Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2009, 16:38   #46
BHPian

Hi Thearun,

How is the Safari doing now, long since an update came in on this tread from your side.
Old 13th February 2009, 12:21   #47
Senior - BHPian

Arun
Just read your whole thread. You definitely have got an amazing vehicle.
Was wondering about the repair bill that you stumbled on. What conclusion did you come to about that??
Old 17th February 2009, 13:57   #48
BHPian

A belated welcome to the Safari Club.

The TCIC safari was the vehicle that got me stuck to the Safari ~ 10 years back. I had been longing for this vehicle ever since. A want that I fulfilled only recently.

BTW these these Safaris supposedly had 2 AC compressors (at least the initial vehicles did!!).
The 2nd compressor was for the AC controls in the 3rd row.

Can you confirm the presence of the 2nd AC compressor. It should be below the regular AC Compressor .. Thanks
Old 17th February 2009, 14:17   #49
BANNED

That newer tail lights and the 3.0 Ltr spare wheel cover gives your Safari rear a great look, Why dont you get the spoiler with those prancing lights also. That would complete your rear look.
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday was a red letter day in my life. I clocked my personal 'fastest speed at the wheel'. It may not be too much of a deal for many of you, but it definitely was a defining moment for me.

Was taking the SAFARI to work, and happened to be placed first at the signal lights, with a long straight empty road ahead.

I floored the accelerator, hit 100 in a jiffy, then the needle kept moving and moving and I felt my eyes popping out. My guts and the road ran out with the vehicle at 120 KMPH.

The best part was, that it looked good for more, and it was rock solid at 120. Could tell the speed only by looking at the speedmeter.

Has anyone done insane speeds on the SAFARI? What's its capability like? Please let me know

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Idiocyncracies of the SAFARI AC

It all started when the AC did not work while driving back home on the first day. It worked like a treat during the test drive. Was reading up so mcuh stuff about the SAFARI, that I figured out that the AC fuse blowing was the most frequent problem encountered.

I took it to PRERANA (Tata authorised service station) and the guys were able to get the AC up and running.

The AC was working on an off, and by trial and error I was able to figure out how to get the AC to work

There are 3 switches for the AC. 2 on the dashboard and 1 in the dicky. The dashboard ones are marked 'front' and 'rear'.

The AC works well when the blower is switched on and - only the 'front' button - is switched on. There is less air going to the back seat but the vehicle gets cool. Problem starts when you press 'front' and 'rear' together. The AC does not work then. Its only the blower. Switch off the AC and then switch on only the 'front' button on the dashboard, the AC comes back to life. After a little bit of cooling, if the 'rear' is switched on, then it continues to work. The rear seats get added air flow from the vents at the mid console when the 'rear' AC button is switched on.

Have got to experiment a lot more to figure out how the AC's mind works, or maybe the problem will solve itself at the next service.
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Yesterday was a red letter day in my life. I clocked my personal 'fastest speed at the wheel'. It may not be too much of a deal for many of you, but it definitely was a defining moment for me.

Has anyone done insane speeds on the SAFARI? What's its capability like? Please let me know

Cheers
I was with theMag when Vid did his best; that was the first time he was taking his Lancer to its max. He had the car for 5 years.

Quote:
There are 3 switches for the AC. 2 on the dashboard and 1 in the dicky. The dashboard ones are marked 'front' and 'rear'.

The AC works well when the blower is switched on and - only the 'front' button - is switched on. There is less air going to the back seat but the vehicle gets cool. Problem starts when you press 'front' and 'rear' together. The AC does not work then.
This is only for the TCIC?
Old 20th May 2009, 09:52   #53
Senior - BHPian

Giving the SAFARI the Arun touch

I've been able to give the SAFARI a few small touches which I think it needed.
  1. On popular demand I took off the bonnet scoop. It was an ornamental thing that thankfully was 'stuck on' by the previous owner with twin side tape. It came off with some pricing from a swiss knife, the marks still remain and I've left it for time to let them fade away.
  2. I got a pair of YOKOHAMA GEOLANDARS for the rear. The rear was crying for new set of shoes and did a thorough survey of SAFARI tyres in Bangalore and found that you could get tyres from 3,500 to 7,000. Finally settled for the GEOLANDARS at Prithvi's tyre station Kammanahalli. They costed me 5,100 a piece. The vehicle has now gained in height at the rear, the stance has changed and the ride is also more grippy. Best part is the peace of mind that new rubber brings
  3. Finally, got the front sun screen peeled off for 80 bucks. Saw these security vehicles in the english serials and films that were jet black but had transparent front windows, thought they would suit the SAFARI well. The view has improved dramatically, its brighter and now people can see the insides which makes it a little more special. Its a boon at nights and when raining too.
Here are some latest pictures
Attached Thumbnails
TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-geolandar.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-new-front.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-new-front-three-quarters.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-new-rear-three-quarters.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-new-side.jpg  

Old 20th May 2009, 14:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hey Arun
I might be wrong here in saying this, but whenever I have seen people buy two tyres they generally put them in the front and then in the back put the ones that they want to keep and discard the ones that are of no use.
So any specific reason for not doing it in this order???
Old 20th May 2009, 16:40   #55
BHPian

Maybe because its an RWD !
Old 20th May 2009, 20:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Mysore

A few sundays ago I got an opportunity to take the SAFARI to Mysore. Its 140 kilometers from Bangalore, and the drive involed 300 kilometers in all(My longest drive in the SAFARI).

The vehilce performed like a dream. Here are a few observations
  • Was able to overtake the QUALIS easily. There were so many of them and they could be beaten so easily. The TAVERA was a tough customer and put up a fight but the SAFARI scraped through in the end. The SCORPIO comprehensively beat the SAFARI on the highway
  • It was so easy to drive and 300 kilometers in a day did not feel tiresome at all. With only 2 people aboard, the SAFARI felt light and eager
  • You've got to keep it in the rev band to get maximum assistance from the turbo-charger. If you fall below 2000, then you have to wait for the turbo to spool up before you are back in business
  • It commands immense respect and people were staring at us with jealousy in their eyes literally
  • The engine never crossed the half way mark on the temperature guage and the vehicle did not lose any fluids. Average mileage was 10kmpl with a back of the envelope calculation
  • Its most relaxed crusing at 80kmph. Anything other than that seems a little bit of strain, but it can go on all day long at 80kmph
Old 21st May 2009, 13:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
[*]It was so easy to drive and 300 kilometers in a day did not feel tiresome at all.
I have done 680kms trip up and down on the same day more than once. The seats are so good that you are completely fresh at the end of the journey. But it was me alone!

Quote:
Average mileage was 10kmpl with a back of the envelope calculation. Its most relaxed crusing at 80kmph. Anything other than that seems a little bit of strain, but it can go on all day long at 80kmph
Only once in one of the trips mentioned above, maintaining speeds at around 65kph with AC, I managed a 14.5kpl. Otherwise the averages always used to be between 10 and 11 only with AC on.
Old 21st May 2009, 13:26   #58
BANNED

Quote:
The 3.0 DiCOR will hit 160 kph in 5th - it will NOT cross 160 kph in stock form. Downhill, wind assist etc. do not matter - the ECU(s) ensure you cannot cross 160 kph.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
The 3.0 DiCOR will hit 160 kph in 5th - it will NOT cross 160 kph in stock form. Downhill, wind assist etc. do not matter - the ECU(s) ensure you cannot cross 160 kph.
Any idea what the 2.2 will do ?

And to think I still have to "run her in"
Old 21st May 2009, 15:56   #60
Senior - BHPian

The 2.2 will hit 160.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks