Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2008, 22:09   #1
BHPian

A word of Caution to All Safari Fans

Hello Guys,

Glad to See that it is raining Safaris here.

I myself am a proud owner of 3.0 DICOR. One thing that comes to my mind after my recent visit to TATA workshop is the cost of ownership of Safari in the long run.

I have observed a 50% increase in the cost of spares of Safari from October 2007. Also, note that the labour cost is 40 % higher than SUMO for the same work. Please observe this like engine overhaul, clutch replacement etc for labour between SUMO and Safari. I think both need almost the same effort.

So, while TATAs are selling the Safari at a competitive price, is it their strategy to rip off the customers later ?

Going by the logic, Safaris were very few in number before 2005 and the spares were cheaper. By the law of volumes, the spares should not increase by 50% given that Tatas are selling more now. Something like the front grill costs 7000/- thats ridiculous for a piece of plastic. Even the bumper is costlier than innova.

Others please observe and share your thoughts.
Old 7th June 2008, 00:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well,thats alarming if its really happening.

@PowerRanger

Can you please list the Spares with old and new prices ?

i mean some details/comparisons will be nice to have.
Old 7th June 2008, 01:17   #3
Team-BHP Support

This thread also might be useful :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ance-cost.html

cya
R
Old 7th June 2008, 02:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Will get a chance to check out when I land in Ind - I'm driving straight from the airport to the dealer's to pick up my car that has been checked in for the 50k service.

Service costs (incl labour) were quite inexpensive. I wouldnt mind paying a small premium for having my vehicle treated like a passenger vehicle and not a taxi - which has been happening as a matter of course so far.

The Sumo and the Safari may share certain mechanicals and the work carried out may be similar in some cases, but the expectations of a passenger car or SUV owner is different from those of a taxi owner. If it requires a certain extra effort or care, it is not unreasonable to expect a certain extra cost - the big question is, HOW MUCH EXTRA ?????

For spares - there is no real justification for an increase. Has the price for bumpers and grilles been increased recently? power ranger - is your car in for accident repairs?

I've asked for all the dashboard, doorpad and gear console plastics to be replaced with VX specification trim. Will update on cost of the same.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th June 2008 at 02:02.
Old 7th June 2008, 04:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Something like the front grill costs 7000/- thats ridiculous for a piece of plastic.

Front Grill for Ex was always available for Rs.7000/-.
Lx one cones in for Rs.2500-Rs3000/-.
Old 7th June 2008, 07:11   #6
BHPian

IN relation to which model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post

I have observed a 50% increase in the cost of spares of Safari from October 2007. Also, note that the labour cost is 40 % higher than SUMO for the same work. Please observe this like engine overhaul, clutch replacement etc for labour between SUMO and Safari. I think both need almost the same effort.
I would like to know if its in relation to the new SUMO or the old one that the price differential in spares is being compared.
Old 7th June 2008, 08:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

There has to be a difference in cost of parts and service between a sumo & a safari. The sumo costs almost 5 lakh rs less than the safari. As is the case in India any vehicle commanding a premium price also has premium costs of spares and service. I do not have details but the cost of parts for the Innova are also close to similar and labor charges arent very different too, maybe +/- few hundred rupees(hearsay from my friends- no supporting statisitcs). While even a few hundred rupees makes a difference it should not be a cause for alarm for someone buying a vehicle for 9-12 lakhs. I recollect, that when the dealer changed my clutch & pressure plate under warranty, although i paid nothing, the parts were worth almost 8000rs. It may certainly be high compared to a 5lakh rs car but whats the difference for the same part for the innova and the scorpio. Can anyone shed light?

2 motorcyclists have already crashed big time into the back of my safari and the impact has been very hard. Both had their forks badly bent & injured their forearms,head, etc.
There was just a scratch on my stepney cover(which is barely noticable) but absolutely no damage to the rear bumper. I think the bumper plastics are very good quality.
Old 7th June 2008, 09:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
2 motorcyclists have already crashed big time into the back of my safari and the impact has been very hard. Both had their forks badly bent & injured their forearms,head, etc.
There was just a scratch on my stepney cover(which is barely noticable) but absolutely no damage to the rear bumper. I think the bumper plastics are very good quality.
I second that! I saw the remains of a Dio that crashed into my Safari. The whole front was shattered whereas my Safari had a couple of scratches on the rear bumper.
Old 7th June 2008, 09:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

OT: i thought bumper is meant to absorb the impact. not meant to be 'solid'. if the bike is in bad shape but the bumper has not caved in, then the bumper has not done its job. IMHO.
Old 7th June 2008, 11:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
OT: i thought bumper is meant to absorb the impact. not meant to be 'solid'. if the bike is in bad shape but the bumper has not caved in, then the bumper has not done its job. IMHO.
I beg to differ. My WagonR has taken several hits on the bumper from bikes and there is not a single dent. On the contrary, my pal's Santro took a single hit at the back from a bike and the bumper caved in (many Santro's have dented bumpers, if you've noticed).

This does not mean the Santro absorbed the shock better than the WagonR.
Old 7th June 2008, 20:10   #11
BHPian

The maintenance cost of DICOR is always high than a TCIC. Also the body parts of a TCIC are dead cheap, if you are buying outside of TASC.

For example the entire body bumper of a TCIC cost me INR. 35,000 but for a DICOR, TASC quoted INR. 1,20,000

And a brake booster for Safari (including TMC) costed me INR. 6500 in TVS, while the same (Yes, I AM 100% SURE the same BrakesIndia.com Booster) costs INR. 11,500 in TASC. (The MRP is INR. 8000 supplied by BrakesIndia.com)
Old 8th June 2008, 10:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The bumper is meant to absorb impact of crashes at a certain speed(i dont know wat speed). The bikes crasked into my safari when i breaked at approx 10kph and the second time i was stationary. In both cases the bikes were not above 20-30kph and braked before crashing, therfore no dent to my bumper. IMO if the bikes were at higher speed then im sure the damage to the riders wouldve been far greater and they would have to to be moved out in ambulances and i guess thats when the bumpers wouldve absorbed impact. Notably the safari bumpers are situated high therefore point of impact also differs wrt different vehicles.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 8th June 2008 at 10:32.
Old 8th June 2008, 10:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
The maintenance cost of DICOR is always high than a TCIC. Also the body parts of a TCIC are dead cheap, if you are buying outside of TASC.

For example the entire body bumper of a TCIC cost me INR. 35,000 but for a DICOR, TASC quoted INR. 1,20,000
But i dont see any difference between the TCIC & the Dicor bumpers, is it possible for you you to elaborate as to why the huge difference in price?

And a brake booster for Safari (including TMC) costed me INR. 6500 in TVS, while the same (Yes, I AM 100% SURE the same BrakesIndia.com Booster) costs INR. 11,500 in TASC. (The MRP is INR. 8000 supplied by BrakesIndia.com)
I think buying parts from an authorised dealer outside and then geting the work done from a TASS will be a better option. We stand to save quite a packet.
Old 8th June 2008, 12:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

From my experience, the capless number plate illumination bulb costs just 6Rs if you buy from a authorized Tata spares shop but 46 if from TASS!
Old 8th June 2008, 13:25   #15
BANNED

I differ on this, SUMO (MUV)and Safari(SUV) are of 2 different genre, obviously their maintenance costs vary.Well i agree with the similar engine set up.

About the front grille, I changed my EX grille with the VX and i paid up only 6150/-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks