearbox casing ( see the oil spilled from his gearbox) and slightly bent front forks. If he had hit me from the front my car too would have had extensive damage because of the built in crumple zones. You are wondering how the gear box got hit; well the guy slid under the car sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
A word of Caution to All Safari Fans-picture18.jpg  

A word of Caution to All Safari Fans-picture19.jpg  

A word of Caution to All Safari Fans-picture20.jpg  

Last edited by drpullockaran : 8th June 2008 at 14:08.
Old 9th June 2008, 13:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I differ on this, SUMO (MUV)and Safari(SUV) are of 2 different genre, obviously their maintenance costs vary.Well i agree with the similar engine set up.

About the front grille, I changed my EX grille with the VX and i paid up only 6150/-
Well, what can I say. The EX and VX grill are essentially the same atleast on the 3.0 !!
The TATA guys have done some flimsy painting on the VX grille to make it for EX. I have an EX and my paint started to peel off at one point. I asked them to carefully remove the whole stuff and now it is a VX grille.

So, until you have replaced the grille for any damage, you have been taken for a ride. They may even sell your grille as VX after removing the flimsy paint
Old 9th June 2008, 13:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
From my experience, the capless number plate illumination bulb costs just 6Rs if you buy from a authorized Tata spares shop but 46 if from TASS!
Could this be the reason for the 50 % hike in prices I observed at TASS from October 07 ? I have not taken a printed version of the prices though, I will check out the next time I go there. I observed the difference for a couple of parts.

Can somebody complain to TATA and bring this discrepancy to notice

At this rate, the Safari will cost a huge amount of money once it is out of warranty to maintain
Old 10th June 2008, 20:30   #20
BHPian

Spares Price List

Can somebody post the price list for Safari DICOR ( either 3.0 or 2.2 ) which was prevalent last year ?
Old 11th June 2008, 14:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I recollect, that when the dealer changed my clutch & pressure plate under warranty, although i paid nothing, the parts were worth almost 8000rs.
IIRC, the Safari is most expensive (of course, in its segment) as far as the clutch and pressure plate is concerned. The maintenance cost of several vehicles was compared in an edition of Autocar (early 08 or late 07) and I remember seeing Scorpio's clutch and pressure plate to be about 2-3x cheaper (around 2.5-2.7K versus 7-8K for the Safari). If someone can get hold of that edition, it has a pretty decent list of spare-part prices.
Old 12th June 2008, 10:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

maybe i can be of some help:
TATA Safari Dicor: all figures are in indian rupees.
figures in BOLD means they are the highest in the segment and figures underlined means they are the lowest in the segment.

air filter 421
oil filter 182
fuel filter 6434
wiper blads 210
timing belt 991
fan belt 572
front brake pads 1396

A/C evaporator coil 4183
radiator hose set 640
front strut/shock absorber 832
front brake disc 1283
front suspension lower arm 3291
clutch & pressure plate 7524
clutch release bearing 1422

front bumper 10,161
wheel rim (each) 2136
front fender 2703
bonnet 8409
radiator 12,363
front door 16,901
tailgate 14,249
headlight assembly (each) 3,535
tail light assembly (each) 776
front windscreen glass 5310
side mirror with casing 3634

safari has the highest aggregate of spare prices (1,09,558 of safari v/s 93,762 of innova and 67,028 of scorpio)
Old 12th June 2008, 11:38   #23
Team-BHP Support

Normally Tata spare parts (Genuine) are available for about 60% cost in the outside market.
But the Auto makers in India are being allowed to run a monoply racket such that they can choose to void your warranty and force you to come to service centers authorized by them.

My advice to all Tata owners, the day your warranty expires, go outside and save lots of money. 99% of the time you will get better mechanics too!
Old 12th June 2008, 11:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
maybe i can be of some help:
TATA Safari Dicor: all figures are in indian rupees.
figures in BOLD means they are the highest in the segment and figures underlined means they are the lowest in the segment.

air filter 421
oil filter 182
fuel filter 6434
wiper blads 210
timing belt 991
fan belt 572
front brake pads 1396
This is a meaningless comparison because one needs to see the replacement interval as well. Also, please do not post incorrect data, your figures are not correct. My Safari had a fuel filter change at 30,000 kms (which is the recommended interval) & the cost was Rs 2,163 including taxes.

I'm wondering if this is turning into a Safari bashing thread, because I cannot fathom what the "aggregate" of the spare part costs prove?

Last edited by suman : 12th June 2008 at 11:51.
Old 12th June 2008, 11:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
This is a meaningless comparison because one needs to see the replacement interval as well. Also, please do not postr incorrect data, your figures are not correct. My Safari had a fuel filter change at 30,000 kms (which is the recommended interval) & the cost was Rs 2,163 including taxes - what is the source of the above?

Or are you turning this into a Safari bashing thread?
Suman, our 3.0 had the diesel filter changed(the one with sensors etc.,) and the cost was approx 4K . Total service cost came to slightly above 5K. This filter is changed every 25-30K kms.
However if you talk about accident repair costs due to only 50% payment on plastic parts, even a minor shunt will be very expensive to repair.
Moreover Tata labor charges for all vehicles are geared towards maximum money for service station.
Case in point Alternator bearing change.
To do this they take of the alternator belt, do the bearing change and put back the alternator belt.
Now suppose your alternator belt is also to be changed, these guys charge you Labor charge for bearing change + labor charge for Belt change(which is 300-400rs extra!).
Note that whether the old belt is used or new one fitted in, the labor is same, but cost doubles.
Same things happens in other things also.
the last time I went to Automobile sterling noida, it was for an electrical problem where one bulb was blowing regularly.
They checked the wiring for a few hours and found a simple defect in the coupler(the place where they should have checked first),
LAbor charge = 1000+rs.
That was my last visit to those thieves. They make you pay for their own incompetence.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th June 2008 at 11:55.
Old 12th June 2008, 11:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Suman, our 3.0 had the diesel filter changed(the one with sensors etc.,) and the cost was approx 4K . Total service cost came to slightly above 5K. This filter is changed every 25-30K kms.
Tanveer, please read my detailed post on 30k service where each component cost has been highlighted -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post830780

In any case, even for your 3.0 litre, where is the 6.4 k fuel filter cost quoted by Raj?

Last edited by suman : 12th June 2008 at 11:59.
Old 12th June 2008, 11:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Front (Bumper mounted) Foglamp - Rs.1,036 per unit (lhs replaced as it was damaged by a stone)

Centre Console Assembly (the plastic overlay) - Rs.2,177. (replaced as Centre Console was scratched and mutilated after several 'ICE' jobs)

BUT my service labour bill reads:

1. Oil Change Service (50,000 kms) - Rs.800
2. Engine Oil and Filter change labour - Rs.125
3. Standard Checks (four wheel brakes cleaning) - Rs.250

So Engine Oil and Filter change is not part of Oil Change Service
And what are 'Standard Checks' - shouldnt they be part of the "Standard" service?

Otherwise everything is in order. All fluids (Brake/Coolant/Transmission) changed at 50k.

PS: This BG Quick Clean Engine Flush seems to be a part of standard service these days - it is the first item on the bill at Rs.600/-

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th June 2008 at 11:57.
Old 12th June 2008, 12:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

PS: My fuel filter replacement was @ Rs.6,000+ OE price, 15% discount given by dealer so it went closer to Rs.5,000. That was at 30k, if I remember right.

You have the option of getting it 'cleaned' and refitted at a lower cost, but I opted to replace as recommended.
Old 12th June 2008, 12:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You have the option of getting it 'cleaned' and refitted at a lower cost, but I opted to replace as recommended.
I replaced as well; it was a Delphi that was fitted. Maybe prices have come down then because I would think that you & Tanveer would have got it done quite some time back? Mine was done in March this year.
Old 12th June 2008, 12:17   #30
Team-BHP Support

Our entire service was around 5K, 6K diesel filter...?
But I suspect that there is a possiblity of 2 diesel filters, one for 2-3K and other for 6K. The 6K one was cleaned, and the cheaper one replaced?
In the Indica there are 2 diesel filters in series. the first one requires replacement every 7000-1000kms, the second one is 15000-20000kms rated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks