Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 10:59   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I went from the stock tubed tyre (it was a JK) to tuberless on the stock rim and the change in handling, road grip and minimized bumb when going over pot holes was evident immediately!
Sri, this is a 796 CC engine. Expecting anything more of this well tuned engine is not fair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy
I run on 155/65 R13 Michelin XM1 and its handling is exceptional. Pls read my LTO, lots has been discussed there, specially on wet roads and during cornering at high speeds.

Even upgrading to Michelin tubeless or Turanza 145/80 R12 also makes a lot of difference.
Guys, thanks for your suggestions. I understand that this is a 796 CC, 47 BHP engine and I don't expect this to behave like a tiger. It is just that I have noticed a recent dip in pickup over the last few thousand kms( after my 10000 km service). So this has left me a bit baffled. Even in a stop-go traffic situation, I have noticed a gradual drop in getting off the mark.
I am due for 15 K service shortly and may be I will consult the service advisor.
I have been postponing the tyre upgrade for a long time, but I think it is time I got around doing this
Old 30th September 2008, 11:05   #17
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Abhi, what tyre upgrades do you suggest?
Also, I feel that the pick-up in my alto is a little less. When 2 people sit in the back, I find that I need to shift to first gear when climbing an incline. It just dies if I am in 2nd gear.
Hi Sridharps,

Like Abhi says, it is relative. Your approach speed (initial momentum) when you approach the base of the hill also matters. My car climbed the thoppur ghat on the trip to Trivandrum with ease on second gear and the a/c with 4 people and a full boot.

Cheers,

Pritish
Old 30th September 2008, 11:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Hi Sridharps,

Like Abhi says, it is relative. Your approach speed (initial momentum) when you approach the base of the hill also matters. My car climbed the thoppur ghat on the trip to Trivandrum with ease on second gear and the a/c with 4 people and a full boot.

Cheers,

Pritish
Totally. I have been driving cars for donkey's years and understand that. ( even if my engineering college professor failed to get some 'momentum' going in me.)
As I have explained below, I have noticed a relative dip after the 10 k service, which has left me baffled.
Old 30th September 2008, 11:17   #19
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, thanks for your suggestions. I understand that this is a 796 CC, 47 BHP engine and I don't expect this to behave like a tiger. It is just that I have noticed a recent dip in pickup over the last few thousand kms( after my 10000 km service). So this has left me a bit baffled. Even in a stop-go traffic situation, I have noticed a gradual drop in getting off the mark.
I am due for 15 K service shortly and may be I will consult the service advisor.
I have been postponing the tyre upgrade for a long time, but I think it is time I got around doing this
Yes, you do have to get it checked. The problem could be something as small as clogged injectors from bad fuel or even an choked air filter.

Do check it out at the 15 K service.

Cheers,

gpa
Old 30th September 2008, 11:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Totally. I have been driving cars for donkey's years and understand that. ( even if my engineering college professor failed to get some 'momentum' going in me.)
As I have explained below, I have noticed a relative dip after the 10 k service, which has left me baffled.
Ya Sri, Pls do a checkup with the MASS. Change the filter if required. I have K&N stock filter but dustup in every 5K service which I do.

Abhi
Old 30th September 2008, 12:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

[quote=sridharps;996920]...It is just that I have noticed a recent dip in pickup over the last few thousand kms( after my 10000 km service). So this has left me a bit baffled. Even in a stop-go traffic situation, I have noticed a gradual drop in getting off the mark...[.quote]

I do not think this should happen. After 52k kms of driving, I have noticed it is not as peppy as it used to be, but then after so many kms, this is bound to happen. But not at 10k~ kms. I think it might be just that you got used to the pickup and hence not find the earlier kick!

But then, as GPA and AK said, the most common culprit for a drop in pickup is the air filter. do get that checked.

Quote:
......I have been postponing the tyre upgrade for a long time, but I think it is time I got around doing this
With just around 10+k kms on the tyres, I would say you stick with them till they last (and last they did for me, till 40K and still were good for another 5k kms). But this is provided you are not facing any issues. But if you feel they are not giving enough grip, uncomfortable turns, etc, get them changed.
Old 30th September 2008, 12:48   #22
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Any change in your FE on upgrade of tyres?

[quote=akroy;996888]I run on 155/65 R13 Michelin XM1 and its handling is exceptional. Pls read my LTO, lots has been discussed there, specially on wet roads and during cornering at high speeds.

Hi Abhi,

As you mentioned about this, I'm just curious to ask. How has the tyre change affected the FE of your Alto. I've noticed that you've upgraded to a fairly large 155/65 set. Am sure this would have brought the car alive in terms of the handling characteristics, but what about the FE? Any considerable change?

Thanks,

Pritish
Old 30th September 2008, 12:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thread Moved to Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports section & title updated. Please PM any of the MODs to update KMs as & when the need be.
Old 30th September 2008, 15:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

[quote=gpa;997154]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I run on 155/65 R13 Michelin XM1 and its handling is exceptional. Pls read my LTO, lots has been discussed there, specially on wet roads and during cornering at high speeds.

Hi Abhi,

As you mentioned about this, I'm just curious to ask. How has the tyre change affected the FE of your Alto. I've noticed that you've upgraded to a fairly large 155/65 set. Am sure this would have brought the car alive in terms of the handling characteristics, but what about the FE? Any considerable change?

Thanks,

Pritish
Pritish,
Request you to please check my xls sheets which I have posted in my LTO report. you will get an idea of all the FE details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...dated-30k.html

Abhi
Old 30th September 2008, 18:27   #25
BHPian

Hi gpa,

Can you please share your xls template for keeping track of FE? I will use it for my own Alto
Old 30th September 2008, 20:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good comprehensive ownership report Pritish. Glad to know that you are getting such good mileage figures on your alto. In this segmet, alto is the best car and you can never go wrong with it.
Congrats on your purchase and the amount of driving that you have done in such a short span of time, shows your passion for your car and driving in particular.
Old 1st October 2008, 14:40   #27
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Good comprehensive ownership report Pritish. Glad to know that you are getting such good mileage figures on your alto. In this segmet, alto is the best car and you can never go wrong with it.
Congrats on your purchase and the amount of driving that you have done in such a short span of time, shows your passion for your car and driving in particular.

Thanks abhinav,

Yes, I do want to contribute to this forum and hence I started this thread. Yes, I do enjoy driving and hence drive a lot. I find driving a big stress buster and hence drive a lot.

Stay tuned to this thread for many more detailed updates.

Cheers,

Pritish
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:22   #28

Total Paid for Alto

I'm thinking of buying an Alto, can you guys please share with me a breakdown of the total amount paid? Cost + Insurance + Tax + registration etc.

thanks,

Hari
Old 4th October 2008, 11:00   #29
gpa
Senior - BHPian

I'm thinking of buying an Alto, can you guys please share with me a breakdown of the total amount paid? Cost + Insurance + Tax + registration etc.

thanks,

Hari

Hi Hari,

The best way would be to actually go to a dealership and check these prices out. Prices vary from dealer to dealer by atleast Rs. 5,000.

It would be best if you visited dealerships. I do hope you go in for the Alto. Like many members of this forum, I am the owner of one, and let me tell you it is a great VFM buy.

Cheers,

Pritish
Old 16th November 2008, 18:09   #30
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
With just around 10+k kms on the tyres, I would say you stick with them till they last (and last they did for me, till 40K and still were good for another 5k kms).
Hi HW,

Just curious to know which set of tyres are you talking about. I have a set of S 322 on my Santro and they still are in excellent shape after 49,000 kms on the clock. Am planning to change them in a few months, as they still have good usable tread depth left.

Do let me know.

Thanks,

gpa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks